Time Machine Errors - Is this a DSDT problem?

2 posts in this topic

Hi

I installed Mountain Lion on my Hackintosh t'other day. Everything was going swimmingly until a string of Time Machine problems.

The problem is :

Time Machine will back up a few times and then spit out the following error messages:

26/07/2012 02:56:27.987 com.apple.backupd[4989]: Starting automatic backup
26/07/2012 02:56:28.120 com.apple.backupd[4989]: Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb
26/07/2012 02:56:28.325 com.apple.backupd[4989]: Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/Hackintosh size:37
26/07/2012 02:56:28.326 com.apple.backupd[4989]: Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/Hackintosh size:37
26/07/2012 02:56:38.340 com.apple.backupd[4989]: Backup failed with error: 2

Now this appears to be a problem lots of people are experiencing on Genuine Apple products - but I have never had this error message, on Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion.

After the error message is thrown up, the external disk has to be forcefully ejected. Once remounted, Time Machine will back up for a few times, then the error comes up again!.

A few people on Apple forums have said that setxattr failing is an indication of drive failure. Unfortunately, when I installed ML, I decided to swap the hard drive used for Time Machine to another drive, that has been connected to my computer but virtually unused, for about 18 months. When using the drive in the past I have never had any problems with it.

As far as how I am set up, I am using a DSDT, but It was compiled by someone else so I couldn't for the life of you tell me what is in there. I am using Chameleon R18xx I think it is.

Anyone have any ideas? Cheers

Incidentally,

I moved the drive from one IcyBox 2bay enclosure, to another exact same model enclosure, and Time Machine seems to be working now. Knowing my luck it will {censored} out within an hour of posting this though :P