Dell Bios, AHCI/RAID, SSD

86 posts in this topic

I have installed ML to a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop that was running Lion on a SATA HDD. I had AppleIntePIIXATA kext in the E/E folder that allowed me to use the hard drive in IDE mode.

For ML, I have added an SSD into the mix. I can have it recognized, installed and booting with the same set of kexts (and DSDT) I used for Lion. Which means I have to have the SATA mode set to IDE. However, when running from SSD, I am supposed to enable TRIM commands and I have no success doing that when running under IDE mode.

Dell bios does not have an AHCI enable setting. It uses RAID to enable AHCI. But when I set the SATA mode to RAID, it gets stuck at [PCI Hardware detection begin] or whatever the message is called. Before you say it, I have tried the npci=0x2000 switch and that does not make a difference. I am guessing it is stuck at finding the SSD but not having any luck. This is confirmed by switching the SATA mode to IDE. It boots up fine in that mode.

There is a post on these forums that talks about using AHCIPortInjector.kext. I have copied it to the E/E folder. But I am supposed to remove the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and when I do that, I cannot boot at all (RAID or IDE mode). Then I have to boot back in Lion and restore the kexts. I have spent a lot of time experimenting today and I am stuck for any ideas now. If I get some ideas here, I will try them tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

If that is where it's stuck and repeating PCI Configuration Begin, try: PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

or: PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000

or just: npci=0x3000

If it's sits there and after a minute or two says Still waiting on Root Device, which would make more sense, see here: About "Still waiting for root device"

• Like 1

Thanks eep, I will try the PCI Root UID switch and see if it gets past the PCI Configuration begin message.

Latin, I don't have a problem with orange icons (yet). Do you think the ESB2 fix in dsdt helps with recognizing the drive properly in RAID mode? I have learned that RAID mode turns on AHCI in Dell's Bios. And I need AHCI to enable TRIM properly on my SSD.

The wrong PCI root should also be addressed by the boot switch suggested above by eep. I will try it as a boot switch first. Thanks.

its called orange icon fix in dsdt editor patches.. it uses device id 2681 for ahci instead of the ide mode.

make a dsdt with orange icon patch and set bios raid and it works... dunno about ssdt. what bios version 1.0.18 ?

My Bios is 1.0.15 but I can upgrade if that is needed for this to work.

I will try the dsdt patch in a little bit. But what kexts do I need to make it work? There is a AHCIPortInjector.kext floating around which has the orange icon patch in it. Is that going to help?

Do I need to delete the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (and IOATAFamily.kext) from my E/E folder? Here is what I currently have:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

My sleep, restart etc also doesn't work on Lion or ML since the time I had to switch my power supply. Thanks for your help.

eep, thanks so much again. using the PCIRootUID=1 switch did the trick and it got stuck at the Waiting for root device just like you said it would. And the link you gave for that fix (how clairvoyant of you!) was the ticket. I already had the AHCIPortInjector.kext in the right place so all that was left for me was to try the LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and that did the trick.

Sata mode is now RAID, TRIM is enabled and Mountain Lion is usable now. I still have that power supply issue which causes it to restart instead of shutdown and sleep doesn't work yet, but I can wait for fixing those things.

Thanks for your help.

Latin, I was going to download and install the patch next, but this worked so I don't have to. I will focus on looking for a fix for shutdown/restart next. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

If you did want to switch to ESB2, the device ID 2681 is flopped when putting into DSDT, would look like this:

Device (SATA)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

your other problems should also be fixable with DSDT edits and make sure nullcpupowermanagement.kext removed. may need to patch appleRTC.kext too but not sure on Dell

if u remove nullcpupower .. u also need to enable GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates and remove sleepenabler

have bios 1.0.18 and the dsdt fixes for USB .. ive posted dsdt arround

the only files really needed are

chameleon 2.1

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

VoodooHDA.kext (remove (HDEF) in dsdt)

the dsdt needs Device (PCI0) _UID, 0x00

usb patched (its ich9) and usb5 removed (also in _GPE)

remove in dsdt the internal IGD (integrated graphics display)

who needs this ??? AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

who needs this ??? AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

Oh that is my Gigabit PCI Network card. Forget the brand but that is why I added that.

I will have to do some reading on generating those states and patching DSDT again. I will do that slowly...

I will update the Bios to 1.0.18 tomorrow. But I am attaching a copy of my dsdt.aml zipped. I will delete the null cpu pm and sleep enabler kexts. And I can do the generate p states and c states checkbox in Chameleon Wizard. But I am not sure how to do the other things you mentioned to the dsdt. I don't think I am using the voodooHDA either since I have a USB to Optical dongle for sound but I would like to keep my internal sound card working just in case.

If you could find some time to modify my dsdt I would appreciate it. It would be great to get sleep and shutdown/restart working on this thing. With the new SSD ML install, I could easily push this hackintosh for another year or two.

Thanks in advance.

dsdt.aml.zip

I am in a very similar spot as yellowguy. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 1.0.18 and a Vostro 400 1.0.15. Both use the same Foxconn g33m03 motherboard. I am trying to set the Vostro 400 up with ML and keep running into waiting on root. I have a working Lion install that was done with iatkos L2 but want to do a clean install of ML using my App store purchased ML. I used myhack to create the boot USB and added IOATAFamily.kext to allow the installer see my drive in IDE mode but after doing a clean install I cannot get it to see me drive in either IDE or RAID. I've made sure the same kexts are in the installer's extra and on the ML drive's extra. I don't have a DSDT for either the Inspiron or the Vostro yet. Is there a kext that I can use to get the system going? yellowguy, could you post your extras? I am trying to get away from the mess that my previous installs were.

LatinMcG, first, thanks for your DSDT and BIOS help! I have been reading your posts and my 1.0.15 Vostro Slic BIOS is one you posted on another forum.

As far as I know, 1.0.15 is the latest for the Vostro 400

Thanks for any assistance!

Toonces I will zip and post my extra folder in a few minutes. But first I want to thank Latin McG. I deleted null cpu, open halt restart and sleep enabler kexts. I checked the generate states check boxes in Chameleon Wizard and that took care of the shutdown problem. It now shuts down when asked to. It also sleeps when asked to but it does not shut off all the fans and the power button light stays solid blue (does not blink amber). To be honest I never saw sleep work before so I don't know. And it recovers from sleep without any issues.

I am very happy with what I've got now. Thank you all for your help.

Toonces I will zip and post my extra folder in a few minutes. But first I want to thank Latin McG. I deleted null cpu, open halt restart and sleep enabler kexts. I checked the generate states check boxes in Chameleon Wizard and that took care of the shutdown problem. It now shuts down when asked to. It also sleeps when asked to but it does not shut off all the fans and the power button light stays solid blue (does not blink amber). To be honest I never saw sleep work before so I don't know. And it recovers from sleep without any issues.

I am very happy with what I've got now. Thank you all for your help.

needs more patchign in dsdt .. usb and irq's. ill post in next 24 hrs

in meantime.. save as .dsl and compare it with a text tool to the dsdt ive made and you'll see differences

Using Yellowguy's extra I was able to get booted into a clean myhack install of ML. I was able to boot without his DSDT and dumped my Vostro 400's DSDT which is attached. LatinMcG, if it's not too much to ask, could you please take a look at it and make any patches needed? I understand the Orange Icon fix but the others may be needed I am not sure about. My video is HD 5770 which shows correctly using GraphicsEnabler.

The contents of my /E/E/:

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

lspcidrv.kext (added by myhack)

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext (added by myhack)

ApplePS2Controller.kext (added by myhack)

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (added by myhack)

I am pretty sure I don't need the ones added by myhack, they are part of the generic kexts added by default to all installs.

Thanks again to Yellowguy and LatinMcG! I really appreciate your assistance. I've been messing with ML for the last 2 days and got farther in the last 2 hours than the previous 2 days :D

Vostro400DSDT.zip

Using Yellowguy's extra I was able to get booted into a clean myhack install of ML. I was able to boot without his DSDT and dumped my Vostro 400's DSDT which is attached. LatinMcG, if it's not too much to ask, could you please take a look at it and make any patches needed? I understand the Orange Icon fix but the others may be needed I am not sure about. My video is HD 5770 which shows correctly using GraphicsEnabler.

The contents of my /E/E/:

fakesmc.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

lspcidrv.kext (added by myhack)

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext (added by myhack)

ApplePS2Controller.kext (added by myhack)

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (added by myhack)

I am pretty sure I don't need the ones added by myhack, they are part of the generic kexts added by default to all installs.

Thanks again to Yellowguy and LatinMcG! I really appreciate your assistance. I've been messing with ML for the last 2 days and got farther in the last 2 hours than the previous 2 days :D

these are not needed.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (orangeIcon Fix)

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext (orangeIcon Fix dsdt patch fixes it. set bios to raid)

PlatformUUID.kext (outdated.. fixed in chameleon 2.0 rc5)

a sata port wont work for hdd in 3, only dvd (untested properly.. 2 yrs ago)

0, 1 , 2 work fine.

use chameleon wizard or champlist to fake MacPro3,1

patched vostro 400.. same as 530 from what i see

dsdt.aml.zip

Thanks Latin. I would be able to try this only on TUesday so I'll let you know then. Thanks so much.

Quick question, there are a couple of people reporting on these forums that the orange icon patch in the dsdt trashed their hard drives. Do you think using the kexts is any safer than the dsdt hack?

these are not needed. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (orangeIcon Fix) LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext (orangeIcon Fix dsdt patch fixes it. set bios to raid) PlatformUUID.kext (outdated.. fixed in chameleon 2.0 rc5) a sata port wont work for hdd in 3, only dvd 0, 1 , 2 work fine. use chameleon wizard or champlist to fake MacPro3,1 patched vostro 400.. same as 530 from what i see

Thanks! I removed the referenced kexts and using the attached dsdt.aml, I am getting waiting on root device. I have verified my bios is still set for RAID. My HDD is connected to SATA0 and my DVD is on SATA1. SATA 3&4 are not present and Sata 4 & 5 are empty. If I move the kexts back, I boot up to the desktop. My boot plist is set for MacPro 3,1.

If I set my BIOS to IDE, I am able to get to the desktop using this DSDT.

Any ideas?

Actually, I just found it. the DSDT had x28 x28 for the device id. I changed it per your earlier instructions and it's all working! Thanks Again Latin! You're help has been invaluable!!! I have attached the corrected DSDT for anyone looking for a good working Vostro 400 DSDT under 10.8. This is for the G33M03 motherboard with 1.0.15 BIOS.

V400dsdt.zip

• Like 1

the issue was with their bios/chipset/hdd .. i have never seen issues with insp 530 and ESB2 driver.

if u notice i trimmed SAT0 compared to original.

hows the sleep.. should work from pressing mouse or keyboard (i think)

the issue was with their bios/chipset/hdd .. i have never seen issues with insp 530 and ESB2 driver.

if u notice i trimmed SAT0 compared to original.

hows the sleep.. should work from pressing mouse or keyboard (i think)

I saw the changes but the device I'd was a typo? I corrected it according to what you posted earlier in the thread and everything works perfectly! Sleep works a well as shut down. Previously it always rebooted even when choosing shut down.

Thanks again! I appreciate your help.

• Like 1