Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

ah! awesome!

You are top! soon we will feast on our PC AMD cougar ! :superman:

For once, he'll have you change your processor ! Honestly the FX runs really well under Lion 10.7, I imagine in ML10.8 :jester:

As I said, my friend, no later than end of the year I'm going to buy the FX8350. I'm almost sure the investment in AMD Phenom was a fehlendscheidung. The CPU FX8350 can compete with Intel very good or even better. Unfortunately, I know no one has successfully installed the Mountain Lion.

or theconnatic can convince me with a SSSE3 :soldiers: emu with executable modified kernel? :yoji:

A little gallows humor may be allowed this time :jester:

maybe of interest:

http://translate.goo...la.blogspot.de/

http://translate.goo...http://0x80.pl/

http://wmula.blogspo.../search?q=SSSE3

http://translate.goo...s/snippets.html

I know not whether this is of significance

See also: SSSE3: printing hex values (weird use of PSHUFB instruction)

http://wm.ite.pl/art...e-hexprint.html

Edited by spakk

:thumbsup_anim:

yes!

For € 110 (FX 6100), you're not better! FX 8350 not disappoint you in relation to the supply intel, I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with the phenom, it is a little on the test faiblare D4D, but in handbrake64 sends quite the 6100! ! you have a pretty nice video fluidity and flexible enough in any application.

What happiness!

:weight_lift::boxing: petit mais costauds !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

198072Capturedcran20121114235037.png

995676Capturedcran20120825024503.png

I know a little about the language list and lader for programming PLCs schneider but then I admit it gives me a headache, it's really a big job! it really is well above my skills :worried_anim:

I using Google translation, it is not the best solution but I'm trying to find a French not too colorful for google translation does not tell too much stupidity. ;)

there Bronzovka aka DmitriK and RAWX86 successful work on this kernel 11.4, there is no way he will adapt their work on the 12.0 kernel ?

:rolleyes:

je continu mes tests pour SS01 :moil:

Bronzovka and RAWX86 made a kernel that booted Lion successfully. That kernel is only 32-bit, because AMD processors (expect Bulldozers and newer) doesn't support the SSSE3 instructions set (yea, 3x S + E3).

32-bit kernel doesn't use these SSSE3 instructions in Lion.

However, Mountain Lion is STRICTLY 64-bit (kexts and stuff). There is no way to boot a 32-bit 10.8 OS X.

Actually, it is possible, but not reachable. We would need to develop our own 32-bit drivers and kernel, which would be probably harder than making completely new operating system. :D

That's why we're talking about SSSE3 emulator. It was possible with SSE3 (2x S + E3), so why not SSSE3?

It is maybe a "little" harder task with SSSE3, but should be achievable with our talented coders. :)

what if we boot DP1 with arch=i386 and the Bronzovka patches? The 32 bit kernel wasn't removed until DP2. Obviously not a viable solution for a stable kernel, but we could use it as an alpha/proof-of-concept idea.

Bronzovka and RAWX86 made a kernel that booted Lion successfully. That kernel is only 32-bit, because AMD processors (expect Bulldozers and newer) doesn't support the SSSE3 instructions set (yea, 3x S + E3).

However, Mountain Lion is STRICTLY 64-bit (kexts and stuff). There is no way to boot a 32-bit 10.8 OS X.

Actually, it is possible, but not reachable. We would need to develop our own 32-bit drivers and kernel, which would be probably harder than making completely new operating system. :D

That's why we're talking about SSSE3 emulator. It was possible with SSE3 (2x S + E3), so why not SSSE3?

It is maybe a "little" harder task with SSSE3, but should be achievable with our talented coders. :)

This bast_ards of Apple and Intel have us purely ridden in the sh_it :wallbash:, now we have to go against Apple and Intel plead before the court. :thumbsup_anim: :wink2:

How can we build the SSE3 emu, make a few details to the attached data. Here is all I've found for SSE3 emu.Then we write everything public.

http://www.workupload.com/file/s3hJ37d

and

http://www.workupload.com/file/jT682nE

uh! no, :)

bronkozva core supports 64 bit, AMD FX on the installation you can do it in 64 bit or 32 bit based on the SSE3 (emulate) my FX 6100 performs both with patch ANV .

if you look closely Geekbench32 / etc flashpalyer (32 bit) is ok and cinebench 64, handbrake64 etc. summarize all applications work.

RAWX86 kernel also works well on intel (core2duo/i3/i5/i7) in both formats (32/64) :)

test: i3 2100 / i5 2400 / Xeon E3 1230 / core2duo T6500 / Core2Quad Q6600 etc and of course the whole series AMD FX! )

what if we boot DP1 with arch=i386 and the Bronzovka patches? The 32 bit kernel wasn't removed until DP2. Obviously not a viable solution for a stable kernel, but we could use it as an alpha/proof-of-concept idea.

:moil:

it is a good idea, because it is the only version of Lion Mountain, which starts on both my MacMini early 2006 and the FX without KP, it may be a basis for work?

uh! no, :)

bronkozva core supports 64 bit, AMD FX on the installation you can do it in 64 bit or 32 bit based on the SSE3 (emulate) my FX 6100 performs both with patch ANV .

if you look closely Geekbench32 / etc flashpalyer (32 bit) is ok and cinebench 64, handbrake64 etc. summarize all applications work.

RAWX86 kernel also works well on intel (core2duo/i3/i5/i7) in both formats (32/64) :)

test: i3 2100 / i5 2400 / Xeon E3 1230 / core2duo T6500 / Core2Quad Q6600 etc and of course the whole series AMD FX! )

:moil:

it is a good idea, because it is the only version of Lion Mountain, which starts on both my MacMini early 2006 and the FX without KP, it may be a basis for work?

AMD FX = Bulldozers and newer ;).

DOES DP1 HAVE ARCH i386? Someone should have said that earlier... :D

I think the problem is that we don't have kernel sources for DPs... :|

Or maybe it is possible to compile the 10.8 GM kernel to supprt arch=i386?

Just found that Netkas already did it! http://netkas.org/?p=1187

So, 32-bit 10.8 kernel in DP1 installation could work! :)

I'll test it with my Athlon 4000+ and Phenom II 965 and tell ya the results!

AMD FX = Bulldozers and newer ;).

I think the problem is that we don't have kernel sources for DPs... strong>ression.gif

:thumbsup_anim:

ah! yes! good find! this is why my macmini start! it has a 32 bit firmware and I never understood why he started up on DP1 and not the final

I'll try something.

I'm back. :weight_lift:

I think the problem is that we don't have kernel sources for DPs... strong>ression.gif

Don't get too excited - it's possible 10.8 introduced ssse3 into even the 32-bit kernel. It's definitely worth a shot, however.

Don't get too excited - it's possible 10.8 introduced ssse3 into even the 32-bit kernel. It's definitely worth a shot, however.

Of course it is possible the SSSE3 is in 32-bit too, but unlikely.

The Lion didn't have SSSE3 instructions in 32-bit, why would Mountain Lion? :D

:)

Just trying to install XCode 4.2 on my SL...

3rd time installing it now... I always get a kernel panic in the middle of the installation, gotta try with AnV kernel soon... I think it's somehow related to Nawcom's patches.

EDIT: Oh {censored}... I just managed to {censored} up my SL :D

Accidentally deleted dev folder instead of Developer...

sudo rm -r /dev*

Can't mount any disks, can't open terminal, can't fix a disk with Disk Utility (tells me to boot from installation media).

And I installed the SL from a usb-stick, which is currently empty. xD

I'll try to find some old dvd drive and hook it up and fix the drive with ModCD and 10.6 retail disc... :D

EDIT2: Managed to fix the drive, now installing XCode (5th time...).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT3: Connactic, care to share how you compiled 10.8 kernel?

I have only SL 10.6.8 to compile with, so it's pretty hard... I have XCode 4.2 and command line tools, and I think I also have all the dependencies needed.

Trying to build the vanilla kernel with ARCH_CONFIGS="x86_64" and KERNEL_CONFIGS="RELEASE".

I can successfully build the 32-bit AMD Lion kernel (applied diff), but 10.8 vanilla kernel compiling stops.

/K/vanilla/bsd/nfs/nfs_socket.c:5232:41: error: operands of ? are integers of different signs: 'u_int' (aka 'unsigned int') and 'int' [-Werror,-Wsign-compare] timeo = (nmp->nm_deadtimeout > timeo) ? max(nmp->nm_deadtimeout/8, timeo) : timeo;

I also get huge amount of warnings about everything. :D

spakk: eh? from what I can tell this is for running android on x86. No idea tbh.

As I said before, DP1 has arch=i386. so what if we took 10.8 release, took out /Extra/Extenstions and /System/Library/Extensions (and if needed, /Applications), replaced them with the same folders from DP1, then patched netkas' arch=i386 kernel with RAWx86's patches? This could, in theory, enable a full 32-bit instance in Mountain Lion.

@Deltac0 as far as I know, it is impossible to build 10.8 kernel on snow leopard. Ask someone with a mountain lion install or a real mac to compile it for you and link the kernel.

spakk: eh? from what I can tell this is for running android on x86. No idea tbh.

As I said before, DP1 has arch=i386. so what if we took 10.8 release, took out /Extra/Extenstions and /System/Library/Extensions (and if needed, /Applications), replaced them with the same folders from DP1, then patched netkas' arch=i386 kernel with RAWx86's patches? This could, in theory, enable a full 32-bit instance in Mountain Lion.

@Deltac0 as far as I know, it is impossible to build 10.8 kernel on snow leopard. Ask someone with a mountain lion install or a real mac to compile it for you and link the kernel.

Accordingly, the data that I have found in android not OK. I deleted the question precaution.

thanks for the answer SS01

Accordingly, the data that I have found in android not OK. I deleted the question precaution.

thanks for the answer SS01

android is opensource, it's fine to link it. Don't think it can be of any use though

Hello again.

I have some news for you. Good and bad ones. You can choose which one you want to read first.

And also, everyone with even a little bit of interest, get to the IRC, please. We need more chatters there! :)

IRC.OSX86.HU - #LegacyKernel, #MountainLion

Good:

I've made a 10.8 USB Installation stick and tried to boot it with various kernels.

I think it is MAYBE possible to boot DP1 with Lion kernel. I tried with RAWX86 AMD kernel and it just hangs on some kext loading (IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext, not CoreCrypto).

Now I'm trying to find a working IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext. Without it I just get Waiting for root device error, which is not surprising. If it can't load the driver for USB, how could it use it?

Another way to install the DP1 could be separate HDD/Partition, in which case you wouldn't need IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

I've only tried to use the stock kext and SL 10.6.8 kext (which I think isn't really the 10.6.8, I may have restored it from like 10.6.3).

So, if someone could provide a 32-bit IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Lion, I'd be glad. :)

Bad:

I can't compile the XNU for 10.8 on my SL, so I cannot make a new kernel. XNU for 10.7 Lion compiles well though.

EDIT: Restored the BaseSystem.dmg to my other HDD, trying to boot from it now. I think also USBBusFix=yes may help.

EDIT2: Got maybe a little further with HDD installation: Still waiting for root device, but interesting new error about IOStorageFamily.kext missing :) The same problem as when updating to 10.7.4. I'll just find the 10.7.3 IOStorageFamily.kext and report what it did. :)

Hello again.

I have some news for you. Good and bad ones. You can choose which one you want to read first.

And also, everyone with even a little bit of interest, get to the IRC, please. We need more chatters there! :)

Good:

I've made a 10.8 USB Installation stick and tried to boot it with various kernels.

I think it is MAYBE possible to boot DP1 with Lion kernel. I tried with RAWX86 AMD kernel and it just hangs on some kext loading (IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext, not CoreCrypto).

Now I'm trying to find a working IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext. Without it I just get Waiting for root device error, which is not surprising. If it can't load the driver for USB, how could it use it?

Another way to install the DP1 could be separate HDD/Partition, in which case you wouldn't need IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

I've only tried to use the stock kext and SL 10.6.8 kext (which I think isn't really the 10.6.8, I may have restored it from like 10.6.3).

So, if someone could provide a 32-bit IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Lion, I'd be glad. :)

Bad:

I can't compile the XNU for 10.8 on my SL, so I cannot make a new kernel. XNU for 10.7 Lion compiles well though.

This seems like a good step forward. Did you try using USBLegacyOff=Yes

Try this file,

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.zip

Also could you PM me where you got DP1 from.

Hello again.

Good:

Bad:

To compile XNU for 10.8 you need LION 10.7 and the Xcode 4. I have ML 10.8 and XCode 4.4 but I have no experience with the compiling of the XNU.

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Leopard 10.5

www.workupload.com/file/o33cKXy

Edited by spakk

To compile XNU for 10.8 you need LION 10.7 and the Xcode 4. I have ML 10.8 and XCode 4.2 but I have no experience with the compiling of the XNU.

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Leopard 10.5

www.workupload.com/file/o33cKXy

I don't understand the Lion part. Why would it be needed, I already have XCode 4.2... What does Lion do different?

Thanks for the kext, but I'll go with the 10.7.3 version, as I'm running 10.7.4 kernel.

EDIT: Adding the kext just removed the error, still stuck @ some USB Hub thing & Still waiting for root device, even if booting from HDD.

Going to try:

USBBusFix=Yes Enable the EHCI and UHCI fixes (disabled by default).

EHCIacquire=Yes Enable the EHCI fix (disabled by default).

UHCIreset=Yes Enable the UHCI fix (disabled by default).

USBLegacyOff=Yes Force USB Legacy off (disabled by default).

I don't understand the Lion part. Why would it be needed, I already have XCode 4.2... What does Lion do different?

Thanks for the kext, but I'll go with the 10.7.3 version, as I'm running 10.7.4 kernel.

with LION10.7.4. only with DP1 and only with 32-bit on GA-990FXA-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. The system is not stable.

with LION10.7.4. only with DP1 and only with 32-bit on GA-990FXA-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. The system is not stable.

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.2 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

EDIT: Maybe some progress booting the DP1! Got rid of the USB bus errors with USBLegacyOff=Yes (maybe it disables all usb ports, don't know before booting to the OS). But...

Still waiting for root device...

Note: this is on my IDE-drive based AMD system. Going to try with my Phenom II 965 and SATA HDD. :)

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.4 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

EDIT: Maybe some progress booting the DP1! Got rid of the USB bus errors with USBLegacyOff=Yes (maybe it disables all usb ports, don't know before booting to the OS). But...

Note: this is on my IDE-drive based AMD system. Going to try with my Phenom II 965 and SATA HDD. :)

ups, sorry,

I have Xcode4.2 for Mountain Lion. Xcode 4.4 runs on my laptop with Mountain Lion 10.8

May I ask, what version of XCode you have? XCode 4.2 for Lion? How did you manage to install it if you're booting 32-bit? Or is the 4.2 for Snow Leopard modified to install on Lion?

can also be the cause of incorrectly set BIOS.

Mac OS X USB HDD must come first/ into the first slot.

You need this drivers for AMD "AppleFileSystemDriver.kext" and "IOStorageFamily.kext"

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/AppleFileSystemDriver.kext.zip

and

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/IOStorageFamily.kext.zip

unzip the files, and move it to \ system \ Library \ Extensions.

Edited by spakk

ups, sorry,

I have Xcode4.2 for Mountain Lion. Xcode 4.2 runs on my laptop with Mountain Lion 10.8

can also be the cause of incorrectly set BIOS.

Mac OS X USB HDD must come first/ into the first slot.

You need this drivers for AMD "AppleFileSystemDriver.kext" and "IOStorageFamily.kext"

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453amd/AppleFileSystemDriver.kext.zip

and

dl.dropbox.com/u/38450453/amd/IOStorageFamily.kext.

unzip the files, and move it to \ system \ Library \ Extensions.

Thanks for the new kexts, will try those.

I'm sure my BIOS is configured right, AHCI and stuff.

Tried to boot from the USB stick and got a kernel panic on my Phenom II 965 system.

Will post picture later. :)

EDIT: I'm a "little" tired now... It's 2:09 AM here, time to go to bed... Like the one kext tool that's name I can't remember said: Have a good day (night).

Going to take a look @ the kernel panic tomorrow. The reason why I think I should now go sleep is I accidentally turned off wrong computer. I just holded the power button down for like 10 seconds and then I was like WTF how in the hell does the screen still have picture... Then I realized it was the other computer... So good night everyone.

These two kexts have the problem with "still wait for root device ....." adjusted to my system.

Thanks for the new kexts, will try those.

I'm sure my BIOS is configured right, AHCI and stuff.

Tried to boot from the USB stick and got a kernel panic on my Phenom II 965 system.

Will post picture later. :)

EDIT: I'm a "little" tired now... It's 2:09 AM here, time to go to bed... Like the one kext tool that's name I can't remember said: Have a good day (night).

Going to take a look @ the kernel panic tomorrow. The reason why I think I should now go sleep is I accidentally turned off wrong computer. I just holded the power button down for like 10 seconds and then I was like WTF how in the hell does the screen still have picture... Then I realized it was the other computer... So good night everyone.

:thumbsup_anim::superman: Good night