[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Hi every body,

I've managed to install Mac OS X on my HP Pavilion DV6-6V50SE, after that I've moved to step 3.1 "Fixing the OS X install" and opened the Terminal I can't write any commands, it seems like the keyboard is not recognized, any help is appreciated.. Thanks.

Hi every body,

I've managed to install Mac OS X on my HP Pavilion DV6-6V50SE, after that I've moved to step 3.1 "Fixing the OS X install" and opened the Terminal I can't write any commands, it seems like the keyboard is not recognized, any help is appreciated.. Thanks.

USB keyboard? PS2 wont work without patches

I have followed the instruction from the first post. However, I couldn't locate the mach_kernel as stated in the following quoted paragraph: "

8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive".

Obviously, when I tried to boot the USB it failed. I already looked under "Mac OS X Install ESD" but couldn't find the mach_kernel file. Where could it be? (Note: I am installing the Lion (not ML) on my Thinkpad X61 (not tablet) laptop). Thank you for your help.

I have followed the instruction from the first post. However, I couldn't locate the mach_kernel as stated in the following quoted paragraph: "

8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive".

Obviously, when I tried to boot the USB it failed. I already looked under "Mac OS X Install ESD" but couldn't find the mach_kernel file. Where could it be? (Note: I am installing the Lion (not ML) on my Thinkpad X61 (not tablet) laptop). Thank you for your help.

Did you show the hidden files and folders?

mach_kernel is hidden file.

Thanks a lot!

I have Panic CPU

maybe my system is too old?

I'm used to have 10.6.8 with some problem really.

MB Intel DQ965GF

Cpu Intel Core2 duo 6420 2.13Ghz

Ram 2GB

VB Ati radeon 5450

I tried some chameleon configurations and kext, but after the kext loading i have kernel panic

in gui mode, display apple logo and over it text all over the screen and the screen becomes darker every time it rewrite

"BSD process name corresponding to current tread: Unknown"

Some one have any ideas???

Thank you all!

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm nearly there...

What does step 4.1 mean?

I'm booting into the usb stick but selecting osx from where?

What does step 4.1 mean?

I'm booting into the usb stick but selecting osx from where?

Hi, you should have a new entry - representing the new OS X installation - at the boot loader screen when you start from the USB drive.

When I select usb booting from the BIOS - (like I have all through this guide) it takes me to the installation screen again.

Once there, I can reinstall, which I did, and it was a total waste of time. Or I can use Utilities, or I can select startup disk, which just re-boots again and gives me the same options back to the BIOS.

If I choose OSX from the BIOS it will not load.... says failed to load SMC driver. This is probably because I removed it using the terminal.

Am I missing something?

When I select usb booting from the BIOS - (like I have all through this guide) it takes me to the installation screen again.

Usually you should see a menu where you can select the system you want to boot and you should also be able to change the boot arguments like -v for verbose boot etc.

If I choose OSX from the BIOS it will not load.... says failed to load SMC driver. This is probably because I removed it using the terminal.

That's normal because you need to emulate the SMC which is done with the FakeSMC extension which in turn is added to OS X by the Chameleon boot manager.

You need to find a way to reach the Chameleon menu. Maybe you didn't get the newest version? (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/)

Thanks for your input so far....

I'm still having trouble with step 4.1 and I've posted some screen shots for you to see.

This is the first screen I see after turning the computer on. I press F12 here. (If I don't, I go straight to the third photo).

IMG_3122.jpg

So after pressing F12 I get this screen. Here I choose UEFI: USB USB HARD DRIVE.

IMG_3123.jpg

Then I get this screen. If I choose OSX Base System, I get the installer. If I choose OS X then I get the error (see next pic)

Here is where I type boot flags -v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=no USBbusFix=yes

IMG_3124.jpg

So here is where it gets stuck.

IMG_3125.jpg

It can't locate the SMC driver and I believe that is what I removed (FakeSMC.kext) in the terminal in step 3.1 - 3. So I understand what you mean that is normal.

My Chameleon is 2.2-r2191 I believe that is the latest. Is that the one you mean?

I really appreciate the help so far. Please keep it coming, I'm nearly there!!

Thanks

hando

Edited by hando

Oh, I see. Thanks for the pictures. 3B describes the copy process, not the delete process. As long as you entered the commands as described, you should have copied the FakeSMC into your new OS X installation.

I believe the problem is the kernel cache which currently stores all extensions (to speed up the boot process) but the FakeSMC.

Add -f to your boot arguments, it will disable the cache and load all extensions from /S/L/E directly.

PS: Forget what I said about Chameleon adding the FakeSMC. It is possible but not part of this guide.

hando:

Double check you have instaled FakeSMC correctly (do step 3.B again).

Then as iFire says boot with only -v

If that doesn't work try booting with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes

In both cases post a screenshot if it fails to boot

• Like 1

I'm having problems with creating restoring Mac OS X Base System to the USB Stick. It says Could not restore. I opened the log and it says Checksum failed. What should I do?

Redownload the image and try again

The image is not the problem. I restored it once, then I made some mistakes, so I decided to start the guide from the beginning. Now, when I restore it gives me that error.

Solved! I just unchecked "Erase Destination" in DiskUtility ;) Now, I have a problem with Chameleon Installer. It gets stuck on "Writing package receipt".

Many thanks. It worked with just -v

However I realised that when I used terminal I didn't recognise the space after .kext and I just went on typing. So that probably didn't help :) Anyway, I re-typed it in correctly, and now with a working ML I'm very pleased and relieved.

I can't wait to get into the DSDT and iron out some of the problems.

Hello All, I have some questions, I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO mainboard/Intel HD 3000 IGPU with i7-2600k cpu and ATI HD 5670 videocard/discrete card, I want to start my hackingtosh project, I already pmpatch my bios, all went fine, now after reading a lot about DSDT, these questions I want to ask: Can I make the install of the mac os already with and edited DSDT/SSDT and straitght install and after no further modification of the DSDT/SSDT, or I can edit the DSDT/SSDT only after the install of the mac os, if I can do both, wich variant is better? Also do i need at this time DSDT patches? or all the functions of my mb are already native supported/unlocked with the latest mac os since my mainboard is already old? I saw a lot of guides related to mainboards as mine or almost same as mine, can somebody recommend the most recent/latest updated guide on how to install the mac os on my mb or similar so I can go with that one. Thanks a lot in advance!