Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6101 replies to this topic

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh
Hello again.

I have some news for you. Good and bad ones. You can choose which one you want to read first.
And also, everyone with even a little bit of interest, get to the IRC, please. We need more chatters there! :)

IRC.OSX86.HU - #LegacyKernel, #MountainLion

Good:
Spoiler

Bad:
Spoiler

EDIT: Restored the BaseSystem.dmg to my other HDD, trying to boot from it now. I think also USBBusFix=yes may help.

EDIT2: Got maybe a little further with HDD installation: Still waiting for root device, but interesting new error about IOStorageFamily.kext missing :) The same problem as when updating to 10.7.4. I'll just find the 10.7.3 IOStorageFamily.kext and report what it did. :)

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

Hello again.

I have some news for you. Good and bad ones. You can choose which one you want to read first.
And also, everyone with even a little bit of interest, get to the IRC, please. We need more chatters there! :)

Good:

Spoiler

Bad:
Spoiler

This seems like a good step forward. Did you try using USBLegacyOff=Yes

Try this file,

Attached File  IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.zip   74.39KB   6 downloads

Also could you PM me where you got DP1 from.

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Hello again.

Good:

Spoiler

Bad:
Spoiler

To compile XNU for 10.8 you need LION 10.7 and the Xcode 4. I have ML 10.8 and XCode 4.4 but I have no experience with the compiling of the XNU.

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Leopard 10.5
www.workupload.com/file/o33cKXy

Edited by spakk, 17 November 2012 - 12:30 AM.

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

To compile XNU for 10.8 you need LION 10.7 and the Xcode 4. I have ML 10.8 and XCode 4.2 but I have no experience with the compiling of the XNU.

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Leopard 10.5
www.workupload.com/file/o33cKXy

I don't understand the Lion part. Why would it be needed, I already have XCode 4.2... What does Lion do different?
Thanks for the kext, but I'll go with the 10.7.3 version, as I'm running 10.7.4 kernel.

EDIT: Adding the kext just removed the error, still stuck @ some USB Hub thing & Still waiting for root device, even if booting from HDD.
Going to try:

USBBusFix=Yes Enable the EHCI and UHCI fixes (disabled by default).
EHCIacquire=Yes Enable the EHCI fix (disabled by default).
UHCIreset=Yes Enable the UHCI fix (disabled by default).
USBLegacyOff=Yes Force USB Legacy off (disabled by default).

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

I don't understand the Lion part. Why would it be needed, I already have XCode 4.2... What does Lion do different?
Thanks for the kext, but I'll go with the 10.7.3 version, as I'm running 10.7.4 kernel.

with LION10.7.4. only with DP1 and only with 32-bit on GA-990FXA-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. The system is not stable.

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

with LION10.7.4. only with DP1 and only with 32-bit on GA-990FXA-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. The system is not stable.

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.2 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

EDIT: Maybe some progress booting the DP1! Got rid of the USB bus errors with USBLegacyOff=Yes (maybe it disables all usb ports, don't know before booting to the OS). But...
Still waiting for root device...

Note: this is on my IDE-drive based AMD system. Going to try with my Phenom II 965 and SATA HDD. :)

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.4 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

EDIT: Maybe some progress booting the DP1! Got rid of the USB bus errors with USBLegacyOff=Yes (maybe it disables all usb ports, don't know before booting to the OS). But...

Note: this is on my IDE-drive based AMD system. Going to try with my Phenom II 965 and SATA HDD. :)

ups, sorry,

I have Xcode4.2 for Mountain Lion. Xcode 4.4 runs on my laptop with Mountain Lion 10.8

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.2 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

can also be the cause of incorrectly set BIOS.
Mac OS X USB HDD must come first/ into the first slot.

You need this drivers for AMD "AppleFileSystemDriver.kext" and "IOStorageFamily.kext"

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/AppleFileSystemDriver.kext.zip

and

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/IOStorageFamily.kext.zip

unzip the files, and move it to \ system \ Library \ Extensions.

Edited by spakk, 17 November 2012 - 12:32 AM.

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

ups, sorry,

I have Xcode4.2 for Mountain Lion. Xcode 4.2 runs on my laptop with Mountain Lion 10.8

can also be the cause of incorrectly set BIOS.
Mac OS X USB HDD must come first/ into the first slot.

You need this drivers for AMD "AppleFileSystemDriver.kext" and "IOStorageFamily.kext"

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453amd/AppleFileSystemDriver.kext.zip

and

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/IOStorageFamily.kext.

unzip the files, and move it to \ system \ Library \ Extensions.

Thanks for the new kexts, will try those.
I'm sure my BIOS is configured right, AHCI and stuff.
Tried to boot from the USB stick and got a kernel panic on my Phenom II 965 system.
Will post picture later. :)

EDIT: I'm a "little" tired now... It's 2:09 AM here, time to go to bed... Like the one kext tool that's name I can't remember said: Have a good day (night).
Going to take a look @ the kernel panic tomorrow. The reason why I think I should now go sleep is I accidentally turned off wrong computer. I just holded the power button down for like 10 seconds and then I was like WTF how in the hell does the screen still have picture... Then I realized it was the other computer... So good night everyone.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts
These two kexts have the problem with "still wait for root device ....." adjusted to my system.

Thanks for the new kexts, will try those.
I'm sure my BIOS is configured right, AHCI and stuff.
Tried to boot from the USB stick and got a kernel panic on my Phenom II 965 system.
Will post picture later. :)

EDIT: I'm a "little" tired now... It's 2:09 AM here, time to go to bed... Like the one kext tool that's name I can't remember said: Have a good day (night).
Going to take a look @ the kernel panic tomorrow. The reason why I think I should now go sleep is I accidentally turned off wrong computer. I just holded the power button down for like 10 seconds and then I was like WTF how in the hell does the screen still have picture... Then I realized it was the other computer... So good night everyone.

:thumbsup_anim: :superman: Good night

gils83

gils83

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:le soleil du var et l'informatique
)-

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

These two kexts have the problem with "still wait for root device ....." adjusted to my system.

:thumbsup_anim: :superman: Good night

Hi!
The problem with my IDE system was the missing kexts for IDE drives (ApplePIIXATA.kext and other stuff).
With my Phenom II 965 system and SATA drives (correct kexts), it loaded, but paniced.

EDIT: The pic... :)

1. This is just an example of the messages I get. I get like thousands of those lines, will probably take a video soon...
2. IOStorageFamily.kext, again. I think it causes the panic. NOTE: This is not with Spakk's kexts! Will try with them soon!
3. Here you can see my boot flags and other stuff related to the kernel, 11.4.0 as you can see.

Posted Image

EDIT2: Spakk's kexts: Loads maybe a little further (don't know)... Stuck on some kext loading, again. It appears to be a wrong version of IOStorageFamily.kext.
Posted Image

EDIT3: So close, but still so far. Found out that after about 3 restarts the kext thingy fixed itself. New panic.
Posted Image

Quick googling and it seems that the error is somehow to related to HDD (or in this case USB-stick) failing. However, I don't know if thats the case, the stick works fine with other computers... :D

EDIT4: I can confirm it is not related to any specific HDD or usb-stick. Tried booting from the IDE-drive (with AppleVIAATA.kext or something, same panic: Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 86

EDIT5: Tried with launchd from SL 10.6.8, same panic. I think we need the Lion 10.7.4 launchd?
Heres the function that calls the panic, some coder could take a look:

load_init_program(proc_t p)
{
vm_offset_t init_addr;
int argc = 0;
uint32_t argv[3];
int error;
int retval[2];
/*
* Copy out program name.
*/
init_addr = VM_MIN_ADDRESS;
(void) vm_allocate(current_map(), &init_addr, PAGE_SIZE,
VM_FLAGS_ANYWHERE);
if (init_addr == 0)
init_addr++;
(void) copyout((caddr_t) init_program_name, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
(unsigned) sizeof(init_program_name)+1);
argv[argc++] = (uint32_t)init_addr;
init_addr += sizeof(init_program_name);
init_addr = (vm_offset_t)ROUND_PTR(char, init_addr);
/*
* Put out first (and only) argument, similarly.
* Assumes everything fits in a page as allocated
* above.
*/
if (boothowto & RB_SINGLE) {
const char *init_args = "-s";
copyout(init_args, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
strlen(init_args));
init_addr += strlen(init_args);
}
/*
* Null-end the argument list
*/
argv[argc] = 0;

/*
* Copy out the argument list.
*/

(void) copyout((caddr_t) argv, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
(unsigned) sizeof(argv));
/*
* Set up argument block for fake call to execve.
*/
init_exec_args.fname = CAST_USER_ADDR_T(argv[0]);
init_exec_args.argp = CAST_USER_ADDR_T((char **)init_addr);
init_exec_args.envp = CAST_USER_ADDR_T(0);

/*
* So that mach_init task is set with uid,gid 0 token
*/
set_security_token(p);
if (KERN_patcherOpts & OPT_PATCHER_DEBUG)
dump_patcher_opts();
error = execve(p,&init_exec_args,retval);
if (error)
panic("Process 1 exec of %s failed, errno %d",
	 init_program_name, error);
}

Also, here is something kinda positive from Wikipedia:

launchd launchd has two main tasks. The first is to boot the system, and the second is to load and maintain services.
Here is a simplified view of the Mac OS X Tiger system startup on a PowerPC Mac (on an Intel Mac, EFI replaces Open Firmware and boot.efi replaces BootX):

1. Open Firmware activates, initializes the hardware, and then loads BootX.
2. BootX loads the kernel, spins the pinwheel cursor, and loads any needed kernel extensions (kexts).
3. The kernel loads launchd.
4. launchd runs /etc/rc, scans through /System/Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons and acts on the plists as needed, and starts the login window.

So, about 50% boot! :D

gils83

gils83

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
)-

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

:thumbsup_anim:

Advanced nice! I wonder if the problem is not in Extension/coreservice, as 11.4 is able to start, it should go through ??

I returned to the test :moil:

The problem at this moment is LaunchDaemon. It throws error 86, no idea what it is.
I think launchd is open source too, so someone could take a look :)

Anyway, I'm downloading the 10.7.4 combo update, trying to extract the launchd from it. :)

gils83

gils83

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
)-

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Hi!
The problem with my IDE system was the missing kexts for IDE drives (ApplePIIXATA.kext and other stuff).
With my Phenom II 965 system and SATA drives (correct kexts), it loaded, but paniced.

EDIT: The pic... :)

1. This is just an example of the messages I get. I get like thousands of those lines, will probably take a video soon...
2. IOStorageFamily.kext, again. I think it causes the panic. NOTE: This is not with Spakk's kexts! Will try with them soon!
3. Here you can see my boot flags and other stuff related to the kernel, 11.4.0 as you can see.

EDIT2: Spakk's kexts: Loads maybe a little further (don't know)... Stuck on some kext loading, again. It appears to be a wrong version of IOStorageFamily.kext.

EDIT3: So close, but still so far. Found out that after about 3 restarts the kext thingy fixed itself. New panic.

Quick googling and it seems that the error is somehow to related to HDD (or in this case USB-stick) failing. However, I don't know if thats the case, the stick works fine with other computers... :D

EDIT4: I can confirm it is not related to any specific HDD or usb-stick. Tried booting from the IDE-drive (with AppleVIAATA.kext or something, same panic: Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 86

EDIT5: Tried with launchd from SL 10.6.8, same panic. I think we need the Lion 10.7.4 launchd?
Heres the function that calls the panic, some coder could take a look:

load_init_program(proc_t p)
{
vm_offset_t init_addr;
int argc = 0;
uint32_t argv[3];
int error;
int retval[2];
/*
* Copy out program name.
*/
init_addr = VM_MIN_ADDRESS;
(void) vm_allocate(current_map(), &init_addr, PAGE_SIZE,
VM_FLAGS_ANYWHERE);
if (init_addr == 0)
init_addr++;
(void) copyout((caddr_t) init_program_name, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
(unsigned) sizeof(init_program_name)+1);
init_addr += sizeof(init_program_name);
/*
* Put out first (and only) argument, similarly.
* Assumes everything fits in a page as allocated
* above.
*/
if (boothowto & RB_SINGLE) {
const char *init_args = "-s";
copyout(init_args, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
strlen(init_args));
init_addr += strlen(init_args);
}
/*
* Null-end the argument list
*/
argv[argc] = 0;

/*
* Copy out the argument list.
*/

(void) copyout((caddr_t) argv, CAST_USER_ADDR_T(init_addr),
(unsigned) sizeof(argv));
/*
* Set up argument block for fake call to execve.
*/
init_exec_args.fname = CAST_USER_ADDR_T(argv[0]);
init_exec_args.argp = CAST_USER_ADDR_T((char **)init_addr);
init_exec_args.envp = CAST_USER_ADDR_T(0);

/*
* So that mach_init task is set with uid,gid 0 token
*/
set_security_token(p);
if (KERN_patcherOpts & OPT_PATCHER_DEBUG)
dump_patcher_opts();
error = execve(p,&init_exec_args,retval);
if (error)
panic("Process 1 exec of %s failed, errno %d",
	 init_program_name, error);
}

Also, here is something kinda positive from Wikipedia:

So, about 50% boot! :D

Very good documentation and recherche, I like it very well. :thumbsup_anim: That is the only way to specifically work on a solution to our problem out to solve successfully. :wink2:

I miss our friend theconnatic, I did not have seen for a while here.

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
This is my boot attempt with DP1 and Lion AMD kernel with many files from Lion on my AMD Athlon II X2 215

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353154707.240726.jpg   247.1KB   19 downloads

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts
I have read that some users write to try that one should dare to delete The instructions SSSE3 one possible path, the Mountain Lion would launch AMD. Has anyone tried to change the code snippets. Results, if so, what?

I would make so many attempts, unfortunately I am not familiar with Xcode, can someone make a video of how to use the Xcode XNU build a mach_kernel to post here? Please

I have now found a tutorial in German, I'll try using this manual.

but if someone would post a video example here, it would be wonderful. Then we can touch us our hands dirty and not just sit and watch idly here.

Edited by spakk, 17 November 2012 - 01:10 PM.

gils83

gils83

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

I have read that some users write to try that one should dare to delete The instructions SSSE3 one possible path, the Mountain Lion would launch AMD. Has anyone tried to change the code snippets. Results, if so, what?

I would make so many attempts, unfortunately I am not familiar with Xcode, can someone make a video of how to use the Xcode XNU build a mach_kernel to post here? Please

I have now found a tutorial in German, I'll try using this manual.

but if someone would post a video example here, it would be wonderful. Then we can touch us our hands dirty and not just sit and watch idly here.

:)

ah ! yes !

it would be great, I personally do not understand it, in addition xcode is in English, I ML 10.8.2 of valid, if someone could guide us to modify and compile a kernel that would be a very large advanced so there would be more people working on it. :moil:

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

:)

ah ! yes !

it would be great, I personally do not understand it, in addition xcode is in English, I ML 10.8.2 of valid, if someone could guide us to modify and compile a kernel that would be a very large advanced so there would be more people working on it. :moil:

Thank you confirm my view, GILS

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
After playing about with kexts for a bit I'm now getting this on boot but still with waiting for root device

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353167710.798113.jpg   253.71KB   17 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy