Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6290 replies to this topic

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Also on ATI it helps to disable the QE/CI kexts.
In my case it was:
AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

So if someone could check this files for traps and other problems it would be great.

@wastez:

this is great. i can confirm that, by removing this three kext, all my graphics glitches are gone.

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Producing Music
Damn you guys are going fast!
Today i finally got my hackintosh working because it needed corecrypto,
like one second later i see that Andy's new kernel has a working build in version inside!
This is amazing, keep up doing this great work!

Bitcore

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok, i have a question about your System.kext Sinetek. What did you change here? I'm just curious because i deleted the System.kext from /E/E and everything works so far, except the graphic glitches. What souldn't work now?

Thanks.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
Ähm. So I haven't posted in a while. The nVidia problem has had me depressed because I took it WAY personal; still don't understand what's going on with it.
So thanks for understanding, I in the first place am mad at that problem. Or maybe it's teaching me humility.
over, out, sinetek

DaMadOne

DaMadOne

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Sinetek, don't be sad! we have 3 versions of OSX running on 64bit AMD largely thanks to you! 64bit OSX on AMD seemed like a pipe dream not long ago. I know it seems like you/we have hit a brick wall with the nVidia stuff but as the old saying goes.. "Rome wasn't built in a day" but you sure did get A LOT done in a very short time. Look at it this way, as more and more people come to ML on AMD because of you, its only a matter of time before either you or someone else figures it out. It may just be that negative depressive thinking keeping you from figuring it out! So cheer up! You have plenty of people here ready and willing to help out in any way we can.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

Ähm. So I haven't posted in a while. The nVidia problem has had me depressed because I took it WAY personal; still don't understand what's going on with it.
So thanks for understanding, I in the first place am mad at that problem. Or maybe it's teaching me humility.
over, out, sinetek

Don't take it personal.
We all have been looking into it and none of us have found a solution but I do have an hypothesis for the ATI and NVidia issues.
Someone reported that it worked fine on Bulldozer/Piledriver cpus.
I guess the delay is too long causing command buffer corruption.
We'll get this tackled, don't worry ;)

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Anyone tested trinity?

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh

Anyone tested trinity?

Shouldn't it work pretty much same like Piledriver? I think Trinity is based on Piledriver, but no idea about how the graphics would work...

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Did you mean http://www.insanelym...d/#entry1879250 and http://www.insanelym...s/#entry1879441 post from bitcore? He's running ML on AMD FX with Radeon and reported it as working.

So, if i understand this right, you mean that the ssse emluator introduces a delay which might causes the troubles?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

Did you mean http://www.insanelym...d/#entry1879250 and http://www.insanelym...s/#entry1879441 post from bitcore? He's running ML on AMD FX with Radeon and reported it as working.

So, if i understand this right, you mean that the ssse emluator introduces a delay which might causes the troubles?

Yes I think that is the reason
The emulator itself works nicely...

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
But how could one get around this? There is always a litte delay when he needs to calculate, or do you think that, if you decrease the delay time, it might work?

Or is it possible to find the ssse calls in the kext's and (don't know if this is possible, i'm ot a developer ;)) reroute them to sse?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...
In Tiger times somebody once did something similar with the dvd player driver.
He patched the SSE3 functions to SSE2 ones to make the video playback go smooth so it is possible but not easy

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
so, the kernel needs ssse3 too boot up the base system, right?

but what if someone made a "container", that catches all ssse3 calls and redirect them to sse3? is this possible?

is there no "easy" solution?

i have absolutely no clue about c. all i can do is a little bash scripting, so i'm not really helpfull here. but if i can do something, please let me know.

thanks.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

so, the kernel needs ssse3 too boot up the base system, right?

but what if someone made a "container", that catches all ssse3 calls and redirect them to sse3? is this possible?

is there no "easy" solution?

i have absolutely no clue about c. all i can do is a little bash scripting, so i'm not really helpfull here. but if i can do something, please let me know.

thanks.

SSSE3 is nothing like SSE3
The only option I see is making software that replaces the functions, expands the __text page size and modifies instruction pointers to pull this off...

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

SSSE3 is nothing like SSE3
The only option I see is making software that replaces the functions, expands the __text page size and modifies instruction pointers to pull this off...

Is it not possible to modify the files needed? If a person gets ML installed but experiences graphics problems, they could install a package for the files.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

Is it not possible to modify the files needed? If a person gets ML installed but experiences graphics problems, they could install a package for the files.

It is possible ofcourse but I'll have to look into it when I have a lot of time

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

It is possible ofcourse but I'll have to look into it when I have a lot of time

Of course. By all means take all the time you need. If I could learn all the code easily enough I would be helping lol

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts

But how could one get around this? There is always a litte delay when he needs to calculate, or do you think that, if you decrease the delay time, it might work?

Or is it possible to find the ssse calls in the kext's and (don't know if this is possible, i'm ot a developer ;)) reroute them to sse?

Oh, I tried that already. I patched all the critical system binaries by hand to reroute the SSSE3 and removed the opemu. The system crashes in precisely the same manner.

Well, what I'm left with is the idea to try Mountain Lion DP1 and it's 32-bit kexts. I was going to try it, but the image I downloaded is corrupted :/

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok,

tried to search the web for ati kext's from dp1 and found nothing. but i try to get hands on dp1 :D

edit: maybe someone in the forums has got a dp1 and could upload a few kexts? would go faster ;)

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

Oh, I tried that already. I patched all the critical system binaries by hand to reroute the SSSE3 and removed the opemu. The system crashes in precisely the same manner.

Well, what I'm left with is the idea to try Mountain Lion DP1 and it's 32-bit kexts. I was going to try it, but the image I downloaded is corrupted :/

I've got a working DP1 dmg. I can upload kexts if needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy