Lost mouse and keyboard on system, cant log in!

6 posts in this topic

hi, I installed mountain lion fine but had a choppy mouse, I installed some kexts with MBeast and was working fine, just no wifi.

I tried to install some wifi kexts and now I have lost my mouse and keyboard - I am stuck on the log in screen as I can't type anything!! On the log in screen the mouse doesn't even show up.

any help?

Specs:

Acer 5750G

Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2GHz

Nvidia GeForce GT 540M + Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Optimus)

4GB DDR3 RAM

640GB HDD

Would be great if you knew what you installed, which is the main problem with apps like that. Try booting with -x if that doesn't work you can boot to the command line in single user mode with -s and remove the problem kext manually, but not if you don't have a better idea of which one :(

If you really must, after booting in single user mode with -s follow the commands on screen to run fsck and mount / as RW. then:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

ls -ct

that will list all the extensions, soreted by date last modified, with most recent being at the top of the list, then:

mv "type name of that kext here" ~/Desktop/

reboot this time using -f to skip loading the kernel cache

Would be great if you knew what you installed, which is the main problem with apps like that. Try booting with -x if that doesn't work you can boot to the command line in single user mode with -s and remove the problem kext manually, but not if you don't have a better idea of which one :(

I can remove the kext as I have a Lion install on a different partition - will try that.

I can remove the kext as I have a Lion install on a different partition - will try that.

Removed AppleHDA.kext and it loaded fine. Now I'm getting KP because of the IntelGraphics3000.kext

loaded fine and kernel panic go together like oil and water :) try safe mode via -x , i'm reluctant to advise much more beyond that not knowing how everything was set up with the dual gpu's, chimera and muti-B options along with it's default options that can be problematic on their own

loaded fine and kernel panic go together like oil and water :) try safe mode via -x , i'm reluctant to advise much more beyond that not knowing how everything was set up with the dual gpu's, chimera and muti-B options along with it's default options that can be problematic on their own

Ok, I tried -f and it booted up, I have disabled the switchable graphics (Nvidia GT 540M) and am just running the Intel HD Graphics 3000. But in safari I get flickers from video, and flash adverts ect. this also happens with some of the desktop and icons and happens a lot when I click on "Top sites" too. Haven't yet tried rebooting again... any advice on it?

p.s. my system is a laptop with Nvidia Optimus.