[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Typo I think.  It should say to extract the kernel with pacifist from OS X Install ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/Kernel... for Yosemite.

Can't find the following in the latest Yosemite official release (appstore):

Copy BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg from InstallESD.img to the root of your USB drive.

doesn't exist :S

Kernel location updated. Downloading the GM now to check the other bit, will update again in a few hours.

BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg are hidden in the InstallESD.img.

You must do a "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in the Terminal to be able to see them.

I've followed your method yesterday, although I didn't want to use Pacifist, so I've used the kernel that is inside the essentials zip you've attached.

However, the installed wouldn't boot. The system hangs in a grey screen, with the Apple logo and a progress bar below. I've booted in verbose mode and noticed that one of the last messages is "PCI configuration Begin". So I've inserted the "–npci=0x2000" flag, no success. Tried "-npci=0x3000", still no success. Tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No, both with no success.

I'm also using the latest Chameleon trunk (r2401).

I don't know what to do. :(

Hi everybody.

Following the guide updated for Yosemite I managed to install the OS.

HOWEVER, both in case of boot from the usb pendrive and in case of boot from the OS X disk, when booting with no option Chameleon seems to start the boot sequence but after 2-3 seconds goes back to the boot selection screen.

The version of Chameleon that I used for the installation on pendrive and on system disk is the one included in the Essential archive for Yosemite linked at the end of this discussion.

Conversely, if I boot either support with the -x option, boot completes and I get into the OS

When installing and using as boot manager the latest version of Clover, OS X installation boots succesdfully with no -x option (and, on top of it, the integrated Hd4600 graphics of my Haswell processor works 100% with Qe/Ci active).

This said, for personal preference (last but not least: because of the available boot themes...) I would prefer to use Chameleon as boot mgr. but, of course, without any need to set the -x option.

Any idea why the boot with Chameleon does not start (this happening also for the very initial pendrive boot to kick off the os installer) unless the -x is set?

Of course, i followed (to the best of my knowledge...) every single step of the guide taking also care of extracting the kernel from the release file downloaded 2 days ago from apple, since i noted that the one included in the essentials archive has a much earlier date (just to make sure all was 100% compatible with the files in the release dmg

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this?

So I have a Lenovo Z500 and I'm stuck at "Still waiting for root device". I can't even start the installation.

I've tried everything I've seen in this thread (especially USBBusFix=Yes, -f, -x, npci=0x2000, etc.) and nothing helped. I also tried that distro you're-not-allowed-to-talk-about-here and I had the same problem. I've tried both in the USB 2.0 and in the USB 3.0 ports and still the same. Can someone help me?

I think this may have something to do:

2014-10-25_13-40-07.png

Ok, so I got past that by using "EHCIacquire=Yes -v". But now I get the "To pair a Bluetooth keyboard, turn it on and wait for your computer to connect to it." screen. I have no USB keyboards laying around. What can I do?

By the way, you should not use the attached kernel, since it's outdated... you'd better extract it using Pacifist.

Just press a key (like space bar) or click the mouse. Twice (for keyboard and mouse). The alternative is to disable Bluetooth in BIOS, even if only temporarily.

Thank you but that didn't help me. The solution was to install the "Voodoo PS/2" controller.

More questions, thank you in advance.

1) My system has a GPT table and boots via UEFI using rEFInd. Is it possible to boot this Hackintosh system using rEFInd? (By now, rEFInd detects it, but if I try to boot it a no_entry.png symbol appears)

2) If I can boot using rEFInd and not Chameleon, how would I apply DSDT patches, SMBios settings, etc? Because they are in the "/Extra" directory and I would say they are only loaded by Chameleon, but I'm not sure about this.

@rockinron_1,

I successfully installed ML & ML in my Asus X53E and desktop with Asus X58 MB. Recently, I purchased Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 that I intend to use it as workstation.

I experienced immediate early reboot even when suing patched mach_kernel. As a last result, I turn to Clover and was able to successfully install Mavericks 10.9.4 into my ThinkServer. I would like to come back and use Chameleon bootloader using your installer method to install Yosemit. You got any suggestion for me how to overcome Haswell early reboot?

ThinkServer Specs:

CPU: Xeon E3 1250 V3

MB: Unidentified but B85 type (1150 socket for sure)

Chipset: Intel CH226

Audio: Realtek ALC 662

Video: Integrated HD4600 (OEM) . 

First, thanks for this community. An amazing amount of knowledge and interaction.

So I am a frustrated installer. All this wonderful code, lots of successful users, yet I am not able to make this work.  Here's my situation. My Toshiba Satelite L675-S7018 has an i3-350M processor, 8GB of memory and Toshiba's 'cinematic' 16x9 display (1600x900 resolution that's great for movies, not so great for writing code) delivered via Intel HD Graphics.

I have tried 10.9 and 10.10. I have tried every installation protocol mentioned on this site (and some on sites we don't mention). In every case, the result is the same.  The boot process announces "DSMOS has arrived", then "[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed" and then the laptop reboots just as the Apple logo screen flashes by. I can only report these verbose results because I videotape the boot process. By naked eye the screen flashes by too quickly to read the last few lines. It seems like a graphics problem but I can't figure out what's wrong.

I have deleted the video kexts, tried every combination of boot flags I can think of. I've nearly worn our a USB stick from too many reformats.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks for all the hard work!

--John

Here's a picture just before the apple logo flash and reboot:

post-1427321-0-64879200-1415038331_thumb.jpg

Hello all!

I have a dumb question. Perhaps not so dumb. I am trying to install Yosemite, following the instructions in this thread. I try to install on a Lenovo Thinkpad T420. I created the usb drive, but the laptop is not booting from it. IT only shows a  brief "_" sign, for like a fraction of a second, and then i get to the boot device selection screen(I disabled all other booting devices on purpose). The same usb drive works on another system. In BIOS i can boot from both Legacy or UEFI. The only way i was able to boot was by using Clover as a bootloader, but i want to follow this guide to the letter.   AHCI mode is selected.

What else can i do? Where is the problem?

Thanks for all the hard work !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

how do i get official Yosemite or any other fav ..since i'm not using mac any other apple brand laptop/desktop. i tried to install yosemite zone but is not booting on my laptop..my laptop Lenovo S410p non-touch i7-4500 ,1TB sata Drive, Nvdia GT 720M 2GB ,Intel HD 4400 and come with preinstalled window 8.1SL , running UEFI motherboard..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have a serious problem with Yosemite.

in installing section, the Installer says that 'OS X cannot be installed on your computer' with 'error 0'

can anyone help me please?

I'm using ML 10.8.2 right now, on GPT, EFI

thank you.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have a serious problem with Yosemite.

in installing section, the Installer says that 'OS X cannot be installed on your computer' with 'error 0'

can anyone help me please?

I'm using ML 10.8.2 right now, on GPT, EFI

thank you.  :)

Make sure you've copied BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist to your USB on top level.

Hope that it's not too late  ^_^.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Someone might enable the pci-x ports on the x8sax?

I've installed a full snow leopard on my x8sax with full power management, hpet, smbus, ethernet (all vanilla) but I can't enable the pci-x ports

So if anyone can help me, I really appreciate it!!

This is the kernel panic post-729450-0-80179600-1426294332_thumb.jpg

Oscar

Hi all!

I have a big problem when i try to install Yosemite with several methods. First, i try the All-in-one vanilla Guide, and then the AIO Guide method but i have this error message when i try to boot my usb drive: "Memory allocation error! Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: hfs.c, Line: 924. This is a non recoverable error! System is HALTED!!!". Next, i try the ##### method, but when the installer comes up with the apple logo and the little loading bar, it crashes and i have a black screen about 30%. I tries a many of boot flags but no success. Then, i try the [NEW]_USB Installer_OS X Yosemite Chameleon_r2570 v7 method, but the program won't start it says an AppleScript error. Then, i try THIS tutorial, and the boot loader doesn't come up, i just had a flashing cursor. Then i try the Clover Legacy method, it works like the Beast, when apple logo comes up, and loads 40%, my screen is gone black or restart the pc. Please, help me. I don't know what is the problem. 

My config:

Gigabyte EP-43T-UD3L

Core 2 Quad Q8300

4Gb DDR 3 Ram

Geforce 9800Gt

At part 2.1.8 the command should be 

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true

and 

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false

The "yes" and "no" doesn't work on Yosemite 10.10.2.

Hi All

I manage to create the USB and Install to my laptop dell E6420.

it is fine until step 3.1 or should be 3.2 copy two kext of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext

i copy the command with modify volume name. There is no error mesage, but the two kext does not copy to hard disk.

any clue how to solve this?

Thank You