Dell Inspiron 1720 (with X3100 Graphics)

mnfesq

34 posts in this topic

Just did the 10.8.1 update and it fails in the last seconds of the update process, but I restarted the computer and all seems to be well.

The installation failure has to do with an error in building the kernel cache. It says that certain kexts are not authentic and will be omitted, thereby causing the error which results in failure. I am experimenting with different OSInstall.mpkg files to see if I can find one that, with or without modification, will not exclude files from the kernel cache.

It still says I have 10.8.1 in system info. Did it not update my system fully? I haven't noticed any issues with the computer so far.

The update is complete, and one of the kexts I restore after every upgrade is AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. However, if you try to boot with UseKernelCache=Yes, it will not work. As of now, we do not have a working kernel cache. That makes it take longer to boot and the fact that we do not have one means that our installation is, in that regard, imperfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am trying to follow xangel9626's guide with mnfesq's files on my Inspiron 1720 with a Core 2 Duo T5250 with 3GB Ram with an Intel 965 Chipset. I have NOT Patched my DSDT as the guide has not mentioned that. When trying to boot from my USB I get KP CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it. Can someone help me?

• 3 weeks later...

dbk616, I found another post saying you already have a DSDT http://www.osx86.net/laptops-notebooks/20569-osx-mountain-lion-inspiron-1720-intel-965-chipset-kernal-panic-cpu-1-has-no-hpet.html. How did you make that DSDT? For my DSDT, I created it back when I had Leopard installed on my laptop and was installing Snow Leopard. I did NO patching and used it as it was created back in the day. If you have a Mac operating system already installed on your 1720 and it's using that DSDT, you should not need to do anything special to get it to work following my guide.

Keep in mind that I used the 10.8 installer package and updated to 10.8.1 with the information below my guide, I have not been able to get 10.8.2 to install and I have received the CPU1 HPET KP a few times and I had a multitude of other problems so I haven't got it working.

Here’s the thread showing the issues. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284219-vostro-1700inspiron-1720-1082-update-from-1081/