[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Mavericks!)

Mountain Lion Vanilla OS X Chameleon DSDT Beginner Guide How-to

• Please log in to reply
722 replies to this topic

Jakuya

Jakuya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,

I make the process with Iomega Prestige 2TB compatiblite with USB 3.0 and I have one P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3, and when I connect the external hard drive to the USB 3.0 Port or 2.0 Port, I enter on UEFI/F8 and don't detect.

What I do?

Sorry for my french! :king: Thanks in advance!

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi ron...

Started a new thread and Gringo Vermehlo is very kindly helping out there...

Thanks for all your help.

I do now that If I can get the sleep fixed for once and for all I will definitely be looking for a place to post the dsdt. There are many people with this board from what I've seen these past 2 years or so and noone seemingly has ever got a dsdt that will work as expected... or is properly explained.

Only hope we can get it resolved.

and once again as I mentioned... Not a hope of booting with the standard IOPCIFamily.kext,,, always boots without the spinner and rarely if ever gets past the [ pci config begin ] stage

With Netkas's patched file,,, boots every time and with the wheel! =)

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Jakuya... it sounds to me as if you did not install the boot loader....you need to follow the instructions step-by-step. You should not need F8 or any other F key.... If your Bios is correctly set up it will see the boot loader (Chemeleon or Chimera) on boot....

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ah so the white screen is what you notice when using an ATI6xxx card. I know this series has been troublesome, though some didn't experience the issue, I was trying to see if I could be one of the lucky ones =P, though I didn't know what to look out for.

Great guide. All manual steps, the same ones I've been following all throughout Lion, and aside from the quirks of an InstallESD.dmg, this is how I've always installed OS X since 10.5. I always updated my installers too, whenever there was a new updated dmg. With Lion and onwards, it's great because the app store updates it with every point update. I'm curious if once I can get a hold of a 10.8.1 dmg, if I could see if this ATI6xxx kext permission issue is resolved.

On another note, I was getting stuck at IOACPIFamily kext KP's. I couldn't find much concrete answers, though some people have had to use patched kexts for their setups, which I'm reluctant to do. I decided to try a different dmg source, and this one brought me up to a white screen! Hah.

kannu1994

kannu1994

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hey,

I just finished installing Mountain Lion on my HP Dv9838ca except I'm having issues booting using my HDD.

I can boot using the bootloader that was installed on the USB that I used to install the OS but not directly from the HDD.

I started this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=282272 to provide more detail as to what I did.

Thanks for any help!

HeavyGamerXX94

HeavyGamerXX94

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Repairing Computers Hardware/Software, Gaming, Hacking Game Consoles.
Everything is actually working with the BeSweet Guide (a while ago) only one slight problem, is that when I shutdown the computer it turns itself on again. I have a "wake on lan from s5" feature that says next to it "power on" in Bios in gray color which means I cannot change it, I tried DSDT patcher with no luck now i'll try the DSDT editor and see if I'll fix it. thanks for the guide! :)

I used both custom DSDT(.aml) and DropSSDT and I still have the same problem, if there's a fix for it, please let me know. this problem happened to me on both Lion and Mountain Lion, but it never happened in L or SL. (probably because of the variety of kexts such as OpenHaltRestart & EvOreboot)

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
As a ATI6000 user, I was dreading the workaround for getting past the white screen. Found another user with a neat trick. To quote him:

Solved all my 6870 problems by reinstalling without removing any kexts using a SATA HD instead of a USB dongle, then, when you get stuck at the white screen with the mouse cursor, just press the power button to put the computer to sleep, and wake it back up. after that the apple installation screen magically pops up.

Note that I still used a usb flash drive, though the trick works well for me. Also, sleep needs to be able to work, so no nullcpupowermanagement.kext for the installer. Lastly, since you'll be sleeping it, and since my setup requires the cmos reset patch, it will reset the cmos at next restart =P. No biggie though.

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
Sleep is only required to work for 69xx series AFAIK, certainly 68xx series don't need to sleep to access the installer it you've removed the kext. Also the sleep fix didn't work for my hd6870; but with fixes like this its all a bit hand-wavey anyway so if it works for you then great!

Everything is actually working with the BeSweet Guide (a while ago) only one slight problem, is that when I shutdown the computer it turns itself on again. I have a "wake on lan from s5" feature that says next to it "power on" in Bios in gray color which means I cannot change it, I tried DSDT patcher with no luck now i'll try the DSDT editor and see if I'll fix it. thanks for the guide! :)

I used both custom DSDT(.aml) and DropSSDT and I still have the same problem, if there's a fix for it, please let me know. this problem happened to me on both Lion and Mountain Lion, but it never happened in L or SL. (probably because of the variety of kexts such as OpenHaltRestart & EvOreboot)

Open org.chemeleon.boot.plist and check the restart fix, failing that If evoreboot fixed your problem last time then try it this time as well.

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Well I'm on a 6850 here, and the trick worked for me.

On another note, I updated Cham on my drive (so won't have to use the usb installer) to boot my 10.8 install, and while it works great, it no longer boots my Lion install.

Went from build 1627 to 2048, any insights anyone? Will have to rollback to get to it.

Edit: Reverted, all is back. What's strange to me is that I used the same 2048 for both a ML usb installer, and a Lion 10.7.4 usb installer. The other thing I may have done simultaneously was path my AppleRTC.kext, but that wouldn't cause it right? Bah.

uizarde

uizarde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Perfect, thanks

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
My usb sound card doesn't output sound after waking from sleep. It's still detected and volume adjustments work, there's just no sound. replugging it fixes it, anyone have something like this happen?

MerlinUO

MerlinUO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the guide.

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts

My usb sound card doesn't output sound after waking from sleep. It's still detected and volume adjustments work, there's just no sound. replugging it fixes it, anyone have something like this happen?

I had this problem, haven't experience it recently though, only thing I've done is update to 10.8.1. I'm not sure exactly what the 10.8.1 update consisted of but it seems to have worked

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I had this problem, haven't experience it recently though, only thing I've done is update to 10.8.1. I'm not sure exactly what the 10.8.1 update consisted of but it seems to have worked

Well, I repaired perms a couple times, and even re-installed the 10.8.1 combo update, and no luck =/.

darkcosmos

darkcosmos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hey guys, I have a Sony Vaio SVE1511L1EW.CEK and I followed this tutorial, upon booting the USB for installation, the wheel spins for about a minute then I get a grey "stop" sign, not really sure why, any ideas?

Here are my specs
Processor: Intel core i5 2.5GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thanks for any help :)

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
Boot with -v and post a shot of where it stopps

darkcosmos

darkcosmos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
EDIT: Here is an image of -v as requested:

Posted Image

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
Try booting with npci=0x3000 or failing that 0x2000

darkcosmos

darkcosmos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
No luck with either =[ any other ideas?

Yezus

Yezus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
I am using Asus P5W DH, 8GB, Intel Q6600 not over clocked,
Using MyHack I am able to instal 10.7.4 or 10.8.0 but .......
I have to use ATI HD5570 1GB to run it when I have bought HD6970 2GB
especially for Hackintosh (as iMac using mobile version) also USB is very slow
and I am not able to find useful kexts.
My Atom330 2GB on D945GCLF2D is faster with SnowLeopard.
Is it easier to buy Gigabyte motherboard with i5 or i7 CPU or should
I stick with mine motherboard which supposed to work with all OSX systems ??????

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Vanilla OS X, Chameleon, DSDT, Beginner, Guide, How-to

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy