Somewhere Lion And Mountain Lion Break Time Machine, not starting automatic backup due to thermal level

mountain lion thermal level backup time machine lion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

bebop68

bebop68

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
my hardware is a core 2 quad 9550, 6gb ram, gigabyte ep45-ds4, radeon 5870, ssd, hd, realtek sound and ethernet.

I installed Lion last year, kept fakesmc and plugins up to date, and chameleon, and applied lion updates when they were released. i have a fully functional dsdt with speedstep enabled. Time Machine would automatically back up across my network to a time capsule every hour. Recently I noticed it wasn't backing up automatically anymore - it stopped sometime after about March. It would still backup manually, but came up with this log message when trying to backup automatically

'com.apple.backupd: Not starting automatic backup due to thermal level'

I just installed Mountain lion and get the same message, plus an 'error 102' message.

I also installed ML on another machine with an acer motherboard, nvidia graphics, different sound, intel ethernet. and got the same problem. The only things that I can think were the same were fakesmc and chameleon.

After tearing down my time capsule I discovered the problem was local when trying to auto-backup to a hard drive attached to the sata ports.

I've tried - rolling back chameleon, fakesmc, using a different smbios.plist, mac pro 5,1 and 3,1, removing agpm kext.

I'm about to reinstall lion 10.7.0 just to see if that works. Also I could try employing nullcpupm?

Does anyone know whats going on here? Googling these error messages comes up with very little. (5 hits)

All I can think is that somewhere around 10.7.3 apple added some thermal sensing to lion which breaks this - but no one else has reported a problem?

Thanks for your help.

bebop68

bebop68

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
it happens when you go from 10.7.3 to 10.7.4. Any idea what sensor its looking for and how to spoof it?

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 533 posts
I´m having the same problem on Mountain Lion:

Aug  8 19:35:00 taruga.home com.apple.backupd[645]: Not starting automatic backup due to thermal level.

cernst

cernst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Same for me on Mountain Lion... :-(

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 533 posts
Found out the problem in my case was because of ssdt.aml

HCE

HCE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Found out the problem in my case was because of ssdt.aml

So what was wrong with your ssdt? Maybe your solution could help us fix ours, too.

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 533 posts
I don´t know what the problem was, all I know is that it messed with time machine backups with that '

Not

starting automatic backup due to thermal level

.'

So, I just deleted my ssdt.aml file and all is fine now

Hackmodford

Hackmodford

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

I had the same problem and solution in 10.9.1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mountain lion, thermal level, backup, time machine, lion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy