Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Hey, just tried reinstalling with 10.4.8 Combo update, Mifki, ATI X1X00 AGP and PCI-E, ATI ATA kext (though I've not got that), 10.4.4 login window fix, that's about it I think...get blue screen after boot screen, no cursor, machine does not progress further than this...I tried disabling multi-core in BIOS just in case, but didn't change a thing (also disabled virtualisation). I really think it's the graphics kext...Anyone have any idea of how I can integrate a kext that works with ATI X1300 Pro into the installation DVD? Luckily I still have the ISO which I downloaded from Demonoid (thanks CruOpium)...Or, if I could force OSX to use a generic kext (like the one used on the installation DVD) I could at least boot into OSX and use the terminal (once I've learned how to use it lol) or try NATIT or something with an installer to see if that works...G'night yall, off to bed

I reccomend not installing things that you do not need, like the ATI AGP and the ATI ATA. Things like this could be meesing you up. I would also try it without the 10.4.4 login fix.

Also, include the ICH8 support and GMA950 (not sure tif the gma950 is needed, but it didn't hurt).

Try it w/out the ATI X1X000 patch, I'm not sure, but it may boot up after the install with the basic graphics support you are talking about and then you can install Natit or something else.

To be honest i have yet to make a backup of my system so i cant help ya there i should do that sumtime, just too lazy i have all the files i need backed up on my external for now. jas has a 10.4.9 release out now? ill have to give it a shot. i however am using the one from Loki.

they are both on demonoid. just search loki or jas. i recieved a kernel panic with the jas update last nite. i will continue using to see if any further issues arise. nor sure why but it says my processor is 1.6mhz intel core 2 duo it mentions the conroe 6400 correctly but its 2.13 mhz, thats on lokis havent checked on what it mentions on jas.

something i noticed since 10.4.9 kernel within loki updater is the clock is fast, for example over an hours time it added bout 25 minutes. any1 else having this issue? and processor shows up at 1.6 and slower benchmark setting my fsb should fix that hopefully. Okay i just got the most recent kernel off irc and clock and processor show up correctly although the previous kernel was a little snappier on minimizing.

Updating the kernel didnt work for me but changing the fsb setting to 266 worked.

i'm a little confused regarding how to manually set the FSB in the semthex / mifki kernel. according to this post using semthex kernel you can use fsb=266, but there is also "-z, -y, or -g"

have any of u used this convention? if so, what would be the convention for 266? can this FSB=266 string be attded to the com.apple.boot.plist

please also advise if upgarding to 1049 upgrades the kernel to semthex from mifki cause i was a little confused about that.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.

Hey, can anyone please repackage an OSX86 installation (CruOpium's version with built-in support for ICH8R SATA) and add video drivers like NATIT and various other ones please? That way people with ATI X1300 Pro (like me) and others who can't boot into OSX might be able to finally get a version that works 'out of the box'...Please....post it on Demonoid if anyone is gonna do that :censored2: and let us know on here...I'll love you if you do!

i'm a little confused regarding how to manually set the FSB in the semthex / mifki kernel. according to this post using semthex kernel you can use fsb=266, but there is also "-z, -y, or -g"

have any of u used this convention? if so, what would be the convention for 266? can this FSB=266 string be attded to the com.apple.boot.plist

please also advise if upgarding to 1049 upgrades the kernel to semthex from mifki cause i was a little confused about that.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.

Hey CMM,

I just updated kernel flag in com.apple.boot.plist as below. Im using mifki kernel/10.4.9. Thats all i had to do. I didnt trt any of the boot options.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>fsb=266</string>

-Steve.

doubt any1 is gunna take the time to incorporate anything more into the the install disc considering the leopard releases in 2 months or so.

i think the release is being delayed until October, although developers may get a copy in their hands sooner than that... June, i think it was?

anyway, we will see...

i'm going to wait until drivers fro the onboard NIC get released and then turn my Dell Dimension 9200 into a hackintosh...

still this thread is a godsend.. thanks again everyone for the education.

CMM.

Hi gals,

I'm thinking about buying a new computer, my first choice would be

a Dell Dimension 9200 with nvidia 8800, but only if I'm getting MacOS X running on it.

At work I have an 9200 (core2Duo, nvidia 8800) and an 9150(Pentium D, nvidia 7900GT)

and experimented with them in the last two days.

I've got two copies of HackOS lying around, one Jas 10.4.8 intel only and one

Jas 10.4.8 intel amd SSE2 SSE3 beta v2. The latter won't boot on the core2duo,

the first one will. On the pentiumD both will boot and install, but there are still problems.

my Problems (with both versions on both PCs) are:

If I install the latter on the pentium D, after install the boot screen appears, but pretty imediatly

it will grey out and tell me that "the system needs a reboot now", wich will not stop and always appear,

I tried to install it with natit and not without, which I presume is a problem here (which I will come to later again).

If I install the intel only copy with "combo update", "mifki kernel" and "ich8 support",

everything seems to be working at first, but during usage

the first thing I noticed was: window display is not correct, If I move the windows around the displayed footage

begins to smear in the window and mix up with other displayed stuff. The windows stay that way until I click

on another window, clicking on the background won't change anything, when minimizing them to the taskbar

a picture of them still stays on the background. Resolution change also wasn't possible,

so i install a freshly downloaded natit onto the system (at first install no natit was installed)

but when the system reboots it is generating the same mistake as with the other install above

(so I presume it's a natit problem ... could installing x11 window manager along help here?)

If I put that drive after install into the core2d system it generates the same error as if I install the intel only image

directly onto that one, which is: during the boot screen, after about 30secs of booting it shows that little

strikedout circle and stops there. I THINK that it generates the "no system root device" error (pro'ly because

of the ICH8 sata controller? ... no ide port on that machinge so no way i could try an ide

install out), but I can't enter verbose mode with apple v (windows v),

how can I boot with console? (sorry I'm a mac and hackos noob)

When I try to boot the AMD INTEL SSE... image on the core2duo it just stops at the very start of

the booting process.

I will try to install the intel only image on the 9150 (pentium D) again in the next days, with as little

patches as possible and then try to install the usb and ich8 patches from the gigabyte GA-965 patch package

(which seems to solve problems for some people) and then put it in the 9200 again to see if

it can find a sys root dev then (though I can't 100%ly tell that it IS that error) and IF i get a boot there

if i can apply natit.

I think there is a newer 10.4.8 image form Jas available, the "amd intel PPF1 and PPF2"

could that solve some probs?

Did anyone get a clean install on a Dell Dimension 9200 or comparable dell machine?

Any clues?

By the way: also tried an Jas 10.4.7 image, doesnt boot from DVD either.

thanx to all the great people, who create patches for HackOS!!!

- chab.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone got MIC working on this box? Im not sure if it ever worked on 10.8.8 but its not working on my current 10.8.9.

You know I thought I had EVERYTHING working until I saw this post. tested my MIC and no go. Anyone else have any luck?

Using the 9227 HDA codec dump.

Sorry folks, I have been ultra busy with work. AND my system has been working perfectly, so i've had little reason to mess with my computer.

I'll find some time this weekend to workout a how to using the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 install disc.

If I can get it to work flawlessly with this disc we'll have a guide.

BTW, the built in Ethernet still don't work worth a {censored} (or even at all). *sigh* I had to install a realtec nic to get net access. small price to pay though.

The XPS410 is a very capable OSX86 machine. I'd seriously recommend it and it is worth it.

You know I thought I had EVERYTHING working until I saw this post. tested my MIC and no go. Anyone else have any luck?

Using the 9227 HDA codec dump.

Man, I truthfully can't say if my MIC works or not. I have a Playstation USB Headset ($9 on clearance) I use with teamspeak while playing WOW. I've have never tested the MIC input.

I'll dig up a MIC and test tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I thought I might throw my hat into the forum.

Like the rest of us, my ICH8 drives were ignored. This was on all the latest builds including Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3. I am currently downloading the Jas 10.4.8 build with integrated bikerdude880 patch, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, I noticed in the post that the Jas 10.4.8 Intel only build works with the Dell; however, torrents for this file have all but dried up. eMule has this file (supposedly) with over 600 sources. I'm grabbing that as well to see if it's legit. I can't post the link, but you can search for "intel only jas" ISOs; there should only be a few. Its hash id begins A6279...

My main goal with this new install is testing the performance of my eSata HD. It has native Mac drivers and is recognized in BIOS as a bootable drive. Although, given my other incompatible hardware, I'll be testing for the masses too.