[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Search Google for NVEnabler

Well I got it, I edited my freshly new extracted DSDT, patch it manually with the Nvidia 9800GTX 512MB patch ant now it runs smoothly, I just got 2 problems VoodooPS2 reports some problems and Audio doesn't load.

I don't know if I need to patch the DSDT for making PS2 work properly and Audio :/

L3B3R in this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-retail-mavericksmountain-lion-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-211?do=findComment&comment=1957335 mentioned that he needed to inject his 9800GTX+ efi string into his org.chameleon.Boot.plist (can use OSX86Tools to get this.  See link to guide in my previous post) for his install USB to work.

Another way to inject would be via dsdt.  You might be able to use the one by Gringo for Elcapitan here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/243516-getting-9800gtx-to-be-recognized-correctly/?do=findComment&comment=1623162 if your card's device ID is 0x0612.

I've read on the ProjectOSX forum http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370&st=780 that people were having problems with NVEnabler after updating past 10.8.2.

I did try the device properties injection with no luck, now it runs with the DSTD patched.

Well I got it, I edited my freshly new extracted DSDT, patch it manually with the Nvidia 9800GTX 512MB patch ant now it runs smoothly, I just got 2 problems VoodooPS2 reports some problems and Audio doesn't load.

I don't know if I need to patch the DSDT for making PS2 work properly and Audio :/

I did try the device properties injection with no luck, now it runs with the DSTD patched.

DSDT patching for audio is no longer needed with HDAEnabler.kext

I just got 2 problems VoodooPS2 reports some problems and Audio doesn't load.

Have a look at Toleda's patched AppleHDA for Realtek ALC here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/130-realtek-alc888-applehda-audio/ .  Patching for audio in dsdt is optional (need HDAEnabler.kext in addition to patched AppleHDA.kext if you don't have patched audio in dsdt).

Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext ver 1.8.7 and above https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller fixed a bug which prevented the kext from loading on 10.9 Mavericks.

Hi rockinron_1

Thanks for creating this guide. I'm new to vanilla OSX installs so this looks like just what I needed although I haven't got very far trying to apply your instructions to Mavericks before I've got stuck.

First, even though I'm a newb, I've already spotted one step which could be made clearer. 2.B.4 says:

"4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while."

If someone more of a newb than myself tried that, it wouldn't work because you've neglected to mention that you also need to set the OSX Base System as the source either via its context menu or dragging it into the source selector. It'd be nice if you could clarify that step for completeness, thanks!

Anyway, the point where I get stuck trying to use this guide with Mavericks is step 2.B.7:

"7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while."

I don't see a packages folder within the ESD image. Hopefully this was the case with ML/L but isn't required any more with Mavericks else I'm going blind or you've neglected to give the full/correct path to this folder?

Thanks for your help!

Hi rockinron_1

Thanks for creating this guide. I'm new to vanilla OSX installs so this looks like just what I needed although I haven't got very far trying to apply your instructions to Mavericks before I've got stuck.

First, even though I'm a newb, I've already spotted one step which could be made clearer. 2.B.4 says:

"4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while."

If someone more of a newb than myself tried that, it wouldn't work because you've neglected to mention that you also need to set the OSX Base System as the source either via its context menu or dragging it into the source selector. It'd be nice if you could clarify that step for completeness, thanks!

Anyway, the point where I get stuck trying to use this guide with Mavericks is step 2.B.7:

"7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while."

I don't see a packages folder within the ESD image. Hopefully this was the case with ML/L but isn't required any more with Mavericks else I'm going blind or you've neglected to give the full/correct path to this folder?

Thanks for your help!

Hey, point 2.B.4 noted, will update tonight.

Point 2.B.7: On your Mavericks.app right click -> show package contents -> Shared Support -> Double click InstallESD. This should mount it and the packages folder is the only folder you can see in the image.

If that doesn't work:

After mounting InstallESD open Terminal (in applications -> utilities). Type:

cd /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"

then:

ls

You should see an output like:

BaseSystem.chunklist    BaseSystem.dmg        Packages

Verify this then get back to me

Thanks for your quick reply Ron!

Oh dear! I'm very sorry for wasting your time asking about the packages. The reason I didn't see it is beyond  noob - it was just plain dumb! My finder window was too small, horizontally, to display the Packages dir when in icon mode! For some earth-shatteringly dumb reason I didn't see the scroll bar had room for maneuver. As soon as I switched Finder out of icon view mode it was visible without scrolling. At least I provided something worthwhile in that last post to make up for it slightly!

I'm going to continue with the rest of your guide now so I'll be back with more questions and/or suggestions for improvement (less likely) soon no doubt!

Thanks again! :D

Heh no problem, have done that myself before (Part 6.5 in the guide will fix the folder layout).

There's some very minor differences between Mavericks & Lion/ML which may not be ironed out of the forum post (updating it as we speak) so use the attachment rather than the post.

I'm back! Didn't want to keep you waiting! ;)

As you recommended, I'm following the PDF now instead of the first post.

I've got as far as step 2.2.2. I've downloaded the latest trunk Chameleon pkg (r2266) but unfortunately it crashes as soon as I click 'Continue' on its Introduction page. This is under iATKOS S3 (SL 10.6.3). I've not looked into and I am wary of attempting an upgrade of iATKOS. I'd presume it is possible to update it to at least a later version of SL but I've not looked into it yet. I'd also like to avoid having to acquire Xcode just to compile one small app so this situation has brought up the following questions:

1 - Can I use Chameleon Wizard to install Cham. instead of the official installer?

2 - Is there any difference in the resulting install if I do it with CW vs official?

3 - If I use CW, what install method should I pick. 'Boot0hfs' I presume?

4 - What it the difference between the Enoch and Trunk Chameleon packages? Why do you recommend Trunk over Enoch?

I'm sure this guide is going to be slick as hell by the time I'm done with my nit-picking and probing!

1/2. In theory you should be able to use Chameleon Wizard (I haven't tried it myself to actually install chameleon). It may be that the chameleon installer requires a newer version of OS X

3. boot0hfs should be fine.

4. AFAIK nothing. Enoch is a renown member of the community & the chameleon team. From what I understand the Enoch revision simply means he compiled it personally (I may be wrong on this though).

If the bootloader fails to install / doesn't boot then it can be installed manually with relative ease, see here (and give me a shout if you run into any problems):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/164809-how-to-install-chameleon-manually-v-2-and-v-1/

I've finished part 2 now.

I tried Enoch's installer too but it crashed at the same point so I've installed the latest Cham using CW and it seems to have installed without prob. It may be worth brieflly mentioning this as an alternate way to install Cham in the guide as I won't be the only one having to do the setup from an outdated OSX.

The link given to the MBR fix in section 2.3 is out of date but it was easy enough for me to find it just by searching for MBR on OSX86. The correct link for Mavericks now seems to be:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3559-new-os-x-109-mavericks-mbr-patch-final-gm/

Let's see if it boots!

It booted alright, but it also looks like I may have just killed my brand new Gazelle Pro laptop that I got 3 days ago in the process! What's worse is I'll have to ship it back to the US from the UK and I expect they'll make me pay for at least half of the postage - hopefully not but I'd be lucky!

My Gazelle Pro is very similar, hardware-wise, to the HP laptop RehabMan has. He documented how he got Mavericks installed w/ pretty much all his hardware fully working in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

I followed the first two parts of this guide (the vanilla install guide) to the letter with the two exceptions of not including the NullCPUPM kext (as I'd read not to in Rehab's Haswell thread) and I used the kernel from the RehabMan instead of using the stock one. I used the MBP8,3 SMBios as recommended in the first post of both Rehab's guide and this guide.

I was happy to see the installer get much further than myHack did in that it didn't crash after choosing the language. Install seemed to go fine until there was about 5m remaining which is when my computer started beeping. I did realise that this likely meant it was starting to overheat but I'd just spent 3 full days trying to get 10.9 to install and I was almost at the finish line so I thought I'd see if it could survive a few more minutes and it seems that was a fatal mistake as my laptop shut down with 2m left to go of the install and it will not turn back on now!

I think its prob. best that I be upfront with them and tell them exactly how it died and hope that installing OSX isn't cause for voiding my 1 year warranty. I've done 1000's of OS installs (of Linux and Windows) and I've never killed a machine before. Is this something that happens frequently with Hackintoshes?

As for this guide, I think it may be best to add a warning to others to INSTANTLY turn off their computer if it starts emitting a loud beep every couple of seconds during installation so no-one else ends up in my sorry state!

1. I've never seen a hackintosh die due to it being a hackintosh.

2. AFAIK all modern CPUs will reduce their multiplier to prevent overheating (SpeedStep).

Here's what I think (Disclaimer: I have zero experience with RehabMans kernel) and it's assuming that your CPU is actually the problem.

I would hazard a guess his kernel isn't reading your P-States (or he has some hard coding for frequency / multipliers going on), it's very possible you've unknowningly overlocked your CPU and due to the custom kernel that's loaded SpeedStep hasn't been able to lower the multipliers to reduce temperature thus burning it out.

I'm pretty sure this would void your warranty but I don't think the company would be able to prove it unless you told them.

Even if that wasn't the case you should have been installing VANILLA. Once you've installed OS X then you can change things since you can monitor hardware easily.

I'll take a look at his thread / kernel tomorrow if I get time...

Hi rockinron_1!

You're saying I wasn't installing vanilla because I used Rehabman's kernel instead of the normal one, right? From my experience at trying to install Mavericks using the stock kernel + myHack and also from what I've read elsewhere (like Rehab's thread), installing 100% vanilla isn't possible on Haswell as you don't even get as far as the installer. OSX reboots a couple of seconds after boot unless you're using Rehab's kernel. RehabMan's kernel is identical to the stock 10.9 kernel except it doesn't have the new XNU (?) PM stuff compiled in as apparently that isn't open source.

You're prob right that I should play it safe and pretend I wasn't trying to install OSX, just in case they void my warranty as its too much of a blow to take the risk. As well as being the first laptop I've ever bought (my existing one was donated to me so is quite outdated and faulty) its also the most expensive thing I've ever bought, having never bought a new car or a house or anything like that. I've not checked to see if it has any warranty tags/seals that may break if I try to remove the HD to remove the OSX partition as thats what I'll have to do if I'm going to pretend I wasn't attempting a Hackintosh install.

DSDT patching for audio is no longer needed with HDAEnabler.kext

Thank i did it already, rip off the DSDT HDEF part, added HDAEnabler and modded AppleHDA and it works.

Have a look at Toleda's patched AppleHDA for Realtek ALC here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/130-realtek-alc888-applehda-audio/ .  Patching for audio in dsdt is optional (need HDAEnabler.kext in addition to patched AppleHDA.kext if you don't have patched audio in dsdt).

Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext ver 1.8.7 and above https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller fixed a bug which prevented the kext from loading on 10.9 Mavericks.

Thanks a lot.

I take out the PS2 trackpad kext inside plugins of VoodooPS2Controller and it works

Audio is OK with HDAEnabler.

:D

The mbr formatted install USB can still create and install to a GUID partitioned hard drive.  You only need to patch the USB installer with Nawcom's OSInstall(MBR) if your OSX target hard disk is partitioned as MBR and you want to install into it.  The target HD itself does not need it.

Thanks for the guide :D.. It's my first time building my own hackintosh  :D

I have some problems though,  :( I already followed until step 3.1, where my PC always rebooting after i choose to boot from my USB (first install), just barely saw the apple screen.... and then it reboot it's self.

I can't show the verbose, cause it's too fast...

Already trying with GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v, -v -x -f.. all to no avail.

Anyone has suggestion?

Sorry for my bad English..

My hardware is :

Intel i7 3770K (Ivy Bridge)

Asus P8Z77 V-Deluxe(latest bios from asus) *edit already flashed my BIOS from samisnake's repo (1805), but still no avail too

Hitachi 2TB

Corsair XMS 4GB x 2

Nvidia GTX 660 Ti x 2

Regards, Michael

Hi macgirl.

A few things you might try (one by one first)

• Like 1

Hey Folks,

I've been trying to follow this guide to do an install on an Asus S56C Ultrabook.

I can't get the machine to get past the grey apple screen. 

When booting with -f -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No the system hangs here:

HWSensors Project Copyright 2013 netksa, slice,.....

FakeSMCDevice: 15 preconfigured key(s) added

FakeSMCDevice: 0 key(s) exported from Clover EFI

SMC: successfully initialized

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey Folks,

I've been trying to follow this guide to do an install on an Asus S56C Ultrabook.

I can't get the machine to get past the grey apple screen. 

When booting with -f -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No the system hangs here:

Anyone have any ideas?

FakeSMCDevice: 15 preconfigured key(s) added

FakeSMCDevice: 0 key(s) exported from Clover EFI

Are you using clover EFI as bootloader or chameleon on your install USB?

What SMBIOS are you using?

Is the graphics on your machine HD 4000 only or is it switchable with an nVidia card?  Might need to disable NVidia card in BIOS or remove the NVDA* and GeForce* kexts from /System/Library/Extension eg http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286196-asus-a56cm-k56cm-tutorial-ml-1082/

Might try activating your HD 4000 graphics with Graphics Enabler=Yes and IntelCapriFB=a_value from 0 to 11 in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist (see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288241-intel-hd4000-and-haswell-inject-aaplig-platform-id/ ) . Guide to choosing ig-platform-id http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/ (eg for IntelCapriFB=9, set graphics mem to 64MB in BIOS).

HI, i have some problem to select with utility disco where to install OS X. I made the USB with ML like in the guide, on the startup boot I press enter the chamaleon make something, and then it tell me to restart pc! i can't go into utility and select in wich HDD install OS X

could u help me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suyvou2wetavxnz/2013-11-20%2016.44.29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zl9bsh7di8qi9f/2013-11-20%2016.44.41.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c72ymrnchz6yjv/2013-11-20%2016.45.06.jpg

here is some pic, i hope they will explain much more better my problem.

thanks