XFX 6870 2GB issue (VRAM Maxed out)

Dajjal

10 posts in this topic

Guru's i need some help/advise :withstupid:

I'm having a hard time getting the Pics to show properly so plz dont be annoyed when i link to TMacx with the Details. :tomato:

Basically my XFX 6870 2GB version is maxing out the Vram with nothing actually running as confirmed with iStat.If i switch my 4870 it's working as it should.The system it's running on is

GA-Z77X-UD5H | 3770k | XFX HD-687X-CNFC ( 2 GB Single Fan)

Here is the Tm thread i created......

http://www.tonymacx8...its-memory.html

There's nothing wrong with your card, just with iStat. It's not reporting the correct values, I don't know of a fix for that but don't worry about it!

for fan and overall better performance, see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275546 but it won't change iStat afaik

Hmmmm cause after swapping the card and placing my trusted 4870 in the system, iStat reported it correctly so i was like, ok summ is surely wrong :worried_anim: .Do you know of any other way to Properly detect how much VRAM it's using?Thanks for your Help :wink2: . Seems as though the Hack route is slowly starting to diminish as the days go by.........

well, if istat showing video ram is what matters to you, than yeah, OSX is horrible :) Put it this way, you have 2 gigs on that card--IT WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF RAM available vram is meaningless anyway, it won't change anything performance wise by having a little in use or almost all of it in use, it won't page out to like system memory. If you did "run out" it would crash the computer.

It's not the Holy Grail for me, i tried atMonitor and got No reading as well, so i just thought that maybe due to this Newer Chipset MB, there was an issue like so many other things.Thanks again.........Bless

Could be an istat bug because as far as I know, maxing out a 2gb vram memory buffer is not an easy task to do unless you're really forcing the system to somehow eat up all of that without gaming.

If the system doesn't feel sluggish then I'm pretty sure like eep357 said you'll "NEVER RUN OUT OF RAM."

It can be board specific, remember iStat is written for Mac hardware so expects a certain layout. Smbios can also effect this. I've had my vram meter full since I don't know what version, but it was from an istat update. In the past I've taken the parts of different iStat versions that worked or worked better and substituted them into the app giving me a frankenStat that worked really well, but I stopped caring a while ago.

iirc istat 2.0 which was the last truly free version and a bit hard to find, had everything working but network status. It would not run on Lion though unless you swapped out the menu.cracker from the newer paid version, once done it worked and would show GPU ram correctly. Could then swap the network.menu part for the new one and be good to go. It did trigger the 15day trial without a license, but I have paid for it and have a paid license. There was a reason I didn't copy the memory monitor from 2.0 to the new one instead, but don't remember.