My mini Guide for install 10.7.4 on Lenovo Thinkpad T61 7661-CTO

HUSABER

94 posts in this topic

Ok, I did as you said, and it gives some errors. I have attached the image below. It will not let me save unless they are fixed? because if I go to IASL, and try to click Save AML, it is grayed out, and won't let me.

post-1138121-0-99003800-1363877305_thumb.png

Ok, I did as you said, and it gives some errors. I have attached the image below. It will not let me save unless they are fixed? because if I go to IASL, and try to click Save AML, it is grayed out, and won't let me.

Try going to 8608 and removing the leading asterisk.

By the way, do you have Skype? I could help you quicker that way.

• Like 1

:D

• Like 1

What is your skype name? I got a skype, my skype name is Sebster.101 Thanks :)

Husaber,

OK... I gave up on the 10.6.3 steps I was trying to get to work. I have done everything on that other page...and must have built the USB drive now 4 or 5 times....takes about 2 hours on my old QUICKSILVER to make the USB from my retail DVD. I am going to give your 10.7.4 steps a whirl, but I have some questions - I understand your english is not superb...and willing to work with you if you are patient with me....I am a Windows guru - and hardly touch my Quicksilver because it has 10.5 and is slooooooow as molassas in January. If I may, I'd like your help - and with your help, maybe I can assist in writing the best installation guide possible.

You make mention that the INTEL Wireless 4965ABGN card does not work...any ideas why?

So here I go -- I am gonna paste your info here...then ask my questions in PURPLE.

Do I have to do this on an x86 MAC or can I use my Quicksilver with 10.5 and the 768Mhz PPC CPU?

2) CREATION OF THE USB STICK (MIN 8GB!!!):

Download InstallESDLion10.7.4.I have used a .torrent from iModZone.Be sure to find a Mac OSXInstallESD- not a modified one (Hazard, iATKOS). The image size is 6GB uncompressed.

OK - I found this, and the download was about 3.9GB (from three locations) I take it this is the compressed size. It appears to open on my 10.5 PPC machine.

- Using anothe MAC insert the USB stick, format it and open hidden files,next time open Mac OSXInstallESD and inside you see BaseSystem.dmg.Now restore the BaseSystem.dmg in to USB flashdrive.

I am not sure what you mean by the OPEN HIDDEN FILES. I format the drive - and maybe I am looking in the wrong place / but there is nothing there...the drive is empty. Did I forget to turn something on? What filesystem should I format it with?

I think I understand the RESTORE BaseSystem.dmg to the flash drive -- using DISK UTILITY I am assuming.

After restore finish needed to copy Folder Pakages from Mac OSXInstallESD inside USB flash drive in directory System/Instalacion(Delete Alias)

By this I assume you mean there is an 'Alias' folder that I should delete, and that I need to copy the PACKAGES folder to the flash drive...does it need to be in a specific location (path)?

If you are ready next step is:copy from Mac OSXInstallESD these 4 files-mach_kernel,kernelcashe,bootefi,BaseSystem.chunklist and copy him to USB flash drive.

To which path (folder) should I put these four files?

Now we need to copy Extra folder inside USB flash drive(Extra folder is located below ready for use)

To which path (folder) should I put the EXTRAS folder?

Next step is a final:installing Bootloader(i use for my four machine only one tested for me version)Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg(Bootloader is located bellow)Open installer and install it in to USB flash drive

I am sure this should be self-explanatory...but I through that about the MyHack1.1 process from the 10.6.3 forum post as well. I could not get that one to work either :wallbash: . Can you elaborate on this step to ensure that I get the bootloader right...I think this is the biggest problem I have with the 10.6.3 steps is the bootloader.

- NOW YOU ARE READY FOR THE INSTALLATION!!!!!!

P.S.:

If you want to use MBR table on your hackintosch (for multiboot with windows xp or other things) instead of GUID (that create an EFI hidden partition), please consider to apply the patch OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.7.4)Recommended:install first windows and after OSX for dual boot,because windows installation delete Chameleon and need to instal again boot loader!

This is something that I would defiately like to have....Dual Boot WIN7 and OSX. Any recommendations for a 160GB HDD for the partitioning scheme? I am nor quite sure I understand the MBR vs the GUID thing either...as I know I have used GPARTED before and it will see those different partitions...but, any help here would be great.

I am looking forward to this being a learning experience that I can document and get to you in a 'no way your gonna fail' document that you can put out here for all the world to use. Granted I have the IIBM 7661-LU9, not the CTO, but I would think that they are not that different. I have the GMA 3100 video.

Well dag-nabbit....my colors went away. :-(

If you like, bearhntr28, I could assist you through and help you get your Flash Drive ready for an OS X installation. If you have skype, add me (sebster.101) and you can message me your questions as you get your flashdrive ready. I have completed his guide and have gotten a working OS X installation off of his guide, so I'd be happy to help you get your flashdrive working. Just add me or tell me your Skype ID and we can get started if you like :)

• Like 1

Sebster,

I appreciate the help...but I do not have SKYPE.

I have tried the other one on this site for putting 10.6.7 onto a T61( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278900-miniguide-sl-1067-on-ibm-lenovo-t61-vga-x3100-type-6466-64g/ )--all without a single instance of getting the USB drive to boot. I get a black screen with flashing cursor.

I would really prefer to have 10.6 than 10.7 - but if 10.7 works...then so be it.

Thanks,

*BH*

Husaber,

OK... I gave up on the 10.6.3 steps I was trying to get to work. I have done everything on that other page...and must have built the USB drive now 4 or 5 times....takes about 2 hours on my old QUICKSILVER to make the USB from my retail DVD. I am going to give your 10.7.4 steps a whirl, but I have some questions - I understand your english is not superb...and willing to work with you if you are patient with me....I am a Windows guru - and hardly touch my Quicksilver because it has 10.5 and is slooooooow as molassas in January. If I may, I'd like your help - and with your help, maybe I can assist in writing the best installation guide possible.

You make mention that the INTEL Wireless 4965ABGN card does not work...any ideas why?

So here I go -- I am gonna paste your info here...then ask my questions in PURPLE.

Do I have to do this on an x86 MAC or can I use my Quicksilver with 10.5 and the 768Mhz PPC CPU?

2) CREATION OF THE USB STICK (MIN 8GB!!!):

Download InstallESDLion10.7.4.I have used a .torrent from iModZone.Be sure to find a Mac OSXInstallESD- not a modified one (Hazard, iATKOS). The image size is 6GB uncompressed.

OK - I found this, and the download was about 3.9GB (from three locations) I take it this is the compressed size. It appears to open on my 10.5 PPC machine.

- Using anothe MAC insert the USB stick, format it and open hidden files,next time open Mac OSXInstallESD and inside you see BaseSystem.dmg.Now restore the BaseSystem.dmg in to USB flashdrive.

I am not sure what you mean by the OPEN HIDDEN FILES. I format the drive - and maybe I am looking in the wrong place / but there is nothing there...the drive is empty. Did I forget to turn something on? What filesystem should I format it with?

I think I understand the RESTORE BaseSystem.dmg to the flash drive -- using DISK UTILITY I am assuming.

After restore finish needed to copy Folder Pakages from Mac OSXInstallESD inside USB flash drive in directory System/Instalacion(Delete Alias)

By this I assume you mean there is an 'Alias' folder that I should delete, and that I need to copy the PACKAGES folder to the flash drive...does it need to be in a specific location (path)?

If you are ready next step is:copy from Mac OSXInstallESD these 4 files-mach_kernel,kernelcashe,bootefi,BaseSystem.chunklist and copy him to USB flash drive.

To which path (folder) should I put these four files?

Now we need to copy Extra folder inside USB flash drive(Extra folder is located below ready for use)

To which path (folder) should I put the EXTRAS folder?

Next step is a final:installing Bootloader(i use for my four machine only one tested for me version)Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg(Bootloader is located bellow)Open installer and install it in to USB flash drive

I am sure this should be self-explanatory...but I through that about the MyHack1.1 process from the 10.6.3 forum post as well. I could not get that one to work either :wallbash: . Can you elaborate on this step to ensure that I get the bootloader right...I think this is the biggest problem I have with the 10.6.3 steps is the bootloader.

- NOW YOU ARE READY FOR THE INSTALLATION!!!!!!

P.S.:

If you want to use MBR table on your hackintosch (for multiboot with windows xp or other things) instead of GUID (that create an EFI hidden partition), please consider to apply the patch OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.7.4)Recommended:install first windows and after OSX for dual boot,because windows installation delete Chameleon and need to instal again boot loader!

This is something that I would defiately like to have....Dual Boot WIN7 and OSX. Any recommendations for a 160GB HDD for the partitioning scheme? I am nor quite sure I understand the MBR vs the GUID thing either...as I know I have used GPARTED before and it will see those different partitions...but, any help here would be great.

I am looking forward to this being a learning experience that I can document and get to you in a 'no way your gonna fail' document that you can put out here for all the world to use. Granted I have the IIBM 7661-LU9, not the CTO, but I would think that they are not that different. I have the GMA 3100 video.

Well dag-nabbit....my colors went away. :-(

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=5d858c4c2b6f580cb136549219e7ffca

Husaber,

Thank you for your reply...but I had looked out there already. I am going to attempt your steps this weekend with 10.7.4 on my T61. I will see how I fare.

I do have a question.... is ONLY the BCM4311 (Broadcom WiFi card supported under OSX)? That is a Wireless G card - and I need Wireless N for my home...I have turned off Wireless G for my home network, as everything in my home is Wireless N.

Do you know of a BROADCOM adapter which may work which does support Wireless N?

Do you happen to know why the new (purchased from eBay Lenovo 3000 V200 Wireless WiFi Card 42T0865 -- INTEL 4965AGN ) card does not work?

Looking forward to diving into your procedure this weekend to see if I can have a new hackintosh for Easter.

*BH*

Lenovo 3000 V200 Wireless WiFi Card 42T0865 -- INTEL 4965AGN-Not pay(not work)

see form Atheros card(like AR928X)work wery well on notebook

Or another one(is Perfectly to you):

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Apple+MacBook+A1181+Airport+Wifi+Wireless+Card+603+9432+A+Tested+&_itemId=130752174103

Husaber,

Thank you for that. Those MAC wireless cards will work with my UNLOCKED BIOS?

What about this one?

0NJ449 NJ449 BROADCOM WIRELESS N CARD MINI-PCI-E BCM94321MC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-0NJ449-NJ449-BROADCOM-WIRELESS-N-CARD-MINI-PCI-E-BCM94321MC-/350681233300?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item51a63af794

Do you think it would be better to make my USB drive on one of the MACs here in the office that are already running LION or MOUNTAIN LION rather than using my VERY SLOW 10.5 machine?

Thanks again,

*BH*

Bearhntr28, I'd have to ask Husaber about the Dell card working in the Thinkpad, but along with Husaber, I highly recommend you just get one of these official Macbook cards, which Husaber has posted a link to http://www.ebay.ca/s...8625753&afsrc=1

They work perfect out of the box, just insert it into your laptop (make sure you have patched bios) and it will just work! No kexts needed! Otherwise, you might need kexts for the Dell card, and, I don't even know if there are kexts for it. I think the Macbook cards are the way to go. I ordered one and it works magnificently!

-sebster101

P.S. I certainly do not recommend using a Power PC computer to create the flashdrive. The ones running Lion or Mountain Lion are probably the best for making the flashdrive.

Husaber,

Thank you for that. Those MAC wireless cards will work with my UNLOCKED BIOS?

What about this one?

0NJ449 NJ449 BROADCOM WIRELESS N CARD MINI-PCI-E BCM94321MC

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a63af794

Do you think it would be better to make my USB drive on one of the MACs here in the office that are already running LION or MOUNTAIN LION rather than using my VERY SLOW 10.5 machine?

Thanks again,

*BH*

Forget Mountain Lion for your Thinkpad :wink2:

Husaber,

I was not going to put ML on the TP61.... I meant using one of the ones we have in the office to build the USB flash drive. ;-)

I do not really even want LION on the TP61 -- would rather have SNOW LEOPARD, but I could not get my flash drive build with that OS to even boot in the T61...so I am gonna try your instructions.

I ordered one of those APPLE Wireless cards you recommended - I guess I will be waiting on my build - it will not be here until 4 APR 2013.

*BH*

snow leopard is easy to create on usb stik,method is the same like my post

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail is perfectly :wink2:

but maybe is realy good for you to use Skype.... :thumbsup_anim:

Husaber and Sebster,

I am now on one of the office MAC MINI machines. I have tried following the steps again...... I am not 100% MAC illiterate, but I do not get it:

1) You say format the USB drive...that I can do I with DISK UTILITY. I created 1 partition GUID - MAC Extended OS (journaled). Then you say VIEW HIDDEN FILES. I just formatted it. There is nothing to view (is there?)

2) Next you say to open the LION Install ESD and find the .dmg for BASE INSTALL (something like that. I do not see anything like that in there. In the PACKAGES folder...there is something with that name...but it is a .pkg file.

So I did a RESTORE or the InstallESD.DMG to the jump drive...is that right?

I will wait for your reply.

*BH(

p.s. SKyPE is not an option here at the office....it is blocked at the corporate firewall.

Bearhntr28, to see hidden files run this command first in terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

After you type that into terminal type this in

killall Finder

Make sure the F in Finder is capitalized when you type the command into terminal

This will relaunch all instances of the Finder, and therefore, allow you to see hidden files. The basesystem.dmg will appear after you enable hidden files by doing what I told you above

Good Luck :)

-sebster

Just so you know, you must restore BaseSystem.dmg to your flashdrive

To do this just open BaseSystem.dmg on the mac and wait for it to show up on the desktop.

Then open Disk Utility (BasySystem.dmg should show up on the left side) and click on your flashdrive on the left side of the screen, click Restore, and drag "BasySystem.dmg" from left side to Source, and then for Destination, if not already there, drag your flash drive from the left hand side to Destination, and then hit Restore.

• Like 1

Husaber and Sebster,

I am now on one of the office MAC MINI machines. I have tried following the steps again...... I am not 100% MAC illiterate, but I do not get it:

1) You say format the USB drive...that I can do I with DISK UTILITY. I created 1 partition GUID - MAC Extended OS (journaled). Then you say VIEW HIDDEN FILES. I just formatted it. There is nothing to view (is there?)

2) Next you say to open the LION Install ESD and find the .dmg for BASE INSTALL (something like that. I do not see anything like that in there. In the PACKAGES folder...there is something with that name...but it is a .pkg file.

So I did a RESTORE or the InstallESD.DMG to the jump drive...is that right?

I will wait for your reply.

*BH(

p.s. SKyPE is not an option here at the office....it is blocked at the corporate firewall.

Unblock this Firewall :thumbsup_anim:System Preferences/Security&Privacy/Firewall=Off :hysterical:

Bearhntr28, is teamviewer blocked on your corporate network also? If you install Teamviewer I can remotely create the flash drive for you from the comfort on my computer. If not, please download Teamviewer and life could be so much easier for both of us.

• Like 1

Husaber and Sebster,

Well I am making progress after Sebster's step-by-step method for UNHIDING those things (which is not in the first posting of the guide)....not a problem though - I learn by doing. I got a bootable flash drive with the XENOMORPH heads from ALIEN (KEWL BY THE WAY).

I put it into my T61 after I GHOSTED my HDD with Windows 7 (so I can put it back as needed)...and with my old APPLE KB and MOU attached to the laptop...booted from the flash drive. Got the ALIENS, then the grey APPLE screen...I thought I was good...then looked like I was going to get the disk manager to format the HDD....and BANG Message "OSX CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THIS SYSTEM" message. I took a picture if you wanna see it.

Tried 4 times - same result each time (last time was restore BIOS defaults, and make sure AHCI was enabled...cannot get past that screen.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

*BH*

Bearhntr28,

If you look back at the beginning of this forum, someone had the same problem, OS X cannot be installed. This is what you must do.

1. Download and Install this to your flash drive using a Macintosh Computer OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.7.4).zip

2. Go to System/Library/CoreServices and delete the file PlatformSupport.plist

3. Put flash drive into Thinkpad or desired laptop and Install OS X.

Hint: It's good advice to look back into the forum, for lots of other people had the same problems as you and they were mostly all solved in this forum topic. So next time if you have an issue, read the entire forum topic before posting and your issue would most likely be solved. If not, feel free to post your problem :wink2:

• Like 1

Sebster,

Thanks for the info. I know I had seen it somewhere...was not sure where.

I will have to do this on the computer at the office. My old MAC at the house is running 10.5, and is a PowerPC CPU...the attachement will not run on it...gives an error.

Will let you know,

*BH*

Alright, well, feel free to contact me if you encounter a problem, error, or need help bearhntr28, simply by posting what your problem is on this guide. I'll be sure to answer it as soon as possible. If I don't know I'll be sure to tell Husaber and ask him. Anyway, let us know your final result with your hackintosh, I'd be curious to know what you come up with.

-sebster101