[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

You really don't need to be too strickt with smbios, if imac 12.2 doesn't work try mac book air 5.2 (or any other smbios with hd4000 graphics as part of it).

People use MacPro 3.1 because it used to be a good generic one for LGA775 so distros etc use it. I'd be surprised if it didn't work straight away with the correct extra folder name.

OK, good to know. I think I will give it a shot with the MacBook Pro 9.2 as it not only have HD4000 graphics but also native USB3.0 support.

its almost certainly a smbios issue; your extra folder his called "Ekstra" change it to "Extra"

As soon as I renamed the folder, then the install went trough.

Now I used the SMBios from a MacBook Pro 9.2 and have run into a new problem - first I did not have any Ethernet support (even that the org.chameleon.Boot.plist have Ethernet build in set to yes), so I installed the RLT81xx driver from here http://lnx2mac.blogspot.dk/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html.

Small problem there is that the LAN adapter name in Network Utility is now called Ethernet Adapter (en0) (en0) as that was what the driver install proposed and I just said yes. I think it is because of the strange name that I can not login to App Store!

How to fix and get the correct name or is there another reason why my App store is not working?

Someone told me App Store look after the MAC address on the LAN adapter and on Hackintosh' it sometimes can not find it and therefor blocks access - how to inject a MAC address to the directory App Store uses?

Hello!

First of all thank you for this guide. BUT... I'm now on SL 10.6.8, works fine. I tried to apply every step from the manual, but I get always stuck after the bootloader comes up (and I monitor with -v). What happens is that at nearly the end of the kernel and extensions load-up I get for a fracture of a second "pci root not found" and my machine instantly restarts. I tried with PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes and different combinations (PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 and so on...) but no success.

I bought ML from the Appstore using the usual tricks to pretend that I#m on a real Mac, so the OSX should be ok...

I'm currently running a Gigabyte g33-ds3r with a Intel core2 duo quad, NVIDIA GTX285.

Thank you in advance, sVendetta

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, hoping someone can help with this issue. I'm Trying to set up 10.8 vanilla on my ASUS K53E-D31H (Sandy Bridge, Core i3 2330M, 4GB 1600, Intel HD 3000), and I've used steps from this guide to get there, with a little help from Waiting for root device when....but on boot after install (should be step 4), I get this far:

booted with -v flag, goes through the boot process and stops here:

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

NTFS Driver 3.10 [Flags R/W].

NTFS volume name OS, version 3.1.

[[EDIT: just now when I ran it, it also gave me "macx_swapon SUCCESS" and then proceeded with the hang...]]

[[EDIT 2: after making sure that the the AppleIntel*.kexts were removed from /S/L/E/, I get the "SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload" twice before it hangs... I can't seem to get a legit fix to that error]]

and then it hangs. if I let it sit, after a while it adds "Resetting IOCatalogue" and that's it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with whatever fix I applied that let the Installer boot install to a MBR partitioned drive, but I don't know. Anyone have something to suggest?

Thanks

Jake

Hi,

I follow this excellent guide very carfully but i cant get past the boot sequence. I have tried the common boot flags to no avail.

From reading previous posts i found that i need to do 3.b but i cant even get to the installer so i am kind of stuck.

My hardware is Sabertooth P67 + i5 +GTX570 +4GB RAM

ixnGO.jpg

Hi,

I follow this excellent guide very carfully but i cant get past the boot sequence. I have tried the common boot flags to no avail.

From reading previous posts i found that i need to do 3.b but i cant even get to the installer so i am kind of stuck.

My hardware is Sabertooth P67 + i5 +GTX570 +4GB RAM

ixnGO.jpg

Myllerman

It looks to me like your panic is when it calls com.apple.driver.AppleCPUPowerManagement so that leads me to believe that you didn't install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... Maybe double-check that and try again?

Jake

Myllerman

It looks to me like your panic is when it calls com.apple.driver.AppleCPUPowerManagement so that leads me to believe that you didn't install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... Maybe double-check that and try again?

Jake

I installed it. Spent many hours trying to fix it now. Changing BIOS settings, trying different kext, flags etc..etc.. :wallbash:

*edit*

Got it to work with another method (that i cant say in this forum?) but i am sure this vanilla method would work too if i figured out what was wrong.

I came across alot of obstacles including enumerating USB and not finding root device that was solved by taking out the usb stick and putting it in another slot while it was running.. fun hack.. then i needed PCIRootUID=0 or the screen went black. Now it all works and i am getting "decent" bench scores. I am not going to fiddle with it more atm. I don't use any DSDT etc.. but i will later to get maximum performance out of the system.

Got a bit off topic sorry. Thanks for this great guide anyway. I learned alot from it.

Thanks for the detailed guide. I am a newbie and am following the instructions but getting stuck on grey screen after selecting English as the language of install. -v flag gave the attached log (CPU Halted). System shuts down after displaying the attached for a flash of second. Have tried multiple flags and SMBios (MB Pro and MB) but did not help.

I am on Sony Vaio SR220J - T5800 2GHz, 2GB RAM 64bit. Display adapter = Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset Family

Please let me know if any more information about my system is required. Any pointers are highly appreciated. TIA.

post-1107043-0-96649400-1355774451_thumb.jpg

Hi all!

After some troubles i've installed and moved the two kext from the usb to the installation hdd...but when I start up the system, after it showed me tons of rows of code, the screen shut down as there's no signal, so I've deleted NVDAResman.kext and now it boot up, but the risolution isn't good....

Could you please help me? I already had this problem on Lion and I've not found a solution :(

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have an ASUS n61jv with this specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-350M processor 2.26 GHz

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM55

LCD: 16.0” 16:9 LED backlight (1366*768)

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1066MHZ (tops 8GB)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeGorce GT 325M with DDR3 1GB VRAM + Intel HD Graphics

Audio: SonicMaster + Altec Lansing stereo speakers + SRS Premium Sound

HDD: SATA HDD 320GB

Networking: 802.11b/g/N – Lan integrated 10/100/1000

Ethernet device: Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit

Wifi device: Atheros AR9285

1xHDMI, 1xE-SATA, 1x USB3.0, 2xUSB 2.0, 1xVGA, Auric/Mic-in, 8 in 1 card reader, Express Card, 1x LAN port(RJ45)

Webcam: 2MP Webcam w/ mic

Dimensions: 384 x 265 x 27.8-37.4 mm, 2.71 kg

Battery: 6 Cells Li-Ion

Others: Multi-gesture touchpad, Full-sized keyboard, numeric keyboard

This is what I can see after boot my MAC OS X Base System installer.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14555864/DSCF5038.JPG

Verify you've got fakesmc.kext in /system/library/extensions on your install USB. If you have use the link provided in the guide to download and install the latest version (if not it should be there anyway so still do this).

If that doesn't work try booting with -v -x -f npci=0x3000.

Report back if it sill doesn't work there's a few bits we can try...

• Like 1

Hi rockinron_1. At first, thank you for your help.

Well, i've tried typing what you have recommened me and changing the fakesmc ketx, but it doesn't work.

All I can see after boot is my screen all black.

What can I do? Maybe i3 cores are unsuported? I've read someone has a succesfull hack with my laptop, but I'm losing hope...

Thanks again, and if you can help me anyway, I'll be so gratefull.

If you have access to a hdmi monitor can you plug in a hdmi lead to your laptops port and see if it works? (almost certain this is your problem & we can fix it easily)

i3's are definitely supported. If the above doesn't work can you type -v when you select to boot your installer, take a photo of where it stopps & post it here.

Thanks for your help rockinron_1! I'll try with a monitor connected by HDMI and I'll take a photo, but I can't now, I'm very busy studying.

I don't want you think I'm ignoring your advise! Thank you very much! I'll try as soon as posible!

• Like 1

Hi rockinron_1! I've tried with a monitor connected by VGA, This is the same like try it with the HDMI connection? Or it's important that the connection be HDMI?

I've tried with iAtkos ML2 method, I've been able to finish the instalation, I have reboot, and when I've boot from the ML HDD, this is what I can see.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14555864/DSCF5041.JPG

Thanks for help! ;)

Hi rockinron_1! I've tried with a monitor connected by VGA, This is the same like try it with the HDMI connection? Or it's important that the connection be HDMI?

I've tried with iAtkos ML2 method, I've been able to finish the instalation, I have reboot, and when I've boot from the ML HDD, this is what I can see.

https://dl.dropbox.c...64/DSCF5041.JPG

Thanks for help! ;)

Unless I've missed something its just not picking up on the graphics, try the following:

Use the extra folder I have attached.

Copy the kexts I have attached to /system/library/extensions on your usb stick.

Boot with -v -f post output here it if doesn't boot.

Apologies for the slow reply.

Does it work on my IMEDIA X4210 IT???

Can someone help me step by step please?

If this guide isn't step-by-step enough for you then I would suggest you don't attempt it.

Edit: attachment here:http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/84949997/file.html

(forum won't let me upload for some reason)

Ok, researched everything, passed the tests...now i'm stuck early..

I'm following this and installed ML on virtualbox on a windows 7 dell xps 702x, prep the usb and now i can't figure out how to get the ML image in virtualbox as when i try to copy it on a 8gb flash drive says the file it's too large.

Was trying another method earlier and burn it with TransMac and had the same problem, the file shows as double size when trying to copy it somewhere and can't figure out how to share the win folder within virtualbox, any idea?

Thanks

And forgot that with a iatkos l2 i was able to do all that but just unable to create the bootable drive correctly due to the guide being less detailed, is there some other method to follow you recommend? like burning a dvd?

Hi I am kinda new to the scene. Thanks for the guide. I followed it to a tee

But when I boot to my "OS X" (ML) drive from the USB drive I get the grey apple screen and after a few I get a circle with a line through it (kinda like a no entry). I don't see my drive light going on either.

I tried -x options for single mode, but still no luck.

Any Thoughts ?

FYI - I tried to boot directly to the ML drive but it just sits there it doesn't even start loading anything.

The drive is a new Intel SSD 180 GB.

MB -GA-P35C-DS3R Rev1.1

CPU E6600

4GB Memory (another 4 is waiting in the wings)UIpdat

Update - I tried verbose mode and I the message Still waiting for root device. Looks like something wrong with the drive. Perhaps I need to start again ?

Why is copying over stuff from BaseSystem.dmg necessary? On a real Mac all that's needed is InstallESD.dmg.

Because a hackintosh isn't a real mac? It's a different process. Also chameleon won't mount .dmg's so we have to do it ourself.

Basesystem.dmg is the recovery environment we use to install OS X, InstallESD contains the packages required to do so.

Hi I am kinda new to the scene. Thanks for the guide. I followed it to a tee

But when I boot to my "OS X" (ML) drive from the USB drive I get the grey apple screen and after a few I get a circle with a line through it (kinda like a no entry). I don't see my drive light going on either.

I tried -x options for single mode, but still no luck.

Any Thoughts ?

FYI - I tried to boot directly to the ML drive but it just sits there it doesn't even start loading anything.

The drive is a new Intel SSD 180 GB.

MB -GA-P35C-DS3R Rev1.1

CPU E6600

4GB Memory (another 4 is waiting in the wings)UIpdat

Update - I tried verbose mode and I the message Still waiting for root device. Looks like something wrong with the drive. Perhaps I need to start again?

Try booting with: npci=0x2000 -v -x -f

If it still gives "still waiting for..." check your HDD isn't plugged into 6GB/s SATA. If you have different coloured SATA ports, try it in the different colours.

Failing that post a screenshot here if it still hangs.

P.S. -x is safe mode, -s is single user mode