Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6064 replies to this topic

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Well, i'll try later to tweak the kernel to see if the situation improves a little. Some of the possible causes for the errors we've been getting are:

- the ssse3 emulator is incorrectly integrated to the commpage.c file - the proper integration would save us time, even the ssse3 emulator being not ready yet;
- the ssse3 emulator, as sinetek said before, isn't ready, ergo won't work in 64-bit - we need to wait for a 64-bit capable emulator;
- there are bad AMD-specific instructions that are preventing corecrypto to load - zchef2k found a workaround for this;
- bad patches elsewhere - remember: these patches of mine are just an adaptation from RAWx86's Lion patches and maybe we'll need to write ML-specific patches from scratch.

Tonight i'll possibly work on a better integration of the ssse3 emulator. Now, just a little gift for Bulldozer users: i compiled a i386 patched kernel, also based on RAWx86's work, for 10.7.5 - we've been using the patched 10.7.4 for it, not an optimal solution at all. This one should work better. Boot with connactic arch=i386 plus the usual boot flags you use for your system. Non-Bulldozer/Piledriver users should add the bootflag -legacy:
Attached File  connactic.zip   3.16MB   1035 downloads

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Thank you, Gilles!

If it really works as it should, would you please do a Geekbench with it? I want to know if there is any performance improvement from the 10.7.5 with 10.7.4 kernel solution.

Thanks!

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

Well, i'll try later to tweak the kernel to see if the situation improves a little. Some of the possible causes for the errors we've been getting are:

- the ssse3 emulator is incorrectly integrated to the commpage.c file - the proper integration would save us time, even the ssse3 emulator being not ready yet;
- the ssse3 emulator, as sinetek said before, isn't ready, ergo won't work in 64-bit - we need to wait for a 64-bit capable emulator;
- there are bad AMD-specific instructions that are preventing corecrypto to load - zchef2k found a workaround for this;
- bad patches elsewhere - remember: these patches of mine are just an adaptation from RAWx86's Lion patches and maybe we'll need to write ML-specific patches from scratch.

Tonight i'll possibly work on a better integration of the ssse3 emulator. Now, just a little gift for Bulldozer users: i compiled a i386 patched kernel, also based on RAWx86's work, for 10.7.5 - we've been using the patched 10.7.4 for it, not an optimal solution at all. This one should work better. Boot with connactic arch=i386 plus the usual boot flags you use for your system. Non-Bulldozer/Piledriver users should add the bootflag -legacy:
Attached File  connactic.zip   3.16MB   1035 downloads

Tried booting ML DP1 with this kernel and got errno 85 on launched witch is EBADEXEC 85 /* Bad executable */

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

hello ,

this is an i386 kernel 10.7, does not work on ML10.8

Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2

: Tue Dec 4 17:27:03 UTC 2012; bronzovkAnVoodoo v0.9.30:/Users/snowyjoe/Desktop/XNU1075PATCHED/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Yes but I am trying it with DP1 of ML which is i386 and effectively Lion.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
100 points higher, not bad at all! :D

More or less the same performance of sinetek's Snow Leopard kernel: quite good a result indeed.

Thank you. Later i'll try to include sinetek's ssse3 emulator to the 11.5 kernel, so older AMDs can also use it.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Hi, Sinetek!

Trying to integrate your ssse3 emulator to my 10.7.5 generated a very annoying issue for me: it seems to compile fine until the end, but in the last moment i get this error:

Undefined symbols:
"_ssse3emu", referenced from:
_ssse3emu_populate in commpage.o
(maybe you meant: _ssse3emu_populate)
"_ssse3emu_end", referenced from:

Searching for where the problem may have appeared in the compilation process, i found these warnings:
- no previous prototype for 'ssse3emu_populate'
- pointer of type 'void *' used in subtraction

So i decided to take a look where the root of the issue seems to be, at commpage.c.
Here's the function ssse3emu_populate:

void ssse3emu_populate(void) {
int ssse3emu_size = (void*) ssse3emu_end - (void*) ssse3emu;
printf("Enabling ssse3 emulator. Size %d should be less than %d. \n", ssse3emu_size, PAGE_SIZE);
commpage_stuff2(_COMM_PAGE_SSSE3EMU, ssse3emu, ssse3emu_size, FALSE);
}

Notice, like i did, the two occurrences of "ssse3emu" just one "ssse3emu_end", just the way the missing symbols from the function appear to be flagged. They both are inside ssse3emu.c, so why they're report missing, Sinetek? How did you solve the issue for compiling your own kernel?

Thank you very much.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
I solved it myself: it was a matter of adding the ssse3emu.c to osfmk/config/filesi386 and filesx86_64 so the symbols are recognized.

And now, i gladly present you, my friends, the sinactic (yeah, without sinetek and his history-making ssse3 emulator, nothing of this would be possible) i386 10.7.5 kernel.

IMPORTANT: it's made for non-Bulldozer/Piledriver AMD CPUs, as well as legacy Intel CPUs (Pentium Ds, etc). Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs already have ssse3, thus they can run 64-bit mode processes on the 32-bit kernel. The ssse3 emulator perhaps gives to old AMD and legacy Intel CPUs the same capability. They should be able to boot without the -legacy boot flag, if everything works like it should. If not, at least everything would be in place for the improved ssse3 emulator sinetek is working on, and it would just be a matter of swapping the emulator.

Test and report please, with pics and vids if possible:
Attached File  sinactic.zip   3.16MB   20 downloads

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
yeah connactic, you're getting the hang of this. however you have to compile "ssse3emu.c" with the flag "-fno-jump-tables" otherwise it will crash at runtime because this is not a normal mach object but a binary blob in the commpage. See Makefile.i386 in osfmk to see how it's done.

also, that emulation thingy will only work as long as no 64bit whatsoever is enabled. ie, no -force64 or anything, pure 32bits.
the reason is that the kernel is still 32 bits EXCEPT a VERY small portion of the kernel which i depend on, is indeed 64 bits as soon as you -force64 it. (confusing isn't it?) this limitation is going away once i get more time.

-- Sinetek

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
P.S.: I'll post later both diffs, for the connactic 10.7.5 and the sinactic 10.7.5. And, of course, i want to give credit for the minds who made these kernels possible (they did the real hard work: i just collected and assembled the parts): for the connactic kernel, RAWx86, Bronzovka, AnV and the Voodoo team. For the synaptic kernel, all those people plus sinetek a.k.a. slackware, who wrote the ssse3 emulator. Thank you all, guys.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts

yeah connactic, you're getting the hang of this. however you have to compile "ssse3emu.c" with the flag "-fno-jump-tables" otherwise it will crash at runtime because this is not a normal mach object but a binary blob in the commpage. See Makefile.i386 in osfmk to see how it's done.

also, that emulation thingy will only work as long as no 64bit whatsoever is enabled. ie, no -force64 or anything, pure 32bits.
the reason is that the kernel is still 32 bits EXCEPT a VERY small portion of the kernel which i depend on, is indeed 64 bits as soon as you -force64 it. (confusing isn't it?) this limitation is going away once i get more time.

-- Sinetek

Thank you, Sinetek: i'll follow your suggestion.

I noticed indeed that the kernel rufuses to compile at 64-bit because of the ssse3emu. The compiler complains about not being able to compile pusha and popa in 64-bit mode.

Gilles, kernel 11.5: that's for Lion 10.7.5, and won't do well on your FX computer. Only for Phenoms and older CPUs.

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I solved it myself: it was a matter of adding the ssse3emu.c to osfmk/config/filesi386 and filesx86_64 so the symbols are recognized.

And now, i gladly present you, my friends, the sinactic (yeah, without sinetek and his history-making ssse3 emulator, nothing of this would be possible) i386 10.7.5 kernel.

IMPORTANT: it's made for non-Bulldozer/Piledriver AMD CPUs, as well as legacy Intel CPUs (Pentium Ds, etc). Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs already have ssse3, thus they can run 64-bit mode processes on the 32-bit kernel. The ssse3 emulator perhaps gives to old AMD and legacy Intel CPUs the same capability. They should be able to boot without the -legacy boot flag, if everything works like it should. If not, at least everything would be in place for the improved ssse3 emulator sinetek is working on, and it would just be a matter of swapping the emulator.

Tested your 11.4.2 kernel with LION 10.7.5 on AMD P-II x4 965

1. WITH: -legacy

Posted Image

2. WITHOUT -legacy

Posted Image

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

I get the exact same as mac_carol above with Athlon II X2 215

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Panic with the ssse3 emulator.

Okay, later tonight i'll recompile the kernel using the flags Sinetek suggested and post the result here for testing. Thank you very much, guys! We'll make it, we're almost there!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Hi, Gilles!

The connactic 10.7.5 is for Bulldozer/Piledriver only. All other old AMD/legacy Intel CPUs must boot with -legacy. On your FX 6100, it will work under Lion 10.7.5 better than RAW's 10.7.4 kernel. On the 4800+, it should work with -legacy, and in fact it is working: the waiting for DSMOS is a decryption-related issue, caused by something else than the kernel.

The sinactic 10.7.5 kernel is for old AMD/legacy Intel CPUs only, because of the ssse3 emulator. But it's not working, because it must be compiled in a different way. I'll try to recompile it the right way later tonight. I'm taking a look at the source of the ssse3 emulator, to see what help can i offer on its improvement.

Thank you for the extensive tests.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
how long do you all think it'll be before i get a Ceise And Desist from Apple??

:thumbsup_anim: :king: :moil: :afro:

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

how long do you all think it'll be before i get a Ceise And Desist from Apple??

:thumbsup_anim: :king: :moil: :afro:

They used to come in the form of job offers.

Either way, {censored} 'em.

ZiggyW

ZiggyW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:World Peace and a working 64bits kernel osx10.8 for AMD
Hi theconnactic,
I 've downloaded and using your kernel on my and fx 6100 system.Running now 10.7.5
Runs smooth ( ) but can't run google chrome or other 32bit apps .
I appreciate your effort many thx to you and sinetek !

mainbord asus m4a89gtd
hd 6850
4gb mem

ZiggyW

ZiggyW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

tu as installé le patch AnV ?

you installed the patch AnV?

no i dont have the amd AnV patch
where can I find it?

I want to use it the most for my logic programs and plug-in

ZiggyW

ZiggyW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

InfiniteMac - View Single Post - Legacy kernel 10.6.8 with custom dyld and new SSE3 emulator and VIA Nano cpu support

:thumbsup_anim:

thanks for the link.
I found it a couple of days ago,but you can only download it when you're invited !

merci pour le lien.
Je l'ai trouvé un il ya quelques jours, mais vous ne pouvez le télécharger quand vous êtes invités!

je suis Hollandais

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,796 posts
Good to know everything is working fine, ZiggyW.

Keep in tune, news come out everyday here.

P.S.: if you guys use IRC, please join #legacykernel at the server irc.osx86.hu

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy