Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

mikessilo:

I had the same problem. I used the natit and it fixed it. Then I switched to an Nvidia 7300GT because the QE and CI weren't supported on the 1300.

All:

Finally got around to upgrading to 10.4.10. All I have to say is sweet! System profiler actually recognizes my comp as a proper mac now, and my true number of processors (1 proc with 2 cores vs 2 proc with single cores). No more FSB settings either.

To upgrade I did the following:

- From a working 10.4.8 install, I upgraded to 10.4.10 using the Software Update technique.

- After I verified a working 10.4.10, I used PascalW's 10.4.10 delta updater to update the kernel.

It seems to be getting easier and easier to keep these hackintoshes up and running!

;)

Updates and sound...

I updated all the programs I had following the 10.4.10 upgrade. It seems that the audio update will knock out the sound drivers from the AppleHDA patcher. Reran the patcher and rebooted. Sound works fine again. Quicktime 7.2 also works with sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted everyone to know... Taruga (with the help of vipersporthp) has a new 9227 driver. On my machine, the following ports work: rear analog audio out (front 2 channels only), rear mic in, rear TOSLINK (2-channel sound only), front analog audio out (headphones). kexts can be found in the first post of http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

I installed "uphuck 10.4.9 Intel x86 install dvd v1.4i r3" on my Dell Dimension 9200 (aka XPS 410).. It only booted after I selected "Raid On" in BiOS.. Sound works, but it doesn't detect my microphone. NIC doesn't work, but I successfully used an ASUS WL-176G wireless adapter and a Realtek 8193 based NIC. Because I have two other network cards for my PC, I disabled the integrated NIC in BIOS and now every time I change some setting in BIOS the PC shuts down then starts back on, instead of just restarting. Does this only happen to me?

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys have broadcom ethernet card I suggest this site as it has some drivers that may be compatible : http://www.small-tree.com/Articles.asp?ID=123

The problem with my xps 410 is that Im using Kalyway osx 4.10.10 I noticed I had to install the SATA support drivers from the cd to get passed the mac with the no smoking sign at bootup. Otherwise the system will see that you have ur hard drive on RAID or RAID/ATA and it wont boot to it. Doing a reinstall on this to see if the SATA included drivers work. I think last time they worked...before I dumped OSX because I did not try the broadcom ethernet drivers from that site yet.

Hi. PLEASE can someone help me... I'm pulling my hair out here...!!!!!!!!! I have a Dell Dimension 9200 and i'm trying to install Uphuck OSX 10.4.9 v.1.4.i r2 on it (with r3 on the way)... I'm getting to the BOOT VOLUME NOT FOUND bit and can't get any further...

I've tried everything that I can find posted in this thread: RAID vs AUTO DETECT, removing all usb devices, removing any extra pci cards and I can't seem to get to the disk utility.

I'm about to release some tracks, but need my own Logic 8 machine to finish a couple of them... I'm pretty tight for cash and thought that I could go down the PC/Cubase route, only to find that Vista is a pain in the ass for music at the moment...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can someone help... I am also willing to test anything that you guys need testing, if that helps at all...

My spec:

Dell Dimension 9200:

Intel Q6600 Quad @ 2.4

4GB Ram Ghz

Dual 320GB Hard Drives, running on a Stripped RAID

GeForce 8600 GTS Graphics Card

Standard Dell DVD and DVD writer combination (connected via SATA II)

Dell Flash Memory Media bay (connected via usb?)

My spec:

Dell Dimension 9200:

Intel Q6600 Quad @ 2.4

4GB Ram Ghz

Dual 320GB Hard Drives, running on a Stripped RAID

GeForce 8600 GTS Graphics Card

Standard Dell DVD and DVD writer combination (connected via SATA II)

Dell Flash Memory Media bay (connected via usb?)

Did your Dell Dem 9200 come stock with a quad core CPU ?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, has anyone managed to install Leo?

I tried the flat-image method already, it doesn't work.

Gives the still waiting for root device error.

Anyone know an image that actually works (Leo)?

We need experimenters!

I also tried 9a527, didn't work either. I don't know the error, but the 9a527 was kalyway.

And does mac.nub Tiger work? Which Tiger works without taking out the hard drive? ;)

i have with brazilmac's scripts, sum1 said you were going to post a guide mr. joe, i installed by restoring patched image to partition and then post patching it. happened by accident, oh and once installed you'll get blank screen and a - , just make your partition bootable then.

hey guys,

i haven't posted in ages b/c when i figured that the Dimension 9200/XPS 410 osx86 effort was stalled, i decided it was time to build my hackintosh form scratch -- which i did back in May, just in time fro uphuck 1.3.

well now my homebrew HackPro is running Leo very well and i figured i'd come and see what was going on with the XPS 410 Extravaganza.

i used the brazilmac iso to get Leo up and running on the Hackpro. it was pretty str8-forward and everything worked "out of the box"

does the BrazilMac ISO work with the XPS 410? my Dimension 9200 is my work PC so i really shouldn't install osx86 on it, but i couldn't resist trying osx86 out a few months ago when i got it -- i was practically begging me for it.

little did i know it would be such a pain to get it to work.

btw here is a screenshot of Leo on my HackPro running Colloquy with /sysinfo so u can so you can see some basic specs.

everything runs super smooth except for About This Mac, which seems to crash Finder -- otherwise, you would see that in my screenshot as well.

CMM.

screen_2.tiff

hey folks. Sorry if this effort appears to be stalled but once I got my system working properly under 10.4.9 (video, sound, sata, pretty mcuh everything but built on LAN) I didn't really need to tinker with it anymore. It is working great and I use it several hours a day to play World of Warcraft plus other general computer stuff. If it's not broke don't fix it :unsure:

Now once i dive into Leopard it will be an entirely different story.

Sticman, on Leopard as with the 10.4.x releases you will need a patcher for the sigmatel 9227 audio. I'm not sure if the older patcher will work with letopard (the last i used was 1.1.6 i think, it worked splendidly.) You can find links to all the pathces I used to make mine work in the very first post of this thread. Keep in mind with most modern install discs you might only have to patch the sound to have a complete working system minus LAN. I doubt LAN will ever work. If you find any further info about the sound patcher please post it here.

bigdaddyrob2g, this is very promising sounding. I have the disc downloaded and I'll try it tonight, The new 2.3.0 patch is out for wow today so I'll have some down time to play around with leopard. I am kind of wanting to hold off for the new EFI enabled install discs that are on the horizon.

sound worx with hda patcher as slave-zero mentioned. the best install so far has been the xXx 10.4.10 disc for me. ToH dvd does not work for me but another xps410 owner it boots fine same mobo. Brazilmacs works for me as long as i switch outa few kexts i actually think its just one but i did all to be sure. Lan you know i havent tried the stock one i gave up hope on it as this one worx outta the box.

Hey Guys Great News PC_EFI V5 WORKS!!!!!!! I installed pc_efi and dsmos.kext and the networkfamily kext from netkas rebooted then installed 10.5.1 update right from the Software update date. No HACKING!!!! This Is A Dream Come true. It actually boots faster with the 10.5.1 Update and vanilla kernel included with the update.

Here Are Some Screen Shots

the EFI patch is also working in my Dimension 9200 with Q6700!

I'm now on Leo 10.5.1 using native kernel

has anyone been able to use the onboard LAN? which Gbit PCI card work under Leopard?

I got the ToH install DVD but I can't seem to get rid of the "Still waiting for root device" error. Yes I have my SATA controller set to Autodetect. Those of you who managed to install Leo, please tell me: your bios version, your HDD/Optical drives configuration (what ports did you use on the motherboard?) and what else I could change to get rid of that nasty looking prompt.

Uphuck 10.4.9 worked for me. XxX 10.4.10 didn't. And now Leo isn't working either.

My Hardware configuration is:

Intel C2D E6600

2 Gigs of RAM

3xSATA drives connected to ports SATA0-SATA2. I tried with just one HDD plugged in and it doesn't work.

2xOptical Drives connected to ports SATA4-SATA5

Nvidia 7900GS

Realtek 8139

Thanks for your help ;)

just tried and I have audio working now!

great community :-)

hey, I've just noticed that my XPS 410 does not power off properly. Basically, when I select shut down, I have the green power button in the front flashing like standby

is there any way to shut down properly in Leo?

thanks

hpbrown, Try Using HDA patcher 16. 17 Didnt Work For Me Either But 16 works great.

i have a dell 9200 too and unable to install it due the waiting for root device errors.

do in need to disable the raid 0 setup i have?

does a x-fi card work in leopard? or just remove that and go internal?

its the TOH release good to install?

I'm using the boot menu in the Bios to select my Win XP HDD

any luck with the power off?

I can't figure out how to dual boot xp and leopard they each have a 500 gig drive to them Selfs and I have of Efi v5.1 chain0 isnt working. Maybe i did it wrong. I would love any help i can get. Thanks in advance.

Tried the ToH leopard last night. How nice to have an install go so smoothly!

I installed the PC EFI afterwards but I don't think I did it right as it totally hoses when trying to boot. I'm going to reinstall and try again.

I did not have a problem with it shutting down completely. The onboard NIC did not appear to work and neither did the PCI NIC I had in either! I had to find my old IONEtworking kext file and apply it in order to get onto the net. I have an Intel GB NIC. And my CPU was showing up as Core 2 Solo, when I know it's a Duo. What about you guys?

From some of the replies it sounds like you have your RAID set on or auto. When I first tried in 10.4.8 it would not work with that. If you are having problems turn it off. This also allows me to switch what HD to boot from in the BIOS.

Hopefully I can get this thing done today.

Thanks,

Drew