[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Sure I will!

I was feeling like such an idiot when I found that the well-known indispensable kext was not there and that I have wasted my rest time yesterday night with multiple attempts to start a system that could never start in that way.

Installation is just over. Reboot to USB stick just done; going to copy the two kexts from USB stick  to Hard Disk's S/L/E.... Update in few minutes to confirm if the disk installation may finally boot by itself...

OK!

Sorry for the silent time since my previous post but, to be very honest, yesterday evening I was so excited by the successful results in having the installer working that I focused completely on the finalization of the installation. 

The 10.9.2 is successfully installed on the hard drive and I can boot from it. A few troubles needed to be sorted out like the lack of the proper kext in S/L/E for my Realtek 8112L onboard Eth controller.

Now my system is 'substantially' working but, on top of lacking (as expected) any sound output device (I did not focus yet on this issue till now) I have my graphic card non detected and my boot stops before the splash screen if I have GraphicsEnabler parameter set to Yes. 

Booting with no graphic enablement let me enter my system, buy the MAC summary reports just a generic Monitor with 5MB of memory with no reference at all to the HD 5670 unit.

I Googled till very late last night and found plenty of discussions in many different forums, all (or most) of them stating (or leading to the conclusion) that yes, the HD 5670 should work OOB with QE/CI fully enabled.

However, although I tried to install all the possible flavors of kexts suggested within such discussions (by the way: most of them related to HD5450) and although I have made 100% sure that the ID of my card (manufacturer: AMD = 1002; Device Id: 68d8 (Redwood [Radeon HD5670] ) was indeed included in the concerned kexts, there was no way to have the card detected and graphics acceleration activated.

At this point in time, having tried (clearly not successfully enough) to build some better knowledge during my long searches yesterday night, I have two different goals in front of me, both of them with almost the same importance:

1) find a quick and dirty way to make my XFX (AMD) Radeon HD 5670 working in my 10.9.2 installation as soon as possible, since THIS friday I need to move my PC to a location where I have no internet connection else than a 14.4 3G modem with a limited monthly data traffic and I would then be quite impaired in downloading stuffs and browsing forums on the internet.

2) improve my knowledge anyway and understand the mechanism making kexts loaded (or not) by the system, especially about those that are governing the graphics and the audio, so that I can eventually build/fix them now and especially in case of any future need.

About my first goal, I would be extremely grateful to anyone who might wish to share with me some proven-working kexts (and the relevant instructions about the configuration to set in the Chameleon Wizard) that may activate a XFX Radeon HD 5670 on a 10.9.2 installation

About my second goal, I would appreciate as well any hint for finding adequate literature explaining the mechanisms governing the 'injection' of kexts in OS X. I am not scared by possible deep technical documentation since I am familiar with both HW and SW design (including assembler and machine code) but I am really quite new to the OSX world.

Thanks to anyone wishing to share hit experience.

Marco

Hi Guys,

I followed the guide for ML, and I'm having trouble getting to the installer interface for Mountain Lion.  I booted up in verbose mode, and the attached screenshot is what was on the screen right before it goes black and the display goes to sleep.  I'm using a Supermicro X8SAX motherboard.  

Please.... help!!! 

Thanks!

Josh

post-1344647-0-36941500-1399519143_thumb.png

Hi Artur, thanks for the response, here are my full specs...

Supermicro X8SAX Motherboard

Intel Core i7-960

MSI N9400GT-MD1G GeForce 9400 GT 1GB

12GB (4GBx3) Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800

1TB SATA Seagate 3.5" HDD

4TB SATA Hitachi 3.5" HDD

HP SATA DVD-RW

I will say that I did have success last night booting using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Snow Leopard and I have a relatively functional vanilla Snow Leopard install.   But for some reason, I just can't get Mountain Lion to get to the installer.  

Thanks again for your help and please let me know if you need more spec info! :)

Hello,

Many thanks for the detailed guide. I have only a problem: DiskUtility copies only the Packages folder on the USB, the rest of Mavericks is absent. Is that ok?

open /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

then restore on Disk Utility copies only the Packages folder. Is there a point of deleting the folders therein and replacing with the ones in the Mavericks.app?

post-307057-0-55693500-1399807892_thumb.png

Hi All. I'm relatively new to the forum, and after a bit of reading decided to take a stab at installing Mavericks on my laptop (see my sig for specs).  I'm installing it to it's own drive (no dual boot).  Presently I can't get the installer to load. I've attached a screenshot of where it stops. I thought the problem seemed similar to MarcoCarlo's, as mine seems to halt right at the bluetooth message, but following those suggestions did not work for me. Can anyone offer some insight regarding the error messages shown? It's very much appreciated. 

post-1277862-0-47851400-1400206549_thumb.jpg

When the system is stuck at this particular stage, it usually means it does not initializes graphics and cannot switch to the OS X desktop. You could try to boot with option GraphicsEnabler=No and go for a DSDT injection of your graphics card details.

Thanks for the advice. I tried artur's suggestion, but basically got the same outcome. Oddly after I put the NVDA kexts back on the drive,  I booted using -v and GraphicsEnabler=No....and now I'm at the install screen. I swear I had tried this before, but apparently not? Im going to try and make it through the rest of the process and see what happens. 

Edit: So far so good. Formatted the HDD using disk utility and currently installing. I had to use an external keyboard and mouse since the laptop's were apparently not detected. 

Re: keyboard and mouse, once you're operational, go to the Bluetooth Prefpane and untick the 2 options at the top. You could be in a situation where it's actually looking for BT keyboard and mouse.

This makes sense. So the install completed, and I booted back into the USB installer....launched terminal...and copied the fakesmc and nullcpu kexts over to the new drive. Upon rebooting I selected the new drive, added the -v and graphicsenabler flags. A few seconds in the system reboots. The reboot occurs too quickly to actually see what the console output says. I guess I could take a video of it and check the last frame before it reboots. I'll try this and then post back a bit later. Thanks again for the help! Getting close!

Edit: Attached screenshot of last console output before reboot. I've gotta go to work now, but will hammer away at it a bit later. 

post-1277862-0-06748000-1400243847_thumb.png

You need to patch your kernel www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

Your spot on. I had patched the original kernel, but never copied it over to the new drive. Now that it's copied over I don't have the reboots, but have stalled in the console once again. I'm going to keep reading through the docs and see if I missed something else. I'll post the screenshot in case anyone has a suggestion. Thanks again everyone. You're gold. 

Edit: Thought that I needed to copy FakeSMC and NullCPU kexts from the USB drive to the new system, but they are already there. Any ideas?

Update: Got it to boot into the new system by adding the safe more flag (-x). Going to go ahead and install chameleon and start troubleshooting the hardware related issues. 

post-1277862-0-89718500-1400280277_thumb.jpg

Yo Poken!! :D

I'm trying this with 10.9.3 on my intel i3 350m (1st gen)

• usb boots fine without any errors
  •  
    reached welcome screen (choose language + next)
  •  
    as soon as I click next it shuts down
  •  
    I have remade the usb three times now
I don't get whats wrong.....

so help me plz  :frantics:  :frantics:  :help:  :help:

It may be a problem with your usb or your installer. Try creating again, with another usb.

Did that already 4 times...tried two different fakeSMCs...don't know what to do

• 2 weeks later...

Starting my first install on a Dell 17 (3721)  I have a system running Hackintosh, but plan on redoing on my own once I get the Dell up and running.  (3rd party and didnt learn squat)

I'm getting this error message when I try and restore for mav.

See screen shot.  Noticed the grey'd out mav file, not sure why.  Followed guide

Thanks

Paul

post-1349599-0-27216200-1402071651_thumb.png

eject all others HD that you not using, or try restore from terminal like this:

sudo asr -noprompt restore --source (drag here OS X base System) --target (drag here your USB) --erase

Hey guys, I copied all steps from the guide above and am able to boot into the installer without any boot flags. But something weird comes up in the very beginning of the installer being launched: A windows opens up called "OS X Utilities," which I assume is normal.

I was able to successfully partition my hard drive for the install, but when I exit out of it, it brings me back to this utilities windows and I can't do anything from there. The applications listed in the box are: Restore From Time Machine backup, Reinstall OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utilities.

I figured "Reinstalling OS X" would be a sensible method of ultimately installing OS X, but of unfortunately when I click it, it brings up a window titled "Install OS X" and a dialogue box that says "This is not a supported method of installing the operating system. Please run install OS X Mavericks.app that you downloaded from the app store." And I don't know what to do from there.

I'm thinking that maybe I should run the applet file from terminal manually with the open command. I'm also certain that the applet is embedded within the USB installer in its root. I've tried dragging it to the folder called applications in hope that it will show up in the box along with the other applications, but that hasn't succeeded. I'm trying to install Mavericks rev3 (10.9.3).

Here's the sector of the error log that has to do with the reinstaller that I extracted: http://pastebin.com/ZgS13E3J Now I know it has to do with the applet. I'll look into it and tell what ever I find. 

• 4 weeks later...

What else can be done to fix the boot0: error I have tried with two different USBs and it still happens.

I'm sure that I have followed every step in the guide.

What would you recommend ?

Thank you.

use a Pen installation.

read more:

• Download boot1h.zip, unzip it and copy boot1h file to the OS X USB Installer
  • Boot into the installer, open Disk Utility and unmount the OS X partition ( important )
  • Close Disk Utility, open Terminal and type

use a Pen installation.

read more:

• Download boot1h.zip, unzip it and copy boot1h file to the OS X USB Installer
  • Boot into the installer, open Disk Utility and unmount the OS X partition ( important )
  • Close Disk Utility, open Terminal and type

What's Pen installation mate? I haven't seen this word around these guides..

I have tried today another guide, which is similar to this one, still having this boot0: error.

I have tried these steps also with the boot1h.zip file, it didn't help.

If I could just bypass this error I'm kind of sure that I'll manage from there, why is it so complicated?

Thank you for helping, if you got more advices I'll be glad to hear them.