(Solved!) Some trouble booting without USB on Lenovo G570

OneBlueSky

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! :)

I've been having a bit of a tricky problem with my G570. I installed Lion on my desktop (using the process on this site!), and it went rather well. I managed to get absolutely everything working without a hitch. But with my laptop, I have been far from that lucky. First, let me make it clear I have searched high and low on this issue. I have found several solutions for people with similar problems, but none of their solutions worked for me.

The way I am installing to my laptop (and did to my desktop) is not via a distro, but using a retail copy of Lion 10.7.3. I use ###### from TonyMac, and the install process actually goes fine. No other method of install in fact, works for this laptop. I've tried them all, even distros. After install, my graphics work fine. I am able to get my wireless, sound, keyboard, mouse, battery, and (most parts of) sleep with kexts. But I have two issues, one major one. I cannot boot without the ###### USB plugged in. I have tried everything I can think of. I have found a few DSDT's for my model laptop, none work. They cause boot to fail regardless of flags. Same story with Chimera. I've tried Chameleon in the past, it doesn't work either. They cause either freezes, or kernel panics upon booting. If I use verbose, it stops in a few different places, seems to depend on the roll of the dice as to which it breaks at.

The other is updating to 10.7.4, it breaks the installation in the exact same way. I can live with being stuck forever at 10.7.3, but I can't live with having to use a USB every time I want to boot or restart. :wallbash:

I would really appreciate help as to where to go from here. I am new to this world. I managed to get my desktop working perfectly, and my laptop mostly, so I am "fairly" competent with OSX86 installation and my way around the processes, but I am not by any means knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance! :)

This is the problem with one-click installers...

When you use the u n i b e a s t USB you don't boot the kernel on your HDD, you boot the one from the USB. I believe it also uses the /Extra folder from the USB rather than your HDD so it will be loading NullCPUPowerManagement (which probably means your unnecessarily using sleepenabler) as well as FakeSMC regardless of whether there on your HDD or not.

First things you need to check are have you installed FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement to your HDD.

Once you've confirmed you have done that if it still panics take screen-shots of the panics when booting from chameleon installed to your HDD.

• Like 1

I understand! It's a learning process for sure. I simply went that route because literally every single other one I could find, will not work for this laptop. Not one. None of the distros, nor the process on this site (which did work great for my desktop!) would even get far enough for me to use flags. They'd hang right after the bios screen.

Anyway! I will try that. I have done that before, I mean installed the FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement and it was a no go, but I also used multicrap to install the boot loader. I'll look for how to install Chameleon to my HDD and try again that way. I'll post screens if it goes wrong again! Thanks!

Chameleon bootloader can be installed here, just run the package and it will auto detect your OS X install and install it to it:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

Note: You want the one in the line "Heres the latest Trunk PKG ~ Standard & Official Revision"

Make sure you've chameleon & NullCPUPowerManagement & FakeSMC installed then boot & see what happens, as mentioned above if it panics post pics

• Like 1

Still hanging up. Though in a different place now. Here's a photo of the verbose screen! :)

post-1034561-0-82365000-1342833221_thumb.jpg

Seems to hang at a different point each boot.. Here's another screen.

post-1034561-0-27970500-1342833662_thumb.jpg

One more. Like I said, different every time it seems.

post-1034561-0-82766700-1342833882_thumb.jpg

How can I do that if I can't boot into OS X? Just reinstall and try that? And if I need to reinstall first to do it, do I copy the extra folder to the root of my HDD before or after installing Chameleon? Thanks again!

Ok what I'm trying to do is find out why it will work with the u n i b e a s t installer but not when booting from your HDD... Try this:

Go-to applications -> utilities -> terminal

Type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

then:

killall Finder

Now do you have the extra folder?

• Like 1

That didi! It booted in very fast! Can't thank you enough! But is this a crutch, and I need to do a further step? Or should I just go ahead and use it from here? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do the right thing! :)

Oh, and one more question. How can I make those once invisible folders disappear?

Good to hear it, no problem!

Well if the laptop does what you want then you don't really need to go further; having said that theres all sorts of tweaks you can do once your up and running. If you have a read through my ML guide here: http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1 (particularly part 6) you can see some of those (pretty much everything in that guide also applies to Lion).

In reality taking one-click methods to a perfect install isn't very easy but it all depends on how much time you wish to invest in your hackintosh.

One thing you will want to do is hide the hidden files we showed earlier. To do this:

Again go applications -> utilities -> terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

then:

killall Finder

Now all those greyed out files should have gone

• Like 1

Thank you so much rockinron! I really appreciate it. I have been scouring the web like crazy the last week or so and you fixed the issue in less than an hour, lol. I'll read through your guide in the morning. It's late here and I need to sleep. But thanks again! Cheers!! :)

• Like 1