Lost mouse and keyboard on system, cant log in!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

X-TRiAL

X-TRiAL

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
hi, I installed mountain lion fine but had a choppy mouse, I installed some kexts with MBeast and was working fine, just no wifi.
I tried to install some wifi kexts and now I have lost my mouse and keyboard - I am stuck on the log in screen as I can't type anything!! On the log in screen the mouse doesn't even show up.

any help?

Specs:

Acer 5750G
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2GHz
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M + Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Optimus)
4GB DDR3 RAM
640GB HDD

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Would be great if you knew what you installed, which is the main problem with apps like that. Try booting with -x if that doesn't work you can boot to the command line in single user mode with -s and remove the problem kext manually, but not if you don't have a better idea of which one :(

If you really must, after booting in single user mode with -s follow the commands on screen to run fsck and mount / as RW. then:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
ls -ct

that will list all the extensions, soreted by date last modified, with most recent being at the top of the list, then:
mv "type name of that kext here" ~/Desktop/

reboot this time using -f to skip loading the kernel cache

X-TRiAL

X-TRiAL

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Would be great if you knew what you installed, which is the main problem with apps like that. Try booting with -x if that doesn't work you can boot to the command line in single user mode with -s and remove the problem kext manually, but not if you don't have a better idea of which one :(

I can remove the kext as I have a Lion install on a different partition - will try that.

X-TRiAL

X-TRiAL

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

I can remove the kext as I have a Lion install on a different partition - will try that.

Removed AppleHDA.kext and it loaded fine. Now I'm getting KP because of the IntelGraphics3000.kext

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
loaded fine and kernel panic go together like oil and water :) try safe mode via -x , i'm reluctant to advise much more beyond that not knowing how everything was set up with the dual gpu's, chimera and muti-B options along with it's default options that can be problematic on their own

X-TRiAL

X-TRiAL

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

loaded fine and kernel panic go together like oil and water :) try safe mode via -x , i'm reluctant to advise much more beyond that not knowing how everything was set up with the dual gpu's, chimera and muti-B options along with it's default options that can be problematic on their own

Ok, I tried -f and it booted up, I have disabled the switchable graphics (Nvidia GT 540M) and am just running the Intel HD Graphics 3000. But in safari I get flickers from video, and flash adverts ect. this also happens with some of the desktop and icons and happens a lot when I click on "Top sites" too. Haven't yet tried rebooting again... any advice on it?

p.s. my system is a laptop with Nvidia Optimus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy