• Please log in to reply
1362 replies to this topic

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hmm my post didnt work. again lol. only patches on install needed is 10.4.8 update, semthex kernel, ICH8 patch, and 10.4.8 window optional.
All info needed is in our signatures.
No solution for onboard NIC.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey, thanks a lot for everyone's help. The last few fixes made it possible to actually switch over full time to OS X. I think I'll play in this world for a while.

Incidentally, I never got the 3com NIC to work, most things I found said there were no unix based drivers for it. I ended up getting a Linksys USB NIC that I have laying around for emergencies to work.

-drew

Bouldermac

Bouldermac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

boots up great for me in both my cd and dvd drive. when your in the menu and it doesnt show your hd's go to the menu bar and select disk utility select your drive or partition and select erase to mac extended journaled, that will mount your hd for install. not sure if you did that or not. but i dont think i patched the dvd. if i did it was the jmicrom ide patch (once again i dont think i did). gl.

Sorry for my multiple posts on this issue.
http://forum.insanel...showtopic=42873

This board, for some reason, didn't come up with this thread. "G965 Express" is what I should have searched -- "doh" says this newbee.

I get that apple plist not found error and in dire straits -- I need this system running!!

Anyhoo, this is where I am with my dell e520, which sould alot like this other dell being discussed:
* Intel G965 Express Chipset
* 256MB PCI ExpressTM NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE TurboCache7
* ATI X1300 Pro 256MB
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3000 (Intel GMA X3000)
* Intel G965 Express Chipset
* Intel Pentium D 805 with Dual-Core Technology (2.66GHz, 533FSB)

Are the specs. 2 gig memory, and an internal, unformated 250 sata -- which bios does see.

I've tried turning off one processor, I changed in BIOS something about speed boot -- NADA -- no boot.

I've seen many plist posts, but not one that fixes the thing. I can create an editable disk image in disk utility. If I did so, could I fix the install plist?

My bios has few options -- if I try and make my external a boot, nada, even though it is a SuperDuper! copy of Jas 1.047.

I have a G4 mac as current sytem, to make the Dell Windows run -- I'll do it if I must -- but I want to make a mac only system, and install parallels -- and copy the entire drive to be safe!

I am awaiting 10.48 downloads, I killed all my older downloads -- I have days to go -- and will seed for days once I have it. I have a 10.47, will turn of raid, and try.

Any suggestions, please let me know. I'm using the internal drive but:

I get that apple plist not found error -- so I'm turning of raid, burning a new 10.47. Wish me luck. I'm a single dad, need a new mid range mac -- and $1500 isn't on my budget. Apple and their {censored}, unupgradeable, low end systems with mini-drives and built in screens --WTF?!!

So please help! Please! Kids get G4 out this, not a G3 their age. :P

Please let me know if there is an install guide -- with what torrent. If need be, I'll buy an external USB CD rom. My system is SATA, and has cables that go into mother board -- gods only know the set-up. I'll check over the next few days of this next install fails.

Edited by Bouldermac, 22 February 2007 - 02:35 AM.

cmm3

cmm3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I just got my XPS 410 and am really excited about getting OS X to run on it, Let keep this thread going.

Things I have found:
1. Booting from the internal DVD drive yields root device "error". Once I get that, I move the DVD to my external USB DVD drive and the boot continues (try doing that in windows installer). Then OS X Installer launches, however, it sees no drives! This is with JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso

you know i have a brand new similarly spec Dimension 9200 which i believe is the same as the XPS 410 with a different name.

I haven't been able to get the inatller to load properly, and this whole time i'm assuming that OSx86 cannot find my SATA HD. however, the above quote leads me to believe that what is causing these "waiting for foot device" messages seems to be the SATA DVD-Ram drive.

meanwhile i've had had an external DVD-Ram drive 3 feet away from me up until 2 hours ago and it never once occurred to me to try it out. of course, it sounds like even when the installer program finally does boot properly, the SATA HD is having trouble being recognized. still, i am so excited by what i read in this thread that i sort of glossed over all the basics.

tomorrow i will move the external DVD drive back onto my desk and try it out. havnt partitioned my HD yet so i am in no way ready to install osx -- but at this point i can't even get to the installer -- so i figure i still have a good deal of work to do.

meanwhile, a PC w\ out a working ethernet NIC is pretty useless to me so until we can get the Intel 82566 to work -- but this is progress. i funny thing is i only found this thread after doing a search for the 82566 NIC. i wish i'd found it one week sooner.

thanks again for this very useful information.

i wish you lots of luck getting everything to work on yr systems.

CMM.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
cmm3, try going into the bios and changing the RAID from Always ON to Auto. More than likely this will get you past the waiting for root device error. And to me it's worth running out and getting a USB nic to play in OS X. Make sure whatever you pick up has drivers for OS X.

Also, what iso are you using? xplizid and i had great luck the the intel only iso, you just have to select the correct options when installing.

-drew

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
so i noticed just the other day that my superdrive which is the TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H553A does not burn cd's in itunes. any1 else have this problem or do you guys have a different one because i got dual drives.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
xplizid, i am unable to burn anything at all w/ my internal drive. my external usb drive, however, works great. i was going to ask you how you got yours to work or if it was a problem because of the number of drives i have in the system (2 dvd, 3 hd). if yours does work in other things, did you have to do anything special?

-drew

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Also, i was having a problem w/ my clock going way to fast (15-20 minutes fast every hr). The fix was to set kernel flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist. You need to set fsb frequency, which is 1/4 of fsb speed.

i set:
fsb=266

my clock appears to be functioning normally now!

cmm3

cmm3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

cmm3, try going into the bios and changing the RAID from Always ON to Auto. More than likely this will get you past the waiting for root device error. And to me it's worth running out and getting a USB nic to play in OS X. Make sure whatever you pick up has drivers for OS X.

Also, what iso are you using? xplizid and i had great luck the the intel only iso, you just have to select the correct options when installing.

-drew

i connected my external (USB) DVD-burner and was able to get into the installer without the dreaded "waiting for root device" error; howver, the osx86 installer would not recognize my HD. the only drive in Disk Utility was the external DVD-burner (i disabled the internal one in bios b/c i was worried that it wouldnt boot the DVD off of the external drive if i left the internal one operational)

how do i get my HD recognized? someone recomended i try VM Ware which i am in the process of downloading. i'm tired of registering for free trials so i figure i have to find this program somewhere else. but if there is a better method (besides ripping out my HD and installing it into another PC, then transfering it back to my PC, please let me know.

i am using the Jas 1048 AMD/INTEL iso or whatever its called + ppf 1.

i never downloaded the intel only iso since back when it was released i had an sse2-only PC and i was told that u needed an sse3 PC to run it -- i just got the Dimension 9200 just weeks ago.

i will eventually get a supported PCI Ethernet card but that will have to wait until i can acually load the program on my PC.

thanks again for your help with this.

CMM.

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hmm dvds and cd's burn fine with toast or any 3rd party burning program. my sony cd-r burner burns within itunes fine. also there is a patch you can download called patchburn you can see if that helps, just google it. Didnt work for me but it now says in hardware information supported instead of unsupported.

as for vmware why dont you just download it from a torrent tracker with it cracked with the serial?

cmm3 its still available on OiNK.

Edited by xplizid, 25 February 2007 - 08:35 AM.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
cmm3,

i'm going to repeat my initial suggestions:

1. turn off raid in the bios. i'm assuming the 9200 has it since the 410 does and everything i've seen so far indicates the hardware is the same between the two models.

if that doesn't help, try:

2. get the intel only iso.

also, vmware server is free off the vmware site, use this instead of vmware workstation. it's not a trial, it's the whole thing, free. however, i was unable to get it to load on vmware and it will prove to be more of a hassle than following the two suggestions above.

xplizid,

yea, my burner doesn't even seem to be recognized by the system, it doesn't show up in the profiler. at some point i'll try swapping the order of the drives, see if it shows up then. patchburn (thanks, btw) only works with devices the system sees, not helping in this scenario.

last night i ran across a profiler patcher. this fixes the "There was an error while gathering this information" message i saw on the Hardware section of the system profiler. if you get it, use 1.2, not 1.3. you can get it here:

http://kbhb.gottabre.....er Patch.html

-drew

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
odd that it doesnt show up at all. you have yet to even say what kind of drive it is. you should really cr8 a signature for others to know your hardware and or help you.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
xplizid, the dvd-r is the same as yours. actually a lot of my specs are similar to you. i'll work on a sig after this post, it's going to look like your though =]

so i swapped the drives, now it sees my dvd-r, but not the plain old dvd drive. so i think there is a limitation on how many SATA ports OS X sees on these boxes. i read about this on another thread that was refering to an intel board, so this doesn't really come as a surprise to me. i can try to find the thread if you like.

i will try to burn from within itunes, which is something i've never done before anyway, and report back what i find.

-drew

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hmm thats odd mine shows up in system profiler and yours doesnt.

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, i found the thread i was thining about. it is actually for a Gugbyte board, but still based off the p964 nonetheless. first post in thread:

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=28439

"Then connect your Sata DVD (or IDE converted to SATA drive) to the ORANGE ports.* This is important, the OSX DVD will not be able to even find the disc if its on the purple ports."

So, i'm wondering if it's a similar situation, not being able to see either anything on those ports or optical drives on those ports. I'll switch ports around later tonight and see if i can get it to recognize.

sig updated.

-drew

peart75

peart75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i swapped the dvd-rw with the open sata port but that didn't help. i'm not sure if the thread mentioned above has any merit to this issue or not. i'm at a loss on this one.

-drew

sdelic

sdelic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, thanks to everyone who's posted their results up so far.

I had success getting OS86 to boot on my XPS410 this weekend using the 10.4.8 Intel only CD.

I unchecked the USB patch but I still am not getting any response on my keyboard. I'm using the reseeded JaS DVD 10.4.8 Intel only. Do I need to patch this DVD in order for this to work? I'm also unclear how to patch the ISO images with the updates. Any help would be great!

Right now MacOSX boots up but no mouse or keyboard available.

Dell XPS410

Mac OS X x86 10.4.8 with mifki - Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only Reseed

I checked the following JaS options:

- JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update
- INTEL.SSE3.mifki
- INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

I left the USB patch UNCHECKED.

Still no Keyboard or Mouse

System Specs:
Intel P965 Chipset - Core 2 Duo 6300 1.8
1GB DDR-2 667MHz - Nvidia 7300 LE
Sata0 - 30GB Apple-HPFS

Edited by sdelic, 26 February 2007 - 10:36 PM.

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
very odd. you could try different usb ports. also unplugging and replugging upon reboot or at different stages of boot. did you ever select usb 2.0 and go back and select upgrade then deselect in which case a new install would need to be done (remember to erase all data when reinstalling).

btw there are no patches for this iso.

Edited by xplizid, 27 February 2007 - 12:21 AM.

cmm3

cmm3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

-drew

Drew:

thanks for yr suggestions. to be clear, going into the BIOS and changing SATA Opration mode to "Autodetect" doesn't do anything for me. i suspect it only helps w\ the original JaS 1048 SSE3 only iso which i can no longer find anywhere -- all the trackers i've found seem to be offline.

if you could point me in the right direction where i might pick up the sse3 only iso i'd be super greatful it sounds like that is the key to getting osx working on the xps 410 / dimension 9200.

thanks again for yr help.

Costas.

xplizid

xplizid

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Well ill rehost it up on demonoid again or and its also still available at oink. will do when i get off work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy