EasyBCD, GPU and RAM problems

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Got a few problems

EasyBCD: I've got 10.6 running but I can't seem to get it to boot using Chameleon. I've tried to use C: as the boot drive, no dice. E: (second HDD) as the boot drive, still nothing. The problem is that it doesn't show my Hackintosh drive. I have the MBR created by EasyBCD on both hard drives.

GPU: I have both an AMD 6970 and a nVidia 560 (560 for the hack) but it wants to display out of the 6970. I have both cards connected so I don't have to keep swapping the cables so I was wondering if there was a way of disabling the 6970 (because of the low resolutions) and use the 560 instead. Also, where do I find the drivers for my 560? I remember reading that you can get the Quadro drivers and change some thing but I can't find the post.

RAM: OS X only detects 2GB of my 8GB of RAM. Any fix for this?

Thanks,

Ninja!

• 5 weeks later...

You can't use the 560 with Snow Leopard, there is no driver support. You need Lion or above for 5xx cards.

So should I try to get an equivalent 4xx series card?

easybcd uses mini chameleon to boot... are you saying you can't get into 10.6 at all? or you can, but you're trying to change the bootloader to chameleon?

I'm trying to add OS X as an entry in EasyBCD but it always says Chain booting error

I'm trying to add OS X as an entry in EasyBCD but it always says Chain booting error

You can try to put boot0md in the place of the MBR record (the one created by EasyBCD on the disk, for OSX boot). But I think you should also install Chameleon to OSX partition.

So should I try to get an equivalent 4xx series card? I'm trying to add OS X as an entry in EasyBCD but it always says Chain booting error

I don't know about your graphics card, but I had a similar error with easybcd. I just could not it to run chameleon. In my case I am triple booting windows 7 and XP as well so I have an interest in preserving the mbr.

What worked in the end for me, from another forum, was to download the i boot.iso from tonymac (in my case, iboot_legacy.iso since I am running a rather old laptop -- I suspect for AMD you will also need the legacy, but no harm trying 3.3.0 first) and rename it nst_mac.iso (or whatever it is called in your \nst folder) and replace the original with it.

After that the ?grub bootloader worked great, i boot (don't ask me why it censors this!) failed, but the chameleon worked for some odd reason. Worth a shot. Good luck.

It's your money. Personally I'd just buy and install Lion or Mountain Lion.

I can just swap it with someone on the OCAU forums. Also, I'm on AMD and as far as I'm aware, there's no 64bit support for AMD on Lion.

You can try to put boot0md in the place of the MBR record (the one created by EasyBCD on the disk, for OSX boot). But I think you should also install Chameleon to OSX partition.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about with the boot0md thing

boot0md is the stage 0 booter, it's one of the three main Chameleon boot loader files.

http://forum.voodoop....php/topic,2304

http://forum.voodoop...hp?topic=2091.0

Yeah, you should stick with Snow Leopard if you have AMD. You need to get hold of an older video card. 4xx series work fine (i use a 460GTX myself) but you must install the Quadro 4000 drivers from nvidia, the nvidia drivers that ship with Snow Leopard has no support for Fermi architecture cards.

I was messing with this EasyBCD some time ago, and I never managed to boot my OSX with Chameleon installed in the ISO file offered with EasyBCD. What did work for me was:

- installed Chameleon on my OSX partition (installed with Chameleon installer or Chameleon Wizard or ...)

- then I have renamed boot0md to that xxx.mbr, or whatever EasyBCD called it, and replaced that EasyBCD file with renamed boot0md

- then I was able to start Chameleon from Windows boot manager:

Win MBR (1st drive) -> Win Boot manager -> chainloaded to renamed boot0md -> that one loaded boot1h from OSX partition boot record (PBR, 2nd drive) -> and that one loaded boot (Chameleon's main file) from OSX partition.

It's better to have Chameleon installed to your OSX partition then to boot from some strange version from EasyBCD ISO file which you can not change easily.