Triple monitor with GTX670 and Ivy Bridge

kba

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've just recently assembled myself a new Mountain Lion Hackintosh, and almost everything is working perfect, except OS X won't seem to allow me to use more than two monitors.

My build contains

• Intel Core i7 I7-3770K 8 MB
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
  • Gigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC

And on top of that, I have three monitors.

The GTX 670 has 4 outputs: 2 x DVI, 1 x DisplayPort and 1 x HDMI

Currently, I have two monitors connected, both using DVI. When I connect a third monitor using the DisplayPort, one of my DVI monitors simply goes black, and I don't know what to do about it or where to even start. The GTX 670 worked right ouf of the box with full acceleration after installation.

Any ideas on how to make GTX 670 detect and use the three monitors simultaneously? If that's not possible, I'd alternatively just like to be able to connect the third monitor to the integrated HD4000 graphics card. I have tried this, but OS X seems to completely ignore the HD4000, even if I disconnect the other monitors.

I use GraphicsEnabler=No and iMac 12,2 system definition, because I get a kernel panic with Mac Pro 5,1.

Any help is appreciated! :-) If you need any additional information, just ask.

• 4 weeks later...

Three monitors is not possible, it's a driver issue and not solutions exist.

The only option is to wait for Apple to release an updated driver.

And it's not even sure they ever will release one for 670 with 3 monitor support.

My "solution" was to sell all three monitors and get 2x27" cinema displays instead.

Use DSDT injection for the Nvidia GTX 670 and you will understand why it only supports 2 monitors:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/how-to-inject-your-nvidia-fermi-graphic-card-into-a-dsdt/

As for getting the HD4000 working temporally remove the GTX 670 and change you simbios to Mac Mini 5,1 then work on getting the HD4000 working and one you do reinstall your GTX 670 and you will be up and running with 3 monitors.

• 4 weeks later...

Use DSDT injection for the Nvidia GTX 670 and you will understand why it only supports 2 monitors:

http://rampagedev.wo...rd-into-a-dsdt/

As for getting the HD4000 working temporally remove the GTX 670 and change you simbios to Mac Mini 5,1 then work on getting the HD4000 working and one you do reinstall your GTX 670 and you will be up and running with 3 monitors.

Do you mean running one monitor on the built in GPU and the other two monitors on GTX 670?

I have a HD3000 (2500K CPU) and i got it working successfully using the right device ID.

- 1 Monitor on HD3000

- 2 monitors on GTX670.

I'm having a problem though, in Photoshop HD3000 is choosen by default and i think that games are being run via HD3000 instead of GTX670 because i'm getting huge frame-drops and can run games barely on medium settings.

Yea, it has to compensate for the other monitor. So it lowers the capability of what the one card to do.

As for Adobe the HD3000 is not chosen by default and has nothing to do with the GPU but what monitor you have the main screen of adobe open on. The only way you are going to get the performance yo want is to buy another GTX 670...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...