Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

I get Opemu: ud2 problem on an AMD Athlon X2 5200 

Mavericks 10.9 with this kernel http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3736-amd-10910911092-kernel-update-iii-with-full-sse4-support/

please help :)

please read the instructions that we discussed in Prerelease a hundred times .. see my Post #49  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294712-amd-pre-release-testing/page-3

or this here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294712-amd-pre-release-testing/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1998499

Edited by spakk

Bronya's 10.9 RC7 working perfectly for 10.9/10.9.1 on my Dell Precision 670 fitted with non-SSSE3 Paxville dual-core Xeon (SL8MA) + nVidia GeForce 9800GT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/261474-dell-precision-670-solved/?do=findComment&comment=1995525

However, after update to 10.9.2, system no longer boots and gets stuck with following error message:

Data/Stack execution not permitted: xpcd[pid xxx] at virtual address yyyyyyyyyyy, protections were read-write

try to copy from another OSX Mavericks the folder /usr/ and add the folder to your current OSX Mavericks,  possibly is only the   /usr/libexec/xpcd defective? I do not know if that will be helpful?

Edited by spakk

I had thought of that so after an update via Apple menu, I did a reinstallation of 10.9.1 followed by a Combo update and that resulted in the same issue. i then tried a brand new installation of a freshly downloaded 10.9.2 package. Once again, same issue; as such, I don't really believe it's linked to a defective file, but I'll try anyway.

it's just a guess from me, I do not know, I've googled and found nothing ^_^

Edit:

you can try to test with BSA_Kernel R8 or R9, the only statement I could find is that it's a built-in OS X component.

No joy either.... I guess I'm stuck to 10.9.1 until some new kernel is available.

when the sources are available we can build new kernels.

patience is a virtue ;)

• Like 10

If this helps - I am  happily running Mavericks on 10.9.2 using kernel dated 30th October 2013, I think it must have been one of the first ones.

I updated 10.9.0 to 10.9.2 using appstore and switched the system and sandbox kext. as descebide above

This is however on a Pentium D 3.4 Dell precision 380 with a geforce 9600 gt. QE/CI all working

I had a lot of problems with opemu errors etc - after much trial and error in fact a whole day rebooting and changing settings eg Chameleon builds and boot settings I have it working solidly. Its amazing having Mavericks working on 8 year old hardware!! Booting chamaleon with a GUID drive seemed to help

Hey Hervé,

I have managed to get that same error in two situations. The first on my myHack install flash drive being used on my real computer, and the second in a VMware Workstation environment.

In the VMware environment situation I am using Bronya's rc7 kernel (also have tried rc4-fix and BSA v.9), it installed fine and without error but booting into the os I am left at that same error.

Also I have booted into another installation that I have in VMware to replace the System, Sandbox, and Applematch.kext with those from 10.9.1 which work when I installed this on my actual computer.

And I managed to fix the myHack Install drive by reverting the System.kext to the one from 10.9.1 (along with applematch.kext and sandbox.kext but they didn't seem to matter in the case of this error) instead of using the one included with the BSA v.9 Kernel I was using

Just figured I would give my findings even if I really don't understand all that much :3

Hope it helps guys!

• Like 1

Hi,

Which kernel is it exactly and what options/flags are your using? Can you share these?

http://www.osx86.net/files/download/3631-kernel-os-x-mavericks-109-amd/

this is the only kernel I could get to work - I tried them all

I updated 10.9.0 to 10.9.2 using appstore and switched the system and sandbox kext. as descebide above

This is however on a Pentium D 3.4 Dell precision 380 with a geforce 9600 gt. QE/CI all working

here are the boot flags

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 -nossse3bit</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0400000001010600001e0101060000057fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
  • Like 1

Hello, folks!

I did some tests. System specs of my signature (the AMD machine, of course). Here, the Sandbox and System kexts rollback allows the system to boot, but it never reaches the Desktop. I can even access it from the network, so it behaves just like graphics aren't working, but of course it's more than that - even in VESA mode, without any graphics-related kext, the Desktop doesn't show up. With a broader rollback, like Carlo did, the system panics, reporting an ACPI kext error.

It's very clear we need a new kernel, at least for older Athlon and Phenom CPUs. Let's wait the sources' release, so we can step up our game. As Andy said, patience is a virtue, and there's no need to break your current installations, since all the tests needed to figure out the status of 10.9.2 for AMD CPUs are quite done. Just wait for a new kernel, unless you have extra partitions for testing, just as I and some others do.

All the best!

• Like 6

Hello, folks!

I did some tests. System specs of my signature (the AMD machine, of course). Here, the Sandbox and System kexts rollback allows the system to boot, but it never reaches the Desktop. I can even access it from the network, so it behaves just like graphics aren't working, but of course it's more than that - even in VESA mode, without any graphics-related kext, the Desktop doesn't show up. With a broader rollback, like Carlo did, the system panics, reporting an ACPI kext error.

It's very clear we need a new kernel, at least for older Athlon and Phenom CPUs. Let's wait the sources' release, so we can step up our game. As Andy said, patience is a virtue, and there's no need to break your current installations, since all the tests needed to figure out the status of 10.9.2 for AMD CPUs are quite done. Just wait for a new kernel, unless you have extra partitions for testing, just as I and some others do.

All the best!

Agreed. I'm actually working on finding another hard drive so I can help test. Replacing the System.kext and Sandbox.kext actually boots my system to the login screen, but as I said many times, it slows down after that. I'll be testing most, if not all AMD Mavs kernels in my free time. Also, when a new kernel comes out, I'll be ready to help test. :yes:  

Well done people for getting this far. Maybe some decent cpu tsc code to fix the old k8, k10 and other quirky cpus could be developed while you wait for the source code? i am not aware of a proper kernel implementation (like linux/bsd) for this yet

I cannot code this myself but i am confident that some of you might be in a position to contribute to this

thanks

some hopefully useful and interesting links

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/TSC-Timecounter-and-multi-core-SMP-td3909368.html

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/amd64/amd64/tsc.c?v=FREEBSD8

i see tsc.c dissappeared maybe in freebsd 9?

Hello friends, it has been a while. My interest in the Bitcoin protocol has grown significantly since the new year, to the point where I can no longer keep up with developments on the XNU front.

I have sympathy for this community, but today I want to be honest about my lukewarm feelings towards upcoming OS X releases.
Apple has evidently not been very welcoming of Bitcoin, not to mention other technical issues with their products, so as I stand my interest is in Arch and such other projects!

All the best,
-- Sinetek

• Like 8

ouch! what will amd users do without you! i appreciate what your saying about macos not necessarily improving, bugs, slower boot times after almost every new release (how fast was leopard!!)

alot of good people have moved on from osx and after looking at benchmarks between macos and linux i can see why

however, lets hope that your curiosity with macos will get the better of you again sometime!

all the best anyways, good to have skilled coder on board at any point in time!

good luck with bitcoin stuff!

cheers

ps. not so much can be done without sourcecode anyways! ......

• Like 3

Hello friends, it has been a while. My interest in the Bitcoin protocol has grown significantly since the new year, to the point where I can no longer keep up with developments on the XNU front.

I have sympathy for this community, but today I want to be honest about my lukewarm feelings towards upcoming OS X releases.

Apple has evidently not been very welcoming of Bitcoin, not to mention other technical issues with their products, so as I stand my interest is in Arch and such other projects!

All the best,

-- Sinetek

Good luck Sinetek.

:cry:  :bye: