Losing my permissions

2 posts in this topic

I have what I thought was a fairly successful installation. But, sometimes I get a ""You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds." This is after a sucessful start and a few minutes into using my computer. When I do restart the computer I have to use Disk Utility to repair the disk permissions, and many of the permissions are wrong and need repairing. After restarting again everything is OK for a day or two.

What is causing my permissions to get mis-set?

HP m7757c MediaCenter

P5LP-LE motherboard

Core 2 Duo E6400 © DC 2.13 GHz

Intel 945G

GeForce 7500LE

Realtek ALC 888 chipset

I did use a vanilla kernel and am running 10.6.8

first see what is causing the kernel panic. There are many permissions (i.e Java, ruby) that will always say they were wrong and have been repaired no matter how many times you run disk utility. Boot verbose using -v which also enables additional error logging, then the next time your get a kernel panic, along with the multi-language restart your computer message, you will also get a text readout on the desktop saying what caused the kernel panic. Look for a line that says Kernel Extension in backtrace bla, bla bla and it should list what process or extension caused it followed by it's depedancies on the next couple lines after. Don't worry about the dependancies, just the first one that caused the panic