[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Excellent guide. However, I would make one edit: using a more updated version of FakeSMC. The one you linked to was version 2.5. The latest one is 4.2, which is available here: http://www.projectos...?showtopic=1643

Thanks for this, been wondering where the home of fakeSMC was, guide updated accordingly

His guys I'm following this guide to update my working 10.7.2 build on an ASUS P5W-DH but I'm having the usual graphics card problems. I have a 6870 and it's causing annoying problems shunting everything down to the lower quarter of the monitor meaning I have to guess where the buttons are in order to progress the installation. This also means I can't customise it to my system properly either. Anyone know what causes this?

Relatedly once it is installed I get the hang at 'DSMOS has arrived'. I know this is something to do with boot.plist and editing my graphics kexts but I can't seem to find a guide telling me exactly what to edit and how to do it.

Any ideas ?

Check this thread for the HD6870 issues http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280582&hl=&fromsearch=1

(i've described the general fix in post #23 on this thread)

If that doesn't help you I suggest posting to the forum as I've personally not seen this problem so can't help you further

I have a 950GMA Kext that makes ML work with my Graphics Chip.

I don't know if it gives me QE/CI but, I'll see if I can get a kext that makes that work.

I did have DP2 working but, when I tried to upgrade to DP3 it wouldn't boot the system after install.

I want to try your guide but, just want to make sure I am using the correct SMBIOS.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

Just wanted to chime in and say using MBR resolved my issue with my post screen getting stuck. I have the EP45T-UD3LR mobo and now the install is working like a charm. Thanks for the great guide!

• Like 1

So after installing, and booting solely off of the OS X HD itself, I get the following below. Any idea what kext I need to remove/modify/update to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

post-549451-0-24015700-1344034574_thumb.jpg

EDIT/UPDATE: So for some reason the install decided not to put in the SMbios I created in the Extra folder. Moved this there myself in that resolved the issue. Woop!

So after installing, and booting solely off of the OS X HD itself, I get the following below. Any idea what kext I need to remove/modify/update to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_2332.JPG

What your seeing is a kernel panic with ApplePolicyControl causing the panic. To fix this you need to delete it so:

Boot back into the installer, goto utilities -> terminal and type the following:

rm -rf /Volumes/*name_of_OS_X_Partition*/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePolicyControl.kext

Note: if you've given the name of your OS X partition a name with a space in it must be written in quotes, eg if you called the partition OS X you would replace *name_of_OS_X_Partition* with "OS X" so it would become literally:

rm -rf /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/Plugins/ApplePolicyControl.kext

if there's no space in the partition name then don't worry about it

If the terminal gives you an error when you type that let me know, I may have made a spelling mistake, also note that the terminal is case sensitive.

Hello! If anyone could assist me in my issue ..would be great! here or @ lov3som3@gmail.com

My pc is:

Mobo -Intel Foxconn dg31pr

Proc : E6550 - 2,33 ghz 2 mb l2 cache

dvd-wr lg i think

2x 2gb kingmax ddr2 800 mhz

nvidia 550 ti 1gb ddr5/192 bit

I am using a KIngston 8GB usb stick

I have followed the tutorial ( GREAT JOB btw !! ) and have managed to install yesterday OS X 10.8 on a separate HDD. Though I couldn't get it to boot from OS X HDD because of missing kext etc. Today I decided to take a fresh start. Followed the tutorial by letter:D

and created the USB installation again, this time more carefuly with all kext and smbios and dsdt all in extra folder. I had no error while booting into the installation ( like before, no kext missing nothing) - the only flags were -v & -USBBusFix=Yes

But when the installer starts up I get Exclamation mark error saying it can;t install on this computer. [ I used the same image as before to create the usb installation disk]. I tried clicking restore and then disk utility-fix-repair etc. All went well , no errors etc. I formated the {censored} again -extended guid partitioned. but after another attempt I get the same error !

Googleing has got me nowhere as a lot of people have this error because they are trying to restore with another mac disk on another pc. This is not the case for me. The image I used was the same as before, and I 've installing and reinstalling that old one since monday in the hope that it will eventually boot.

Anyway, please help me on this issue. I am a begginer in hackintoshing :) or how it's called :P but I work in IT service..so get techy with me.. If i don't understand something I'll ask! Thank you!!!!

Ok I've seen people with this error a couple of times and I'm not sure what causes it but I'll help you where I can so:

Go into the BIOS of your motherboard, look for a setting that looks like "SATA Configuration" or "SATA AHCI mode" (or similar) and check it is set to AHCI (it may be set to IDE at the moment).

Ensure you have formatted the partition in hfs (mac os extended journeled) in disk utility.

Check that when you chose your smbios you chose one that is closest to your PC (not too important) but that is definitely a model that is compatible with ML; supported models list here:

http://en.wikipedia....em_requirements

Edit: also if none of the above suggestions work get back to me and if you find how to solve the issue please let me know so I can update the guide and help others who ma experience similar problems

• Like 1

Hello Rockinron_1..

Thanks for the suggestions. From these I can surely say now that:

1. Am very sure that the HDD is formated in HFS journeled extended guid mode ( twice :D )

2. The smbios I picked was 8,1 I think , cause 9.1 (Imac) was with ddr3 and I think ati instead of Nvidia which I have. So the bios had my ram, processor.and pretty much ok with it. It is the same smbios I used for previous instalation this week (and worked).

3. I am going to go into bios now and edit when I get back, but the settings that are now enabled are the same that I had when I managed to install ML..so :| i don't know:(

I'll be back..going into BIOS NOW

p.s. Thank you very much for the support.and sorry about spelling but i'm very tired ..it;s 5 o;clock in the morning here:(

EDIT:

I went into BIOS but there isn't much I can change. I have no AHCI mode. It is set to automatic. I switched it to manual and tried with Legacy mode on and still I get the same error: can't install on this computer. I turned SATA off and the chameleon loads but then just boosts up a blank screen no lcd signal(video). So I turned SATA back on, switched to Native mode and ran again chameleon from usb and OS installer starts but same error appears.

I'm left clueless. I used the same image as before, paid even more attention. Used newer 4.5 fakescm version nullcpupowermanagement.

Hope you have another hint for me to try..

EDIT 2

Also I have found some info on MOBO:

Apparently Sata mode is AHCI according to Intel

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020811.htm#modes

it's Native, allows all SATA devices (4) and 0 IDEs

DG31PR Intel GMAX3100

Best Motherboard For MAC OS X!!!!!! Everything Works After Patching Sound & Video Card. On Install Use Cameleon 2.0 RC3 658 Package From Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

• Sound (ALC889) works with AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext from dg31pr_snow.zip. Install with Kext Helper Kext Helper b7.zip
  • Network works out of the box
  • nVidia Cards work after adding EFI Strings with OSX86Tools OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip
  • QE/CI Supported with my Asus EN9400 GT 512mb

Kexts Used:

• fakesmc
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  • OpenHaltRestart
  • PlatformUUID
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • AppleRTC.kext

So much for being a AHCI failure :(

Edited by lov3som3

Ok the last thing I can suggest is to download a fresh copy of ML from the app store and make the installer one last time (The fact that it boots means you've most likely made it right but the image you're using could be faulty). Failing that then post to the forum asking for help, more people will see your post that way so you've a better chance of someone knowing the fix

Just got my system to work thanks to your guide. One addition for people with an NVidia card, if your screens go black, sometimes it is because you need to boot with:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes PciRoot=1

Apparently you can use the tool called 'Lizard' to obtain this, but I just guessed..

(the GraphicsEnabler=Yes is something needed for some older nvidia cards I think, I have a GTX 260 TOP, the PciRoot thing probably has to do with either my placement on the motherboard, or the motherboard itself, I have an EX58-UD4P)

I'm getting instant reboots with the USB stick. The verbose mode simply doesn't show anything, it loads all kexts and then reboots fast and cold. Now i'm trying the good old mpkg method, but have to use Pacifist - with OsX default installer app, i got a "no software to install" error, like the mpkg couldn't point to the other packages. I'll report my results.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would like help. I get to part 3 of the usb boot and I just get a stuck on a white screen. I've searched the forum on how to get my ATI 6970 working with ML. Please let me know what files I need and how to install. Thanks

Hey. I followed this guide and, after all the boot-up-to-installer text from Chameleon, it gets stuck on a blank gray screen for about 10 minutes, then the screen just shuts off completely, but the computer is still on. Any thoughts? I'm trying to install to a Vaio laptop with a i5-430M

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would like help. I get to part 3 of the usb boot and I just get a stuck on a white screen. I've searched the forum on how to get my ATI 6970 working with ML. Please let me know what files I need and how to install. Thanks

ATi6970 has known issues with ML, I'm not even sure people have got it working yet. If you search the forum you'll find threads about it.

Hey. I followed this guide and, after all the boot-up-to-installer text from Chameleon, it gets stuck on a blank gray screen for about 10 minutes, then the screen just shuts off completely, but the computer is still on. Any thoughts? I'm trying to install to a Vaio laptop with a i5-430M

Boot with -v and post a screenshot of where it stops. What graphics is in the laptop or is it on-board only?

Wondering why I can boot into the fine and then 20 seconds into it (able to navigate fine) it KP regardless of what menu I'm in or doing at the time like clockwork. Note this is happening with my ATI card. With the 8800GT it loads through fine then just goes to black screen.

CPU 3 has no HPET assigned to it

Kernel Extension backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Thinking this is a NullCPUPowerManagement fix but I have the kext in my extra folder and extension folder of the USB install drive.

This is the panic thats happening with my Ati 5770 I doubt this has something to do with card choice and if I could see the screen with my 8800gt it would probably deliver the same error. Any idea's?

Would just like to thank rockinron_1 for the time to write the tutorial, which i used, and it worked for me, not without some troubles though, i was stuck while booting from the install USB on DSMOS has arrived, i finally managed to fix it easly, by using the latest chimera, instead of chameleon, and everything is fixed, i just need to fix the GPU (if that ever is going to happen)

So congrats rockinron_1 for the awesome tutorial.

specs CPU Core i5 GPU ATI 5650m RAM 4gb ram HDD 500GB (sony vaio vpceb1s1e)

Hello,

Many thanks for your tutorial! I've gone through all the steps and boot from the USB drive, select the install USB and it goes into the apple screen with the rotating circle then just goes dark and monitor losses signal. Have tried all the suggestions on this thread with no success. I have an Asus P5W DH motherboard. I think I have all the setting correct in the BIOS (I am running 10.6.3 on this motherboard), just can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be great!

Miro