[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Mavericks!)

Mountain Lion Vanilla OS X Chameleon DSDT Beginner Guide How-to

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Further to compatible hardware you will need:
1. A working install of OS X (this may be in a virtual machine or a native install) to prepare the installer
2. A flash drive of minimum size 8GB
3. A copy of Mountain Lion
4. Patience

Just a question here ron... can this not be achieved on a WInbox with a suitable boot loader? Not sure how I got my initial hack up but I didn't have access ti a Mac since my iMac was dead..... Luckily I was able to salvage the HD content when I got the hack up and running...

dmg's are certainly browseable in Poweriso but don't remember if thats how I went about it... Might be worth playing with some rainy day...but it rarely rains here!

No doubt about it though.... a working install of OS X makes life a heckuva lot easier...

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
-- as for the sleep problem (and remember it did work perfectly prior to changing stuff around...

Tried all sorts of stuff... adding further hacks to the dsdt, a perl fix for AppleRTC.kext, adding back in SleepEnabler.kext and even a script called rip3 for Lion (latest version I could find)... even with all those in I still cannot get the cpu to power down,,,

Console message is as follows:
System sleep prevented by pci11c1,5811

Thought it may have had something to do with the Netkas IOPCIfamily.kext I have to use (as I cannot boot at all with the regular version of it...
No clue what I have to do here.... and am reluctant to mess around without any good advice as I somehow managed to upset the system clock in all of this,,,, was around 7 hours out on reboot! =(

Hope you or someone who knows what they're about can help with this problem,,,,

Thanks as always

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
Take your FireWire card out / disable it in bios if it's on board. See if it sleeps then.

With a pc installer of chameleon (afaik doesn't exist atm) you could probably make the installer on a pc but without access to a mac you can't download a copy of os x making the process illegal hence in keeping with the ethos of this forum I haven't explored that option...

tubbiesss

tubbiesss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Hi, I've previously had a running ML system installed by a different method. But the system would hang after a certain period. Upon re-installing to SL using the same method, the same problem persist. So I am assuming its not an OS issue..
I then did a search for an alternative method to install ML and stumbled upon your thread.
I think I have followed everything correctly, cept I had to choose MBR instead GUID because GUID wasn't readable.
Also I had to manually remove ATI6000controller.kext in order to install ML, else it won't proceed.
After installation, I'm faced with a KP, below is a screenshot of it.
Would appreciate any help on what went wrong.
Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
On my phone so can't recall the exact step but you need to install nullcpupowermanagement; the explanation of how to do it is in the guide

tubbiesss

tubbiesss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

On my phone so can't recall the exact step but you need to install nullcpupowermanagement; the explanation of how to do it is in the guide

Thanks for the prompt reply, Rockinron.
I have the nullcpupowermanagement.kext placed in my USB in S/L/E. Should manually install it through a 2nd bootable OS?

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts
You need to do step 3.b in the guide

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
Dumb question, but will this boot with 1gb of ram at all?

tubbiesss

tubbiesss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

My deepest apology. I assumed the underlined text as "boot with the USB" rather than "boot into".
After proceeding with 3.b, I'm now in ML. Proceeding to DSDT patching now.
Thanks a bunch for the great guide, Rockinron!!

pixellegolas

pixellegolas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for creating this guide. I have read through it even though I actually used the beast method, I guess because I was a total noob 2 days ago and it looked most eyecatching to a untrained eye ;) But some info here will help me with some issues I have I think. Made a thread in 10.8 thread that I can only boot from usb and with PCIRootUID=0 flag. With some info about chameleon and dsdt I can probably fix. Otherwise my graphics, sound and network seems to work fine

Thanks again

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts

Dumb question, but will this boot with 1gb of ram at all?

If it did it would be laggy - I could never recommend running an OS with specs below those recommended.

Thanks for creating this guide. I have read through it even though I actually used the beast method, I guess because I was a total noob 2 days ago and it looked most eyecatching to a untrained eye ;) But some info here will help me with some issues I have I think. Made a thread in 10.8 thread that I can only boot from usb and with PCIRootUID=0 flag. With some info about chameleon and dsdt I can probably fix. Otherwise my graphics, sound and network seems to work fine

Thanks again

Boot from the usb, install chameleon (included in the attachment) -> boot from your hdd typing pciroot... -> if it panics post a screenshot if not use chameleon wizard to set the pciroot... flag permanently

pixellegolas

pixellegolas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Posted Image

I don't have the hackintosh plugged in right now but just before I screenshotted the panic error. Will try the other stuff later tonight. I think I installed chameleon right but guess I need to edit some files also :) Thanks

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Take your FireWire card out / disable it in bios if it's on board. See if it sleeps then.

With a pc installer of chameleon (afaik doesn't exist atm) you could probably make the installer on a pc but without access to a mac you can't download a copy of os x making the process illegal hence in keeping with the ethos of this forum I haven't explored that option...

I was thinking along the lines of EasyBSD.... but not sure if that will do the trick....

Have another major issue... The clock is wrong....!!! tried everything even reverting back to a non-patched dsdt and kexts.... Not sure if its a bug or an issue with the time servers. even replaced my mobo battery! Looks like I'll have to restart from scratch and install fresh to troubleshoot... put it on manual for the moment! WIll keep the firewire thing in mind...

UPDATE

Disabled firewire in Bios, Rebooted... sleep shuts down the cpu lights everything... when I wake with the mouse it seems to think about what it wants to do but instead of waking goes into the reboot cycle. Added back in SleepEnabler.kext... no difference!

rockinron_1

rockinron_1

InsanelyMac Sage

• FAQ Team
  • 394 posts

Posted Image

I don't have the hackintosh plugged in right now but just before I screenshotted the panic error. Will try the other stuff later tonight. I think I installed chameleon right but guess I need to edit some files also :) Thanks

I was thinking along the lines of EasyBSD.... but not sure if that will do the trick....

Have another major issue... The clock is wrong....!!! tried everything even reverting back to a non-patched dsdt and kexts.... Not sure if its a bug or an issue with the time servers. even replaced my mobo battery! Looks like I'll have to restart from scratch and install fresh to troubleshoot... put it on manual for the moment! WIll keep the firewire thing in mind...

UPDATE

Disabled firewire in Bios, Rebooted... sleep shuts down the cpu lights everything... when I wake with the mouse it seems to think about what it wants to do but instead of waking goes into the reboot cycle. Added back in SleepEnabler.kext... no difference!

Maybe try generate p&c states in org.chameleon... Or the sleep fix. Or disable legacy usb devices in Bios. There the basic fixes I can recall right now. Play about a bit. Not sure there's much more I can offer so if you can't get it going post to a new thread in the forum; given that it sleeps fine someone should be able to help you make it wake.

If you re-enable the firewire card and remove the _PWR event for it from your DSDT that should stop it waking the pc

xxfaxioxx

xxfaxioxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi I have a problem... when i boot the installer of ML i get a black screen after a while... I've tryied PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1 but i have the same problem how i can solve this??
sory for my very bad english but I'm italian

asus p5kpl-am se
intel pentium E6800
nVidia geforce gt220

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

hi I have a problem... when i boot the installer of ML i get a black screen after a while... I've tryied PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1 but i have the same problem how i can solve this??

asus p5kpl-am se
intel pentium E6800
nVidia geforce gt220

visto las ASUS P5Q están dando bastante follón, pero se soluciona con poner en Disabled el Max CPUID Value Limit.

xxfaxioxx

xxfaxioxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

visto las ASUS P5Q están dando bastante follón, pero se soluciona con poner en Disabled el Max CPUID Value Limit.

max CPUID Value limit it' s already disabled on my pc...other suggestions?

pixellegolas

pixellegolas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks! Did 3.b and installed a fresh chameleon. Changes some stuff in the chameleon file and got it working. However when I skipped usb loader I could not g et network working. But after finding a atheros kext, I used a kext tool and voila, now everything seems to work fine.

I wonder what to do next when it comes to optimize. Will read further about it. Thanks for the guide, it gave me alot of insight

asus p5kpl-am se
intel pentium E6800
nVidia geforce gt220

Have you tried also GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No?

I have PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

xxfaxioxx

xxfaxioxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Have you tried also GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No?

I have PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

i' ve tried everything... npci=0x3000 (with this it don' t stuck on pci configuration begin but after a while it return to the black screen too) graphicsenabler pcirootuid and more... but nothing

xxfaxioxx

xxfaxioxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i' ve solved the problem... PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes worked fine! 3 hours of google to found the solution D:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Vanilla OS X, Chameleon, DSDT, Beginner, Guide, How-to

6 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy