Mountain Lion + 8800 GT (black screen)

53 posts in this topic

Just inject your Device ID in NV* kexts properly, it works. I was also struggling with the same issue from last 2 weeks before I got it solved. Just device ID inject worked perfect. and also make sure you have set graphicsenabler = yes. The Kexts I posted are 8800GT specific sop will not work on any other card.

@shaorn

What do you mean with "

Just device ID inject worked perfect"

Is that the way I was doing? or is it another way to do this ? ;-)

And I'm using

graphicsenabler

=Yes

//Peter

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I don't know why this is not working with your card. Try nvenabler also ....

Her is my DSDT

I saw in other thread, that s´they remove other graphic related kext, except NV, perhaps that is a way to try....

//Peter

Actually that might have been a thread I am on. I had to remove the NV stuff in my DSDT also in order to get my graphics back.

Actually that might have been a thread I am on. I had to remove the NV stuff in my DSDT also in order to get my graphics back.

Can you check my DSDT if there is something that can be removed from my DSDT, see some post above with my attached file.

BR

Peter

EVGA and I believe I flashed it with the Mac Pro's 8800GT bios some years ago. I have an XFX Alpha Dog Edition as well that I haven't tried yet. It may be possible to fix this issue by loading my EVGA's nvidia rom from Chameleon. I'll let you know when I extract the bios, etc.

EDIT: Grab Nvidia 8800GT roms from the first post on this thread: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1053726

It's the mediafire link.

Try to load either one of those roms using Chameleon, and remember to use stock kexts.

Her is my DSDT

I saw in other thread, that s´they remove other graphic related kext, except NV, perhaps that is a way to try....

//Peter

Ok, you STILL have your graphics edit in there for the 8800GT under Device (PEGP).

Device (PEGP)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
				{
					0x09,
					0x04
				})
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x34)
						{
							"AAPL,HasPanel",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

yada yada yada....deleted code to minimize this message...
							"rom-revision",
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"70.16.25.00.25"
							},
							"hda-gfx",
							Buffer (0x0A)
							{
								"onboard-1"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}

The above is yours. What I had to do was to return that section to it's vanilla state; that's right I ripped all that code OUT. If you have a backup of the original DSDT, remove what you have and replace it with the original code. I know, it sounds counter-productive and besides you will be making a copy and experimenting on it instead, right? Once I removed all that code and replaced it with the original, make sure you have removed all enablers for graphics and try booting it up. Mine is working flawlessly.

Hold the phone. My 8800GT works in 10.8 flawlessly. OP, which brand 8800GT do you own?

-Stell

He's ALIVE! Did you ever get that MSI Big Bang X-Power 100%? Back to the original topic, for those following this thread, my 8800GT 512's are the EVGA brand.

PS, this IS for a 8800GT, right? Your signature says you have a completely different graphics card than what we are discussing.

EVGA and I believe I flashed it with the Mac Pro's 8800GT bios some years ago. I have an XFX Alpha Dog Edition as well that I haven't tried yet. It may be possible to fix this issue by loading my EVGA's nvidia rom from Chameleon. I'll let you know when I extract the bios, etc.

EDIT: Grab Nvidia 8800GT roms from the first post on this thread: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1053726

It's the mediafire link.

Try to load either one of those roms using Chameleon, and remember to use stock kexts.

Anyone try this yet?

I have a 8800 gt 512 mb card like some of you guys. The weird problem I'm having is getting the other card to work with it. 8500 gt 256 mb

My set up is 4 monitors with 2 cards. In lion I've been using Efi injection which works flawlessly. But on ML three monitors would work fine, the 4th is a black screen. BUT I can see and move my mouse cursor over the black screen, but nothing else is shown.

However when I boot into the installer all four screens works as it should.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 8800 gt 512 mb card like some of you guys. The weird problem I'm having is getting the other card to work with it. 8500 gt 256 mb

My set up is 4 monitors with 2 cards. In lion I've been using Efi injection which works flawlessly. But on ML three monitors would work fine, the 4th is a black screen. BUT I can see and move my mouse cursor over the black screen, but nothing else is shown.

However when I boot into the installer all four screens works as it should.

I have the same problem. Dual 8800GT 512mb, worked fine up to Lion with EFI strings or GraphicsEnabler. One of my monitors should be in portrait mode. Most of the time all 4 monitors work in ML, if they are in landscape mode, but as soon as I change the vertical one into "90° rotation" it goes black, but with the mouse visible like you described. Also, sometimes at random he makes one screen black at boot (rarely), but for some weird reason it is not always the same one that goes black. I tried replacing the drivers with the NV* kexts from my last 10.7 install, but that only resulted in a KP. Please let me know if you find a fix.

've had the same problem with my 8800GT. My solutions was: just put the "NVDANV50Hal.kext" back from DP4.

Make a backup first.

Here it is: NVDANV50Hal_DP4.kext.zip

You can use the same activation method which you used for Lion eg. GraphicsEnabler, NVinject etc.

tried it just now. no dice. still the same problem. it did reset all my wallpaper to the ML default. so i guess something took affect, but wasn't it.

i think i can deal with having all monitor the same orientation. as long as it works right?