[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

tseug

201 posts in this topic

This method was created (and tested) for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard but it should be relatively easy to modify for any other motherboard.

You will be creating a Boot USB that can be used to install OS X Mountain Lion on a Hackintosh (or a genuine mac for that matter).

Clean install

Prerequisites

A USB drive (8 GB) or a spare partition. We'll assume you'll use a USB device here

An install partition for OS X Mountain Lion. Let's call it MountainLion

A DSDT.aml (optional)

v2.1: install.zip

Directions

1. Buy and download Mac OS X Mountain Lion from the App Store.

2. In Disk Utility, format the USB as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and give it some name: We'll use Boot here but it can be anything. Make sure that "GUID Partition Table" is selected under "Options..."

3. If you already have a custom DSDT.aml you wish to use, add it to install/Extra/. Note that if you add a custom DSDT, it must be named DSDT.aml. If you don't add a DSDT, one will be created for you when you run finalize (See below). Although the included patcher was made to support GA-P35-DS4 it has also been confirmed to work well with a number of other Gigabyte boards similar to GA-P35-DS4. The method used by default is for ALC889A sound and requires a specific ID (layout ID 12) in your DSDT to work. There are more details in 'ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/Readme First.txt' included in install.zip and also available here

4. In Terminal:
    sudo install/mkboot /Volumes/Boot/

5. Boot your USB device and install Mountain Lion on /Volumes/MountainLion as you normally would.

6. Wait for the installation to finish. When your machine reboots in the end, boot onto the USB device again

7. Open up a terminal via the Utilities menu:
    ./finalize /Volumes/MountainLion

reboot

8. The USB device can now be ejected and OS X can be booted from the hard drive.

9. Once you've gone through creating or migrating accounts, open System Preferences -> Energy Saver and check the box by "Start up automatically after a power failure"

10. All done.

Sleep, network, and sound works on GA-P35-DS4. For a substantially different motherboard you'll need to modify mkboot and finalize appropriately.

------

How does it work?

mkboot is a bash script that installs Chameleon, the things needed from the Mountain Lion install app, and other tidbits to the target volume.

finalize is a bash script as well. It is copied over to the boot USB by mkboot and installs Chameleon etc. on the target volume.

Both scripts are commented and include links to the sources of the included software.

I'm a Terminal newbie. What to do?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Unix terminal :) Here are some extra instructions:

1. Once you've downloaded install.zip it should reside in the Downloads folder. Safari either unpacked it for you or you can do it yourself by double clicking the file.

2. Open a terminal. Write cd Downloads and press enter.

3. Copy and paste the command from step 4 in Directions and press enter.

Known Issues

A shutdown can in some situations cause OS X to warn that it has recovered from an error on the next boot. Apart from the warning this doesn't seem to causing any problems.

Troubleshooting

Make sure you are actually booting from the USB device. On Gigabyte, you can press F12 on POST to get a boot menu.

Error reporting

If you have problems please follow these guidelines when posting in this thread:

Report your hardware including motherboard and graphics card. Check whether the graphics card is reported as working in Mountain Lion by others.

Report whether you have made any modifications to the install package.

Report exactly when the error happens. On running the script? If so, which one? On booting the USB device? On booting the hard drive?

Report what you've already tried that didn't work.

Screenshots of the error are always helpful.

Following this helps me to pin down the error. It also helps you because you will most likely not get an answer otherwise ;)

Edited by tseug
  • Like 13

I have Snow Leopard installed, does this method remove everything I have and start a new? Or can it upgrade Snow Leopard?

This is a clean install, but normally it's better to use migration assistent to copy your users and start from there. I haven't tested it from Snow Leopard, so I don't know if it will work. You'd also need to tweak your script and probably your DSDT to get audio to work.

@Tseug - Thanks for your work -

Just tried few times.

The installation process's gone as expected; later I modified my org.Boot.list acordingly with the same one working in LIon 10.7.4

If I leave the arch=i386 and pmVersion=21 kernel flags inserted the system doesn't load at all; if I delete those lines the system load and remains stuck at the IOHCIControlle of bluetooth something....

Any suggestion?

Note that the "arch=i386" flag tells the kernel to boot in legacy 32-bit mode and mountain lion is 64-bit only.

Remove the pmVersion flag and ensure you don't have sleepenabler installed (delete it if you do).

Now whatever problem you are getting on boot will be related to the 64-bit boot and you'll have to research how to fix it / post a screenshot to the forum for someone to help you.

arch=i386 was a nice bodge for those with only 32-bit support for some hardware but that fix won't work for you anymore.

Also judging by your post turning off bluetooth in BIOS could be a good place to start.

I had downloaded Install OS X Mountain Lion.dmg file and now were do I put the files of this image in my disk so that the install/mkboot script could grab it?

Thanks in advance

The steps are the same on the previous Tseug Guide for Mountain, you can follow them here

Be sure to have copied the Install Mountain Lion.app in your /applications folder.Later, launch the install/mkboot script from inside the install folder previously created.

That's it.

:smoke:

I have a small (I hope) problem with the installation. The USB stick boots fine but then suddenly the screen goes black and nothing happens.

I'm using a Nvidia GTX 260 - could there be a problem with this card and the installer?

Previous Installations using Tseug's guides always went fine.

Any idea?

I have a small (I hope) problem with the installation. The USB stick boots fine but then suddenly the screen goes black and nothing happens.

I'm using a Nvidia GTX 260 - could there be a problem with this card and the installer?

Previous Installations using Tseug's guides always went fine.

Any idea?

Try setting GraphicsEnabler to Yes in /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Let me know if it works and I will change the installer (I probably will anyway. It was actually a mistake on my part)

Finaly I had installed Mountain Lion!!! But now I have no iCloud!!

When I login to my icloud accout I get this message: "This Apple ID is valid but not an iCloud account"

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks

"What I just realized, for me, there isn't any message from FakeSMC.kext showing up on boot, like it was in SnowLeopard. I'll try a different FakeSMC next..."

Some other version from another ML install package (dunno which) is giving me status report, but still no boot after install.

I started all over - it's working on tseug's DS4, so why shouldn't it on mine - and recognized, that the ruby framework isn't doing its job in finalize script. I compiled a DSDT.aml on my own and now the sound assertion errors are gone. Still no boot.

Something which gives me to think: the new install isn't caching the kexts, even if I boot with '-f'...

What else could I try?

GA35-DS4 BIOS F14, Q6600, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT520, Snow Leo working perfectly!

v2.1 released 2012-07-31

* Removed special org.chameleon.Boot.plist for installer boot

Guide updated: edited error reporting section. Please read!

Some other version from another ML install package (dunno which) is giving me status report, but still no boot after install.

I started all over - it's working on tseug's DS4, so why shouldn't it on mine - and recognized, that the ruby framework isn't doing its job in finalize script. I compiled a DSDT.aml on my own and now the sound assertion errors are gone. Still no boot.

Something which gives me to think: the new install isn't caching the kexts, even if I boot with '-f'...

What else could I try?

GA35-DS4 BIOS F14, Q6600, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT520, Snow Leo working perfectly!

I haven't tested install from Snow Leopard - only Lion. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a SL install and VMWare Fusion won't play nice. As you say, one can use patcher.rb directly in Snow Leopard and put the resulting DSDT.aml in install/Extra. That should sidestep the need for Ruby on the install USB. Did you use the included patcher or did you create one on your own?

Try the new installer and check out herbalb's post.

How are you all purchasing Mountain Lion? I have gone through the app store and It's telling me its not compatible with this computer (the one in the sig) Are you using a genuine Mac?

Works here. Maybe your smbios is reporting a unsupported product. Try the smbios.plist included in the install package.

Finaly I had installed Mountain Lion!!! But now I have no iCloud!!

When I login to my icloud accout I get this message: "This Apple ID is valid but not an iCloud account"

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks

I've heard two things that been reported as having a difference in iCloud. One was to set EthernetBuiltIn to Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. The other was to create/generate a new serial and put it in the smbios.plist. The serial format and serial generators can be googled.

Almost dead..

Tried with different org.Boot.plist, the one working under Lion and others, but I no succeded on going over this screenshot..no idea at all.

When used arch=i386 the boot process doesn't start at all, I return at the boot screen only.

IMG_20120731_213335.jpg

Almost dead..

Tried with different org.Boot.plist, the one working under Lion and others, but I no succeded on going over this screenshot..no idea at all.

When used arch=i386 the boot process doesn't start at all, I return at the boot screen only.

IMG_20120731_213335.jpg

There is no 32-bit kernel in Mountain Lion. Since you relied on this to install on Lion, you might be out of luck with your current graphics card.

There is no 32-bit kernel in Mountain Lion. Since you relied on this to install on Lion, you might be out of luck with your current graphics card.

ohi ohi..I was worried about this possibility...

Poor me..Have any good cheap one graphic card to suggest me, possibly on nVidia brand?

Thanks Tseug.

the DSDT patcher errors out with this:

Done Handling HDEF Device (ALC889A)

Handling SATA...

patcher.rb:697:in `patch_sata': NO IDE1 Device found (RuntimeError)

from patcher.rb:468:in `patch'

from patcher.rb:506:in `verbose'

from patcher.rb:451:in `patch'

from patcher.rb:788

this is on a GA-EP45-UD3R with Cartri BIOS

thanks,

-dev

the DSDT patcher errors out with this:

Done Handling HDEF Device (ALC889A)

Handling SATA...

patcher.rb:697:in `patch_sata': NO IDE1 Device found (RuntimeError)

from patcher.rb:506:in `verbose'

from patcher.rb:451:in `patch'

from patcher.rb:788

this is on a GA-EP45-UD3R with Cartri BIOS

thanks,

-dev

The patcher was made for GA-P35-DS4. Some people reported success on other motheboards but it's not a given. You need to roll your own DSDT.

Hi,

Weird news for all of you with problems booting the finished install. Seems like it's got something to do with the graphics, I guess you got a nVidia card, huh?

For me, with my GeForce GT 520, deleting all the NV* kexts helped. I'm now trying to put my device-id in the NVDAGF100Hal.kext. Maybe that'll help. I don't think there will be any hardware acceleration without appropriate kexts... We'll see. And if that goes wrong, I'm gonna get myself an ATI card :-)

EDIT: Got some kexts from here. These work just fine for me.

Thanks again tseug!