• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

tbplayer

tbplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
If my computer does not use a Gigabyte board, do I still need to run patcher.rb?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 with a H57 chipset, nVidia hi-def audio and nVidia GeForce 210 video. Looking at the code for patcher.rb it seems like it's specific to your original setup, and for me finalize fails when it tries to run patcher.rb.

So can I just comment out the patcher.rb section of finalize - what do you think?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

If my computer does not use a Gigabyte board, do I still need to run patcher.rb?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 with a H57 chipset, nVidia hi-def audio and nVidia GeForce 210 video. Looking at the code for patcher.rb it seems like it's specific to your original setup, and for me finalize fails when it tries to run patcher.rb.

So can I just comment out the patcher.rb section of finalize - what do you think?

You need to add a DSDT specific to your board before running mkboot. Even with that you might have issues with at least sound.

tbplayer

tbplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
OK, but can I just comment out the patcher.rb from finalize?

mcolinp

mcolinp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
So I usually do a Chameleon install to a USB stick which the computer boots first then choose a hard-drive/Operating-system from there . . .
I have had lots of issues getting my computer to sleep with this configuration; and some posts I have looked at blame the USB Legacy Detect Mode in BIOS to cause havoc when it comes to sleep.

So; I decided to try and simply run the computer with the .finalize only on the OSX hard-drive, (before I also did ./finalize to the USB stick; then deleted the extra folder and boot from the Hard drive, since I was booting chameleon from the USB stick). The trouble I am having now is that I cannot for the life of me, get the computer to boot into graphics mode with the apple boot logo. I have tried many suggested edits in my org.chameleon.boot.plist, to no avail. What am I missing?

here is what my org.chameleon.Boot.plist entries look like:

<key>Boot Graphics<key>
<string>Yes<string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v darkwake=0</string>

tbplayer

tbplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
After looking at the code of the files in the install.zip I decided to just give it a try, even though I'm not using a Gigabyte board. My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 and I've had a build by Niresh12495 running on it, but I kept getting random KPs as well as some issues with the video. So I just created a new Mac partition and followed this guide.

I made a .dmg of my Mountain Lion DVD to use - I realized later that I didn't need to do that, and I had to hack mkboot to help it find the .dmg, but after that it ran and created the boot USB. I booted to the USB drive and installed ML 10.8 on the new Mac partition. Then I restarted, booted into the USB drive, and ran finalize. It copied Chameleon and some other files but failed at patcher.rb - specifically in def patch_gige. But I knew that it was near the end of the patcher.rb code, so I decided to just boot into the new installation, and EVERYTHING STARTED NORMALLY (QE/CI !) :thumbsup_anim: except the NIC and sound. I was especially happy to see the transparent menu bar - the new installation correctly identified my nVidia GeForce 210, and the menu bar, Launchpad and Safari all worked normally (in the previous Niresh12495 installation, my video card was never properly identified and reported 2GB RAM when the card only has 1GB. Read my link above if you're interested in the other video issues I was having).

I knew that my system has a Broadcom NIC and installed BCM5722D.kext which got networking running. I installed VoodooHDA which got sound working, but I was getting random KPs until I found this guide - following a few tips gave me sound and seems to have made my system stable.

So thanks for this guide. I was wondering if I should have just removed the reference to patcher.rb from finalize, but things are working well even with it having partially run.

I've been playing with Mac on PCs for a couple of years now and this is the easiest, simplest and most effective guide I've used yet! :)

ArcticZero

ArcticZero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hello,

First of all, here's my system:

i7 930 @ 4ghz
12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 680 2gb
Asus Rampage III Extreme (Bios 1502)
Seagate 500gb 7200.11 on onboard Intel SATA Controller, AHCI mode
8GB USB Flash Drive for installation
Snow Leopard install on VMWare for prepping bootable USB.

I've checked out numerous guides on how to install Mountain Lion on my PC (vanilla and myHack, don't want to try ###### type methods yet), but none of them get me to the install screen. They all fail a few seconds after the initial boot options screen with the error "Errors encountered while starting up the computer", after which it reboots in 5 seconds. I've tried -x, -s, -v, PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes, which don't seem to matter.

Any ideas? I don't seem to be making ANY progress. Will try this guide later today..

Thanks!

EDIT: The last kext that loads prior to it displaying that error is "TMSafetyNet.kext".

Snick

Snick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Still have not success with my GA-EP45-DS3 (setup in sign) anyone luckier than me ?

Snick

Snick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Update.
I was able to install 10.8.2, and it works like a charm. Everything works correctly. If i can help anyone with my same configuration just let me know what you need and i'll be happy to share.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
I tried it on my P35-DS4 and everything worked together with a OOB working 6870 :thumbsup_anim:
Thanks Tseug!
Can you also tell what options you have in your bios??

I did a restore with timemachine with my Lion backups and everything went in place. I saw that no org.chameleon.Boot.plist was found in Chameleon Wizard so I created one and chose 'boot0' and after that 'boot0md' beacause I have windows7 install on another disk.
So this morning I tried to log on, I receive the choices of chameleon and when I choose 'Mountain Lion' it runs in verbose and it stops and reboot endlessly.

What has caused this and how can I resolve it please?

EDIT: Ok, now I changed some bios options to this and it stops after the last line in screenshot.
Sata RAID/AHCI mode -> Disabled
Sata Port0-3 Native mode -> Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE Device -> Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl Mode -> IDE
HPET Support -> Enabled
HPET Mode -> 64-bit mode
Posted Image

EDIT: Ok, I found what it was. I needed to change bios options to this
Sata RAID/AHCI mode -> AHCI
Sata Port0-3 Native mode -> Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE Device -> Enabled
Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl Mode -> IDE

Now everything is working again. Just that I don't have dual screen on my 6870 in Mountain Lion but it works when I'm in the install menu with my usb key.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
@Tseug, in Chameleon Wizard I have "org.chameleon.boot.plist not found!" and "SMbios.plist not found!". What can I do?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

@Tseug, in Chameleon Wizard I have "org.chameleon.boot.plist not found!" and "SMbios.plist not found!". What can I do?

Best option: Install from scratch. During the installation you get the option of migrating from a TimeMachine backup. Restore your user (and possibly some of the other stuff but my advice is to be conservative), then run finalize.

Other option: just run finalize and see if it works.

Whenever I reinstall the OS I only migrate my user. The rest is easily reinstalled manually. That has the added benefit of removing the crud that builds up over time in most operating systems.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
I must have that org.chameleon.boot.plist somewhere because my machine can boot. If I find it I can change some options maybe. I still got that annoying verbose level when booting...

What options are you taking when you do a restore with timemachine?

fukmondo

fukmondo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I have GA- P35-DS3P so first thanks tseug for your efforts and guides.
I have snow and lion and now mountain lion but I always have problems with sleep. It works on snow but not automaticaly, on lion it was working totally but after waking I would got KP after some time until with some instalations chimera and olarilla chameleon and then your chameleon again evertyhing start to work like it should but I do not know why.

Now again I have mountain and it goest to sleep but at wake it only restarts, I have no idea why. In the same time (this installations are on separate usb disks) lion sleep stops to work. As I see the solution and problem are somwhere in chameleon or chimera but I do not know why i have such problems every time with that board and sleep . VGA is gigabyte 5750 and evertyhing works fantastic except sleep. Can somebody help?

Thanks

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

I must have that org.chameleon.boot.plist somewhere because my machine can boot. If I find it I can change some options maybe. I still got that annoying verbose level when booting...

What options are you taking when you do a restore with timemachine?

As I already mentioned I reinstall and restore my user during the installation process. I would recommend that process on both real macs and on hackintoshes.

org.chameleon.boot.plist should reside in /Extra but i still recommend reinstalling.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

As I already mentioned I reinstall and restore my user during the installation process. I would recommend that process on both real macs and on hackintoshes.

org.chameleon.boot.plist should reside in /Extra but i still recommend reinstalling.

What is a good reinstallation? Just put the application in the bin and download and copy the application back to applications or just download an application who deletes te application automatically?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

What is a good reinstallation? Just put the application in the bin and download and copy the application back to applications or just download an application who deletes te application automatically?

I don't understand what you mean. With reinstallation I mean follow the guide and reinstall the OS. I don't think I can be any clearer.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

I don't understand what you mean. With reinstallation I mean follow the guide and reinstall the OS. I don't think I can be any clearer.

no sorry, I mean installation of an application not the os. I know how to install the OS. What is the correct way to uninstall an application in mac? Just drag the application to the trash bin or use an application that uninstall it for me?

fukmondo

fukmondo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

no sorry, I mean installation of an application not the os. I know how to install the OS. What is the correct way to uninstall an application in mac? Just drag the application to the trash bin or use an application that uninstall it for me?

You can do that but that lives some application files on the system some applications have theit own uninstal utillty, and you can have application like clean mymac that will do all that for you. Which applicatio is the best I do not know but some files always stay even than.

amanker

amanker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Does anyone tested this on ssd?

fukmondo

fukmondo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Nobody has any suggestions regarding to sleep? On lion and mountain lion after coming back from sleep I have random system halt sometimes almost in few minutes sometimes after few hours. In onepoint after numerous reinstallations chameleon and chimera lion works A ok. But now when I instal on another usb disk mountain lion i have problem with both systems, only snow leopard sleep works but not automatic sleep.

Any sugestions? Config is in the signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy