HD 7750?

Snow

7 posts in this topic

Any hope for this card to work on osx86?

Compared to my current 5770 (which is failing on me) it runs on half the power, equals performance and is also available with passive cooling.

I think ML holds support for these cards but only the laptop version am I correct?

Here's hoping someone will release a hack to make it work while we wait for official support in the next ML update.

Later

Doubt anything will happen until Apple release an official driver as there have been bits of the 7000 series drivers in some of the ML Developer Previews. Sadly there is no complete release yet.

It is very unlikely that someone can put a driver for the whole lineup together before Apple eventually release a driver of course apple may never release it as they may have been testing AMD cards as well as nvidia and went for nvidia in the end killing the AMD off. Of course that's all hypothetical and we just have to hope!

I have a 7850 and would love to see some OS X action on it too :D

I guess it's best to wait for the upcoming NVidia Kepler cards that match the performance and price as apple will likely if not already support them.

The wait continues :D

Which card, ATI or NVIDIA would match the 7750 in performance and power consumption. I'm particularly interested in the lack of a PCE-e connector which would be much better for my 430W PSU (without PCI-E line)

I don't know for sure if I'm having issues with the HD5770 or PSU (not enough juice) but with the 7750 I would probably fix both issues!

Thanks

Now I'm even more confused, did it have a separate PCI-e line mate?

Fall? can't wait that long mate, too many issues, it crashed to vertical lines again after putting a 120mm fan on the passive cooler which runs mid 30's idle and low 60's on load so can't be temps.

There is no DSDT needed for this mobo, that's why I bought it in the first place. The 5770 should be supported OOB too.

It's hard to depend on this rig for work when it can crash anytime.

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated.

Alright, I think I have figured it out.

So either it's my PSU or GFX card, my guess is the GFX since a lot of people with HD5... series report issues (GSOD)

I've got two options:

1. GT640 that requires no PCI-e connection and consumes half of the 5770 but is a lot worse in performance.

2. Take a risk and get 550TI that requires PCI-e connector, consumes slightly more power but is on par, or even a better performer then 5770.

If it's the PSU I will still be safe with the 640GT because of much lower power consumption.

I rarely play games anymore but if I ever want to I can forget about it with the GT640. The 2GB RAM though might help for work (photoshop, 3D)

Price is about the same so not a factor.

What you guys think? could it be my PSU not providing enough juice anymore because of age and therefore post these GSOD's (vertical bars, looping sound crash)

Seasonic S12-430W, bought in 2005 ;)

Thanks

One last question, since this PUS lacks a dedicated PCI-e line is it ok to power the 5770 via one 12V rail? nothing else is connected to the rail and I don't know if it's the 14A or 15A rail.

Or do I have to use both rails? the other rail is connected to 3 HD's, 1 SSD and 3 x 120mm fans.

Thanks!