Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

has anyone installed successfully RevoBoot bootloader on an AMD Hackintosh with Nvidia graphics card ? if so, what results were obtained?

What's the situation with ATI 7xxx glitches on 10.8.3(4) with AMD kernels? I've managed to startup, get QE\CI, but everything was messed up. 
Thing is, that in kernel database we can see a Sinetek DP1 Kernel wich says ATI glitches is gone. First of all it seems to me it's not a latest kernel made by Sinetek, and for me it doesn't work - it automagicaly restarts right after running thru kexts (-f). Maybe it needs a busratio flag? But on my FX8320 multiplier is jumping from 10 to 20 and I can't find the freq of external clock.

I've tried to made my own research. I have 10.9DP5 installed on a macbook and there I have AMD***.kexts in /S/L/E. AMDSupport.kext, AMD7000Controller.kext, etc. Notice, that 10.8.3 brings ATI7000Controller.kext, which itself contains AMD7000Controller.kext inside of it. I figured, that replacing AMD* inside of ATI* is useless and just decided to remove all ATI* kexts I could find and replace it with AMD* ones from 10.9. 
Well. Ok. 
AMD7000Controller needs AMDSupport.kext which is linked against new build of IOKit framework. It needs two updated classes. IOService and IOsomethingIForgot. I figured I'm to lazy for replacing just a binary and decided to replace the whole IOKit.framework and Kernel.framework (IOService.h is located inside Kernel.framework. Wtf?) + some of the private frameworks like GraphicsSupport.framework, etc.
AMDSupport.kext was ok after that, but Kernel.framework was not - it couldn't find symbols inside /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib. Alright, let's replace that one!
Stuck on swapon success. Can't get into single user mode too. Reinstalling the system at the moment of writing.

So, if AMD*.kext stuff is a bad idea, how can Sinetek kernel be started with FX8320? Patched kernel is the source of ATI cards glitches, so we need other kernel modules for ATI (that I was trying to achive), or a better patch :)

And where are the sources? 

EDIT:
Had a whole day to read this thread. Using Brorc3 kernel now. ATI artifacts are on their place. Where could the problem be?

How to determine where problem is located? I can't see any logs about it. 
Using clover loader brings a black screen, rotate trick doesn't work there. Should a different framebuffer help? Where is the catch? :)

Graphics kexts, either nv or ati should NEVER be mixed from different builds of osx! These "glitches" are from the changes done to the kernel to patch for amd cpu. It seems to be specifically related to the 10.8 kernel. If you found an 10.9 kernel saying the glitches are gone then hopefully it is fixed. You need to actually try with DP1 instead of trying to replace kexts from 10.9 to 10.8

• Like 2

Okay, now we are know what part of system (kernel) is bugous. Now, what about debugging? Just full trace all calls between QE/CI interfaces and GPU (with intermediate calls and stack/registers). This work is so difficult, but can actually show where begins difference in data. Just fix these differences - and, I think, glitches will gone far, far away :)

C'est tu vraiment une bonne idée de essayer a trouvé le bug graphique maintenant? 10.9 sort le 10 Septembre, 2 ou trois semaine après ca, les sources cera sortie, c'est peut-etre plus prudent a faire marche 10.9 sur AMD... :)

Is it really a good idea to try to fix the graphics bug now? 10.9 is coming out Sept 10, 2 or 3 weeks after that we will have the sources, maybe it is more important to get 10.9 working on AMD than to fix ML... :)

Это действительно хорошая идея, чтобы попытаться исправить ошибку, графики сейчас? 10,9 выходит 10 сентября, 2 или 3 недели после этого у нас будет источников, может быть, это более важно, чтобы получить 10,9 работает на AMD, чем исправлять ML ... :)

• Like 1

Could the problem be that our emulation doesn't go far enough? CPU-X on my Athlon running Bronya's latest kernel reads SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T. An i7 reads, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, AVX

Lion 10.7.5 is the same apart from the addition of SSE4.2 showing.

I don't know how or if it would help by adding new emulators for the extra flags. Just throwing an idea out there.

ADVISE!

I've been using the anv's 10.8.4 kernel but it's been freezing my pc, no kernel panics but I just can't move the mouse sometimes and the whole system stops. So I put the 10.8.2  anv's kenrnel back and everithing's ok now (I'm using OSX 10.8.4). There must be something related to the new "features" the new kernels have that makes the diffs not compatible (or less stable) to the previous kernels.

GOOODD WORK BTW!

AMD kernel development is at a standstill? :( Development in crisis? :(  we need new impulses!!, please :thumbsup_anim:

@gils83   That's the Software Renderer. Which is to say, tessellation is not working. This is all incredibly off-topic however, could all this tessellation talk be moved elsewhere?

@gils83  C'est le rendu logiciel en action. Ça veut dire que la tésellation n'est pas fonctionnelle.  C'est rendu hors-sujet, on pourrait-ti bouger ça vers un nouveau fil de discussion?

-- Sinet3k

• Like 2

I will leave the posts here, but only if you guys promise me this chat will continue somewhere else, and the next posts focus on topic. :)

All the best!

sorry theconnatic, I started this discussion, the contributions relate to our overall video cards problems but where do you move these contributions?

Edit:

may move here, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291712-gputest-geeks3d-amd/  ,Gils has created a new theme

Edited by spakk
  • Like 1

Hi...............................................................

Please do not post your questions here , please use this link here to their questions to receive a response !!!!!!!

Good news everyone!

I've been dorking with binary patching the kernel of Mavericks and managed to patch the early startup code, so that means to get the console running on AMD cpu's.

4mdBj.png

Hallo Sinetek, das sind sehr gute Nachrichten, wann denkst du einen entsprechenden lauffähigen Test  amd kernel zu erstellen?

Hi sinetek, these are very good news ! when do you think to create an appropriate ( test ) amd_Kernel / or runnable amd_Kernel ?

Edited by spakk