Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6306 replies to this topic

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,834 posts
Hi guys :)

it's really warm to see that there's as much diversity of language and it's for this reason that the international forums have been set up.

if you feel more comfortable with your country's language, these forums are here for you. ;)

but it's true that sometimes some "items" are discussed here and not elsewhere, so see many different nationalities on the same "item" is not something new.

So there's among these people, who are not too comfortable with the Shakespear's language and doing the best they can (even if it's with the Google translation) to be understood.

By cons, these same people should not forget that there's no "decoders" here to find out what you want to say, so make a slight effort to reread you before posting your reply.

So, to everyone, I ask you to be patient when making requests and assistances.

And pls, stay focused on the current item, there are many off-items ! :)

Cordially, staff

Justin Edwards

Justin Edwards

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

What I mean is, I can't get an "arch=x86_64" kernel to boot *at all*. I can't debug code because the kernel is 32 bit and the programs that crash in Lion etc are 64-bit stuff. So the debuger really doesn't like it when this switch between 32 and 64 mode occurs.

so my question is the following, is arch=x86_64 working at all on AMD right now? (my previous test kernel has no x86_64 blob in it, so maybe there is a kernel out there with a working x86_64. is this the case?)

when compiling the kernel, did you make sure you did it like this?

make ARCH_CONFIGS="I386 X86_64" KERNEL_CONFIGS="RELEASE"
then it builds both the kernels and puts them in two different folders
for i386 and x86_64

oh and btw, I am fluent in both French and English so I understand them both excellently lol

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Greetings from Ontario.

Sinetek, AMD boots arch=x86_64 on 10.6.x. On 10.7.x this results with an instant reboot. The workaround for Lion, and this is what Gils is doing, is to use arch=i386 and -force64, however, this no longer works with Mountain Lion. I recommend you talk to nawcom or meklort about this on IRC. Good luck!

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
Yeah OK, so the problem could be just on my end of things.

anyway, so ive thought of a workaround to work on 64bit {censored}.
People this will be frustrating to hear but i'm kinda in the mud with university, so i have to take it slow on the apple front. thanks for understanding, i'm sure you know how it is :help:

I'll try post magnet link of latest build, i think something went wrong compiling it ..

-- Sinetek

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,918 posts
Gilles, howdy?

Well, as RAWx86 said a number of times, his kernel can run 64-bit processes (apps etc) and, by default, it will only run these unless you apply AnV insn patches (but won't even boot on non-BulldozerPiledriver CPUs without -legacy, precisely because these lack ssse3 support). The fact his kernel works in 64-bit mode by does not mean, in any way, that it's a 64-bit kernel. If you want to test this, try to install a 64-bit-only kext on your system: i assure you it won't work. That is because kernel extensions ("kexts") run at kernel level and need to be running with a kernel of the same arch. What we could get until now with Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs was 64-bit mode (default) and 32-bit support (after applying the insn patch) on a arch i386 (32-bit) kernel. As SS01 said, the 64-bit kernel for Lion will give us either instant reboots, if running on Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs (by yet unknown reasons), or will freeze at launchd (where the user land should show itself out) on older AMDs (because of lack of support for ssse3).

Therefore, my suggestion to Sinetek - that would be as well a prof of concept - is to include his 32-bit ssse3 emulator in the 10.7.4 XNU kernel, compile it with RAW's diffs and try to boot it without the bootflag -legacy. Once in the desktop, it must be determined if the Finder is running without issues. That made, we could finally say that there is a stable Lion support for AMD, not only for a niche of Bulldozer/Piledriver users. Then, we must move on to Mountain Lion, and in that scenario a full 64-bit kernel would be a must, since all the kexts are compiled in 64-bit only (meaning no 32-bit kernel with 64-bit userland, which did the trick with previous iterations for us AMD users).

Thanks to all for keeping this topic moving.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
magnet link for latest build, contains test proggy, (please run it and tell me results) and the sources also.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FA1D1269B46C6AB7FF1800BF7025DBB71C8A1202&dn=kmach1d12&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce

theconnactic, i like your idea, the problem is without -force64 you won't be able to run the 64-bit only finder (is this correct?). you could use the DP2 finder which is 32b but then this defeats the whole point of this

-- Sinetek

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

magnet link for latest build, contains test proggy, (please run it and tell me results) and the sources also.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FA1D1269B46C6AB7FF1800BF7025DBB71C8A1202&dn=kmach1d12&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce

theconnactic, i like your idea, the problem is without -force64 you won't be able to run the 64-bit only finder (is this correct?). you could use the DP2 finder which is 32b but then this defeats the whole point of this

-- Sinetek

torrent download does not work

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,918 posts
Hi, Sinetek!

Since the OS is running on a 64-bit CPU, despite using a 32-bit kernel, it will try to run in 64-bit processes mode by default, without the necessity of the -force64 flag, just like it happens with Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs. That's why we users of old AMDs have to use the flag -legacy with Lion: without it, the OS will try to run in 64-bit mode and will fail to do so, because the ssse3 instructions needed are not supported. I can be wrong, but i think i'm not. If you do what i suggested, we'll all know! :)

By the way, until applying the insn patches, the bootflag maxmem=4096 must be used.

Thank you for the latest build, will test it asap.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

torrent download does not work

Hi Sinetek
torrent link is dead, it is possible to create another link

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
try this one

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FA1D1269B46C6AB7FF1800BF7025DBB71C8A1202&dn=kmach1d12&tr=udp%3a//tracker.publicbt.com%3a80

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,860 posts
Hi Sinetek,

your torrent link does not work --> utoorent been running at 58 minutes without a bit download
Please use this link to upload http://www.workupload.com/

SS01

SS01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Sinetek, nobody is seeing. Use mediafire or workupload please, thank you

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,918 posts
Yeah, Gilles!

The kernel and extensions are not 64-bit, meaning the mac mini is running a 32-bit Lion kernel, presumably in 64-bit mode user land.

It's the same thing with your Bulldozer hackint0sh: 32-bit kernel, 64-bit user land.

The problem is for Mountain Lion, it won't be enough: there's no 32-bit kernel extensions, so we must make a full 64-bit kernel. For AMDs to run the 64-bit user land in Lion, it's necessary to have ssse3 support, and that's why non-FX CPUs must boot with the flag -legacy. We're assuming the 64-bit user land, and maybe the kernel itself, needs ssse3 support also in Mountain Lion.

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
gilles, in your log, 4th line,
Dec 2 14:55:07 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 11.2.0: Tue Aug 9 20:56:15 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.24.8~1/RELEASE_I386

therein lies the answer.

Also it looks like I can code SSSE3 emulators for breakfast but can't figure out how to make a freaking torrent.
Someone has storage for 20megs?

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

gilles, in your log, 4th line,
Dec 2 14:55:07 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 11.2.0: Tue Aug 9 20:56:15 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.24.8~1/RELEASE_I386

therein lies the answer.

Also it looks like I can code SSSE3 emulators for breakfast but can't figure out how to make a freaking torrent.
Someone has storage for 20megs?

see my Post #626 you can Upload max 40 MB files with http://www.workupload.com/

:wallbash:

you see me as well as the extension on my FX kext is 64 bit ?? and not 32 bit ??

or I'm going crazy !?

Hey my friend, Gils, that's not bad. Sometimes you see not the forest for the trees.Posted Image

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,918 posts
Hi, Gilles!

The kernel extensions of your FX-6xxx aren't 64-bit: you're looking at the wrong place. :)

Take a look at logical->noyau et extensions 64bit, there is the accurate data. Believe me: despite running 64-bit processes, you're doing it on a 32-bit kernel.

Best regards!

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts
www.workupload.com/file/zElJMqT

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

Is this still for 10.6?

Will test it now...

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Great job Sinetek

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,834 posts
Hi Gilles, and others too ! :)

like theconnactic said it, kernel and extensions aren't the same thing. What we have here, it's a 32-bit kernel, i.e. with "only" 32-bit instructions to launch 32-bit bootEFI for Intel solo-core procs (like a mini mac from 2006).

But, these procs have 64-bits instructions to launch 64-mode so it's why we can see the 64-bits kexts launched with a 32-bits kernel. It's normal, because it's a 64-bits system so the 64-mode launches by default if there's a proc with 64-bits instructions.

But in reality, only 32-bits part of these kexts are launched, even if you see 64-bits kexts ! ;)

You can verify this patched kernel with Terminal, tape lipo -info copy/pasteyourpatchedkernel and you'll see there's only 32-bits instructions!!!! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy