Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Quick notes:

Quicktime 7.1.6 will not play sound. Keep 7.1.5, or reinstall it if you have upgraded.

FSB runs way to fast on mifki. Set to 266 or 267 -

*This fixes sync issues with Skype dropping calls after 35 secs

Koolkal will not maintain ICH8 bootfix - Uphuck will not install either. Wasn't able to test the Bikerdude integrated DVD.

Oh... eSata drivers failed. I'm on internal Sata II.

More later... :pirate2:

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.

I'm having some issues with my XPS410 getting it to see the Hard Drive.

I've tried everything in this thread so far and nothings working.

I went out and bought a new external DVD burner and it boots to the install just fine.

Once in the install however it will not see my HD.

I've tried it with RAID on and with the RAID set to the ATA/Autodetect mode.

I've tried it on every port on the motherboard.

Right now it does not have a partition on it at all. It's completely wiped clear of everything.

I've tried both the AMD/Intel SSE2/3 DVD & the Intel Only SSE2/3 DVD, with the same response.

This is only my second attempt at a Hackintosh as my laptop worked perfectly, but the wife needs it for school so I can't have it on there for now.

Any ideas....anything that could either just fix the issue or perhaps a detailed step by step as I'm completely stupid when it comes to this OSX86 project.

hi All,

It is great to see people having a go at getting osx86 running on this beast, I think it will kick ass once all the problems are ironed out.

Firstly, this is how far I have got with it:

* can't install from inbuilt SATA dvdrom drive, and cant get a USB adapter to work on it either.

* HAVE installed uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 onto a SATA drive from another working system, and got the drive to boot on the Dell 9200 by editing the ich8-R AppleVIAATA.kext with the correct device ID (0x28228086 instead of 0x28218086)

issues:

* No ethernet

* Bugged graphics, going to try latest Natit later today (the system has a Nvidia geForce 7900GS)

* SLOW disk access, should I be using ICH8 or ICH8-R ????

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found the best installer disc so far.

*full SATA support for installing thru booting

*No Audio as of yet. I am looking in to this right now.

EDIT: Audio works via AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and STAC9227_83847618.txt, I had to use the 1.16 version to get any worky worky. I attached them for your pleasure.

*LAN still does not work. I dont think it ever will.

*Nvidia video works perfectly. 7300le and 7900gs, both PCI-e 16x

I am tweaking stuff and setting up my system right now.

There WILL BE a guide forthcoming.

hdapatcher_dump.zip

Oh Snap!

I forgot to tell you folks which installer i am using.

Is the uphuk 1.4i one. Its really freaking small and should be fast to download. No issues on it yet. i am working on a guide based on this disc. or maybe a future version if it comes out soon. at this point it's based on 10.4.9. I haven't updated my xps10 to 10.4.10 yet.

Still no LAN or PCI wireless for me, though.

slave:

What is the new installer name? I'd like to start downloading. Is it 10.4.9 or 10.4.10?

:yoji:

I tried to install uphuck's 1.4i dvd and it didn't recognize it, will I have to install it from an external dvd drive? I don't have one though... :D

I think I found the best installer disc so far. *full SATA support for installing thru booting*No Audio as of yet. I am looking in to this right now.EDIT: Audio works via AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and STAC9227_83847618.txt, I had to use the 1.16 version to get any worky worky. I attached them for your pleasure.*LAN still does not work. I dont think it ever will.*Nvidia video works perfectly. 7300le and 7900gs, both PCI-e 16xI am tweaking stuff and setting up my system right now. There WILL BE a guide forthcoming.
How do I get full sata support, I notice that the disk acess is a little slow...

Woot, I finally joined the hackintosh club!

My config:

• Dimension 9200 | nVidia GeForce 7300 LE | Linksys LNE100TX v5.1
  • Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only
    • Direct boot on internal DVD (only worked in one of my DVD drives for some reason)
    • RAID turned to "Auto" in BIOS (and not "On")
    • JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update
    • Semthex kernel
    • INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

[*] JaS 10.4.9 Combo Update Intel SSE3 (installed later on)

[*] Tulip 1.2

[*] AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and STAC9227_83847618.txt

[*] Natit_edited.kext.zip for a corrected dual monitor set up

For the Sigmetel 9227 sound, has anyone tried to use it with SPDIF? The patcher works fine with 6 channel analog out, but I can't get anything on the optical SPDIF.

Slave, did your mic input work after this update?

In fact, does anyone have a XPS 410 and have the mic inputs working? it's the ONLY thing that isn't working on my entire box. I'm sticking with 10.8 until Leopard probably.

Oh Snap!

I forgot to tell you folks which installer i am using.

Is the uphuk 1.4i one. Its really freaking small and should be fast to download. No issues on it yet. i am working on a guide based on this disc. or maybe a future version if it comes out soon. at this point it's based on 10.4.9. I haven't updated my xps10 to 10.4.10 yet.

Still no LAN or PCI wireless for me, though.

Hey,

glad i found this thread. i'm typing this on my fully working Dell xps410 with 10.4.9 on it :)

So far everything works great. my question is this, what is the correct way of updating my install to 10.4.10? is there a step by step guide as to what to select in the installer, which installer to use?

I didn't do the update right after installing it and afraid of running one and breaking my working system :D I fully switched from windows XP to OSX and so far like it. I got my working copy of XP into fusion and run both side by side while i'm still hunting for OSX equivalent applications that I had on windows so I can completely switch over.

thanks

Alex

glad i found this thread. i'm typing this on my fully working Dell xps410 with 10.4.9 on it :)

Which method did you use to update to 10.4.9; Loki updater or the Apple Update hack?

All:

I went and installed Connect360 recently to stream to my Xbox 360, but it seems that it is not working correctly. I only get a second of audio before the sound cuts out. Pictures also take forever to load, if at all. Has anyone encountered this yet?

I'd like to do some reference tests to see if it's Connect360, iTunes, the Xbox, or a network problem, but I need a reference. :wacko:

i used uphuck 10.4.9 1.4iR2 release to install my system. i had to change raid settings from RAID on to RAID Autodetect and everything worked the first time.

I also tried R3 release and that didn't work for me.

Alex

I just tried uphuck 1.4i r3 and it works fine. Audio untested. Network prolly doesn't work. Too bad I don't have a compatible graphics card yet (came w/ 8300gs, which doesn't even do 2d right, doesn't refresh windows).

This is a new Dimension 9200 w/ Q6600 quad in it.

Make sure you select the sata drivers. I also select speedstep. I installed on a partition on the main drive from default sata dvdrw drive.

10.4.9 update there is jas intel only and loki as well both work fine except the loki kernel will coz timer to be really fast so recommend not installing that. upgrading to 10.4.10 is just as simple you can install straight from 10.4.8.

i actually figured out how to do upgrade. i used koolkal 10.4.10 update file and selected only the 10.4.10 update and new kernel. after that i copied back my saved IOATAfamily.kext and rebooted. after that ran all OSX updates and now everything is good :)

Alex

10.4.9 update there is jas intel only and loki as well both work fine except the loki kernel will coz timer to be really fast so recommend not installing that. upgrading to 10.4.10 is just as simple you can install straight from 10.4.8.

xplizid:

How do I go about upgrading to 10.4.10 from 10.4.8? What about the kernel?

Thanks!

i'm not sure which one i used but it seemed to work fine, i installed photoshop on it and so far hadnt had any problems with it.

where does one obtain semthex? i couldn't find it thats why used koolkal

alex

koolkal kernel id be careful of at least the one i used in May or so causes problems with photoshop not being able to open files oddly enough.