[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

Mountain Lion Vanilla OS X Chameleon DSDT Beginner Guide How-to Yosemite 10.10

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
And it's like this: I have a non-airport wifi dongle which is my only working network device. I do not have an additional wired ethernet connection. I routed the compact adapter (displaying as not connected in Network prefs) through en2 (displaying as active in Network prefs), and can access the App Store.
No "additional wired ethernet connection at EN0 with the built-in property set is required," simply some clever configuration.

gorila1

gorila1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have my system based on GA-EP45-DS3 working flawlessly including sleep, speedstep and airport.

MB: GA-EP45-DS3 (BIOS F9)
Audio: AppleHDA Rollback
Ethernet: Lnx2Mac’s RealtekRTL81xx Etherner v0.0.90 for RTL8168C/8111C
Geforce 9500GT, 1024MB, GraphicEnabler
Kexts: just FakeSMC.kext in /S/L/E and patched AppleRTC from Lion in /S/L/E
DSDT: F9 – Tested before on SL and Lion, was working flawlessly

Airport: In ML, support for my good old SMCWPCIT-G was abandoned and editing of IO80211Family.kext doesn’t work anymore. Therefore, I have looked into ML IO80211Familly.kext to verify which cards were supported. I have found that Atheros AR5007 (AR5416+AR2133) with vendor ID 168C and device ID 23 is supported. Simple solution was to invested extra 30 EUR for Canyon CNP-WF511N2 which worked OOB.

Great Guide! Thanks! :king:

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
First, thanks for the great guide!

I've done everything and installed ML, but I can't seem to boot normally... I can boot only in safe mode :( when I boot verbose it hangs the following:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I tried deleting it inane repairing the permissions in safe mode , but it didn't work... I googled and saw that some people deleted the FireWire related kexts - tried that too, and it didn't worked... :(
What could be causing this, and how can I fix it, because it sucks using only safe boot...

Thanks in advance and thanks again for this awesome guide!

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
Repeat Part 3.3.B and ensure you get no errors. If that doesn't help take a photo of where it stops when booting with -v.

If my memory serves me right then that line isn't actually a problem when we've got NullCPUPowerManagement installed so the photo should help us see if there's a problem elsewhere.

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Repeat Part 3.3.B and ensure you get no errors. If that doesn't help take a photo of where it stops when booting with -v.

If my memory serves me right then that line isn't actually a problem when we've got NullCPUPowerManagement installed so the photo should help us see if there's a problem elsewhere.

I did the part again and it didn't work :( Here is a photo from the verbal boot
Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343488983.830470.jpg   216.96KB   247 downloads

hase091

hase091

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
All works perfectly on my HP DV6990el. After the 2° reboot, i've used migration assistant to keep my old account (iatkos l1, another hdd usb with all working kext) and the old kext works perfectly! i've only a problem. contacts and reminders wont work (like a crash at the start of app), imessage tells me "the server has reported an error during the elaboration of registration. try again" (translated by italian, sorry for my english :'D).

Ther's a way to fix this problems? i can open a thread if u need more configurations and kext about this pc :-)

Thanks.

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
So, I reinstalled and now I am getting the following on boot... Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343509352.469384.jpg   227.24KB   136 downloads
Before I reinstall, I've resettled my CMOS, because I read somewhere that is better to do so.
The screenshot is only with the flag -v.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

And it's like this: I have a non-airport wifi dongle which is my only working network device. I do not have an additional wired ethernet connection. I routed the compact adapter (displaying as not connected in Network prefs) through en2 (displaying as active in Network prefs), and can access the App Store.
No "additional wired ethernet connection at EN0 with the built-in property set is required," simply some clever configuration.

It's a neat trick. Hundreds of people are unable to get that to work, maybe you can help them.

0mar32

0mar32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
To be honest, I didn't use this method but is anybody having terrible boot times like me ?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
Run console.app and look at the timestamps to see what's taking so long.

0mar32

0mar32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Run console.app and look at the timestamps to see what's taking so long.

What should I look for and also I get the error "Errors encountered while booting, Pausing 5 Seconds" what is that ?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
What you should look for..? Didn't I just tell you...you even quoted it...I'll just repeat it then. Look at the timestamps from event to event, this way you should be able to pinpoint exactly which logged events are taking a suspiciously long time. I forgot to say that you should be looking at kernel.log and system.log.

"Errors encountered while booting" is the most annoying error message ever because it doesn't actually tell you anything. Therefore you must look in the logs at what happens immediately before and after that message.

0mar32

0mar32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
OK thank you for your help :D

MCleveland

MCleveland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I've followed this guide to the letter, and when I boot from chameleon into the installer, it shows the grey screen with apple logo, and then the machine reboots, never getting to the installer.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

doing a verbose mode on boot into the installer, it seems to hang on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] - screens turn off, then reboots.

I have this same issue. I tried this:

Try booting with -npci=0x2000 or if that doesn't work -npci=0x3000

But got the same problem. Is there anything else I can do? I'm running a Asus Sabertooth z77 with an i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) and a GTX 570.

dolan

dolan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Can I upgrade Snow Leopard with this install, or is it a clean install?

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
It makes an OS X Mountain Lion install USB (the same as you would get from Apple) so it can be used to upgrade. I believe the procedure is to make the USB, boot into it, and simply install it to your current Lion partition without formatting anything

Guest: xrodriguez_*

• Guests
Keyboard, touchpad and USB mouse aren't working on installation point, so I cannot proceed :(

What can i do?

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
Try that USB mouse in as many different usb ports as you've got - it may be a slight error where OS X isn't picking up on a certain usb port, failing that are your keyboard & touchpad PS/2? If so place the kexts I've attached to this post in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb stick (the same place as described in 2.C.1.) and get back to me to let me know if it works or not.

Attached Files

• Guests

Try that USB mouse in as many different usb ports as you've got - it may be a slight error where OS X isn't picking up on a certain usb port, failing that are your keyboard & touchpad PS/2? If so place the kexts I've attached to this post in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb stick (the same place as described in 2.C.1.) and get back to me to let me know if it works or not.

Thank you so much, now the USB works !!

Next problem: "OSX Cannot be installed" :wallbash:

EDIT2: I think it's due to the old Macbook i've selected on SMBios

EDIT2: Fixed selecting a modern Macbook Pro with same Core 2 Duo. Now i'm gonna install :D

nandor690

nandor690

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Well, on my g41m-es2l hack in my garage I never fixed the Ethernet port and only ran on wifi with a wn311b wifi card (not seen as an airport card) and I access the app store fine. There are work-a-rounds :-)
Quote/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Vanilla OS X, Chameleon, DSDT, Beginner, Guide, How-to, Yosemite, 10.10

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy