[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Run console.app and look at the timestamps to see what's taking so long.

What should I look for and also I get the error "Errors encountered while booting, Pausing 5 Seconds" what is that ?

What you should look for..? Didn't I just tell you...you even quoted it...I'll just repeat it then. Look at the timestamps from event to event, this way you should be able to pinpoint exactly which logged events are taking a suspiciously long time. I forgot to say that you should be looking at kernel.log and system.log.

"Errors encountered while booting" is the most annoying error message ever because it doesn't actually tell you anything. Therefore you must look in the logs at what happens immediately before and after that message.

I've followed this guide to the letter, and when I boot from chameleon into the installer, it shows the grey screen with apple logo, and then the machine reboots, never getting to the installer.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

doing a verbose mode on boot into the installer, it seems to hang on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] - screens turn off, then reboots.

I have this same issue. I tried this:

Try booting with -npci=0x2000 or if that doesn't work -npci=0x3000

But got the same problem. Is there anything else I can do? I'm running a Asus Sabertooth z77 with an i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) and a GTX 570.

It makes an OS X Mountain Lion install USB (the same as you would get from Apple) so it can be used to upgrade. I believe the procedure is to make the USB, boot into it, and simply install it to your current Lion partition without formatting anything

Guest xrodriguez

Keyboard, touchpad and USB mouse aren't working on installation point, so I cannot proceed :(

What can i do?

Try that USB mouse in as many different usb ports as you've got - it may be a slight error where OS X isn't picking up on a certain usb port, failing that are your keyboard & touchpad PS/2? If so place the kexts I've attached to this post in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb stick (the same place as described in 2.C.1.) and get back to me to let me know if it works or not.

PS2 kexts.zip

Guest xrodriguez

Try that USB mouse in as many different usb ports as you've got - it may be a slight error where OS X isn't picking up on a certain usb port, failing that are your keyboard & touchpad PS/2? If so place the kexts I've attached to this post in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb stick (the same place as described in 2.C.1.) and get back to me to let me know if it works or not.

Thank you so much, now the USB works !!

Next problem: "OSX Cannot be installed" :wallbash:

EDIT2: I think it's due to the old Macbook i've selected on SMBios

EDIT2: Fixed selecting a modern Macbook Pro with same Core 2 Duo. Now i'm gonna install :D

• Like 1

Well, on my g41m-es2l hack in my garage I never fixed the Ethernet port and only ran on wifi with a wn311b wifi card (not seen as an airport card) and I access the app store fine. There are work-a-rounds :-)

Quote/

Thank you very much, works like a charm on my Asus Maximus extreme.

Everything works with two additional kexts : "VoodooHDA 2.7.4" for supremeFX II PCI sound card and "LegacyAppleYukon2" (in E/E) for ethernet to work.

(+DSDT)

My Sapphire HD4870 1gb usually need "QE/Ci Exotic patch" to work fully but here with no modification I've got full QE/CI. Sweat.

Anyway thanks again for this tutorial really easy to follow !

Edit : "GraphicEnabler=No" otherwise it won't boot.

Evoreboot.kext in S/L/E or it won't shutdown

• Like 1

Hi, i am trying to follow this guide to install mountain lion but i get stuck at this point during the installation process.I get this line: can't perform kext scan : no next summary..i searched on the forum but i can't help myself...i have a p5q pro motherboardintel core duoati 4850 graphic card2 gb ram 800 mhzthanks in advancepost-443770-0-05541300-1343817072_thumb.jpg

I have followed your tutorial (great job by the way :)) but I still have a kernel panic during the installation...(see pictures attached)

It seems that I have a problem with FakeSMC: "FakeSMC: key info not found DPLM, length - 6

WKTP, length - 6

You can check my config in my signature.

Sorry if my english isn't really good :( I'm french :)

Thanks for your reply :)

post-676920-0-99673300-1343828656_thumb.jpg

post-676920-0-89605400-1343828807_thumb.jpg

<p>

Hi, i am trying to follow this guide to install mountain lion but i get stuck at this point during the installation process.I get this line: can't perform kext scan : no next summary..i searched on the forum but i can't help myself...i have a p5q pro motherboardintel core duoati 4850 graphic card2 gb ram 800 mhzthanks in advancepost-443770-0-05541300-1343817072_thumb.jpg
I will answer to myself: it's a matter of bios settings Go to the BIOS Setup > processor > "limit CPUID MaxVal= disable

Hi there,

That's a pretty thorough guide. The bit of discussion about the DSDT not withstanding, I found it pretty helpful, except that after the installer loads, it tells me that it can't install OSX on this machine. I'm using a Dell XPS M1530 Core2Duo 2.0 and Nvidia 8600 GS. I'm using a DSDT that injects my nvidia graphics support, and fixes a few other things. I'm currently running snow leopard. I've checked the specs, and I should be able to run Mountain Lion, but it doesn't seem to think so. any thoughts?

Oh, before I forget, I had to disable ApplePolicyControl.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns because it was causing a kernel panic, and the installer wouldn't load at all. I don't think that should be causing the problem I'm having though.

Thanks,

LULightTec

@rockinron_1

I followed your guide and I ran into a problem:

you says in the Part 2 - Creating the installer - 2.A. Preparing the USB

'5. Click Options -> select “GUID Partition Table”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”'

But my motherboard does not support the booting from the GUID usb stick. It simply frozes during the post screen.

So I had to use the mbr format and I successfully installed the osx.

I think you should suggest the mbr instead of guid. my motherboard was very popular - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

• Like 1

@rockinron_1

I followed your guide and I ran into a problem:

you says in the Part 2 - Creating the installer - 2.A. Preparing the USB

'5. Click Options -> select “GUID Partition Table”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”'

But my motherboard does not support the booting from the GUID usb stick. It simply frozes during the post screen.

So I had to use the mbr format and I successfully installed the osx.

I think you should suggest the mbr instead of guid. my motherboard was very popular - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

I might have run into the exact same problem. Didn't boot when trying to install with a GUID partitioned USB-stick. When I restored the usb-stick onto a partition on my (GUID partitioned) SSD, it worked fine.

@lulighttech, try a different symbios and check the spec of the symbios you use is compatible with ML

Each one I've used has been supposedly compatible according to the specs on the apple page. Any other thoughts?

His guys I'm following this guide to update my working 10.7.2 build on an ASUS P5W-DH but I'm having the usual graphics card problems. I have a 6870 and it's causing annoying problems shunting everything down to the lower quarter of the monitor meaning I have to guess where the buttons are in order to progress the installation. This also means I can't customise it to my system properly either. Anyone know what causes this?

Relatedly once it is installed I get the hang at 'DSMOS has arrived'. I know this is something to do with boot.plist and editing my graphics kexts but I can't seem to find a guide telling me exactly what to edit and how to do it.

Any ideas ?