lion 10.7.4 AMD AthlonII ECS sleep wake

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Some feedback (sorry i didn't posted before, since i changed focus a little to mountain lion and graphics issues):

With my AMD, you're right about the problem being graphics-related (thank you both a lot!), and i discovered using the connected server method that my graphics wasn't waking. Any suggestion of fixes?

With Atom, i tried a more conservative approach, like suggested by james (thanks!) with various different sleepenablers (using voodoo power mini, so i could get rid of nullpowermanagement), to no avail. The auto sleep doesn't work, pressing the power switch calls a dialog box with four options, sleep among them, but chosing this option only "sleep" the screen and pause iTunes (sleep with quotes, because screen freezes at the last image exihibited), as does the option at the apple menu. Using the hotkey (fn+f2) gives me an outright shutdown, and a header size error when booting after this shutdown (but the system boots fine besides the error). The patched RTC with conti's method (myhack) solved the CMOS reset.

So now i'm prepared to follow eep's advice and go catch my patch. That's all!

Once again, thank you for the help.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

With my AMD, you're right about the problem being graphics-related (thank you both a lot!), and i discovered using the connected server method that my graphics wasn't waking. Any suggestion of fixes?

What graphics card do you have?
You may need a kext or 2.

With Atom, i tried a more conservative approach, like suggested by james (thanks!) with various different sleepenablers (using voodoo power mini, so i could get rid of nullpowermanagement), to no avail.

When using VoodooPowerMini you need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement which negates the use of NullCPUPowerManagement.
Just remove them both and rely on VoodooPowerMini, use chameleon to generate your c+p states for you (set in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist)

The auto sleep doesn't work,

This may be fixed by following my advice on your last problem. Or you may need to patch your DSDT.

pressing the power switch calls a dialog box with four options, sleep among them, but chosing this option only "sleep" the screen and pause iTunes (sleep with quotes, because screen freezes at the last image exihibited), as does the option at the apple menu. Using the hotkey (fn+f2) gives me an outright shutdown, and a header size error when booting after this shutdown (but the system boots fine besides the error).

This will be a DSDT edit.
Use DSDT Editor to extract your DSDT then patch the relevant sections.
You can download patches to apply to your DSDT, just use google.
If you get stuck just post in the DSDT sub-forum and I'm sure someone will help you if you ask nicely.

The patched RTC with conti's method (myhack) solved the CMOS reset.

This is just a perl script. Conti is not the author, he just included an already patched AppleRTC in myhack.
Glad you got it sorted but use the perl script next time. You will need to re-patch after most major updates, i.e. 10.7.5, 6 or any subsequent update.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Hi, James! Thank you for the answer. My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce G210, 1gb ddr3. Works oob with GraphicsEnabler=Y.

As for the Atom sleep issues, i totally overlooked the c and p states options. Worth a try! I'd already removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
Try booting with DarkWake=0 or DarkWake=No
DarkWake=0 doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the Chameleon documentation but it works on my system whereas DarkWake=No doesn't.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Thank you very much indeed, James! Darkwake worked like a charm in my AMD system.

As for Atom, could you please provide a link to the sleepenabler that you use to get sleep working in your netbook? I tried quite a lot of them - i'm on 10.7.4 - and nothing worked. I tried the c and p states, but had no perceptible change. Thank you.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
Cool, well done. Did you use DarkWake 0 or No (just out of interest)

I can give you the sleep enabler I use but I use it on 10.6.8. My atom is an n270 so is only 32 bit and won't reliable run lion. It's actually my girlfriends netbook so don't want it crashing on her all the time because she'll only moan...more!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
DarkWake=0.

Thank you for the answer, James. I'm afraid the dsdt patching patch is the only left. But there's one last question before starting to patch: I did remove NullCPUPowerManagement indeed, as well as AppleIntelPowerManagement. But i left alone the kext AppleIntelPowerManagementClient, since it appears to do no harm. Could it have something to do with the lack of sleeping capability in my Atom netbook?

Thanks!

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
I'm not sure about that one, you could always back it up to your desktop and remove it to see.
It's easy enough to restore using an install disk/USB if things go wrong.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
I'll try it! Thank you!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts

After a month trying to patch my dsdt so sleep works in my Atom netbook, still no joy...

I successfully dealt with those errors of the last post of mine, which used to prevent me from effectively compile my patches. Oldnapalm point me the solution for it: i had to add DTGP patch, so i did it and finally compiled my first patched dsdt. The problem is that the patch that supposedly could grant my computer sleep/speedstep capabilities simply showed no result. Better saying, gave me a kernel panic (ACPI, non-supported CPU) when i removed nullCPUpowermanagement.kext and sleepenabler.kext. from S/L/E/. I tried other related patches to no avail.

In the meantime, i tried some "conservative" fixes for sleep/speedstep: VodooPowerMini (no result), a lot of sleep enablers (including the newest, sleepenableruniversal.kext), using the sleep enablers with the couple NullCPU, AppleCPU, with Voodoo alone, with voodoo+AppleCPU+NullCPU. Tried an heterodox fix i found in the Clover development thread (altering some info in the IOfamily kext plugin for the model of Mac my smBIOS assigned to my netbook). Any combination of those tries and fixes either didn't change a iota or messed with my system altogether.

I should've thrown the towel, but i'm not the one giving up here, so i return to dsdt, but still no positive results. Can someone take a look at my "virgin" dsdt, so to advise me on possible solutions for my problem? I'm not lazy and i'm not wanting nobody to do my job, but any light on the issue would help me a lot, because i'm simply stuck with this problem. Tried the ICH7 fix with and without the "conservative" methods above, but made no advances.

I uploaded my unedited dsdt.aml. Thank you for any bit of advice.

Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   16.22KB   1 downloads

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
With any of your above attempts, have you tried rolling back AppleACPIPlatform kext to version from Snow Leo?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Hi, eeep! Thank you for answering me!

You're asking me about any of my dsdt attempts to use native power management? No, i didn't, since i was already in Mountain Lion when started to patch my dsdt. In fact, i'm using an APCI rollback (from 10.8.0) since i updated the system to 10.8.2, but this rollback, i think, is needed for all hackintoshes, right?

However, you may be asking about my "conservative" attempts, using legacy kexts, when i was running Lion. No, i didn't roll back. I tried all those legacy kexts in Mountain Lion, too, to no avail. Should i give a shot to the combination of legacy kexts/Snow Leo ACPI rollback with Mountain Lion? If it's the case, what's the combination of kexts do you advise me?

Should i try it? Could it be compatible with ML anyhow?

Thank you very much indeed, eeep!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Here, try this one AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip , not needed on all 10.8 hackintosh, but quite a few. Since your using AMD and Atom it may or may not help, but might work better with patched kernel and shouldn't cause any problems to try.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Downloaded it, eeep: thank you very much! Now, what do i do? Use it together with sleep enabler? Or with voodoopowermini? Both? Or i patch my dsdt again with ich7 fix and i'll have native power management? Sorry so many questions, but i'm really lost here.

P.S.: i have already an ACPI rollback in my Atom 10.8.2 hackbook: that rollback was necessary because of a change in the kernel that made it have incompatibilities with fakeSMC (more precisely, osmBIOS.kext). Will this older kext be a good replacement to the one already have, with the plus of enabling native power management?

Thank you, eeep! Much appreciated, really!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
You would simply replace the one that's there. It's an older one from SL which is needed to fix ML for many users, where trying to use ones from Lion don't seem to work. So maybe it also help you to use that older one as well instead of one from Lion. So just rolling it back a bit further than you already have is all.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Thanks, eeep!

In fact, the one i'm using is the one uploaded by the user unixservice in the topic "10.8.2 Final (C54)". With that ACPI kext, my system is already running very smoothly, except for the annoying sleep issues and another one related to restart/reboot. That's why i made so many questions: i must confess that i'm afraid to mess my whole system just by trying to fix sleep. But i think i'll just give it a try. :)

Thanks again!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Looks like that one is new version patched to fix boot issues. You may have better luck with the older one, and you may not see any difference. Only one way to know. If by chance you ever install a kext that prevent's booting, be it now or in the years to come, and don't have a way to access the HD, as long as you make backup copies of replaced kext first, you can switch them back either from single user mode or if that won't work, from terminal in the installer then reboot with -f so cached version doesn't try to load still.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Thanks again, eeep!

In fact i think i'm very well prepared for this possibility, and it was thanks to it that i managed to make so much experiences and troubleshooting until this day: i have a full installation of Mountain Lion 10.8 in a 16GB USB stick. Slow as hell, takes an eternity to start up, but has, besides a working 10.8 running with the first 12.0 patched by meklort, also a comprehensive set of troubleshooting utilities that i collected during my (short) time of hackintoshing. So it would not be the end if it does not boot but, if you forgive the lousy pun, it would be a pain in the OS. :)

I'll give it a try ASAP, eeep! Thank you very much for the advice and the upload. :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
Eeep, thank you very much! :)

The sleep issues are still unresolved, but the older APCI kext solved my shutdown/restart issues, and appears to have shortened the boot time. Now, back to the sleep fixes!

Thank you once more!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Glad to hear it did some good one way or another!

Take a look and see if anything might be preventing sleep, in terminal type
pmset -g assertions
also right after attempting to sleep, check the console log. Keep in mind, as long as NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is installed, sleep will never work, so you'll still need to be able to boot without it first. Don't know atom's very well, but maybe SSDT tables in /Extra could help

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lion, 10.7.4, AMD, AthlonII, ECS, sleep, wake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy