Take TV Shows In iTunes 7 and Burn to DVD?

sandmanfvrga

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking, the TV Shows are 640x480 resolution and that would look really good on a tv and I think most tv shows that are not high def are 640x480 (don't quote me on that). Since DVD resolution is 720x480 I don't see a big or even noticeable qaulity lose if you play them on the TV.

What I was thinking was, what if we could take our TV Shows and make our own DVD's and emliminate buying box sets in the stores? That would be great. I don't have any shows right now, so I don't know if we can do that. Comments?

Guest goodtime
I was thinking, the TV Shows are 640x480 resolution and that would look really good on a tv and I think most tv shows that are not high def are 640x480 (don't quote me on that). Since DVD resolution is 720x480 I don't see a big or even noticeable qaulity lose if you play them on the TV.

What I was thinking was, what if we could take our TV Shows and make our own DVD's and emliminate buying box sets in the stores? That would be great. I don't have any shows right now, so I don't know if we can do that. Comments?

Unless you can break the DRM Apple's QT Videos, the license under the DRM only allows you to burn a Data DVD or CD for archival purposes. You cannot convert the Mpeg 4 video to a Mpeg 2 to burn to a DVD. You probably "could" extract the Audio using QTFairuse6 on Windows from iTunes. But then you could have to take the Video only and convert it to Mpeg2 and them pair it back up with your Audio. I don't know if the video itself is protected. I do know the soundtrack is AAC protected.

Keep in mind re-encoding video from one format to another can be a lengthy time consuming process. If you want to watch video on a TV, you have three current options. Get a RCA or S-Video out card for your Mac and hook it up to a TV. It will probably be blurry. Haven't personally tried this but it seems reasonable that it might work. A second option, get a Video iPod. Transfer the video to your Video iPod and then hook up your iPod to your TV. I think the iPod is RCA out only. Not sure how good the video is. It is also probably downgraded to 320x240 and not 640x480. I don't have an iPod. So I can't confirm. Someone out there who has one please back me up. The third option. You could get a Mac Mini and hook it up to a TV that has DVI-D in or get a HDMI to DVI-D Converter. Then you would have to pump the sound separately because DVI-D only supports video. This will work, but you are taking around 499.99 for a Mac Mini and you need a TV that has DVI-D or HDMI. You would want to get the Wireless keyboard and mouse, so that is around another 100 bucks (who wants a Mac in there living room with wires all over the place?) Buy the time I buy a HDTV, it better have HDMI plus a DVI-D port, or I'm not buying one!

I currently watch most of my iTunes TV Shows on my Laptop or Desktop.

I agree it would be nice to burn them but such is the iTunes business model. I'd rather not go through the trouble. It's easier to rip the data from a bought DVD to a computer the tools are already there and it's more standard. Honestly the DVDs dont cost all that much more if any than the iTunes version, what with movies ranging from 9.99 - 14.99. It is nice to have a physical copy too.

I've done my share of video converting, but I don't see why Apple doesn't let us burn them. We OWN the damn shows thus we have the right to view them on pc, laptop, ipod, or dvd. Somebody will do it if Apple doesn't.

No, you've simply bought a license to use them, which has terms of use.

Guest goodtime
True, legal {censored}. Funny our license for music isn't like that.

If it wasn't for the current Movie DRM, the Movie companies would never have went for it. Blame the Movie stoogies, not Steve Jobs.

To be perfectly honest, Apple's business model is very convenient for me. I download a movie when I want it. I don't have to wait very long for delivery or spend time travelling back and forth to the Movie store.

I can infact, watch the movies on my TV using S-video out from my PC Laptop using Quicktime 7.1.3 from Windows. It's clearer than than broadcast Television and just as clear is Satellite TV. It works just as good as a DVD without worrying about getting the DVD Scratched up. Big plus in my home. Most movies are only $9.99. No time limit and you can watch it again whenever you want. Go to the Movies for 20.00 plus popcorn. Go to Blockbuster and if you don't return the movie in time, you bought it for $24.99. Apple is leading the way towards digital distribution. No one else is doing it better.

The only con is the DRM and you have to live with the encoding.

True rippping DVDs is better because you can pick the quality and resolution settings yourself, but you 1st have to obtain the DVD and then RIP it and wait and hour. In nearly half the time, you could have downloaded the movie on iTunes and watched it.

I am going to one day have a Mac Mini hooked up to my home entertainment system when I get a HDTV. I might toss out Cable all together. Go with Digital HD over the air for local stations and use iTunes over DSL for Movies and TV Shows that we missed. I love getting my shows on Demand and love not having to use a TiVo subscription to do it. iTunes is a great because you only pay for what you want to watch vs. Cable and TiVo which nickel and dime you for all you've got with crappy programming and low quality super lossy Mpeg2 video from Digital Cable in return. I love Apple and I obsolutely dispise TimeWarner/AOL.

Go Steve Go!

GT

If it wasn't for the current Movie DRM, the Movie companies would never have went for it. Blame the Movie stoogies, not Steve Jobs.

To be perfectly honest, Apple's business model is very convenient for me. I download a movie when I want it. I don't have to wait very long for delivery or spend time travelling back and forth to the Movie store.

I can infact, watch the movies on my TV using S-video out from my PC Laptop using Quicktime 7.1.3 from Windows. It's clearer than than broadcast Television and just as clear is Satellite TV. It works just as good as a DVD without worrying about getting the DVD Scratched up. Big plus in my home. Most movies are only $9.99. No time limit and you can watch it again whenever you want. Go to the Movies for 20.00 plus popcorn. Go to Blockbuster and if you don't return the movie in time, you bought it for $24.99. Apple is leading the way towards digital distribution. No one else is doing it better.

The only con is the DRM and you have to live with the encoding.

True rippping DVDs is better because you can pick the quality and resolution settings yourself, but you 1st have to obtain the DVD and then RIP it and wait and hour. In nearly half the time, you could have downloaded the movie on iTunes and watched it.

I am going to one day have a Mac Mini hooked up to my home entertainment system when I get a HDTV. I might toss out Cable all together. Go with Digital HD over the air for local stations and use iTunes over DSL for Movies and TV Shows that we missed. I love getting my shows on Demand and love not having to use a TiVo subscription to do it. iTunes is a great because you only pay for what you want to watch vs. Cable and TiVo which nickel and dime you for all you've got with crappy programming and low quality super lossy Mpeg2 video from Digital Cable in return. I love Apple and I obsolutely dispise TimeWarner/AOL.

Go Steve Go!

GT

Problem is no DTS or Surround sound....... If you are for 2 channel audio then fine... But if you own a surround sound setup.... it's not going to sound as good.