[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

Mountain Lion Vanilla OS X Chameleon DSDT Beginner Guide How-to Yosemite 10.10

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

CoolMarquis97

CoolMarquis97

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If i have Mountain Lion on the same flash drive as the MAC OSX installer and all that, will that become a problem?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Do you mean you want to install Mountain Lion onto the same disk that the installer is on? If so, you can make 2 partitions, one for the installer, and the second one to install osx onto.

starobrno1

starobrno1

InsanelyMac Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
If you want you can replace the thumb drive and create two partitions on your hard drive instead. Just make a partition the same size as the recommended size for the thumbdrive in this guide and one more for your ML install. Then just follow this guide and you're good to go. The benefit of this is you will always have the "thumb drive" partition present if things go wrong and you need to re install. You can even create a folder on the "thumb drive" partition for your special kexts and apps (like kext utility etc etc) you need for your personal hardware. If things go wrong and you did it like this you can be up running in no time again since installing from an internal hard drive beats installing from USB thumbdrive big time.

miki2o

miki2o

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
When i follow the point 3.A.2 the installer don't start and it blocks on loading with the apple...i tried verbose boot and the last string is about bluetooth and say that the test IOBluetooth was completed... Any solutions please?

tepaks

tepaks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48 +
    x86/x64 PC
    x86/x64 iHack
Hi,

I've tried this method but without success. In verbose mode last thing I see is "Legacy USB Off done" the screen goes black and computer resets.
Same computer runs 10.7.5 in full 64 bit mode without a glitch. Different boot flags make no difference. I've copied DSDT and SMBIOS from this working machine.

[ EDITED ] Iv'e found the solution. More details here

yellowpebble

yellowpebble

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I tried but I can boot and see usb drive at chameleon. And I clicked usb drive, then white screen.
Please let me know what I am wrong.

zeno.dalla

zeno.dalla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:PCs
    Music
Attached File  Resoconto installazione 23-ott-2012.txt   5.92KB   4 downloads

Hi, i'm italian so i could do some grammar errors :)

when i boot it says that i can't install mac on this machine because is not compatible...now i will upload the log that i've saved..can someone help me please?

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts

I tried but I can boot and see usb drive at chameleon. And I clicked usb drive, then white screen.
Please let me know what I am wrong.

ATi 6000 series card by any chance? If not boot with -v and post screenshots

Attached File  Resoconto installazione 23-ott-2012.txt   5.92KB   4 downloads

Hi, i'm italian so i could do some grammar errors :)

when i boot it says that i can't install mac on this machine because is not compatible...now i will upload the log that i've saved..can someone help me please?

Use a different smbios, you've used one from an older mac that doesn't support mountain lion. Don't worry about being too strict with the smbios, just find something that resembles your machine but is modern enough. See here for compatible macs:
http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Could somebody tell me what is the best SMBIOS to use that would match my HP Laptop closely.

Thanks NSCXP2005

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
Go with an old macbook pro one, 1,1 or 3,1. But your going to have problems with the gma950 graphics

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Where would I get an SMBIOS for them types?

Will I be able to use it with ML?

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
Part 2.C.

You should but with reduced graphics support

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Thanks

Marino77

Marino77

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I've downloaded the ML App from the appStore but i can't find the "Shared Resources" folder inside the package contents of teh Install App, I've enabled the hidden files no folder with that name is there.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 396 posts
Right click the installer -> show package contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport.

If it isn't there you need to re-download it

gomango

gomango

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
CAN'T REACH ML INSTALLATION SCREEN

Hi. I'm trying to install ML on my hacktintosh that I've been running SL 10.6.8 on for quite a while and have followed this guide (thanks for the guide!). However, when I try to boot the USB stick I created my machine reboots before I get to the installation screen.

The last thing I see when I run with the verbose flag is:

Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: uuid=9b98.... rd=*uuid npci=0x2000 -v

I chose imac8,1 as the smbios. My rig specs are:
Core2Duo E6400
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2GB RAM
Asus 8400GS Video

Could somebody please help me take the next step to reach the installation screen?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot to go with my last post attached!

Attached Files

cdnGHOST

cdnGHOST

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey all, So i followed the instructions to the letter... except that it is 10.8.2 not 10.8
I can boot into ML picture looks great but have a HUGE problem...
No internet... So I cant install DSDT editor as it needs a Java 6 Runtime environment etc...

My Specs are in my sig...

could it by that i am using the UEFI bios??

Also my AMD Radeon HD 5870 shows up as a 5000.... any way to correct this?

Thanks

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
OK, since your posting I'll assume you can access the internet with something at least. There's DSDT way and non-DSDT way, or you can even download Java from Oracle using another machine, here is link to latest OSX build

Non-DSDT fix for 5870, add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Specifying the number of ports is not mandatory, but a good idea

Also Attached File  LSPCI.zip   288.33KB   7 downloads can be used for additional PCI device info without need for Java unlike with SystemInfo.app which does require Java.Once installed and rebooted, terminal command to get divice list with Device and Vendor ID's:
lspci -b -nn

2 options for ethernet, official Realtek Attached File  RTGNICv2.0.6For10.7.zip   147.09KB   5 downloads or Lnx2mac's version Attached File  RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.zip   472.07KB   3 downloads

Both have their own installer, don't allow both to be installed at the same time, one or the other. Also if neither will allow ethernet to work, change location either from /System/Library/Extension and instead inside the IO80211Family.kext plugins folder, or if already in plugins folder, try instead in System/Library/Extension. Use kext wizard to install and repair permission and boot cache after any changes, or use terminal to instal and repair permissions and cache with it. To install with Terminal, open terminal from /Application/Utilities/ and type:
cp -R
then drag and drop the kext into terminal window, then type the desired install location and hit enter. Example:
sudo cp -R /Users/eep357/Downloads/RTL81169.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/
*Note the space between the file path and the path to be installed to.

Then to repair permissions type:
diskutil repairPermissions /
to rebuild cache type:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

cdnGHOST

cdnGHOST

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

OK, since your posting I'll assume you can access the internet with something at least. There's DSDT way and non-DSDT way, or you can even download Java from Oracle using another machine, here is link to latest OSX build

Non-DSDT fix for 5870, add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Specifying the number of ports is not mandatory, but a good idea

Also Attached File  LSPCI.zip   288.33KB   7 downloads can be used for additional PCI device info without need for Java unlike with SystemInfo.app which does require Java.Once installed and rebooted, terminal command to get divice list with Device and Vendor ID's:
lspci -b -nn

2 options for ethernet, official Realtek Attached File  RTGNICv2.0.6For10.7.zip   147.09KB   5 downloads or Lnx2mac's version Attached File  RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.zip   472.07KB   3 downloads

Both have their own installer, don't allow both to be installed at the same time, one or the other. Also if neither will allow ethernet to work, change location either from /System/Library/Extension and instead inside the IO80211Family.kext plugins folder, or if already in plugins folder, try instead in System/Library/Extension. Use kext wizard to install and repair permission and boot cache after any changes, or use terminal to instal and repair permissions and cache with it. To install with Terminal, open terminal from /Application/Utilities/ and type:
cp -R
then drag and drop the kext into terminal window, then type the desired install location and hit enter. Example:
sudo cp -R /Users/eep357/Downloads/RTL81169.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/
*Note the space between the file path and the path to be installed to.

Then to repair permissions type:
diskutil repairPermissions /
to rebuild cache type:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Ok, so I have the video card reporting normally except for one thing... The card is reporting as a 5870 but under PCIe Lane Width it shows x8.. its plugged into as x16 slot.... is this just a reporting issue or is there something wrong?
Audio and ethernet are working as is the trim enabler...

so far all seems to be working awesome just need to test the video card to make sure its working 100% ill report back shortly

Thanks eep

gomango

gomango

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

CAN'T REACH ML INSTALLATION SCREEN

Hi. I'm trying to install ML on my hacktintosh that I've been running SL 10.6.8 on for quite a while and have followed this guide (thanks for the guide!). However, when I try to boot the USB stick I created my machine reboots before I get to the installation screen.

The last thing I see when I run with the verbose flag is:

Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: uuid=9b98.... rd=*uuid npci=0x2000 -v

I chose imac8,1 as the smbios. My rig specs are:
Core2Duo E6400
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2GB RAM
Asus 8400GS Video

Could somebody please help me take the next step to reach the installation screen?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot to go with my last post attached!

OK, so I'm replying to my own post just in case it helps somebody else who finds themselves in the same situation. I managed to get to the installer by remaking my USB stick. I turned out that I had made two mistakes: (i) I had chosen MBR instead of GUID when I originally partitioned my USB stick - it only works with GUID / GPT; and (ii) I had chosen the wrong SMBIOS.plist - my tip here is to choose a mac model that is close to your CPU AND your graphics card. I had only chosen a model close to my CPU but which had a different graphics card and this was also causing me problems.

I hope this helps someone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Vanilla OS X, Chameleon, DSDT, Beginner, Guide, How-to, Yosemite, 10.10

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy