Before I go off installing SL... 64-bit Kexts?

Braixen

3 posts in this topic

I've installed Snow Leopard a few times before, but not with the joy of 64-bit mode, potentially not allowing me to use most apps from the App Store when upgrading to 10.6.7.

I want to know if 64-bit kexts exist for the following:

• Intel GMA 950
  • Realtek 8187B (close enough to that "model number") for my Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter
  • Realtek ALC888
  • (not needed but would be great) Intel ICH7 chipset

Kexts.com helps a lot but not by much. If you want to know which mobo it is, it's a P5LP-LE from Asus.

I've installed Snow Leopard a few times before, but not with the joy of 64-bit mode, potentially not allowing me to use most apps from the App Store when upgrading to 10.6.7.

I want to know if 64-bit kexts exist for the following:

• Intel GMA 950
  • Realtek 8187B (close enough to that "model number") for my Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter
  • Realtek ALC888
  • (not needed but would be great) Intel ICH7 chipset

Kexts.com helps a lot but not by much. If you want to know which mobo it is, it's a P5LP-LE from Asus.

I also have a P5LP-LE motherboard and am wondering the same thing. I have a HP m7757c MediaCenter and used this installation method. What I really wonder is if using DSDT editing instead of kexts would get around the whole 32/64 bit issue.

Have you done any DSDT editing? I have only used DSDT Editor, but it was easy and worked well. Your setup is ideal for it because there are already pre-made patches for all of your components. I have tried the GMA950 patch here on a Dell, and I know that it works. I was not able to get the ALC888 DSDT patch to work on my HP, but you might have better luck with it.

I also have a P5LP-LE motherboard and am wondering the same thing. I have a HP m7757c MediaCenter and used this installation method. What I really wonder is if using DSDT editing instead of kexts would get around the whole 32/64 bit issue.

Have you done any DSDT editing? I have only used DSDT Editor, but it was easy and worked well. Your setup is ideal for it because there are already pre-made patches for all of your components. I have tried the GMA950 patch here on a Dell, and I know that it works. I was not able to get the ALC888 DSDT patch to work on my HP, but you might have better luck with it.

Have you tried VoodooHDA? That's what was installed on my Hackintosh before I moved back to Windows XP (it's an old PC, but hey, Snow Leo supports it very well for an old machine)

Will try this, by the way. Thanks for the help, and that HP has near enough the same specs as my Compaq, except my sound wasn't made by Conexant, it just says Realtek (Intel may have been part of it)

This'll also be my first multiboot scenario if I'm lucky.