[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

That is strange, I'm not sure how removing a kext could do that unless you've managed to accidentally mess with something else.

I was one of the first on the board to come across the hd6870 issue, theres a thread here which later described the process but its essentially what I said above:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280582

Double check your using a smbios with your GFX card in the description (although I don't believe that absolutely necessary). You could take you smbios from your old system to eradicate the doubt completely

My Linksys (Ralink RT73) USB dongle is of course not recognized as an "Airport," yet I have no problem logging on to the App Store. Simply rerouted the feed through one of my ethernet ports, so it appears to be a hard line, though it's entirely wi-fi.

Yes that's a neat trick but beside the point. Of course you can access and use the App store via wireless ethernet.

Disable your wired ethernet in the BIOS and the app store will stop working.

Hi,

I'm following this guide to install dual boot on my laptop on single HD, i patched the installer to work with MBR, but when try to format the partition from disk utility i'm getting following error

"volume erase failed couldn't modify partiton map"

my OSX partiton is Primary

How to fix this ?

I've followed this guide to the letter, and when I boot from chameleon into the installer, it shows the grey screen with apple logo, and then the machine reboots, never getting to the installer.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

doing a verbose mode on boot into the installer, it seems to hang on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] - screens turn off, then reboots.

Yes that's a neat trick but beside the point. Of course you can access and use the App store via wireless ethernet.

Disable your wired ethernet in the BIOS and the app store will stop working.

Obviously.

Thought your point was "(The App Store app) will not work with wireless cards that aren't recognized as "Airport"?

It will work with any compatible wireless card, whether recognized as "Airport" or not.

Perhaps I'm missing your point?

Nice guide, confirmed working with GIGABYTE EP35-DS3L, E8400 core2duo and 9800GT.

Interesting that on first boot, there was no graphics acceleration. I removed the enabler options in the chameleon plist and then used an EFI string created with an old application called EFI studio, booted - it worked.

Next, I booted again, and now the system would not boot to desktop, stuck on a grey screen.

I then removed the EFI string and renabled the "graphics enabler=Yes" option, and the next boot, everything works perfectly now, including graphics acceleration.

Thanks very much for the guide.

Confirmed working with:

Asus P5QL Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93

Asus GE Force 9500GT

Onkyo SE-90PCI (w/ driver by "audiodriverwriter" and modded by "studio kuma")

Boot w/

Graphics Mode

1920x1080x32

GraphicsEnabler

Yes

EthernetBuiltIn

Yes

I've followed this guide to the letter, and when I boot from chameleon into the installer, it shows the grey screen with apple logo, and then the machine reboots, never getting to the installer.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

doing a verbose mode on boot into the installer, it seems to hang on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] - screens turn off, then reboots.

Try booting with -npci=0x2000 or if that doesn't work -npci=0x3000

Try booting with -npci=0x2000 or if that doesn't work -npci=0x3000

I'll try it when I get home tonight.. I have a feeling it has something to do with my video card drivers.

I got a modified kext that bypassed the pci configuration issue, but then it would hang on DSMOS Has Arrived.

Quick googling mentioned that it could be video card drivers -- I have an nVidia Geforce 470; I replaced the Mountain Lion NVDA kexts with the ones from the 270 release, but it still hangs.. should I just delete all video kexts? Would that work?

Perhaps I'm missing your point?

It's like this: If you have a non-airport wireless card as your only working network device you will not be able to use the App store.

An additional wired ethernet connection at EN0 with the built-in property set is required. A driver must be loaded and the device must be working, but it does not have to be active in network preferences.

• Like 1

And it's like this: I have a non-airport wifi dongle which is my only working network device. I do not have an additional wired ethernet connection. I routed the compact adapter (displaying as not connected in Network prefs) through en2 (displaying as active in Network prefs), and can access the App Store.

No "additional wired ethernet connection at EN0 with the built-in property set is required," simply some clever configuration.

I have my system based on GA-EP45-DS3 working flawlessly including sleep, speedstep and airport.

MB: GA-EP45-DS3 (BIOS F9)

Audio: AppleHDA Rollback

Ethernet: Lnx2Mac’s RealtekRTL81xx Etherner v0.0.90 for RTL8168C/8111C

Geforce 9500GT, 1024MB, GraphicEnabler

Kexts: just FakeSMC.kext in /S/L/E and patched AppleRTC from Lion in /S/L/E

DSDT: F9 – Tested before on SL and Lion, was working flawlessly

Airport: In ML, support for my good old SMCWPCIT-G was abandoned and editing of IO80211Family.kext doesn’t work anymore. Therefore, I have looked into ML IO80211Familly.kext to verify which cards were supported. I have found that Atheros AR5007 (AR5416+AR2133) with vendor ID 168C and device ID 23 is supported. Simple solution was to invested extra 30 EUR for Canyon CNP-WF511N2 which worked OOB.

Great Guide! Thanks! :king:

First, thanks for the great guide!

I've done everything and installed ML, but I can't seem to boot normally... I can boot only in safe mode :( when I boot verbose it hangs the following:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I tried deleting it inane repairing the permissions in safe mode , but it didn't work... I googled and saw that some people deleted the FireWire related kexts - tried that too, and it didn't worked... :(

What could be causing this, and how can I fix it, because it sucks using only safe boot...

Thanks in advance and thanks again for this awesome guide!

Repeat Part 3.3.B and ensure you get no errors. If that doesn't help take a photo of where it stops when booting with -v.

If my memory serves me right then that line isn't actually a problem when we've got NullCPUPowerManagement installed so the photo should help us see if there's a problem elsewhere.

Repeat Part 3.3.B and ensure you get no errors. If that doesn't help take a photo of where it stops when booting with -v.

If my memory serves me right then that line isn't actually a problem when we've got NullCPUPowerManagement installed so the photo should help us see if there's a problem elsewhere.

I did the part again and it didn't work :( Here is a photo from the verbal boot

post-1033311-13434889867168_thumb.jpg

All works perfectly on my HP DV6990el. After the 2° reboot, i've used migration assistant to keep my old account (iatkos l1, another hdd usb with all working kext) and the old kext works perfectly! i've only a problem. contacts and reminders wont work (like a crash at the start of app), imessage tells me "the server has reported an error during the elaboration of registration. try again" (translated by italian, sorry for my english :'D).

Ther's a way to fix this problems? i can open a thread if u need more configurations and kext about this pc :-)

Thanks.

So, I reinstalled and now I am getting the following on boot... post-1033311-13435093588085_thumb.jpg

Before I reinstall, I've resettled my CMOS, because I read somewhere that is better to do so.

The screenshot is only with the flag -v.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

And it's like this: I have a non-airport wifi dongle which is my only working network device. I do not have an additional wired ethernet connection. I routed the compact adapter (displaying as not connected in Network prefs) through en2 (displaying as active in Network prefs), and can access the App Store.

No "additional wired ethernet connection at EN0 with the built-in property set is required," simply some clever configuration.

It's a neat trick. Hundreds of people are unable to get that to work, maybe you can help them.