Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook (Inspiron 7720) - Can run Mac OS X

Coasterghost

200 posts in this topic

Benchmark results: http://browser.prima...kbench2/1643849

I put some effort in the DSDT last night. A quick summary of everything included up to now:

- The SSDT tables have been merged in to the DSDT, so the SSDT is not needed anymore.

- Fan control

- Speedstep/Sleep/Wake

- Audio (With patched AppleHDA)

- Brightness control (Only in System Preferences)

- HD4000 Graphics (No need for EFI string)

- Nvdia GPU disabled (Saver power and keeps the system a lot cooler/Battery life has doubled)

- FN keys for audio/sleep/wifi

The changes since the last DSDT are marked in blue. The code is a mess at the moment, i still need organize is a bit more.

This DSDT may, or may not work for you, use with caution, and always make a backup before replacing files.

Ow, and it still has the code for the AR9285 included :P

DSDT.aml.zip

- The SSDT tables have been merged in to the DSDT, so the SSDT is not needed anymore.

- Fan control

Dunno how to check.. :)

- Speedstep/Sleep/Wake

Already worked

- Audio (With patched AppleHDA)

Already worked

- Brightness control (Only in System Preferences)

Already worked

- HD4000 Graphics (No need for EFI string)

YES! No more Device ID!

- Nvdia GPU disabled (Saver power and keeps the system a lot cooler/Battery life has doubled)..

Can't say, will need some testing for that... though the GPU is listed in Sys info.

- FN keys for audio/sleep/wifi

Yes.

About USB 3.0: I am on the same boat. If I use IOUSBFamily + PXHCD or only IOUSBFamily = USB 3.0 but no USB 2.0 :/

But my WEBCAM starts working with any IOUSBFamily (patched or Vanilla)...!!!

I can't live without USB 2.0 cuz my WiFi dongle doesn't work that way......

Removed them and back to USB 2.0 and WEBCAM stopped working.... :\

Maybe there will be a fix soon......

Any way to enable HDMI yet??

Thanks for your efforts Lejenk!! :)

Yes, there is :/

Follow this guide, after that you should be able to boot from hdd: http://forum.voodoop...php?topic=649.0

@ACIndia

The fan control, i noticed the fan throttles now, my cpu does not get above 80 degrees on 100% load, before it would reach 100 degrees.

I noticed the GPU in system profiler now, will have to look in to it again -_- Well, the code is in the DSDT, perhaps someone knows what is did wrong there.

The USB is a serious issue, when you want to have both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0, they will only run on usb 2.0 speed. If you want usb 3.0 at full speed, no usb 2.0 (Although my webcam and mouse work)

About the HDMI, i have no way to test this, there are some fixes for it, but i can not confirm if they will work :/

Also, anyone interested in writing a guide for this model?

See attachment, been converting for 14 hours now at a 90% load, temps switch between 60-80 for cpu, hdd is stable at 60.

(Btw, the show is called "I love Lucy" 50's show, so that you don't get the wrong ideas :P)

post-1090626-0-19694100-1360794820_thumb.png

Btw, was looking for serials of macs, to get iMessages working, stil not working, but i just checked system profiler, my system is now reconized as a 17 inch macbook pro :o

So attached the SMBios.plist.

The serial had been posted by someone who macbook got stolen, he posted it on the apple support forum, never has been removed :)

Edit: Also, i'm rebuilding the DSDT from scratch, not even an extraction, sure some of the content will be used, but it will be far more organized, and hopefully i find a way to disable that GPU. Hopefully i have it done by tonight.

smbios.plist.zip

post-1090626-0-81625000-1360832400_thumb.png

Right....

Will happily test it...

About the installation guide, i am thinking of writing one....once most of the things are fixed n i get some time.... :D

I am in bioinformatics n mac is like an integral part of my work...... But can't afford to have an i7 macbook pro with 2gigs of GDDR5 VRAM...n also cuz m bloody badly into gaming... :P

M skeptical about using the serial no. of a stolen mbp... :P

Also, seeing MacBook Pro Retina=me gusta.

:P

• Like 1

ok i test you dsdt all is working ok , the gpu is disabled, but when i put the pc on sleep mode and try to awake this, this halts on a black screen and dont show anything

i dont know if it only is for me or if it happend to others

I have the same issue, did not occur until the nvidia had been disabled, tested this with several dsdt's :/

Edit: Just reinstalled, removing the NVDA* and GeForce* kexts is not needed anymore it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Lejenk!

Thanks for all the work you've been putting on the Inspiron 17R SE! I have a 15R SE with Radeon graphics, but I will try you DSDT in my system and post what happens. I noticed in you signature that you brightness keys aren't working... This seems to be a keyboard problem. I found a VoodooPS2 that works fine with my keyboard and activates the brightness keys.

SL_PS2_Voodoo.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apple has released the latest Update for Mountain Lion: 10.8.3.

GOOD NEWS!

U can upgrade w/o any hassles...

But wait,

Download the update package from APPLE website (around 500mb) then install it cuz it will give u some time to edit KEXTS..

Remove all NV* kexts.

Replace AppleHDA.kext, IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and any other patched Kext u had installed manually.

Repair permissions.(Kext utility)

Rebuild Cache (Kext Utility)

Restart.

Done.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 is again allocated 384MB VRAM. to fix this, use the kext i gave earlier. (Added below too)

512MB_Fix_ACDindia.zip

Rest all is fine!!

Happy Hackintoshing! :) :)

• Like 1

My wake from sleep works. But the touchpad n usb mouse stop working...although, wen I reinsert my mouse cable, it starts working....touchpad still doesn't work. Also, if I wake from sleep the system shutdown stays on grey screen n I av to force shutdown the system...

Thre is something happening in the update datz breaking wake/sleep....

Have some good news on the other hand, the A13 bios is out, and the UEFI boot problems i had, have been solved, will start fiddling with Clover now ^^

At least you get output when waking from sleep, my screen just does not activate.

Used the package from this post: http://www.insanelym...p/#entry1891616

My internal HDD's are not recognized somehow, both are formatted in GPT, the external HDD is found, formatted in MBR, but i do not think it has to do something with that, think it's because of SATA/USB difference, although my DVD is detected also.

Also, tried to boot the installer, i get a kernel panic, before i can even take a picture, it reboots.

Anyone made some progress on booting from Clover?

Disk info:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS mLion 102.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS Opslag 647.7 GB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOS 75.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS Opslag 674.8 GB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: W7SP1_HOMEPREMIUM *5.6 GB disk2
/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *31.6 GB disk3
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data CLOVER 501.2 MB disk3s2
3: Apple_HFS P Installer 30.8 GB disk3s3
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk4
1: Apple_HFS P Installer 10.1 GB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS Extern 490.0 GB disk4s2

Update:

Got it to boot from the installer, seemed that there was a nullcpu... in the folder which conflicted, removed it, and tested a few options to get it to boot.

I can now boot from my new installation, just repartitioned the HDD, again in GUID, and it works.

Still need to do a lot of testing, and have to read up on Clover, i have no idea what i'm doing at the moment, it does work though :P

Have to change my current DSDT, since the NVidia card is beeing shown again, will report back later, and post a working Clover folder if i don't have to change the settings on boot anymore.

I have my HDD formatted as MBR..... earlier it was GPT, had some windows issues, the Dell Customer Service guys simply formatted my HDD and re-installed Windows, then i found that it was MBR.!!!!!!!!!!

So, my experience may be different than yours in this case.

However, I will do try the new things ;)

best of luck bro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UF92tM7XRE

Clover folder attached, in my case it needs editing, i do not need legacy anymore.

If you get a kernel panic, or instant reboot, keep the power button pressed for at least 15 sec, it only occurs to me when i reboot from Windows to OS X, and i do not know why.

Also, the injected SMbios information is wrong, it displays a macbook air 13 inch, the information i'm injection is for a macbook pro 17 inch. Can someone look in to it, thank you.

Video is irrelevant, but i wanted to share my progress so far :)

EFI.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bro! Need some help here!

I converted my HDD to GPT and installed Windows 8 as EFI boot.

Now my Mac is not starting up, probably cuz it was installed as when the system was MBR.....

How should I proceed to get an EFI booting MAC+Windows 8 ????

Thank you for your efforts!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys !

I actually downloaded an "unlocked" bios (in order to overclock my 650m but that's another story lol) and on this bios I saw an option where we can disable the integrated graphics card : http://forum.techinf...d-vbios-27.html

Update your bios to stock A13 (available on Dell website), then update your bios with the file provided on the link above called 7720_A13_unlock_menu_var1.rar . "Bios mod for 7720, A13 version ..."

I don't have Hackintosh on my laptop anymore, so I can't try right now...

Can someone try it ? It's maybe our key to get the 650m working, even if I doubt it because optimus is -kinda- hardware related.

I'll post a picture of the bios unlocked later.

THIS BIOS MOD IS FOR 7720SE LAPTOP WITH INTEL 3610QM ONLY. FLASHING WITH A 3630QM WILL BRICK YOUR 7720...

I am not responsible of bricking your laptop, I warned you about it. 3610QM Users, if you don't feel installing this bios mod, just don't flash it.

• Like 1