Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

10.8.3: extensive tests

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 1.35.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.24.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.28.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.26.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.30.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.30.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.30.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.31.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.32.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.33.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.34.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.35.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.35.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 2.36.22 AM.png

P.S.: All the programs of the Adobe CS6 suite were open at the same time. They took a while to load, but once open, all they worked without any glitch or lack of comparative performance against 10.7.5 or Windows 8.

10.8.3, the upsides: the archive utility bug (see the top of the page, where Sinetek answers to the post i describe it) went away. The amd_kernel (first post of the topic) works fine. No loss of performance (see topic Geekbench Scores).

10.8.3 the downsides: Safari remais unusable with the HD5450. VLC still cannot be reopened once closed, needing a reinstallation. The graphics are a bit more buggy: "phantoms" (persistent pixels) are left when a window is closed, but they can be erased by selecting the region affected, or shaking another window over it. Launchpad showed glitches once, but i wasn't able to reproduce it, so it should be an unfrequent glitch.

All in all, i recommend the update, as long your ATI graphics card is already working with 10.8.2.

P.S.: i might as well try to rollback the ATI kexts to the 10.8.2 ones to improve graphics stability. I'll test it, as soon as i back up my system.

Hi Guys,

Let me pass on how I made the rarely known FirePro v4900 integrate and run with Snow Leopard on my FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5. I think it will be useful regardless of which OS X version. I used a couple different tools between lspci and System Info to make sure the Device ID (0x6749) and Vendor ID (0x1002) for the v4900 were consistent. Then upon noticing a set of ATI kernel extensions in S/L/E, I reviewed all ATI info.plist content for device and vendor id matches. I found one exact match within the ATIRadeonX3000 kext. I used a web site of listed PCI data and the Chameleon 2187 ati.c source code file to find the graphics family and other device ids in the same family. It turns out that the v4900 is part of the Turks family. Other video card models have different graphic families. Most importantly though, once you find the graphics family for the card you have, you may find that existing kexts already have yours and/or many of the graphics family members already present.

When reviewing all of the info.plist content via Show Package Contents (pop up menu in Finder) and navigating via Finder to Contents | info.plist, I happened to find the controller file listing Turks family members (not the v4900 though). Thinking that only two kexts would be enough, I booted up and expected graphics to magically work without forcing Graphics Mode. The screen was all blue, and I was pretty sure the desktop was hiding somewhere. With some more research, I found a couple posts implying that three items are needed for successful ATI graphics:

ATISupport.kext

A Controller kext

A Video Card kext (not sure what else to call it)

Anyhow, since I had determined which ATIController kext already uses other Turks family members, I added the v4900 to the IOPCIMatch key within the ATI6000Controller.kext. I doubt the order has any significance, since the listing was not ascending or descending. I did place it around other device ID values closest to the v4900 though. Keep in mind that an entry is

0xDeviceIDVendorID

The v4900 looks like: 0x67491002

After saving this change to the info.plist, updating the kernel caches and permissions with Kext Wizard (much faster than typing in Terminal), I rebooted without modifying any Chameleon 2.0, RC5 boot flags. After the gray apple screen was done, the screen went dark for about five seconds, then lo and behold, full graphics support appeared. After getting this to work, Graphics Mode and GraphicsEnabler values are ignored (possibly overridden).

I have been on the AMD OS X scene for a short time, so there may be something I am not aware of in Mountain Lion and Lion. As long as the more recent OS X releases do something similar with maintaining support for ATI video cards, there is a realistic chance that this will work. I suppose the most recently released ATI cards may not be so easily supported. So, your mileage may vary...

It looks odd on paper, but the kexts that are running the v4900 correctly are:

ATISupport.kext

ATI6000Controller.kext (only added the v4900 to the IOPCIMatch value set)

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

I can change the resolution just like on my MacBook Pro, modify refresh rate, run the screen saver, run the Grab application, etc. The connection is DVI dual link between the v4900 and my ancient Acer AL1917W monitor. I made no modifications to the DSDT. In fact only the default DSDT and smbios settings from the Chameleon 2 RC5 boot loader are in use at this time. Now that I have found the magic three lines to have a bootable USB via a cloned disk image boot successfully, I will be testing the more recent boot loader versions and determining upgrading to Mountain Lion.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I'm back again.

I see you did great progress on video distortion problems!

Have to test the aty_something and rd8111's way of getting rid of it.

When i have a new HDD, i'll try to join the development again :)

Might get a cheap ass HD5450 aswel :)

LETS GET FULL QE/CI and no distorion FOR ALL ATI (and Nvidea) CARDS !!!

Hi!

Heavy graphic glitches with Safari, so i am using Chrome, which is absolutely fine. Other than that, no glitches at all, and only minor annoyances, like having to reinstall VLC every time i want to use it (but install VLC means copy it to the Applications folder, so there's no big deal). Games, movies and animations work just fine with absolutely no graphics corruption. Least but not last, i got my higher Geekbench2 score ever with this machine.

I am already using Mountain Lion as my primary system here. But i confess that, since is a HTPC, a computer for fun and content consumption, not for work, i cannot lightly recommend this for everyone.

The method i used for my graphics card will not necessarily work for yours. That said, i simply added the ID of my card to the info.plists of ATI5000Controller.kext, under IOPCIMatch, and also in AMDRadeonAccelerator, under cedar (the family of my card). I can boot with GE=Y or GE=N, but GE=N makes the system report my card as an AMD5000, not an AMD5450. With this method, only the default framebuffer, Eulemur, appears to work: all others will boot to a black screen.

All the best!

So is it worth it to fiddle around with the kext if everything is working fine minus graphic artifacts? I get artifcats using Chrome or Safari, with both being unusable for some sites. I see that in the iopcimatch, there's several device IDs, do I delete them all except mine? Thanks for your help!

I don't think so, burkett375, and i think the biggest merit of rd811's method is getting the FirePro v4900 to work with OSX, not solving the graphics corruption bug related to kernel itself (which the method didn't do: the card simply appears not to experience it). I think that, if you already have QE/CI, your work with the kexts is done, and you will have to look elsewhere to solve this very annoying graphics corruption issue.

Rd811, i'll ask the staff to move your post to the Genius Bar as a tutorial: i'm pretty sure lots of FirePro users, regardless of being on Intel or AMD, can benefit of it.

All the best!

I don't think so, burkett375, and i think the biggest merit of rd811's method is getting the FirePro v4900 to work with OSX, not solving the graphics corruption bug related to kernel itself (which the method didn't do: the card simply appears not to experience it). I think that, if you already have QE/CI, your work with the kexts is done, and you will have to look elsewhere to solve this very annoying graphics corruption issue.

Rd811, i'll ask the staff to move your post to the Genius Bar as a tutorial: i'm pretty sure lots of FirePro users, regardless of being on Intel or AMD, can benefit of it.

All the best!

Thank you, theconnactic. I think the approach will work for more than FirePro users. I found so many ATI graphic families that my head was spinning...

@burkett375, I would never remove already existing IDs from a kext. For a future hardware change (e.g. the latest video card with 10 GB Video RAM coming soon to a computer near you) the removal of valid IDs may be forgotten 2 years from now. Adding a DeviceIDVendorID to a kext that has other items in the same device family seems better. I have followed directions for replacing the contents within the VoodooHDA kext though, but that is specific to the "how to solve problems" FAQ the VoodooHDA team has out there. Besides, as long as you have backups via your preferred utility program, it is much much easier to try something and restore to a previous point if needed.

• Like 1

Apple seem to be helping us out I think. Just updated to 10.8.3 and with no kext modifications yet I've booted without safe mode to desktop with buggy graphics and no QE/CI on my GT 430. Will keep you updated...

Indeed, rd811: it could be a tutorial for any ATI user: could you rewrite your post in the form of a tutorial, so i can ask the staff to move it to the Genius Bar?

Sure. Do I post it here? I will look at a couple other tutorials and follow the format.

At least you have AppleHDA audio, guys! I have to resort to VoodooHDA, and HDMI is yet a distant hope.

Now, to the news:

I can confirm the latest amd_kernel (which is attached in the first post of the topic) works with no performance loss and no errors with 10.8.3. Contrary to all common sense, i did the App Store update (but i recommend you use the combo update) and the only modifications i had to make was adding my card's ID in the plists of both ATI5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext. I did this to the 10.8.3 stock kexts and all went fine, but i saved my 10.8.2 patched kexts just in case. That's what i recommend to you, fellow ATI users who have a stable system.

Best regards!

did you tried to test this:

http://www.osx86.net..._installer.html

and this

http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=355

The following should be noted:

The information I receive via systeminfo do not match the specifications of Windows.

here has bgrau also confirmed again http://www.insanelym...gts-hdmi-sound/

I started everest ultimate edition and get other disclosures for my HDA controller (vendor-id and device-id) as the systeminfo tool.

Maybe that's the reason why we turn in the circle.?

can anyone confirm this?

I managed to solve my problem with audio stuttering.

Only I put:

busratio = 15 fsb = 200

however, even though I put in org.chameleon.Boot, does not work.

Only works in typing boot.

I do not know if somebody already had this idea, how it happened in my case.

The problems of ATI and Nvidia, it would not be because of the wrong frequencies in the kernel?

• Like 1

Open a topic here, and i'll ask the chief staff to move it to the Genius Bar.

Best regards!

Will do. I am reviewing it and making corrections right now. I will likely post a new topic later tonight (maybe Saturday morning).

Sincerely,

rd8111

Apple still hasn't released the source to the kernel of 10.8.3.

So, kind community, tell me, the new Kexts are a no-go either?

No, as usual it takes about 2 weeks after the release of the binaries before the sources are released.

Yes, you do! In theory, the stock AMDAccelelrator.kext would do, since your card is expected to work OOB, but the AMD rig is the game changer (for worse) here.

But you're on the right path. Hope you get QE/CI. If instead of QE/CI you get heavy artifacts, that means your card is unusable with the current kernel, and you'll have to wait for a kernel fix (just like many nVidia owners whose cards should work OOB).

All the best!

Apple still hasn't released the source to the kernel of 10.8.3.

So, kind community, tell me, the new Kexts are a no-go either?

I didn't test with nVidia because i didn't have it in my AMD rig anymore. But for ATI, the new kexts are a bit more buggy instead of less, but i can be because i'm running 10.8.3 with Andy's 10.8.2 kernel.

By the way, hi, Andy: long time, no see!

I will continue to modify the AppleHDA.kext and the DSDT, then I think that will work, see pic --->

http://www.workuploa...m/image/Ix2D7Ij

Graphics are very good! no graphical problems with my Nvidia GTX 550 TI 3 GB

:king:

Relevant problem lies in the adaptation of the AppleHDA.kext, DSDT and graphics drivers!

• Like 2

videos unfortunately not run, I get this error message from quicktime: The document could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (-101) :wallbash:

we need to work on the AppleHDA, Ethernet drivers and DSDT and graphics drivers, here are the sources of our problems with the graphics card !!! :wink2:

I have dispensed with this ML installation on the ethernet driver.! I do not installed :king: