Mountain Lion + 8800 GT (black screen)

53 posts in this topic

Hi Guys I have been running Lion fine for a while and got everything working without to much trouble but now ive installed Mountain lion I just get a black screen when I connect my 8800GT but the HDD is still going as if its loading and just can't see it and I have graphics enabler set to yes but still nothing. It loads fine with the card disconnected but my onboard card doesnt run QE.

Any advice would be great

• Like 1

Hi Guys I have been running Lion fine for a while and got everything working without to much trouble but now ive installed Mountain lion I just get a black screen when I connect my 8800GT but the HDD is still going as if its loading and just can't see it and I have graphics enabler set to yes but still nothing. It loads fine with the card disconnected but my onboard card doesnt run QE.

Any advice would be great

Have you tried setting Graphics Enabler to "No" as opposed to just trying onboard video?

I have the same problem - the screen either turns black and the hard drives park or it goes into a reboot just at the point where the gui is about to start. Setting GE to no or booting in safe mode makes no difference. My onboard card is a X3100, so not a long term solution, either.

[EDIT] I replaced all of the nVidia kexts in ML with those from Lion 10.7.4. Booted with -f and npci=0x2000 and was able to boot to the installation GUI for the first time. Apple looks to have removed support for some, if not all, 8800GT cards from the kexts. Mine is a Zotac 8800GT 512MB card, which was one of the most compatible cards for hackintoshes up to now.

One thing I noted was that there were no GeForcexxxx.kexts in ML. Adding those in made no difference. The problem seems to be in the NVDAxxxx.kexts. Patching one of those might be all that is needed assuming the ML kexts are improved/more stable over the Lion ones.

Installing now to a spare partition and hoping that I can get CI/QE working with this. Hope this helps anyone with the same spec card and problem.

QE/CI works after swapping the GM NVDA kexts for those from DP2 and using a VBIOS.

Download a suitable VBIOS from this source and place it in your /Extra folder

Add the following lines to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist or just use Chameleon Wizard to create the lines for you.

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Actually the 8800GT works just fine in Mtn Lion. The key is to have a properly edited DSDT file with the correct graphics info in it. I was having the same problems as you guys until I fixed it. The other way to fix it is old school, insert the EFI string into your system (I think Lizard can do this or use the old OSX86 Tools.)

• Like 1

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Sparkle GTX 560 OC with mountain lion (GraphicsEnabler=Yes).

After the spinning wheel , the screen goes black, like when i turn off the computer, but with the harddrive still running.

Sometimes it works fine (about 10% of time), but most of the time it doesn't.

It used to work fine with my old config and Lion.

It doesn't work only with Mountain Lion and my new config:

Motherboard :GigabyteGA-Z77x-D3H

CPU: Inel Core I5 3570k

Ram 16Go Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

HDD1: SSD Crucial 64go

HDD 2: Werstern Digital 2To

Video: Sparkle GTX 560 1024 Mo

Thank you for sharing any lead.

Well I had a go at putting the EFI string in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Didn't fix a thing. It looks as if the problem lies with two kexts: NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext. Up to DP2 the info.plist of both of these contained the vendor and product IDs of several cards. These have been stripped out with the result that on booting your gfx card cannot be identified and probed and the system gives up - black screen of death.

Entering your card's ID in both of these kexts or replacing the missing IDs should solve that problem.

Extract from Info.plist from NVDANV50Hal.kext from DP2

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>

0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff

0x019010de&0xfff0ffff

0x040010de&0xfff0ffff

0x042010de&0xfff0ffff

0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff

0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff

0x060010de&0xffe0ffff

0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

0x064010de&0xffe0ffff

0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff

0x08a010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a2010de&0xffa0ffff

0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

Extract from Info.plist from the same kext in the GM leak

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x000010de</string>

Why, thank you Apple! :angry2:

What worked for me was to rip out all the old code that was related to the 8800GT in my dsdt and to remove all enablers too. I used to have the same patches in my dsdt file that other 8800GT owners had and it worked great up through Snow Leopard. Lion of course is a different beast.

Well I had a go at putting the EFI string in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Didn't fix a thing.

Funny, it worked for me. Meaning EFI worked on Lion, but I did have to rip it out as well as all my other patches in my DSDT file and anything else graphics related and remove all enablers and Mountain Lion has been flawless.

You did remove all other patches and enablers right?

• Like 1

Never used an enabler. I used an EFI string under Leopard and SL until Chameleon improved and from then on right through Lion GE=Y was all I needed. Never needed to patch my DSDT for my gfx. All I had in there were the usual WAK etc fixes, a fix for HPET, SATA for my motherboard and audio patching.

Thanks for all the reply's i've been a bit tied up so havent had a chance to look but ill give these suggestions a try later. My DSDT file that I have always used was i believe was from someone on this forum quite some time ago that had the same Mobo and processor so might have to have a look at that just never needed to before as everything worked great on lion.

I can see it bringing up the network interfaces (Ethernet and WiFi both are fine and loaded). After that you can tell it is the point were the gui is about to kick in and then the system dies.

I experimented yesterday with Clover for the first time on a stock installation usb of ML. A clever but messy bootloader and that loaded everything up first time. It has a different GE with its own injector and that brought up what looked like a full QE/CI on the installation usb without any tinkering of the ML kexts. I put in my DSDT (it has its own universal mini DSDT) but it didn't pick up on the HPET and KPed without the Null kext and nor did it manage to find the inbuilt audio, so it has some advantages and disadvantages over Chameleon.

There is another bootloader around that I might try if I can remember the link.

BTW, I misunderstood what you wrote with a 'properly edited DSDT'. I took that to mean that you HAD to put in your gfx for it to work under ML. My motherboard is a Dell based on a Foxconn GM33M03 design and that is a pig to get working compared with any other I have had.

BTW, I misunderstood what you wrote with a 'properly edited DSDT'. I took that to mean that you HAD to put in your gfx for it to work under ML. My motherboard is a Dell based on a Foxconn GM33M03 design and that is a pig to get working compared with any other I have had.

No, actually I had to remove all graphics edits I had done in my dsdt file. The edits I had done (similar to this: http://osx86.co/f36/uhci-ehci-built-in-with-dsdt-fix-t3849/page4.html) worked flawlessly until I switched to Lion. Yes I did find enablers that worked great with Lion but I tend to believe that less is more and wanted a more native approach. So I had a hunch and tryed to boot without it and voila, it worked! And yes you need the newer versions of Chameleon in order to make this work. I think I'm on 2006 or close to that.

I've had the same problem with my 8800GT. My solutions was: just put the "NVDANV50Hal.kext" back from DP4.

Make a backup first.

Here it is: NVDANV50Hal_DP4.kext.zip

You can use the same activation method which you used for Lion eg. GraphicsEnabler, NVinject etc.

Hope it works for you too :)

• Like 1

Looks like they flip-flopped on the card IDs. Here's what I'm seeing on my ML release version of the file on my MBP:

<string>

0x019010de&0xfff0ffff

0x040010de&0xfff0ffff

0x041010de&0xfff0ffff

0x041010de&0xfff0ffff

0x042010de&0xfff0ffff

0x043010de&0xfff0ffff

0x046010de&0xfff0ffff

0x052010de&0xfff0ffff

0x05c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x05e010de&0xffe0ffff

0x060010de&0xffe0ffff

0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

0x064010de&0xffe0ffff

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff

0x08a010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a0010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a6010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0d4010de&0xffe0ffff

0x10c010de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

Currently installing on my Hack with a GTS250 gfx card... which uses the same driver (since it's the same chip) as the 8800GT. Fingers crossed.

I've had the same problem with my 8800GT. My solutions was: just put the "NVDANV50Hal.kext" back from DP4.

Make a backup first.

Here it is: NVDANV50Hal_DP4.kext.zip

You can use the same activation method which you used for Lion eg. GraphicsEnabler, NVinject etc.

Hope it works for you too :)

I will definitely try this tonight ....

• Like 1

I was having the same problem while using MyHack method installing Mountain Lion getting black screen trying booting from my USB stick. The following is my fix based on my Gigabyte motherboard EP45-UD3R.

Using champlist I saw my graphic resolution was set at 1024x768x32 and I change to my Lion default to 1600x1200x32 then copy my lion DSDT to USB stick in Extra and reboot and the black screen has gone. Right I a installing Mountain Lion in another partition. Hope this help.

My GTS250 works out of the box in Lion (NVDANV50Hal.kext), but black screen in ML. Today I bought a cheap Palit GTX560SE to replace the GTS250 and it works out of the box on ML (NVDANV100Hal.kext). GraphicsEnabler must be = Yes.

Hi everyone,

For all those having problems with Geforce 8800GT 512 MB , here are the files that will make your card work fully. After struggling for two weeks , these kexts works flawless. Here is the link to the kexts. Just install using kext utility and set Graphicsenabler = yes

DOWNLOAD

Hurray , I got this finally working on my PC. Please let me know if the kexts works for all. :angel_not:

Hi Sharon,

I'm going to try your kexts, However I have this card... info from bdmsg....

GeForce GT 230M 1024MB NVa5 [10de:0a28]-[103c:7001] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) device number: 1

GeForce GT 230M:

Chipset Model: GeForce GT 230M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a28

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 70.16.25.00.25

If your kexts don't work, what would the line in the kext be for my card ?

EDIT

They didn't work ......

//Peter

Hi Sharon,

I'm going to try your kexts, However I have this card... info from bdmsg....

GeForce GT 230M 1024MB NVa5 [10de:0a28]-[103c:7001] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) device number: 1

If your kexts don't work, what would the line in the kext be for my card ?

EDIT

They didn't work ......

//Peter

@peter_sm, the above files are specific to Geforce 8800GT , You just need to inject your device id in all more than one files in the zip, just replace "0x061110de" everywhere in the kexts with your device id.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
 <string>0x061110de&0x0000ffff</string>

Thanks, what is my device ID to change, is below correct? 0x0a2810de&amp;0x0000ffff

Seems correct !

0A28 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M"

0A2A = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M"

Not sure .. which is 1024 MB .. try both and see which one works