Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6354 replies to this topic

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Hi, spakk!

By the way, for everyone's information, Andy told me a couple of days ago he also would be working on the 12.x kernel for AMD. He said he would keep me posted about his progress, so that's good news.

Sinetek, i still don't understand which good your discoveries would effectively do. Can you share your thoughts? :)

I think he means this http://developer.amd...processors.pdf. I had forgotten about the CPUID overrides that can be made by writing to MSR. Basically mask CPU features and the actually processor string from AMD to Intel. Intel allows something similar by allowing a CPUID fault to be trapped and the data replaced.

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Members
  • 1,892 posts

Hi, spakk!

By the way, for everyone's information, Andy told me a couple of days ago he also would be working on the 12.x kernel for AMD. He said he would keep me posted about his progress, so that's good news.

Sinetek, i still don't understand which good your discoveries would effectively do. Can you share your thoughts? :)

theconatic,many thanks for this nice information and many thank Andy for your willingness to help these two young programmers

Posted Image

I think he means this http://developer.amd...processors.pdf. I had forgotten about the CPUID overrides that can be made by writing to MSR. Basically mask CPU features and the actually processor string from AMD to Intel. Intel allows something similar by allowing a CPUID fault to be trapped and the data replaced.

the link on the AMD website is dead, here is the PDF file for download
http://www.workupload.com/file/66EBZj2

ham4ever

ham4ever

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
i have AMD ahtlon II x3 using SL 10.6.8 and 10.7.5
i can be tester for ur test kernels :D

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,892 posts
theconatic + sinetec, also I can test on my AMD Phenom II X6, although I have only Lion 10.7.4
I'm just waiting for your new modified kernel

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I have Phenom II X4 965 with Snow 10.6.8. I can install mountain lion if it would help for testing.

byransays

byransays

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
AMD Athlon II X4 645

Also the system speaker kept beeping super fast

Im running 10.7.3, I cant use 10.7.4 or Ethernet wont work, I havent tried 10.7.5 as Im not sure if Ethernet will work or not.

Edit: Im trying to attach the picture but its not working.

Attached Files

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,892 posts

AMD Athlon II X4 645

Also the system speaker kept beeping super fast

Im running 10.7.3, I cant use 10.7.4 or Ethernet wont work, I havent tried 10.7.5 as Im not sure if Ethernet will work or not.

Edit: Im trying to attach the picture but its not working.

The kernel needs to be modified, we get the same error as you.

we are all waiting for the new modified kernel to test

please, test them with boot flag; -v-f . I want to know if you get the same error.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
The ssse3emulator isn't ready yet, so that's why all you are getting a =-16 error from the ssse3 emulator. I'm working on it, and i know Sinetek is also working on it.

The way i see it, our roadmap now consists of three main points:

1) Proper implementation of the ssse3 emulator for arch=i386 with 64-bit mode (-force64) so we finally have a trully stable 10.7.x kernel for all AMD and legacy CPUs;

2) Proper implementation of the ssse3 emulator in full 64-bit mode (arch=x86_64) so we can run Mountain Lion (or Lion 64-bit) in legacy AMD and Intel CPUs;

3) Solving the instant reboot issue with Bulldozer and Plidriver CPUs when booting 64-bit (arch=x86_64). If it wasn't for it, the first connactic patched kernels for 10.8.0 would have been sufficient for them to run either Lion 64-bit or Mountain Lion with the patched kernels. About it, i propose an experiment to the FX users (Gilles, if you're reading, you too, even if you post the results in another site): download please the latest iteration of chameleon (2.2, rev 2xxxx:Attached File  Chameleon-2.2svn-r2117.pkg.zip   2.75MB   35 downloads ), one which contains the kernel patcher module and try to boot with:

a] The connactic kernel for 10.8.0: connatic.zip

b] The connactic kernel for 10.7.5, booting with archx86_64: Attached File  connactic64 for 10.7.5.zip   3.21MB   47 downloads

As usual, post pics and vids of the results. Good luck!

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Retired
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

The ssse3emulator isn't ready yet, so that's why all you are getting a =-16 error from the ssse3 emulator. I'm working on it, and i know Sinetek is also working on it.

1) Proper implementation of the ssse3 emulator for arch=i386 with 64-bit mode (-force64) so we finally have a trully stable 10.7.x kernel for all AMD and legacy CPUs;

2) Proper implementation of the ssse3 emulator in full 64-bit mode (arch=x86_64) so we can run Mountain Lion (or Lion 64-bit) in legacy AMD and Intel CPUs;

3) Solving the instant reboot issue with Bulldozer and Plidriver CPUs when booting 64-bit (arch=x86_64). If it wasn't for it, the first connactic patched kernels for 10.8.0 would have been sufficient for them to run either Lion 64-bit or Mountain Lion with the patched kernels. About it, i propose an experiment to the FX users (Gilles, if you're reading, you too, even if you post the results in another site): download please the latest iteration of chameleon (2.2, rev 2xxxx:Attached File  Chameleon-2.2svn-r2117.pkg.zip   2.75MB   35 downloads ), one which contains the kernel patcher module and try to boot with:

b] The connactic kernel for 10.7.5, booting with archx86_64: Attached File  connactic64 for 10.7.5.zip   3.21MB   47 downloads

Tried your Lion kernel on my 10.7.4 install and got stuck at Waiting For Root Device...

Will post pic later.

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I completely agree with this except for one thing - is 1) really necessary? If there's anyone who will care about running Lion on AMD if/when we've perfected Mountain Lion on AMD, I don't know who it is. Just saying. Great job everyone! :)

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh

I completely agree with this except for one thing - is 1) really necessary? If there's anyone who will care about running Lion on AMD if/when we've perfected Mountain Lion on AMD, I don't know who it is. Just saying. Great job everyone! :)

It will be helpful with the step 2 ;) And i386 is easier than x86_64, I think.

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

sorry mate, but are you sure that kernel is your latest build?
since its build date was Oct 24, 2012

Posted Image

here are the tests:

1. flags: arch=x86_64 (without: fips_mode=0)

Posted Image

2. flags: arch=x86_64 fips_mode=0

Posted Image

1. flags: arch=i386 -legacy
result: instant reboot

2. flags: arch=x86_64

Posted Image

FYI, both Lion 10.7.5 & ML 10.8.0 were running within Chameleon v2.2-r2117 on AMD P-II x4 965

Posted Image

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

sorry mate, but are you sure that kernel is your latest build?
since its build date was Oct 24, 2012

Posted Image

here are the tests:

1. flags: arch=x86_64 (without: fips_mode=0)

Posted Image

2. flags: arch=x86_64 fips_mode=0

Posted Image

1. flags: arch=i386 -legacy
result: instant reboot

2. flags: arch=x86_64

Posted Image

FYI, both Lion 10.7.5 & ML 10.8.0 were running within Chameleon v2.2-r2117 on AMD P-II x4 965

Posted Image

Wait, what? Instant reboot with arch=i386 and -legacy? :confused:

That's great about arch=x86_64. Though I don't know what that could mean, I do know that its not an instant reboot or even a kernel panic. :D

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Wait, what? Instant reboot with arch=i386 and -legacy? :confused:

I think the kernel was built for x64 PCs, so it won't work with x86 ones
but I don't know if it also can run on old AMD, or it's only for the Buldozer AMD

That's great about arch=x86_64. Though I don't know what that could mean, I do know that its not an instant reboot or even a kernel panic. :D

yup! maybe you're right ;)

the kernel was able to pass the BSD-root detection (no: waiting for root device error)
but then it stuck at Kernel is LP64 line

ham4ever

ham4ever

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
Lion 10.7.5 athlon II x3

used flag arch=x86_64 stuck in Kernel is LP64
used flags arch=i386 -force64 also same stuck in kernel is LP64

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
Thank you guys very much!

Both tests i proposed are meant only for Bulldozer CPUs, mac_carol: old AMDs will need a perfected ssse3 emulator. Do you have a FX-series CPU? If you have, that's a progress: no more instant reboots.

The fact the boot got stuck at Kernel=LP64 means that the kernel boots fine, but the user land doesn't. Strange: that's typical of a non-Bulldozer CPU trying to boot a patched x86_64 kernel (it usually gets stuck at that point because is where the userland should show up and while we can trick the kernel to believe the CPU supports ssse3, this is not possible with the user land, thus the need of a ssse3 emulator).

I'll take a look on it again later tonight.

byransays

byransays

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Just thought id add in another processor testing and findings.

The kernel needs to be modified, we get the same error as you.

we are all waiting for the new modified kernel to test

please, test them with boot flag; -v-f . I want to know if you get the same error.

I do not use kextcache so a -f isnt needed. it always loads all kexts

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh

Thank you guys very much!

Both tests i proposed are meant only for Bulldozer CPUs, mac_carol: old AMDs will need a perfected ssse3 emulator. Do you have a FX-series CPU? If you have, that's a progress: no more instant reboots.

The fact the boot got stuck at Kernel=LP64 means that the kernel boots fine, but the user land doesn't. Strange: that's typical of a non-Bulldozer CPU trying to boot a patched x86_64 kernel (it usually gets stuck at that point because is where the userland should show up and while we can trick the kernel to believe the CPU supports ssse3, this is not possible with the user land, thus the need of a ssse3 emulator).

I'll take a look on it again later tonight.

Mac_carol has Phenom II 965:

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
Thank you, Delta0! That's the explanation.

We need a FX user to test those. Gilles?

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Retired
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

Thank you, Delta0! That's the explanation.

We need a FX user to test those. Gilles?

Do I need to update my Lion to 10.7.5 to test accurately or is it fine on 10.7.4? I have Chameleon v2.1svn r1819 installed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

6 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy