Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Please try rc2 on old and fx processors .

Download -> mach_10_8_3_rc2.zip .

No flags, only arch=x86_64 .

If need disable blacklist , flag blacklist=0.

First impressions:

Boot without -x gives me the same problem as always. But i think i've found something interesting. Booting with -x with your latest kernels was rendering the system with some glitches, so i was tweaking with system preferences and i noticed that these glitches was going away soon as i changed the display color profile settings as you can see in these screenshots:

http://cl.ly/image/3O2u1O0c0t09

http://cl.ly/image/3K050x2P3k1D

http://cl.ly/image/2S0p3E0J0738

http://cl.ly/image/3z1p2M3b3w1d

I don't know whats going on, also in some areas the glitches still persist to show up. Hope it helps the development. :)

---------------------------------------

Also, this is Lion related, but i think this information is relevant. Today i was dealing with Photoshop and i've noticed that some documents with RGB - 8 Bits/Channel was rendering glitches in some areas but if i set the document to RGB 16 Bits/Channel the glitches turn in to gray rectangles and if i set to RGB - 32 Bits/Channel the glitches disappears. In Lion i'm using your latest sse42bit kernel. Screenshots:

http://cl.ly/image/2h2p2F1u3w2U

http://cl.ly/image/2t3T2t1F0Y3a

http://cl.ly/image/1w0d1o12031s

Edited by +ira

Please try rc2 on old and fx processors .

Download -> mach_10_8_3_rc2.zip .

No flags, only arch=x86_64 .

If need disable blacklist , flag blacklist=0.

- It's not stable I'm getting KP after 10-15 minutes

- Less Graphical Glitches but problem still continue

- Some programs doesn't work like u-n-i-b-e-as-t

- Windows Partitions doesn't mount (maybe I'm the faulty)

+ a bit faster boot

I tested a ML83 rc3 kernel with the lateat chameleon (arch=x86_64 -f -v) in VB using iMac13.

All KP unless taking out AppleEFI kext and putting Andy's corecrypto kext.

But, a graphics is bad and mouse is so slow after 10 to 20 min.

I notice that andy's and rc3 kernels are almost same during booting,

but, rc3 fails for "FIPS USER space".. Here is photos;

post-545952-0-53483700-1368896953_thumb.png

post-545952-0-05893400-1368896995_thumb.png

Edit:

Login screen is OK even after long time.

Problem after logined (bad background).

Bronya, kernel panic (RC3) with my Phenom II X4 820:

Yes !

Please you write flag -v and show picture !

You should used corecrypto.kext from AnV and old bootloader !!!

corecrypto.kext_AnV.zip

I added blocked is Efiruntime in kernel and recompiled to rc4 for only phenoms and old processors !

It is rc4 !

mach_kernel_phenoms_old_10_8_3_with_blocked_Efiruntime.zip

Bronya, successfully loading the kernel rc4 and corecrypto.kext ANV, but see the pictures:

Mesa, But after I corrected the monitor settings by adjusting the RGB color type.

capturadetela20130518s1.png

Chome: in Youtube.

Notifications:

Launchpad:

Guys, sorry for the huge photo. I do not know to post them on the small size. :wallbash:

Just as a note. I've patched my sata device in DSDT and it's now reported as an Intel one, but i don't know if we can do the same for the other devices. My blame goes all to the chipset, i don't know for sure but i think this is what mess with things, what is interesting is that this only happen in 64bits mode. I have another board with Via chipset wich i can run an old Pentium but i've no time to do it. Also this is not AMD related since users with nForce chipsets experienced the same problems. I don't understand too much of kernel development but i would definitely take a look at the part that talks with the chipset if i was a kernel developer.

Screenshots:

System Information | System Info App | IORegistryExplorer | DSDT Editor

• Like 2

Just as a note. I've patched my sata device in DSDT and it's now reported as an Intel one, but i don't know if we can do the same for the other devices. My blame goes all to the chipset, i don't know for sure but i think this is what mess with things, what is interesting is that this only happen in 64bits mode. I have another board with Via chipset wich i can run an old Pentium but i've no time to do it. Also this is not AMD related since users with nForce chipsets experienced the same problems. I don't understand too much of kernel development but i would definitely take a look at the part that talks with the chipset if i was a kernel developer.

Screenshots:

System Information | System Info App | IORegistryExplorer | DSDT Editor

It will be very interesting

• Like 1

hello Bronya ,

tu penses que ça est la cause de tout nos maux ?

you think it is the cause of all our ills?

hello theconnactic and gils83 ! I think yes , because IOPCIFamily.kext is support only intel . PCI Express port and PCI BRidge - 8086 .

On Lion ATY_Init.kext or other inject kext working on Lion ! And in IORegistryExplorer shows how ATY,Vervet ! Correct !

If on Mountain Lion , in IORegistry Explorer show how ATY_ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer . No correct !

AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext is secret key for video card .

But i think that it is no correct ATY_Init.kext for 64 bit !

• Like 1

Success! Guys i've got the Mountain Lion to work on my old Pentium 4 631 on the GA-VM900M Board, it was a rassle to solve the problem with its non-AHCI "sata" but ML is there up and running. I'll do some DSDT optimizations and will sleep a while, later i'll swipe the card from my AMD desktop and we'll see the results. Also, it's running with latest AnV kernel, the latest builds from Bronya was giving me instant reboots.

VIA%2BP4631.jpg

Edited by +ira
  • Like 2

Well guys, i'll just put the screenshot. Later i'll update this post with more info. Thanks for those who supported this test. I really hope that this helps the devs.

Processor: Pentium 4 631.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-VM900M 2.0.

Ram: 2x1Gb Kingston.

HDD: 160Gb Samsung.

Kernel: latest AnV kernel.

OS X: 10.8.3.

Graphics: Stock + Cuda.

Custom Kexts: AppleRTC, SuperVIAATA (AnV Version but needed to add IDs), ViaRhine.

Flags: GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

SMBios: MacPro 3,1.

Chameleon: v2.2 r2187.

Modules: FileNVRAM, Keylayout, Resolution

DSDT: None yet.

Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 2.39.17 PM.png

So now we know that an intel chipset is not required to make graphics work properly, what's next? If you guys need some other info that can help like a kextstat or something just ask me then i'll provide asap. Thank you guys. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Well, i can not say you're wrong. I've patched my card in to my DSDT and it worked well in Lion, in Mountain Lion i did'n noticed any difference the behavior of the system was the same BUT i used a dump from Chameleon GraphicsEnabler to create the patch so this is why i can not say you're wrong. I'll make a dump from GraphicsEnabler and compare. Also we need to have in mind that it is something related to 64bits arch.

• Like 1

Well, i can not say you're wrong. I've patched my card in to my DSDT and it worked well in Lion, in Mountain Lion i did'n noticed any difference the behavior of the system was the same BUT i used a dump from Chameleon GraphicsEnabler to create the patch so this is why i can not say you're wrong. I'll make a dump from GraphicsEnabler and compare. Also we need to have in mind that it is something related to 64bits arch.

install the OpenGL Extensions Viewer and see if the video memory = 0 MB appears for your graphics card or the actual video memory size is displayed and upload here the Pic, please