Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Disabling Quartz now I can boot without -x using nVidia card (8400GS) and using libGPU... modified by Andy.

In system.log I'm getting continuously:

WindowServer[86]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fc5a341cc10) - disabling OpenGL

WindowServer[86]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: Compositor doesn't have OpenGL enabled - disabling OpenGL

If in terminal :

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel

it is ok , but programm no see GenuineIntel, becuse also "AuthenticAMD" :D

Yes a cpuid instruction returns AuthenticAMD.

But I don't think its a cpuid problem as we already tried that in the past.

• Like 3

For GeeksGPU test, all test shows graphics correctly except Plot3D justing showing a grey screen

Screen+Shot+2013-11-06+at+0.35.56.png

For Preview bug, i got the following message from console.

6/11/13 00:32:38.984 mds[39]: (Normal) Volume: volume:0x7fc12c8b7000 ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:0 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/firmwaresyncd.wzirpp

6/11/13 00:32:43.950 Preview[196]: It does not make sense to draw an image when [NSGraphicsContext currentContext] is nil.  This is a programming error. Break on void _NSWarnForDrawingImageWithNoCurrentContext() to debug.  This will be logged only once.  This may break in the future.

Screen+Shot+2013-11-06+at+0.38.46.png

Noticed this in the console after opening Photoshop,

06/11/2013 00:02:36.736 VDCAssistant[5611]: AVF error: AVDLoadAllAccelerators machine not supported

06/11/2013 00:02:36.806 VDCAssistant[5611]: AVF encoder error: fail to create accelerator instance 

Info of any use?
  • Like 1

Disabling Quartz now I can boot without -x using nVidia card (8400GS) and using libGPU... modified by Andy.

In system.log I'm getting continuously:

WindowServer[86]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fc5a341cc10) - disabling OpenGL

WindowServer[86]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: Compositor doesn't have OpenGL enabled - disabling OpenGL

Just for complete information, have to disable Quartz and enable auto login to boot without safe mode with nVidia and libGPU... from Andy.

Hey guys take a look:

I was thinking about nVidia problems and reading the old posts and discovered some interesting appointments made by Bronya. He pointed that NVKernel wasn't being loaded in 64bit only on Intel CPUs or 32bit systems than I started to look what had changed in the Geforce.kext and found somethink interesting:

https://db.tt/XseNKFyc

It seems kinda obvious, but the point is that they changed the way Geforce.kext "evaluates" the card using other method for matching (good old device/vendor ids), I'll start to do some testing with this soon so if you guys have some idea that could help I'll appreciate.

My guess is that we need some kinda of patching or mod to these drivers, not exaclty a rollback, gonna test it.

PS: I'm currently testing with 10.8 as I cannot boot with any of the 10.9 kernels released till now.

Cheers

post-1144585-13837261918005_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I tried to install 10.9, but hangs on the logo, and if the flag -v, then a black screen

(about AMD A6-A10 all forgotten - offensively). 

None of the flags will not help you. You need to delete NVDAResman.kext in System/Library/Extensions. Then you can log in to the Installer.

:)

ce sysenter/sysexit reste quand même un mystère ??? il apparait dans la machine virtuelle et pas dans terminal !!?? 

this sysenter / sysexit's still a mystery?? it appears in the virtual machine and not in terminal!?

You see in terminal !

sysctl machdep.cpu.features

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ MON SSSE3 CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES XSAVE OSXSAVE AVX1.0

SEP - it is sysenter syscall ! :)

But register other !

• Like 2

It seems kinda obvious, but the point is that they changed the way Geforce.kext "evaluates" the card using other method for matching (good old device/vendor ids), I'll start to do some testing with this soon so if you guys have some idea that could help I'll appreciate.

Geforce kext was changed long ago to hit on any Geforce detected, for AMD guys it only matters if you happen to have an NForce chipset on your board; which then you would want only your graphics id specifically listed so it doesn't get confused.

• Like 1

:)

ce sysenter/sysexit reste quand même un mystère ??? il apparait dans la machine virtuelle et pas dans terminal !!?? 

this sysenter / sysexit's still a mystery?? it appears in the virtual machine and not in terminal!?

221148Capturedcran20131106005712.png

SYSENTER works on AMD64 when running in i386 (32-bit) mode (kernel space).

That was also the old trick for getting sysenter to run.

Using interrupt 0xFC with a kernel running in 32-bit mode.

This allowed the SYSENTER to run.

• Like 2