Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

Mountain Lion AMD legacy kernel x64_86 ssse3 ssse3 emulator

• Please log in to reply
6225 replies to this topic

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
i reuploaded video ...

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

You think it is problem only mach_kernel ??? Or problem drivers???!!!

Personally, i think telling location of problem itself is the greatest challenge, because the very same kernel which gives artifacts on AMD machines will work just fine on Intel, even on older (non ssse3) CPUs, while Bulldozers (which does have ssse3) will suffer the artifacts like any other AMD CPU.

It might be the mach_kernel. It might as well be in the drivers, both nVidia and ATI. It might be even somewhere else. We know, as for now, what isn't the cause: the opemu isn't the cause, otherwise Pentium-Ds would have artifacts with the kernel. CPUIDs also aren't the cause, otherwise the CPUID patcher tool would solve the issue for good.

All the best!

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.

I did some testing earlier with the OpenCL framework. Versions ranging from 10.7.2 to 10.8.4 and most gave different results. Some had more artefacts and some rendered the system completely useless. Not sure if it helps you get to the problem but I hope it does.

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
AMDRadoenAccelerator.kext and IOAcceleratorFamily.kext - it is QE/CI !!!
Natit.kext , ATY_Init.kext, EvOEnabler.kext don't influences on it is kext AMDRadoenAccelerator.kext !!! But EvOenabler.kext use aty,bin_image !
Need patch AMDRadoenAccelerator.kext ! Who can it did ? :)

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
I found one problem .
I getting log "GFX: Not usable" . It is problem ? )

carlo_67

carlo_67

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,961 posts
Bronya, Tried The kernel for the Phenom, boot more 'faster than amd_kernel
but the result is always artifacts

still a great job
I am sure that you will find a solution

Sannti

Sannti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
For me this kernel don't work. After read from disk computer restart before booting.
My SMBios is iMac 12,1. I install OS 10.8.3 with iAtkos ML2 + Combo Update 10.8.3. With amd_kernel computer start properly.

I tried SSSE3 and SSE4.2 version.

clemj06

clemj06

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh, System building

Bronya, Tried The kernel for the Phenom, boot more 'faster than amd_kernel
but the result is always artifacts

still a great job
I am sure that you will find a solution

Hey carlo_67, I was wondering, what bootflags did you use? And did you have any extra kexts?

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Please test latest kernel_10.8.3_rc1 !
Download here !

Hi Bronzovka, I am unfortunately only now gotten to test your new kernel. I get some errors that I still have to adjust because my current setting is adjusted to Andys amd_kernel. There is, however, I noticed something positive, your kernel is running super fast!

Figure 1 shows the boot with arch = i386

Figure 2 with arch=x86_64

PS:I have tested with Mountain Lion 10.8.2

but under CPU features I do not see SSSE3, what does this mean?

Attached Files

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
spakk, you need reinstall 10.8.2 ! I see in picture , it is other version system .

+ira

+ira

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

:)

l'étau se resserre , je confirme tes pensées , nos problèmes graphiques (ATI) sont directement liés aux pilotes graphiques "nouvelle génération AMD" notamment toutes les cartes graphiques qui sont listés dans "AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext" les series HD 4xxx et antérieur qui n'y sont pas , fonctionnent correctement , je viens d'essayer ML DP1 en mode 64 bit sur l'HD 5450 512 et elle fonctionne correctement sans aucun bug , chose que je n'avais jamais essayé .
Ce qui confirme bien que toutes les cartes graphiques de HD 5xxx à HD 7xxx rencontrent exactement les mêmes problèmes .

the vice the narrows, I confirm your thoughts, graphics problems (ATI) are directly related to graphics drivers "new generation AMD" including all graphics cards that are listed in "AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext" HD 4xxx series and earlier that n 'are not working properly, I just try ML DP1 in 64-bit mode on the HD 5450 512 and it works properly without any bug, something I had never tried.

This confirms that all the graphics card HD 5xxx to HD 7xxx face exactly the same problems.

My thoughts about nVidia:

Well, maybe i'm saying just {censored}, but, if i was a kernel developer i would definitely blame this AMD feature.

The Hybrid CrossFireX is a technology allowing the IGP, or Integrated Graphics Processor, and the discrete GPU, or Graphics Processing Unit, to form a CrossFire setup to enhance the system capability to render 3D scenes, while the Hybrid CrossFire X technology is present on the 790GX and 890G chipsets, with two supplied physical PCI-E x16 slots at x8 bandwidth,[12] can form a Hybrid CrossFire X setup with two video cards and the IGP, enhancing the 3D rendering capabilities.[13]

This can possibly explain why do we had achieved only full resolution but QE/CI on 10.8 using AnV kernel.

One notable issue is that when the IGP paired with a DirectX 10.1 video card, the whole hybrid CrossFire setup will support up to DirectX 10.0 only, and the UVD in IGP will be shut down. The new 785G chipset has solved this issue however and supports DirectX 10.1.

I don't know what "DirectX 10.1 video card" means but this is an exemple of incompatibility with other cards.

In short words, my guess is that some AMD Chipsets/Processors technology is "blocking" the graphics acceleration of nVidia cards in 64bit mode.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,894 posts
Interesting theory!

ADHDMedia

ADHDMedia

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

I now did and working 10.8.2 or 10.8.3 without glitches artifacts !!!
1) Video with artifacts - no_efi_5770.rom.mp4 - because it is no_efi_5770.rom ! It is i add in aty,bin_image standard 5770.rom.hex in EvOEnabler.kext !
2)Video without artifacts - 5770.efi.mp4.zip - because with efi_5770.rom ! It is i add in aty,bin_image official 5770.efi.rom.hex in EvOEnabler.kext !!!

Hey buddy - I have a Radeon HD 5750, same series as the 5770, would it be possible for me to achieve the same result in 10.8.2/10.8.3 on my machine using this method? Can I get details from you?! Thanks man. Great work as always.

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
Please try rc2 on old and fx processors .
Download -> mach_10_8_3_rc2.zip .

No flags, only arch=x86_64 .
If need disable blacklist , flag blacklist=0.

JahRon

JahRon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Ras Tafari, Reggae, OSX86 and fanatic of Apple :D

I think someting is wrong :P

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,894 posts
Testing in a couple of hours!

All the best!

+ira

+ira

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

First impressions:

Boot without -x gives me the same problem as always. But i think i've found something interesting. Booting with -x with your latest kernels was rendering the system with some glitches, so i was tweaking with system preferences and i noticed that these glitches was going away soon as i changed the display color profile settings as you can see in these screenshots:

http://cl.ly/image/3O2u1O0c0t09
http://cl.ly/image/3K050x2P3k1D
http://cl.ly/image/2S0p3E0J0738
http://cl.ly/image/3z1p2M3b3w1d

I don't know whats going on, also in some areas the glitches still persist to show up. Hope it helps the development. :)

---------------------------------------

Also, this is Lion related, but i think this information is relevant. Today i was dealing with Photoshop and i've noticed that some documents with RGB - 8 Bits/Channel was rendering glitches in some areas but if i set the document to RGB 16 Bits/Channel the glitches turn in to gray rectangles and if i set to RGB - 32 Bits/Channel the glitches disappears. In Lion i'm using your latest sse42bit kernel. Screenshots:

http://cl.ly/image/2h2p2F1u3w2U
http://cl.ly/image/2t3T2t1F0Y3a
http://cl.ly/image/1w0d1o12031s

Edited by +ira, 18 May 2013 - 01:13 AM.

YaPaY

YaPaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:xbox one

- It's not stable I'm getting KP after 10-15 minutes
- Less Graphical Glitches but problem still continue
- Some programs doesn't work like u-n-i-b-e-as-t
- Windows Partitions doesn't mount (maybe I'm the faulty)
+ a bit faster boot

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
Yes , you should reinstall system =)

I try recompiled on real iMac and send rc3 !

Bronya

Bronya

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 904 posts
I compiled on real iMac kernel . I fix and please try on phenoms and old processors !
Attached File  mach_kernel_ml_10_8_3.zip   3.1MB   89 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, AMD, legacy kernel, x64_86, ssse3, ssse3 emulator

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy