Dell Inspiron 1720 (with X3100 Graphics)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Computers.
I got the error installing, it wouldn't install without saying it couldn't finish. I kinda cheated since I have the second hard drive with Lion on it, I booted into Lion and copied the Extras and Extensions folder over to the ML disk, built the extensions.mkext and installed Chameleon from there and rebooted. I also had to reinstall BSD.pkg because I couldn't do a disk repair, I guess it didn't install because of the not finishing. I didn't get the ebios error, don't know why you're getting it. If you are willing to start over, I will write up my process today and post it here.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Ok, here's my process. 90% of the credit goes to Ellnic for his Lion install guide and Mnfesq for his work getting the files for the install and some information on the way. Thank you both.

I have a Vostro 1700 with C2D T7250, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 8600m GT. Everything works on my computer with this guide except Shutdown and Restart. Of course, if your components like Wifi and Bluetooth are different from mine, I can't guarantee they will work without modification, but if you have been installing OSx on your laptop, you should know what to do to fix your stuff.

Things you will need:
ShowAllFiles.app (unless you know how to show hidden files)
Mnfesq’s Inspiron 1720 with X3100 package http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2949
VoodooPowerMini.kext
Your own DSDT for your system
Chameleon-2.1svn-r2042
Kext Utility
  • Navigate to the MLion Update app and Show Contents.
  • Use app ShowAllFiles app or terminal commands to show hidden files.
  • Locate the InstallESD.dmg and mount it.
  • Open "Mac OS X Install ESD" and mount BaseSystem.dmg.
  • Open Disk Utility and Format your USB drive with 2 partitions, make the 1st 200MB and call it "Boot" and make the 2nd fill the rest of the space - make the partition type GUID.
  • Restore the mounted BaseSystem.dmg to the 2nd partition on your USB drive and then rename it "MLion_USB".
  • Go to MLion_USB and locate the Packages alias in /System/Installation and delete it.
  • Copy the packages folder in the root of "Mac OS X Install ESD" to same location as alias you just deleted on USB.
  • Copy mach_kernel and kernelcache from "Mac OS X Install ESD" to root of MLion_USB.
  • Unzip the “ML Install Files.zip” to get five more zip folders.
  • Unzip and copy the Extra folder to the Boot partition of the USB replacing the DSDT if necessary.
  • Unzip the rest of the folders and copy each to their respective folder on MLion_USB making sure to replace the files as needed. (If you have Nvidia graphics, you can skip the IntelHD graphics kexts in the Extensions folder as they are not needed).
  • Copy the VoodooPowerMini.kext to the Extensions folder.
  • Make a cache of Extensions folder on MLion_USB by dragging the folder to Kext Utility.
  • Copy the Extensions.mkext that you just made to the System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup folder.
  • Run the Chameleon installer and install to the Boot partition of the USB.
  • Use ShowAllFiles app or terminal commands to hide hidden files.

You should now be able to boot the USB without using any boot flags. Once you are in the OSX installer, make a partition or format your drive as GUID and install. The installer will fail in the last few minutes, but do not worry about it, your installation will work.
Now you can restart your computer and use the MLion_USB to boot the ML HDD to complete the post install setup. I wasn’t able to pick my ML HDD in Chameleon so I had to boot into my second HDD with Lion installed on it to complete the post install.

Post Install Instructions
  • Copy the Extra folder from MLion_USB to the root of your ML HDD.
  • Copy the Extensions from the “ML Install Files.zip” and the VoodooPowerMini.kext to the Extensions folder on your ML HDD. (I deleted all the Graphics and Graphics related kext besides Nvidia from the extensions folder on the HDD, not sure if this was necessary or not, but it didn’t hurt anything. I have an Nvidia machine, if you have Intel x3100, you need the Intel kexts).
  • Make a cache of Extensions folder on MLion_USB by dragging the folder to Kext Utility.
  • Copy the Extensions.mkext in /System/Library to System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.
  • Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file to include "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in the kernel flags.
  • Find the BSD.pkg on the MLion_USB and copy it to your ML HDD and run it, this will fix the repair disk function of Disk Utility. (Most likely didn’t install because of the installer’s failure to complete).
  • Install Chameleon to the Mountain Lion HDD.
Reboot computer and you should be greeted with Mountain Lion setup.

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:All Technology peaks my interest, i have modded every video game console you can imagine, hackin...
Thanks man on me first hdd I have lion also so I can use ur cheats

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:All Technology peaks my interest, i have modded every video game console you can imagine, hackin...
I gotta say thanks I'm logged on to mountain lion it's on my second hdd running thanks to mnfesq for the files and xangel9626 for the ill after failure guide

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Just did the 10.8.1 update and it fails in the last seconds of the update process, but I restarted the computer and all seems to be well.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Just did the 10.8.1 update and it fails in the last seconds of the update process, but I restarted the computer and all seems to be well.

The installation failure has to do with an error in building the kernel cache. It says that certain kexts are not authentic and will be omitted, thereby causing the error which results in failure. I am experimenting with different OSInstall.mpkg files to see if I can find one that, with or without modification, will not exclude files from the kernel cache.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It still says I have 10.8.1 in system info. Did it not update my system fully? I haven't noticed any issues with the computer so far.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I didn't notice until just now, but I lost the battery icon.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

It still says I have 10.8.1 in system info. Did it not update my system fully? I haven't noticed any issues with the computer so far.

The update is complete, and one of the kexts I restore after every upgrade is AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. However, if you try to boot with UseKernelCache=Yes, it will not work. As of now, we do not have a working kernel cache. That makes it take longer to boot and the fact that we do not have one means that our installation is, in that regard, imperfect.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Thank you, I got my battery icon back. My system takes about a minute to a minute and a half to boot. Not sure how long it's supposed to take, but I can live with around a minute for now.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Before I make the jump to 10.8.2, is there anything that I should know?

dbk616

dbk616

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to follow xangel9626's guide with mnfesq's files on my Inspiron 1720 with a Core 2 Duo T5250 with 3GB Ram with an Intel 965 Chipset. I have NOT Patched my DSDT as the guide has not mentioned that. When trying to boot from my USB I get KP CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it. Can someone help me?

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
You do need a DSDT.aml in your Extra folder to get ML to boot.

xangel9626

xangel9626

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
dbk616, I found another post saying you already have a DSDT http://www.osx86.net...as-no-hpet.html. How did you make that DSDT? For my DSDT, I created it back when I had Leopard installed on my laptop and was installing Snow Leopard. I did NO patching and used it as it was created back in the day. If you have a Mac operating system already installed on your 1720 and it's using that DSDT, you should not need to do anything special to get it to work following my guide.

Keep in mind that I used the 10.8 installer package and updated to 10.8.1 with the information below my guide, I have not been able to get 10.8.2 to install and I have received the CPU1 HPET KP a few times and I had a multitude of other problems so I haven't got it working.
Here’s the thread showing the issues. http://www.insanelym...date-from-1081/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy