Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6370 replies to this topic

The-Hackintosh

The-Hackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
which Kernel Work with AMD athlon ii x2 245 perfectly On ML 10.8?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
The latest kernel, which is the first page.

AlexTselikas

AlexTselikas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
A Virtual Machine Image is out allowing you to use VMWare workstation with Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
I found a blog from the developer who made it happen:http://www.souldevteam.net/blog/2013/02/06/os-x-mountain-lion-vmware-image-amd/ .I am using AMD Athlon ii x3 450,2gb of RAM and works fine!
Working AMD CPUs:
(Can't get rid of the lines!)
- A4-5300
- A6-3400M
- A8-3500M
- A10-4600M
- Athlon 64 X2 QL-65
- Athlon II X3
- Athlon II X3 450
- E-350
- FX6100 (run with Intel VT-X and AMD-V set)
- FX8120 (run with AMD-V/RVI set)
- FX8150
- FX8350
- K325
- Phenom II X2 550 (still slightly buggy, but runs)
- Phenom II X2 555
- Phenom II X2 950 (still slightly buggy, but runs)
- Phenom II X4 955
- Phenom II X4 965
- Phenom II X4 970
- Phenom II x4 975
- Phenom II X6 1055T
- Phenom II X6 1100T
- Phenom II X6 T1090 (slightly unstable)
- Turion II M500

Sorry for beibg a NOOB but how can i use the kernel?

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 444 posts
@AlexTselikas reading from that blog it is already using Andy Vandijck kernel. If it is booting to the desktop then there is nothing more you need to do.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
No Combo Update yet. Apple, Really?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Are you using an AMD 7xxx graphics card, Sinetek?

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

No Combo Update yet. Apple, Really?

I have 12D74 from the bay of pirates.. I can't test it on AMD but it's stable on intel though I haven't tested 7xxx

Edited by SS01, 05 March 2013 - 12:08 AM.

burkett375

burkett375

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I've read quite a few pages, but didn't get a definitive answer...is there a fix for the 6xxx series AMD cards? I'm all set up except for the really bad graphics glitches. Thanks so much to everyone for making this happen!!!!!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
If there are glitches, you'll have to either deal with them or boot in safe mode for now. Some AMD cards (ie the 6570) just work, others will present graphics corruption. With nVidia, it's even worse. The reason is some bug related to the kernel running in 64-bit mode which we haven't been able to isolate yet.

Best regards!

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh
Anyone know yet how to fix the graphics with ATI?
Or should I just swap my GPU to older one which could work?

burkett375

burkett375

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I've read quite a few pages, but didn't get a definitive answer...is there a fix for the 6xxx series AMD cards? I'm all set up except for the really bad graphics glitches. Thanks so much to everyone for making this happen!!!!!

If there are glitches, you'll have to either deal with them or boot in safe mode for now. Some AMD cards (ie the 6570) just work, others will present graphics corruption. With nVidia, it's even worse. The reason is some bug related to the kernel running in 64-bit mode which we haven't been able to isolate yet. Best regards!

Anyone know yet how to fix the graphics with ATI? Or should I just swap my GPU to older one which could work?

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 444 posts
This might be a stupid suggestion, maybe with nvidia. There is a way to update it to OpenCL by modding the kext. What if we mod the kext to use the older fallback OpenCL? Does the glitches come from software acceleration or hardware acceleration? Also DP1 had i386, I remember back in the days we couldn't make a kernel because of SSSE3 emulation, they used dp1 kernel on the unsupported macs that only had 32bit efi, it is possible to maybe recreate this or am I just completely off page.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
@duran,

yeah, that's possible, and it will work (the i386 kernel). afaik that's how Lion could be also (I think most use x86_64 at this poitn though, with the same problems as ML).

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

This might be a stupid suggestion, maybe with nvidia. There is a way to update it to OpenCL by modding the kext. What if we mod the kext to use the older fallback OpenCL? Does the glitches come from software acceleration or hardware acceleration? Also DP1 had i386, I remember back in the days we couldn't make a kernel because of SSSE3 emulation, they used dp1 kernel on the unsupported macs that only had 32bit efi, it is possible to maybe recreate this or am I just completely off page.

we'd need /System/Library/Extensions from DP1. If we're lucky the release version kernel will boot with the 32-bit kexts if compiled for i386, if not, we'll need to apply the patches in binary to the DP1 kernel (since sources are not available for it).

Duran Keeley

Duran Keeley

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 444 posts

we'd need /System/Library/Extensions from DP1. If we're lucky the release version kernel will boot with the 32-bit kexts if compiled for i386, if not, we'll need to apply the patches in binary to the DP1 kernel (since sources are not available for it).

@SS01

Yeah we will need the Extensions from DP1
Two Guides are found at Mac Rumours - Don't know if i'm allow to link to them.

Things that will be implemented in the upcoming guide.
* Fix for X3100, GMA 950 and X1600 graphics card!
* Sleep and power management fix
* Support for 10.8.2
* Enable older version of OpenGL. (Glitchy, but works!)
* No more OpenCL issues!
* Video Tutorial!

The patch do :
- replacing Extensions folder with the dp1 Extensions folder
- replacing mach_kernel with the dp1 mach_kernel
- replacing OpenGL.framework with my modified OpenGL.framework
- adding GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600 kexts on ML.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Since today i have a cheap ATI card, the 5450. Going to test it with Mountain Lion and report here. With Lion, indisputable success.

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

@SS01

Yeah we will need the Extensions from DP1
Two Guides are found at Mac Rumours - Don't know if i'm allow to link to them.

Things that will be implemented in the upcoming guide.
* Fix for X3100, GMA 950 and X1600 graphics card!
* Sleep and power management fix
* Support for 10.8.2
* Enable older version of OpenGL. (Glitchy, but works!)
* No more OpenCL issues!
* Video Tutorial!

The patch do :
- replacing Extensions folder with the dp1 Extensions folder
- replacing mach_kernel with the dp1 mach_kernel
- replacing OpenGL.framework with my modified OpenGL.framework
- adding GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600 kexts on ML.

so they did need to replace mach_kernel. damn. oh well, i am told applyling the patch in binary is simple enough...

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Already on Mountain Lion, using a USB stick. Now editing the AMDRadeonAccellerator.kext to enable QE/CI. Will report back soon.

Best regards!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Well, everything installed.

As i go deeper with the tests, i do find some graphics issues, up to now only with Safari, but i must say they're rather mild. Nothing even close to render the app unusable, as can be confirmed in the pictures below:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 3.00.19 AM.png   466.87KB   49 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 2.56.25 AM.png   388.29KB   46 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 2.57.55 AM.png   751.08KB   39 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 2.55.50 AM.png   304.83KB   44 downloads

But one interesting thing i discovered is that the glitches seem to adjust themselves if you give them time enough, as in the picture bellow, the same page as the last picture above after be left open for a dozen minutes:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 3.07.00 AM.png   308.09KB   35 downloads

All in all, the biggest issue i encountered was an extreme, unbearable lagginess of the system, derived of the fact it was running from a live USB stick plugged in a plain 2.0 port.

I'll do further tests tomorrow, after restore the live USB stick to a partition i made for Mountain Lion, with heavier games (they did awfully with Bronzovka's 10.7.5 kernel in 64-bit kernel mode) and 1080 movies and flash movies.

Best regards!

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Local Moderators
  • 1,974 posts
thx for these Information theconnatic, :wink2:

Last night I have made ​​just for fun a Test with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 , I connected my USB-​​HDD with AMD Mountain Lion on my Laptop (Intel Samsung RV509) and booted the System. I have neither changed the kexts or Extra-folder with the chameleon.boot.plist, Mountain Lion will boot normally and I get into the desktop of Mountain Lion. Amazing it is that the video quality is just as modest as, with a little glitches , and no QE / CI. this is very funny! :tomato:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy