Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

I am reloading XPS 410 tongiht with the new install DVD form demonoid to see what has changed. I'll let you know what's up when I get finished tonight.

There ARE reports of the Sigmatel 9227 working with Taruga's audio driver thingie.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry295155

I'll make the needed linux dump file and post it here if it works for our systems. In the meantime there is a dump file attached to the above post. You can try it first.

I am shooting for dual head video too. Again, I'll let you know how that goes.

The only thing left burning my ass is the onboard ethernet. It's looking most grim for it's well being.

IT WORKED!

We now have audio from the built in Sigmatel 9227 audio chip on our Dell XPS 410 systems. No more need for external sounds cards, USB or otherwise.

Use the linux Sigmatel 9227 dump (located here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry295155 )

along with the AppleHDA Patcher (located here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...859&hl=9227 ) and it will work.

Sound Glorious Sound.

Now we need to tackle the Network issue.

haha woot i just found out about 5 minutes ago {censored} my pants! thought id post it on here but ya beat me :). no only to get the 82566 to work. btw slave may i ask how you ended up installing osx. only dvd that would boot up for me is the 10.4.8 intel sse3 only dvd. hit me back on pm or on here.

Nice, very nice. I've only loaded OSx86 on my old computer which went smoothly. I tried to do the same with the XPS 410 with the latest JAS I found at the time. Needless to say, it did not work. Can you please post which version of the install was used. Also did you use a USB DVD-ROM or did you use a SATA to IDE adapter?

One more thing, I have two 250GB drives striped. Will I be able to load OSx86 with this configuration?

Thanks

Edited by TommyLee

jas 10.4.8 sse3 intel only dvd booted up and installs fine for me i am curious how others have done this. check your bios and make sure its not set to only raid - prevents xp pro from loading dont know bout osx.

Edited by xplizid

jas 10.4.8 sse3 intel only dvd booted up and installs fine for me i am curious how others have done this. check your bios and make sure its not set to only raid - prevents xp pro from loading dont know bout osx.

I just got my XPS 410 and am really excited about getting OS X to run on it, Let keep this thread going.

Things I have found:

1. Booting from the internal DVD drive yields root device "error". Once I get that, I move the DVD to my external USB DVD drive and the boot continues (try doing that in windows installer). Then OS X Installer launches, however, it sees no drives! This is with JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso

2. Doing the above, but w/ an iso that is patched w/ http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42317 I get an error right away about how it was unable to load the main menu or something like that. I'm pretty sure i don't have this patched all correctly and am looking for things I missed.

3. When I try to boot in VM, I can't just point the cd-rom to the iso file, I have to burn it to a disk and then point the cd-rom to the physical dvd drive I have in. It boots up completely from there in the VM. I perform the install (with the unpatched JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 iso), which competes, but upon bootup after installation I receive a kernel panic "unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"". I haven't begun digging for this one yet. FYI, I also added a scsi drive to see if it would show up in the installer, it doesn't.

xplizid, I am trying to get the 10.4.8 sse3 intel only iso, but it's slow going and it looks like I may have it done by tomorrow. Did you have to patch it at all or was it no issues from start to finish?

Thanks for the info!

Edited by peart75

boots up great for me in both my cd and dvd drive. when your in the menu and it doesnt show your hd's go to the menu bar and select disk utility select your drive or partition and select erase to mac extended journaled, that will mount your hd for install. not sure if you did that or not. but i dont think i patched the dvd. if i did it was the jmicrom ide patch (once again i dont think i did). gl.

boots up great for me in both my cd and dvd drive. when your in the menu and it doesnt show your hd's go to the menu bar and select disk utility select your drive or partition and select erase to mac extended journaled, that will mount your hd for install. not sure if you did that or not. but i dont think i patched the dvd. if i did it was the jmicrom ide patch (once again i dont think i did). gl.

Regarding the Disk Util, yes, I had ran it and no discs were there. Again, this was for the other iso that you aren't using, I am still d/ling the Intel only iso.

I got my VM installation a little further, I did not know you had to go in and select packages. Now the machine boots up, sits and churns at the gray screen for about 5-10 minutes then hangs. I read about it on one of the threads, I have about 20 tabs up right now, just need to figure out which one it was.

If that doesn't work, the Intel only iso has me fairly optimistic. I'll reply with what I find.

-drew

Well, I finally got JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso. However, when booting off of it in the VM it goes directly to a gray apple screen and freezes. When I boot off of it w/ my physical machine it goes to the gray apple screen, circle spins and then 30 seconds later i get a circle w/ a slash through it, a big C.B.

Any ideas?

Is this after install or on boot up of dvd? if you press f8 be4 after selecting boot dvd put it into verbose mode, -v. i am all most certain you got a waiting for root devices. i have one idea you can try going into your bios (f2 at start up of computer) - performance - and select multicore support off. other than that i am out of ideas, why is it the dvd only boots for me??? Whats your drives are they the same as mine?

alot of good info on waiting for root devices

set hdd to primary master seems to have done the trick for a lotor remove a kext that skips the check all together ima read further and try this out on other install disks c if any of it worx.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...or+root+devices

Edited by xplizid

Ok, The other image I was using was doing -v by default apparently. You were right, waiting for root device. Put the cd in my USB dvd and it finished booting. Installer came up but still no drives visible in the disk utility.

I remembered reading a thread about disabling RAID in the bios. I'm not using raid so I didn't think it would really matter. I changed the RAID option in the bios from ON to Auto and it booted completely right from the internal dvd drive! And of course all my sata drives are visible in the disk utility now. I'm not sure how windows will react if I boot up and not be on the RAID controller now. It may update the drivers, it may blue screen, I'll save that one for later after I get OS X up and running.

I'm going to clear the drive I have set aside for OS X and try installing.

Incidently, not that it especially matters at this point, drive configuration is DVD-Rom, DVD-RW, 500 GB Sata, 300 GB Sata (Had previous to system), 160 Gb Sata (Had previous to system).

Thanks!

Edited by peart75

I seem to be having a similar issue I had w/ the VM on the other image. The install completed, when it boots back up the HD grinds for about 5 minutes and then appears to hang. Have you ehard of this before?

So close...

Ok, i did -v when it was booting up, post install. I see a few things that may be relevant:

1. kextd_watch_volumes: coulnd't set up diskarb sessions

2. diskarb isn't ready yet, we'll try it again soon

This repeats a few times, then a couple items launch (loginwindow and Direcotry Service), and then it's done. It even appears to power down the HDs due to idle. If i push the power button the HD revs up again and the system is put into sleep/suspend mode.

Damn, it's just one issue after another....

I got past the previous problem. I re-installed and unchecked hardware drivers I did not need (ATI) and did not use Semthex, use Mifki. Originally I checked everything (rememebr, I'm totally new to all this :)).

Now I get past the Welcome screen, but it does not see my keyboard or mouse. I think the thread started also said he did not use the USB patch. I am going to try the install again, w/out USB patch.

It works!@!@@!##@!

Unchecking the USB patch was the final part. Now I've just got to learn a completely new OS....

What are you guys doing for the NIC? I added a PCI card (3COM 3c905) in after the install. Are there drivers on there for it? Or do i have to do some sort of scan for it to see it properly?

Is there anything I can do for the video? Sometimes it gets a little squirrelly and does not redraw correctly.

Thanks,

Drew

Hey, thanks a lot for everyone's help. The last few fixes made it possible to actually switch over full time to OS X. I think I'll play in this world for a while.

Incidentally, I never got the 3com NIC to work, most things I found said there were no unix based drivers for it. I ended up getting a Linksys USB NIC that I have laying around for emergencies to work.

-drew

Sorry for my multiple posts on this issue.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42873

This board, for some reason, didn't come up with this thread. "G965 Express" is what I should have searched -- "doh" says this newbee.

I get that apple plist not found error and in dire straits -- I need this system running!!

Anyhoo, this is where I am with my dell e520, which sould alot like this other dell being discussed:

* Intel® G965 Express Chipset

* 256MB PCI ExpressTM NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300LE TurboCache7

* ATI X1300 Pro 256MB

* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000 (Intel® GMA X3000)

* Intel® G965 Express Chipset

* Intel® Pentium® D 805 with Dual-Core Technology (2.66GHz, 533FSB)

Are the specs. 2 gig memory, and an internal, unformated 250 sata -- which bios does see.

I've tried turning off one processor, I changed in BIOS something about speed boot -- NADA -- no boot.

I've seen many plist posts, but not one that fixes the thing. I can create an editable disk image in disk utility. If I did so, could I fix the install plist?

My bios has few options -- if I try and make my external a boot, nada, even though it is a SuperDuper! copy of Jas 1.047.

I have a G4 mac as current sytem, to make the Dell Windows run -- I'll do it if I must -- but I want to make a mac only system, and install parallels -- and copy the entire drive to be safe!

I am awaiting 10.48 downloads, I killed all my older downloads -- I have days to go -- and will seed for days once I have it. I have a 10.47, will turn of raid, and try.

Any suggestions, please let me know. I'm using the internal drive but:

I get that apple plist not found error -- so I'm turning of raid, burning a new 10.47. Wish me luck. I'm a single dad, need a new mid range mac -- and $1500 isn't on my budget. Apple and their {censored}, unupgradeable, low end systems with mini-drives and built in screens --WTF?!!

So please help! Please! Kids get G4 out this, not a G3 their age. :P

Please let me know if there is an install guide -- with what torrent. If need be, I'll buy an external USB CD rom. My system is SATA, and has cables that go into mother board -- gods only know the set-up. I'll check over the next few days of this next install fails.

Edited by Bouldermac

I just got my XPS 410 and am really excited about getting OS X to run on it, Let keep this thread going.

Things I have found:

1. Booting from the internal DVD drive yields root device "error". Once I get that, I move the DVD to my external USB DVD drive and the boot continues (try doing that in windows installer). Then OS X Installer launches, however, it sees no drives! This is with JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso

you know i have a brand new similarly spec Dimension 9200 which i believe is the same as the XPS 410 with a different name.

I haven't been able to get the inatller to load properly, and this whole time i'm assuming that OSx86 cannot find my SATA HD. however, the above quote leads me to believe that what is causing these "waiting for foot device" messages seems to be the SATA DVD-Ram drive.

meanwhile i've had had an external DVD-Ram drive 3 feet away from me up until 2 hours ago and it never once occurred to me to try it out. of course, it sounds like even when the installer program finally does boot properly, the SATA HD is having trouble being recognized. still, i am so excited by what i read in this thread that i sort of glossed over all the basics.

tomorrow i will move the external DVD drive back onto my desk and try it out. havnt partitioned my HD yet so i am in no way ready to install osx -- but at this point i can't even get to the installer -- so i figure i still have a good deal of work to do.

meanwhile, a PC w\ out a working ethernet NIC is pretty useless to me so until we can get the Intel 82566 to work -- but this is progress. i funny thing is i only found this thread after doing a search for the 82566 NIC. i wish i'd found it one week sooner.

thanks again for this very useful information.

i wish you lots of luck getting everything to work on yr systems.

CMM.

cmm3, try going into the bios and changing the RAID from Always ON to Auto. More than likely this will get you past the waiting for root device error. And to me it's worth running out and getting a USB nic to play in OS X. Make sure whatever you pick up has drivers for OS X.

Also, what iso are you using? xplizid and i had great luck the the intel only iso, you just have to select the correct options when installing.

-drew

xplizid, i am unable to burn anything at all w/ my internal drive. my external usb drive, however, works great. i was going to ask you how you got yours to work or if it was a problem because of the number of drives i have in the system (2 dvd, 3 hd). if yours does work in other things, did you have to do anything special?

-drew

Also, i was having a problem w/ my clock going way to fast (15-20 minutes fast every hr). The fix was to set kernel flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist. You need to set fsb frequency, which is 1/4 of fsb speed.

i set:

fsb=266

my clock appears to be functioning normally now!

cmm3, try going into the bios and changing the RAID from Always ON to Auto. More than likely this will get you past the waiting for root device error. And to me it's worth running out and getting a USB nic to play in OS X. Make sure whatever you pick up has drivers for OS X.

Also, what iso are you using? xplizid and i had great luck the the intel only iso, you just have to select the correct options when installing.

-drew

i connected my external (USB) DVD-burner and was able to get into the installer without the dreaded "waiting for root device" error; howver, the osx86 installer would not recognize my HD. the only drive in Disk Utility was the external DVD-burner (i disabled the internal one in bios b/c i was worried that it wouldnt boot the DVD off of the external drive if i left the internal one operational)

how do i get my HD recognized? someone recomended i try VM Ware which i am in the process of downloading. i'm tired of registering for free trials so i figure i have to find this program somewhere else. but if there is a better method (besides ripping out my HD and installing it into another PC, then transfering it back to my PC, please let me know.

i am using the Jas 1048 AMD/INTEL iso or whatever its called + ppf 1.

i never downloaded the intel only iso since back when it was released i had an sse2-only PC and i was told that u needed an sse3 PC to run it -- i just got the Dimension 9200 just weeks ago.

i will eventually get a supported PCI Ethernet card but that will have to wait until i can acually load the program on my PC.

thanks again for your help with this.

CMM.

hmm dvds and cd's burn fine with toast or any 3rd party burning program. my sony cd-r burner burns within itunes fine. also there is a patch you can download called patchburn you can see if that helps, just google it. Didnt work for me but it now says in hardware information supported instead of unsupported.

as for vmware why dont you just download it from a torrent tracker with it cracked with the serial?

cmm3 its still available on OiNK.

Edited by xplizid