Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

cparm's branch is Chameleon. Changing branch would not change anything. But, it is even not clear if what I write you is correct. Can you dump FirmwareMemoryMap with DarwinDumper?
And, do you need to use -x switch?

I will check it out tonight.
thx

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Well was replying to the poster who seemed to imply it was easy, and wanted to point out that it isn't, and those working on it going to have a big, but very interesting, job getting it working.

1. This is the change to the bcopy.s routine that has been in other patches for Snow Leopard and Lion. Assembler change to xnu source code. http://tgwbd.org/darwin/xnu.html
2. This is a source code change to xnu and is in the C code
3. Well there are other things such as MSR and TSC related code that are CPU specific and need changing in the xnu C code. (For example cpu.c and tsc.c)
4. I haven't seen any code for this, but am still looking to find something that would help. I did think about qemu code but haven't really looked in detail.
5. Actually AndyV's work in post #324 really applies to this issue on fixing CPUID in Mach-O format executables. This is a static patcher rather than dynamic, and would mean if a 3rd party app used SSSE3 or indeed SSE4 it would likely panic when the opcode was executed. Meklort and others built a dyld patch, no source, that fixed this up on loading the executable.

For a Bulldozer CPU 2,3 and 5 would be needed. For those AMD processors without SSSE3, 1 and 4 are also required.

I don't have access to an AMD machine, but I have had an idea using VMware to see if masking the vCPU CPUID would work. This would at least see if an AMD Bulldozer CPU could boot by masking out AMD string from CPUID. I will need to have a bit more of a think about it, but may help see if the other CPUID values work. It's a bit of a long shot and if I think it is possible would need someone with AMD Bulldozer SVM enabled CPU..

I have found a C-Code for the high-resolution timer on many CPUs and compiler read.

here

instant idiot

instant idiot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Gils posted a pic over here: http://osx86.co/f102....html#post59113

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Gils posted a pic over here: http://osx86.co/f102....html#post59113

Is that not the wrong approach of Gils? He has tested the connatic custom kernel on an Intel machine. Gils should do the test on his AMD Buldozer machine, I think he has a CPU FX8120, then we can see whether or not the kernel runs. :fishing1:

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

I will check it out tonight.
thx

here is my test tonight (with only 8 GB of 16 GB of RAM installed)
booted with boot flag: -v -x cpus=6 arch=x86_64 busratio=20 maxmem=4096 npci=0x2000 ending with KPs like last time.

with boot flag: -s cpus=6 arch=x86_64

here the images:

http://www.workuploa...m/image/DlM5dKx
http://www.workuploa...m/image/rR5FVx0

Please make a few suggestions, so that I clean the problems.

tested on Hachintosh: GA-990FXA-UD3 with AMD Phenom II X6 1100T / 8 GB DDR3 1600 C9 / NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 TI 3072 MB

With the following BIOS settings (BIOS Version F2 ,First release):

Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) -> • Everything left at default!

Standard CMOS Features---> • Mountain Lion HDD connected in the first place. All other unnecessary hardware is removed.

Advanced BIOS Features -> • AMD C1E [Disabled]
• Virtualization [Enabled]
• AMD 8 Col & Q. [Auto]

Integrated Peripherals ---> • On Chip SATA Controller [Enabled]
• On Chip SATA Type [AHCI / Native IDE]
• On-chip SATA 3.0 [Enabled]
• F_USB30 Controller [Enabled]
• SATA3 Controller [Enabled]
• SATA3 Ctrl Mode [AHCI]
• ON Board 1394 Function [Disabled]
• The rest remains unchanged!

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I am of the opinion that the roadblock is userspace FIPS mode. Kernelspace FIPS mode can be avoided with fips_mode=0. During boot, /usr/libexec/cc_fips_test gets executed. No one, no kernel so far, has gotten past this point.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

I am of the opinion that the roadblock is userspace FIPS mode. Kernelspace FIPS mode can be avoided with fips_mode=0. During boot, /usr/libexec/cc_fips_test gets executed. No one, no kernel so far, has gotten past this point.

and how can you fix the problem in detail?

Should I be using boot flag:-s cpus = 6 arch = x86_64 fips_mode = 0 boot?
or how do you mean?

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Oh, I have no idea. But, if you boot with fips_mode=0 you will see it skip the FIPS POST test and claim that it is 'Bypassing FIPS mode for kernel space!" and then it hangs. Open the cc_fips_test executable in a hex or even text editor and you'll find a similar string "Bypassing FIPS mode for user space!". How to get there, with either a boot arg, kernel source modification, or binary patching is a mystery.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Oh, I have no idea. But, if you boot with fips_mode=0 you will see it skip the FIPS POST test and claim that it is 'Bypassing FIPS mode for kernel space!" and then it hangs. Open the cc_fips_test executable in a hex or even text editor and you'll find a similar string "Bypassing FIPS mode for user space!". How to get there, with either a boot arg, kernel source modification, or binary patching is a mystery.

thank you very much, I'll try. Then I will report.

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Should I be using boot flag:-s cpus = 6 arch = x86_64 fips_mode = 0 boot?
or how do you mean?

Mind your spaces on both sides of the '='.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Mind your spaces on both sides of the '='.

:thumbsup_anim:

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
It's worth noting that cc_fips_test depends on /usr/lib/system/libcorecrypto.dylib.

Perhaps at least one of these can be disassembled and patched to return some value that appeases the boot process. On this I will defer to the programmers following this thread.

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
:thumbsup_anim: Hi guys, now my corocrypt.kext file under S / L / E.
Yesterday I installed on the other partition ML 10.8.2 and then the installation installed in S / L / E the corocrypt.kext file.

Then I have copied the file on my ML 10.8 partition, done. :thumbsup_anim:

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.
This is my boot on AMD Athlon II X2 215 using the latests kernel with corecrypto deleted.

Used the following boot flags,

-v arch=x86_64

Attached File  IMG_0036.JPG   210.93KB   19 downloads Attached File  IMG_0037.JPG   210.64KB   16 downloads

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

This is my boot on AMD Athlon II X2 215 using the latests kernel with corecrypto deleted.

Used the following boot flags,

-v arch=x86_64

What about with fips_mode=0 arch=x86_64 -v

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
Exactly the same thing. Seems to freeze at the mig_table_max_displ part. Tried limiting the RAM to 2GB and 4GB still the same.

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Exactly the same thing. Seems to freeze at the mig_table_max_displ part. Tried limiting the RAM to 2GB and 4GB still the same.

At the very least, I would restore corecrypto to its original location and continue testing. Boot will halt if the kext has been modified or (ostensibly) missing.

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

At the very least, I would restore corecrypto to its original location and continue testing. Boot will halt if the kext has been modified or (ostensibly) missing.

Here is it with corecyrtpo back and the bootflags you posted.

Attached File  IMG_0038.JPG   279.74KB   18 downloads

spakk

spakk

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
We will not move forward with the current kernel. The current kernel stops at all in the same place.
We need to be patient a few days until theconnatic for us makes a new kernel. Which, I hope it will work. :wink2:

zchef2k

zchef2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Here is it with corecyrtpo back and the bootflags you posted.

Can you repost a wider shot of that screen? There's output before the freeze I don't see on my machine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy