[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

tseug

201 posts in this topic

There seem to be an issue with building a bootable USB with 10.8.3. At least with my graphics card (Radeon 6870) the boot stops with a white screen. I don't know of any way to solve this so make sure you don't have this issue before deleting your <10.8.3 "Install Mac OS X" app.

• Like 1

I thought many of you might be looking to put the newest Bootcamp drivers on your machines (Which now officially support Windows 8).

The current file can be downloaded here:

http://support.apple...1638��-��Though make sure you are getting the latest by doing a google search for Apple Bootcamp Support; open page: then find a link to "Downloads" to find the most recent.

After I had gotten these files I tried to load them onto a CD first; and found they did not fit. Then I tried loading them on a USB; and also found that they would not install.

The following quick guide will get you up and running:

1) Take the folder from the zip archive (currently; BootCamp5.0.5033), and place it and its sub folders & Files at the root of your "C: Drive". -Where the Program Files and System Folder are loacted.

2) Go to the Start Screen (the new Windows 8 feature with all the Tiles and app launchers); find the tile for the "Command Prompt": Right-Click on it.

3) At the bottom of the screen click on the icon that says "Run as Administrator"

4) After the Command Prompt Launches; type this in the command Window: C: -Hit Return-

then: cd BootCamp5.0.5033\BootCamp -Hit Return-

then: setup.exe -Hit Return-

This will launch the installer with the "elevated Priveledges" which it will tell you it needs in an error prompt using other methods which do not work.

The Updated Drivers bring the Apple Keyboard sound screen icons back to Windows 8; which were missing, even though the keyboard worked with the old drivers.

I Hope others find this useful.

My Post was a modified version of info I had found here: http://www.iphoting....based-Macs.html

But updated to reflect the changes in Windows 8 new "Start Screen" behavior, vs. the Start Menu of previous Windows releases. If the Drivers change in the future; just make sure you update the file/folder paths as you direct the Command Prompt to find the setup file.

-Another Note: You can delete the folder you placed at the root of your C: drive after installation is completed and successfull.

Hi,

I succesfully installed Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion (each on an own WD Harddisk). Nearly everything works fine, but I do have 2 issues on Mountain Lion. 1. the system goes to sleep, but it doesn' t restart after pressing the power button. 2. It seems that Mountain Lion needs more time to start apps for the first time. Same when I open a folder or system preferences for the first time after booting the system (system preferences takes nearly 9 seconds). This happens only with Mountain Lion, not with Snow Leopard or Lion.

Any ideas?

Again thanks for the guide and the helpful postings.

I rerun finalize but I got this error:

Screen_Shot_2013_03_19_at_21_53_22.png

picture sharing

Any suggestions?

finalize was meant to run from the USB pen drive. If you want to run it directly you would need to "cd /Volumes/mLion/Users/ema/Desktop/install" first, but I still recommend running it from the USB drive.

yes, Thanks Tseug, I got it solved with manual kext installation.

I got a different issue.

With my videocard, a GeForce GT 520 2048 MB, when I attach the second display on vga port the computer power on regularly but no one display switch on.

Everyone communicate's Not Signal.

Neither the dvi one.

Do you know is a problem videocard related or something else?

Thanks

Hello everybody,

I have a N53SM notebook.

I have followed all steps.

And I have installed Lion on my notebook.

I have only one problem with graphic card.

I opened with (-x -v) mode and delete all old graphic kexts.

And with Kext Utility I have installed:

- AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

But when I rebooted after the gray screen with apple logo... I got black screen.

The system is ok, but the screen is totally black. I can listen the system sound.

After some tests, I undestood that the problem was AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

I logged with Windows partition and with MacDrive I deleted AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB directory in S/L/E and after

I could log in. But now I can use accelleration graphics.

Can someone help me?

Thanks you.

In system information my device graphic card has this ID: 0x0116

This are my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>InstantMenu</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>iHack</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>5600000001000000010000004a0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400240000004100410050004c00300030002c004400750061006c004c0069006e006b0000000800000001000000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And this is my smbios

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>04/22/11</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B0E.1104221557</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02HW643DH2G</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

finalize was meant to run from the USB pen drive. If you want to run it directly you would need to "cd /Volumes/mLion/Users/ema/Desktop/install" first, but I still recommend running it from the USB drive.

After update to 10.8.3, sound was broken on GA EP35-DS4. I wasn't sure if I should run finalize after booting from the USB or if I could just cd to /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/private/var/root/ and run it there with sudo ./finalise /Volume/MountainLion.

FWIW, I was booted in 10.8.3 and popped in the USB stick from the guide, and ran finalize there and rebooted.

Thanks for the tip on 10.8.3 not producing a working installer for now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This method was created (and tested) for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard but it should be relatively easy to modify for any other motherboard.

You will be creating a Boot USB that can be used to install OS X Mountain Lion on a Hackintosh (or a genuine mac for that matter).

Clean install

Prerequisites

A USB drive (8 GB) or a spare partition. We'll assume you'll use a USB device here

An install partition for OS X Mountain Lion. Let's call it MountainLion

A DSDT.aml (optional)

v2.1: install.zip

Directions

1. Buy and download Mac OS X Mountain Lion from the App Store.

2. In Disk Utility, format the USB as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and give it some name: We'll use Boot here but it can be anything. Make sure that "GUID Partition Table" is selected under "Options..."

3. If you already have a custom DSDT.aml you wish to use, add it to install/Extra/. Note that if you add a custom DSDT, it must be named DSDT.aml. If you don't add a DSDT, one will be created for you when you run finalize (See below). Although the included patcher was made to support GA-P35-DS4 it has also been confirmed to work well with a number of other Gigabyte boards similar to GA-P35-DS4. The method used by default is for ALC889A sound and requires a specific ID (layout ID 12) in your DSDT to work. There are more details in 'ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/Readme First.txt' included in install.zip and also available here

4. In Terminal:
    sudo install/mkboot /Volumes/Boot/

5. Boot your USB device and install Mountain Lion on /Volumes/MountainLion as you normally would.

6. Wait for the installation to finish. When your machine reboots in the end, boot onto the USB device again

7. Open up a terminal via the Utilities menu:
    ./finalize /Volumes/MountainLion

reboot

8. The USB device can now be ejected and OS X can be booted from the hard drive.

9. Once you've gone through creating or migrating accounts, open System Preferences -> Energy Saver and check the box by "Start up automatically after a power failure"

10. All done.

Sleep, network, and sound works on GA-P35-DS4. For a substantially different motherboard you'll need to modify mkboot and finalize appropriately.

------

How does it work?

mkboot is a bash script that installs Chameleon, the things needed from the Mountain Lion install app, and other tidbits to the target volume.

finalize is a bash script as well. It is copied over to the boot USB by mkboot and installs Chameleon etc. on the target volume.

Both scripts are commented and include links to the sources of the included software.

I'm a Terminal newbie. What to do?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Unix terminal :) Here are some extra instructions:

1. Once you've downloaded install.zip it should reside in the Downloads folder. Safari either unpacked it for you or you can do it yourself by double clicking the file.

2. Open a terminal. Write cd Downloads and press enter.

3. Copy and paste the command from step 4 in Directions and press enter.

Known Issues

A shutdown can in some situations cause OS X to warn that it has recovered from an error on the next boot. Apart from the warning this doesn't seem to causing any problems.

Troubleshooting

Make sure you are actually booting from the USB device. On Gigabyte, you can press F12 on POST to get a boot menu.

Error reporting

If you have problems please follow these guidelines when posting in this thread:

Report your hardware including motherboard and graphics card. Check whether the graphics card is reported as working in Mountain Lion by others.

Report whether you have made any modifications to the install package.

Report exactly when the error happens. On running the script? If so, which one? On booting the USB device? On booting the hard drive?

Report what you've already tried that didn't work.

Screenshots of the error are always helpful.

Following this helps me to pin down the error. It also helps you because you will most likely not get an answer otherwise ;)

very good informative and useful how-to, thanks :king:

• 1 month later...

Hi Tseug. I have followed you for few years and my Hackintosh serving me well.

But our GA-P35-DS4's are old now. Do you have a new board on your mind that would be easiest to serve as a Hackintosh?

Thanks Sir.

I would also love to move up to a new system with a Tseug guide has I have also been following him since leopard. I know this is really early but has anyone got a hold of the mavericks beta and give this a go?

I hace Acer-E1-571G

Core i3-3120M ivy bridge

4G RAM

NVDIA 710m with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM

Intel 4000 HD

500 GB HDD

I susccesfully Installed by USB made by own but after restart I put NullCp... and FaceSMC to /Volume/Mac/System/Lib... / Extention/ and reboot again,

system won't boot to complete registration and finish installation.

I have 2 NTFS Partition and 1 EXT4 and 1 Linux-Swap

I attached picture of stuck !

post-1068499-0-93164800-1371668964_thumb.jpg

End of the line

Unfortunately, my trusty GA-P35-DS4 died last week. As a result I won't be able to update this script anymore and a Mavericks version definitely won't be forthcoming (not from me at least). If anyone wants to take over feel free.

It's been fun :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a clean install, but normally it's better to use migration assistent to copy your users and start from there. I haven't tested it from Snow Leopard, so I don't know if it will work. You'd also need to tweak your script and probably your DSDT to get audio to work.

Dont update! Do a clean instalation.

I broke my install by doing an update.

Im now making an new snow leopard install trough ubuntu...

Unfortunately, my trusty GA-P35-DS4 died last week. As a result I won't be able to update this script anymore and a Mavericks version definitely won't be forthcoming [..]

Sorry to hear that. As someone else already asked: do you have plans to set up a new Hackintosh for yourself? I wouldn't mind piggyback riding on your choices then :)

How do I enter startup parameters (like -f or -x)?  I've tried typing them in on the screen that shows disks to boot from, but nothing seems to happen.  Do I need to edit a file?

Thanks -- trying to solve the "still waiting for boot device" problem and several possible solutions require startup parameters?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

End of the line

Unfortunately, my trusty GA-P35-DS4 died last week. As a result I won't be able to update this script anymore and a Mavericks version definitely won't be forthcoming (not from me at least). If anyone wants to take over feel free.

Just a thank you tseug from someone who has been using your scripts for a long time now, it has been fun. Good luck with everything in the future in and outside the Hackintosh world!  :)

I hace Acer-E1-571G

Core i3-3120M ivy bridge

4G RAM

NVDIA 710m with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM

Intel 4000 HD

500 GB HDD

I susccesfully Installed by USB made by own but after restart I put NullCp... and FaceSMC to /Volume/Mac/System/Lib... / Extention/ and reboot again,

system won't boot to complete registration and finish installation.

I have 2 NTFS Partition and 1 EXT4 and 1 Linux-Swap

I attached picture of stuck !

Try using SMBios.plist for MacMini6,1 or MacMini6,2 (system definitions)

• 3 weeks later...

End of the line

Damn it, mine runs fine all these years. It's an old board but Mountain Lion runs on it like a dream. I'm not gonna update any further (10.8.4) without your guide we screwed :(

Once again thanks, I was lucky enough to have same board as you all these years. Maybe it's time to buy real Mac.

Actually I was looking at new Mac Pro specs, its coming later this year as you know. GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI have potential for being great board to be hackintosh.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone would know why I get stuck here after all prior to that was done successfully?

Should I remove the airport card first or something?

X58A UD5

Original Airport card using an adaptor

Instead of a USB I am using a 10Gb partition

post-103383-0-77658700-1377962840_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...