Intel PRO/1000 MT PCI-X Help needed...

1 post in this topic

Hi Guys.

This is my first post so go easy on me ;) I've been following this excellent forum for a while during my various Hackintosh projects. I've finally come up against one problem I can't seem to solve.

I have managed to get a fully working install of 10.6.8 on my Dell Precision 490 desktop. Everything is pretty much great apart from Networking. I'm currently using an Edimax USB dongle with 130mbps capability, which is ok but I really wanted to be able to use Ethernet. The onboard ethernet just doesn't work and apparently won't so I opted for a Intel PRO/1000 MT card. I went for a PCI-X version as the computer has two of these slots... plus it was cheaper than the PCIe versions (maybe a mistake ;)

Here is the card I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230825560329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2023wt_1044

On plugging it in and starting up I was told 'Two new connections have been found' ... all good at this point. The connections show up in the Network prefs but other than that I am not able to get any action out of them. They constantly say "the cable is disconnected' or something similar.

I've googled the hell out of the issue and tried all sorts of Kexts and drivers (including the recommended E1000.kext) with no change. I even changed to a new PCIfamily kext which nearly broke my install but managed to rescue it ;)

Has anyone managed to get one of these working? I know some are using the PCIe version? Is it due to the fact it's PCI-X maybe? I was thinking about buying a HP NC360T but this would be about £40 and would want to be 100% sure this would work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400312684902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1457wt_1141

Any help here would be really appreciated, or even a suggestion of a card that will just work out of the box!!

Thanks in advance.